PDA

View Full Version : A question regarding switching teams and value

MLB_Authentic
02-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Ok, I am starting to think that Joe Mauer is not interested in resigning with the Twins. If that happens, and he ends up a Red Sox or Yankee, what does that do to the value of his stuff? I would imagine with a lesser player, it may decrease the value, but what about one of the best players in the game with a legit chance at the HOF?

Specifically, a 2009 Photomatched Mauer Bat used during his MVP Season, 3rd batting title year, and matched to 3 home runs?

If he does leave the Twins, this is an item I no longer need.

Opinions welcomed.

dcgreg25
02-25-2010, 04:06 PM
As an Indians fan, I have run into this issue on multiple occasions. In my experience, there is a short-term drop in value as fans of the team sell off their items. The Indians have lost some great players in the past ten years and many times the fans have turned against the player. However, as the players career arc becomes clear the value of their early items follows. With a superstar, once they start to hit HOF milestones (500 HR, 3000 hits, etc) the values start to rise again. Manny Ramirez is a good example. As he winds down his career his early items are still very valuable despite what was a nasty parting when he left Cleveland for Boston.

joelsabi
02-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Ok, I am starting to think that Joe Mauer is not interested in resigning with the Twins. If that happens, and he ends up a Red Sox or Yankee, what does that do to the value of his stuff? I would imagine with a lesser player, it may decrease the value, but what about one of the best players in the game with a legit chance at the HOF?

Specifically, a 2009 Photomatched Mauer Bat used during his MVP Season, 3rd batting title year, and matched to 3 home runs?

If he does leave the Twins, this is an item I no longer need.

Opinions welcomed.

Demand goes down and Supply goes up in the strongest market (Minnesota) so Price goes down. The Minnesota items will become secondary choices for Yankee collectors or Red Sox collector and Mauer collectors as they would prefer items from when Mauer is iown their team. Later, diehard HOF collectors will take interest and the price goes back up.

It also comes down to public perception of why he jumped ship. ARod had a huge backlash in Seattle when he signed for money with Texas and Mariners collectors couldn't wait to dump his stuff.

gingi79
02-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Not in Mauer's ballpark however, I sold two Jeff Francoeur jerseys for $750-$1000 when he was a Brave. I am having no luck selling them at $225 now that he is a Met. Bats sold for $250 now don't sell at $125. That is a 50 to 70% plummet in resale price.

He did go to a rival and who would want a Braves jersey if you were a Mets fan? However, if he leaves the Mets for say the Red Sox, some of his stuff may go up again.

staindsox
02-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Joe's stuff will definitely go down from where it is now. I will mention Johan Santana. His Twins stuff doesn't sell for half of what it did when he was with the team. Lots of people lose interest because he isn't on their team anymore.

Chris
staindsox@hotmail.com

MLB_Authentic
02-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks for all the opinions. Man I hope he stays though. I just can't see him staying if he isnt signed before this season starts.

punch
02-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks for all the opinions. Man I hope he stays though. I just can't see him staying if he isnt signed before this season starts.

I'm glued to any Twins news here in the Cities, and none of the local sports talkers think Mauer is going anywhere. They will have this deal done before the start of the season and it's gonna be for big bucks. They are taking their time with the deal, much like they did with Puckett's big contracts back in the day. Puckett's deals took months before they were announced.

Keep the hope alive!

(if you want to start liquidating your Mauer collection now, let me know:D)

soxfan
02-25-2010, 06:51 PM
I think that any "team specific" stuff will suffer in the short term, but the generic memorabilia (balls, cleats, etc) will stay the same.

I for one like to have the current team's items, but if it is a bat without the team name on the barrel, then I feel the value holds.

Jeremy
macleodjeremy@hotmail.com

nomarmauerfan
02-25-2010, 08:28 PM
The word down here in Ft. Myers is that the contract is going to be done tomorrow. 9+1 years. The only hang-up is the amount deferred money. Everyone (including a "mystery" person in the front office) is saying tomorrow is the day. I will tell you that Joe is VERY different this year. He has been less friendly and has been a disappointment to my kids. They have been getting up early to get to the stadium by 7am and have watched Joe drive by them in the golf cart with no one else around with the typical, "not now, I'm in a hurry". 2 years ago, he stopped and signed. To me, frustrating...to a 7-year old, devastating. I had to explain why he couldn't sign as she cried". Maybe, he'll get back to the "old Joe" after this thing is done. All of the regulars have also mentioned how he's different this year.

Mike

MLB_Authentic
02-25-2010, 08:30 PM
I know, thats what makes me think he's gone. He's turned into a true big leaguer.

The word down here in Ft. Myers is that the contract is going to be done tomorrow. 9+1 years. The only hang-up is the amount deferred money. Everyone (including a "mystery" person in the front office) is saying tomorrow is the day. I will tell you that Joe is VERY different this year. He has been less friendly and has been a disappointment to my kids. They have been getting up early to get to the stadium by 7am and have watched Joe drive by them in the golf cart with no one else around with the typical, "not now, I'm in a hurry". 2 years ago, he stopped and signed. To me, frustrating...to a 7-year old, devastating. I had to explain why he couldn't sign as she cried". Maybe, he'll get back to the "old Joe" after this thing is done. All of the regulars have also mentioned how he's different this year.

Mike

punch
02-25-2010, 11:02 PM

Mike

He was super nice to everyone that made it to him in his Twinfest line. Really nice to the kids, asking them questions and everything. Didn't really get a bad vibe off him. He was all smiles and taking time to answer peoples questions.

Hope he's not letting it all go to his head down in FL. Maybe he's just sick of this contract thing. Who knows what goes on in these guys heads.

geoff
02-26-2010, 12:31 AM
He will Sign And be A Twin for A Long Time. So no Worries as He is not going anywhere.