PDA

View Full Version : Mods: How to handle a member who is non-paying?

perlman9
02-25-2010, 10:01 AM
I know discussion has been had about sharing information about members who have been bad participants. There is a member who I sent items in good faith to get paid and have not received payment in over two months. I want to share the information with name to education others on the board about this member, but don't want misuse the board. How should I handle this to educate others? Thanks!

jason
jperlman@ohaflcio.org

sportscentury
02-25-2010, 10:16 AM
I know discussion has been had about sharing information about members who have been bad participants. There is a member who I sent items in good faith to get paid and have not received payment in over two months. I want to share the information with name to education others on the board about this member, but don't want misuse the board. How should I handle this to educate others? Thanks!

jason
jperlman@ohaflcio.org

I'm not a mod, but my vote (if I have one!) is to share the information. This is what helps us to look out for each other. Also, individuals who know the person may be able to offer insight or even help mediate. Just my two cents.

kellsox
02-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Is this regarding the member that you were looking fo in another post?

legaleagle92481
02-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Why would you ever send someone an item BEFORE you were paid?

perlman9
02-25-2010, 10:48 AM

Because I like to take people for their word and it seems as if so many on this board are stand-up people that I made a bad assumption but am still trying not to be jaded by a small minority, but getting harder and harder not to. So, I am taking my part in this by trusting someone so just wanted to share my experience with this board member not that someone should or should not deal with this member, but to at least not make the same mistake and trust them. Hey, if he wants to buy something and pays up front, then I got no problem with a board member selling to this party, but I think there are several people who like to trust the fellow collectors and this is not one to be trusted. Maybe I am naive but I was just trying to help a collector get an item they wanted and let me heart get in the way of my head. My bad but if others can learn from my mistakes, then I think at least something good comes from it.

perlman9
02-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Is this regarding the member that you were looking fo in another post?

Yes, same person but looks like it got deleted so again, just trying to be educational without being disrespectful so just want to make sure I provide the information in a way that helps others make better decisions than I did.

eisenreich8
02-25-2010, 11:12 AM
FWIW, I just completed a transaction with a forum member who sent me a GU bat for $0 up front, as partial payment for a GW jersey he wanted that I shipped to him before I received his check. It worked out great and we both made a new friend.

It should be a no-brainer on this board. It isn't, probably never will be a completely safe haven from fraud, but I don't blame the OP at all for his trusting manner.

I also just received a heart-warming GU gift from another well-known forum member which could have cost me no small cash on the open market, but he thought his gift was going to a good home and he was right. I will always be in his debt and remember his gesture.

This place can be like Kansas if we let it!

perlman9 I hope this all works out for you. Thanks for the thread!

sportscentury
02-25-2010, 12:44 PM

This is not unusual at all in the hobby. It's really no different than sending someone a check without having the item first (Paypal is marginally safer, I suppose). You take a risk either way.

As an aside, some hobby websites have a feedback system for members and actually require newer members with lower feedback scores to send items first when selling.

otismalibu
02-25-2010, 01:02 PM

Gotta agree with this question.

This is the sports memorabilia hobby/market. I'm sure there are many honorable men & women taking part, but this hobby is littered with crooks.

The adult film industry doesn't have as many people getting screwed on a daily basis.

Always try to eliminate as much risk as you can.

Oh and my vote is for public caning :)

sportscentury
02-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Gotta agree with this question.

This is the sports memorabilia hobby/market. I'm sure there are many honorable men & women taking part, but this hobby is littered with crooks.

The adult film industry doesn't have as many people getting screwed on a daily basis.

Always try to eliminate as much risk as you can.

Oh and my vote is for public caning :)

It largely depends on trust. I have a few buyers for whom I will send items first (sometimes they want to inspect the items before paying, for example), and it has never been a problem. If you don't know the person, though, certainly safer to get the money first. And if you are a buyer and don't know/trust the seller, pay with paypal using your credit card (paypal may desert you, but a good credit card will still have your back).

LastingsMilledge85
02-25-2010, 01:15 PM
I've never sold, only bought, but this is why I like paypal. I dealt with a member from the forum earlier in the month where he would only accept a check. I'm not sending anything until the item is in my hands because I couldn't take the risk of paying for something that I never got. Suprisingly, I did get the bat, and I sent the check the following day. I just don't see why someone wouldn't pay you because that was the most generous thing someone has done for me in this hobby. Yeah, I could have easily skipped out on the payment, but there's no way I could feel good about myself.

eisenreich8
02-25-2010, 02:49 PM
I've never sold, only bought, but this is why I like paypal. I dealt with a member from the forum earlier in the month where he would only accept a check. I'm not sending anything until the item is in my hands because I couldn't take the risk of paying for something that I never got. Suprisingly, I did get the bat, and I sent the check the following day. I just don't see why someone wouldn't pay you because that was the most generous thing someone has done for me in this hobby. Yeah, I could have easily skipped out on the payment, but there's no way I could feel good about myself.

Just curious how you can pull that off, cuz you won't get by anywhere like an auction house, eBay, or anywhere else that I am aware of, except maybe a trusting member of this forum. I have always had to pay before I received my item.

perlman9
02-25-2010, 02:49 PM
I appreciate all the support and know I was just involved in another fiasco with a GU helmet, it all worked out as the original buyer got his money but I am out that as well, and was feeling very distrusting of the hobby and actually contemplated selling everything and moving on to something else, but the response has been very positive which has helped me revitalize my spirit a bit for the hobby. Thanks everyone!

dcgreg25
02-25-2010, 03:06 PM
I just wanted to respond briefly to the thread. The moderators are aware of the posting and we are discussing a position on the proper protocol.

The protocol for questioning auction items should serve as a good reference point for these types of issues. I would strongly urge members to try to resolve the issue directly and provide other members twenty-four hours notice before making a post about non-payment issues, etc. This would provide an opportunity to resolve issues that may be simple misunderstandings. It sounds like this issue has been ongoing but I do not want to set a negative precedent.

There is a certain level of trust afforded by members to other forum members (some more than others) and there should be some accountability among members. As always, I would stick to the facts as attacks, baiting, etc. detract from the purpose and will not be tolerated.

I will post a more formal response once we have had a chance to discuss this further but wanted to at least offer some insight. Thanks!

perlman9
02-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the update Greg. Those were the reasons I wanted to ask the question before posting as I know that sometimes we all have good intentions and things don't work out, but this has been two months with now no email response. But I also try to avoid member attacks but think, from what I have heard from others, the ability to hold members accountable on the forum may help members be accountable on their own.

Neely8
02-25-2010, 05:35 PM
I would contact the local Police Dept. where this dirtbag lives and see if they would pay him a visit to find out what the deal is with the nonpayment. Explain the situation to them and maybe they can scare a little sense into him.

LastingsMilledge85
02-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Just curious how you can pull that off, cuz you won't get by anywhere like an auction house, eBay, or anywhere else that I am aware of, except maybe a trusting member of this forum. I have always had to pay before I received my item.

The seller told me they would give me the bat for a check of $48, and agreed to it. I said though that I'm not sending the check until I have confirmation that something was mailed, like a tracking number or something. Before, he could answer the bat came the following day, and I mailed the check the following day. I guess, I got very lucky, but it really is hard to trust ANYONE, even if you have dealt with them before.

eisenreich8
02-25-2010, 07:20 PM
The seller told me they would give me the bat for a check of $48, and agreed to it. I said though that I'm not sending the check until I have confirmation that something was mailed, like a tracking number or something. Before, he could answer the bat came the following day, and I mailed the check the following day. I guess, I got very lucky, but it really is hard to trust ANYONE, even if you have dealt with them before.

Cool, thanks for the insight. I have, ironically, been burned twice on eBay over 11+ years for amounts like $15, but the $1000 transactions have never been a problem! I guess I am just naive in that it would be nice to have a close-knit community group here on GUU where the showdowns weren't so common.

obpercent1
02-25-2010, 07:34 PM

All I can saw regarding this is some people are just downright tools when dealing with them if you really feel you are going to get screwed over by $50. My word is worth far more than the $$$. Everyone I have dealth with on the board has been excellent with one exception. & Thanks for the jersey Joe

skyking26
02-26-2010, 11:09 PM
I usually send item after full payment; but there are occasions when I know the person well and I send the item ahead of final payment.

That said, sometimes I'm a little stunned when I spend a great deal of money with a guy over years and I'm not given that gesture of the item a little ahead of schedule. Just my opinion.

NEFAN
02-27-2010, 01:24 AM
I am on the other end of this deal. The forum member, with whom I have had many good dealings sold me one of the items for what he got both for, unknown to me. No problem, I don't have a problem with someone trying to make a buck. (not 100% profit though). My issue is I sent the money in good faith as I have many times, and got nothing. To make matters worse, I am in Iraq at the moment so I can't do a whole lot about it.

On my first dealing with this member, he used the GUU Forum as a reference, so I think discussions like this are warranted on the site.

Bottom line, trust goes a long way, but you never know when a deal will go south. Always protect yourself. One question, does Paypal provide buyer protection on non eBay purchases?

perlman9
02-27-2010, 07:30 AM
To give an update, the money was sent yesterday and NEFAN, seller says he was contacting you and sending out item ASAP. Hopefully he followed up and all is good and the ball will be home for you when you return!

NEFAN
02-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Honestly, I told him I want my money back. Too much BS and I don't like paying for both balls and getting one.

bsikma25
02-28-2010, 03:38 PM
I am on the other end of this deal. The forum member, with whom I have had many good dealings sold me one of the items for what he got both for, unknown to me. No problem, I don't have a problem with someone trying to make a buck. (not 100% profit though). My issue is I sent the money in good faith as I have many times, and got nothing. To make matters worse, I am in Iraq at the moment so I can't do a whole lot about it.

On my first dealing with this member, he used the GUU Forum as a reference, so I think discussions like this are warranted on the site.

Bottom line, trust goes a long way, but you never know when a deal will go south. Always protect yourself. One question, does Paypal provide buyer protection on non eBay purchases?

Yes they do.

legaleagle92481
03-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Because I like to take people for their word and it seems as if so many on this board are stand-up people that I made a bad assumption but am still trying not to be jaded by a small minority, but getting harder and harder not to. So, I am taking my part in this by trusting someone so just wanted to share my experience with this board member not that someone should or should not deal with this member, but to at least not make the same mistake and trust them. Hey, if he wants to buy something and pays up front, then I got no problem with a board member selling to this party, but I think there are several people who like to trust the fellow collectors and this is not one to be trusted. Maybe I am naive but I was just trying to help a collector get an item they wanted and let me heart get in the way of my head. My bad but if others can learn from my mistakes, then I think at least something good comes from it.

I did not intend the question as a criticism. I learned the hard way about being too trusting back when I was in college, I worked in a movie theater and we had a locker room where everyone would put their stuff while they worked. They did not trust the employees so they made us all wear these pants with no pockets. everyone had to bring in their own lock and mine had the combo on the back because I could never remember it. I had spent a nice chunk of my paycheck on a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses that I thought were so cool so I wore them everywhere. About a week after I got them I wore them to work put them and my wallet and car keys in my locker and locked it up. A few hours later I went on break and was going to get the stuff out of my locker and go get something to eat. When I get to the locker room I discover my locker is already open, the sunglasses were gone and my wallet is still there but the cash I had in it was gone. The only people with access to the locker room was the small group of employees with whom I worked many hours a week and often socialized after work with and considered to be friends. So from that day forward I have been very cautious.

On this site there is much opportunity to be scammed, identities are not verified as of yet and nothing stops someone from setting up an account under a fake name scamming a bunch of people out of stuff and then just vanishing. Even an ISP address means nothing someone could be using a public computer or wifi somewhere different everytime they go on this site. And having an address is no protection because you do not know what that address is it could be an hourly motel someplace. Don't get me wrong 99.9% of people on this site and elsewhere are honest and upstanding people but it is those other .001% that can ruin your life. And you just never know who falls into which category especially when dealing with strangers who you have never met and only communicate with via the Internet.

perlman9
03-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Didn't take is as criticism, was just jaded for a few days but back to my old self and feeling good again especially since the Packer helmet fiasco actually led to the initial buyer getting a jersey he really wanted and me pointing him in that direction!

NEFAN
03-02-2010, 05:54 AM
Glad it all worked out for you Jason. I'm saving my money in case you ever decide to sell the helmet we talked about.