PDA

View Full Version : Legendary Braves Jay Ritchie 1967 jersey question

VERIS#60
02-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Hello...I am not sure if the above item url was added correctly or not. Sorry, I am a dummy at pics and have never figured it out. Legendary auctions has a 1967 Jay Ritchie Atlanta Braves jersey listed. The jersey is number 26 and has a 1967 tag. I know John Herrnstein wore number 26 in 1966. Was it ever a practice of the Braves in that time era to recycle a jersey from one year to the next and change the year tag? Could this be a John Herrnstein jersey that was recycled? Thanks for any info!
Bruce

sox83cubs84
02-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Joel:

Sorry, but it's highly doubtful. Tag changing is virtually unheard of...I know of only one instance...a 1965 White Sox home flannel of coach Don Gutteridge that was recycled, with a tail tag change when Gutteridge came back as a coach during 1968. More likely is that Herrnstein, if he didn't have his own jerseys made upon joining Atlanta (which is likely), got a jersey worn by the previous #26, or a properly sized jersey made for another player with a number change.
Dave M.
Chicago area

VERIS#60
02-24-2010, 11:59 PM
A very special thanks to Joel for posting the auction link! I would also like to thank Dave and all of his vital help to this website! Without collectors like this, this site would not be what it is. What Dave said all makes sense. I did not think that they changed the year tag very often. Thanks so much!