PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Allen game used cleats - Rookie Year

Dewey2007
02-25-2010, 01:49 AM
Due to a recent large purchase I am forced to try and sell my rookie year Marcus Allen cleats. After researching all the photos available from the '82 season I have come to the conclusion that these cleats could only been worn during the preseason and have been style matched to the Raiders last preseaon game vs Cleveland. Another reason they could have only been worn during the preseason is it appears that Allen wore a different style Puma cleat (no strap) during the regular season and wore white shoe laces. These cleats have his number 32 in faded black ink on the back of both cleats so that also indicates they were worn during the preseason. I cannot remember seeing players wearing cleats during the regular season with their numbers written on the back.

Here is some background on the cleats. They were acquired directly from Allen at the Raiders practice facility in Alameda, CA (where I live) during his rookie year of 1982. They could have only been acquired during the 1982 season because the Raiders moved their practice facility to Los Angeles the following year. Even though they played their first year in LA during the '82 season they still practiced in Alameda due to their training faciltiy not being ready. Me and a couple of buddies used to go to the practice facility all the time to get autographs.

When I got them signed by Allen I asked him a few questions about the cleats. While he didn't come out and directly claim they were his he just said he never gave anything away. After hearing about Allen's penchant for being protective of his game used stuff I also don't think he would have signed them if he didn't believe they were his. He also claimed he never wore black shoe laces but I found photographic evidence that shows he wore black shoe laces all throughout the preseason. I also asked him what size shoe he wears and he said a size 12. The cleats are 11 1/2's and he said that was right because he like to wear his cleats real tight when he played so they wouldn't move around. He also said he remembered wearing the style with the strap on them.

Also, the left cleat has a faded #38 written in green ink that was written over with Allen's #32. I checked and Chester Willis who wore #38 also wore Puma cleats. Due to the fact that his # was written only one cleat I am guessing that the equipment person started to write Willis's number on the cleats before realizing they were Allen's and corrected this by writing over it in black ink.

The cleats show heavy wear with cracking on the leather on the inside of both and one of the cleats on the bottom of the right shoe is missing. There is still dried mud on the bottom of the cleats as well. Both cleats have been autographed by Allen.

The asking price is $500 + exact shipping cost (insurance optional). I have only seen one other pair of Allen cleats that were sold on AMI in 2005. Allen is a HOFer and one of the greatest running backs of all-time. He also won ROY during the strike shortened '82 season.

If you are interested please contact me at: deweystg@berkeley.edu