PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Damon to Detroit

skyking26
02-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Damon says Detroit was the clear favorite all along.

Ahuh. This after his wife went public announcing her desire for her husband to sign in a more "cosmopolitan city" like Chicago or Atlanta.... As economically disrupted as the city of Detroit is; I'm sure it gave everybody a warm and fuzzy feeling to see this 36 year old outfielder scheduled to sign for some $8MM after hearing these remarks, AND watching Detroit throw talent away all winter. What was the meaning of sending Granderson away? To sign Damon?

I know several friends have turned in their season tickets. I'll attend if/when I get my hands on some free tickets. Rest of time I can watch it on tv where if it gets too sickening I can hit the remote and watch something else...

Damon's wife isn't doing him any favors as his "spokewoman..."

allstarsplus
02-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Ahuh. This after his wife went public announcing her desire for her husband to sign in a more "cosmopolitan city" like Chicago or Atlanta....

Damon's wife isn't doing him any favors as his "spokewoman..."

I remember Kurt Warner's wife doing the same type of talking for her husband many years ago. Best to keep your mouth shut, especially in a bad economy.

I am really surprised he got a $8 mill deal. I thought he would have to take something under $5 mill with incentives. Bora$ came through again for his client!

TFig27
02-23-2010, 10:09 AM
I remember Kurt Warner's wife doing the same type of talking for her husband many years ago. Best to keep your mouth shut, especially in a bad economy.

I am really surprised he got a $8 mill deal. I thought he would have to take something under $5 mill with incentives. Bora$ came through again for his client!

I don't think Boras came through. They turned down a two-year offer for $14 million from the Yankees.

Manram
02-23-2010, 10:12 AM

I was surprised also, that he got as much money as he did

allstarsplus
02-23-2010, 10:23 AM
I don't think Boras came through. They turned down a two-year offer for $14 million from the Yankees.

It appeared that $8 million was his number though. The Yankees deal would have been the ole "bird in the hand" with 2 years.

So for 2011 Damon needs to make at least $6 million for his gamble to have paid off.

I just never thought he would get close to $8 million.

legaleagle92481
02-23-2010, 10:39 AM
The deal makes no sense. The Tigers are not going to win the World Series this year or probably even make the playoffs (Minnesota and the Chi Sox are likely to be better teams) so why spend big bucks bringing in Damon for $8 million (he is 36) and Jose Valerade to close (he is 32)? These moves are right our of the Royals playbook sign aging veterans for big money ala Jose Guillen. They should trade Miguel Cabera and rebuild.

larry bourget
02-23-2010, 11:28 AM

EXACTLY!

larry bourget
02-23-2010, 11:30 AM
The deal makes no sense. The Tigers are not going to win the World Series this year or probably even make the playoffs (Minnesota and the Chi Sox are likely to be better teams) so why spend big bucks bringing in Damon for $8 million (he is 36) and Jose Valerade to close (he is 32)? These moves are right our of the Royals playbook sign aging veterans for big money ala Jose Guillen. They should trade Miguel Cabera and rebuild.

EXACTLY! EXACTLY!

can you say Dumb'rowski.

LB

mbrieve
02-23-2010, 01:54 PM
What was the meaning of sending Granderson away? To sign Damon?
I think that getting rid of Granderson and Jackson was all about selling high. Granderson was very disappointing last year (aside from his HR total) and Jackson sputtered out in the second half. The only other explanation is that Ilitch is going senile and changed his mind about spending the dough.

As for what this does to the Tigers Playoff/World Series hopes...I see the Central Division shaping up like this:

1. Twins
2. Tigers
3. White Sox
4. Royals
5. Indians

The wild card will come from the East, so second place gets you nothing.

geoff
02-23-2010, 03:39 PM
I like The Move as Damon can DH a Little Bit.But I am a Big Damon Fan And did not think The Braves would be A good Place for him because there is no DH.

suave1477
02-23-2010, 03:40 PM
[quote=skyking26;189803]

What was the meaning of sending Granderson away? To sign Damon?
quote]

Hey don't feel bad we signed Granderson and got rid of Melky.

Not sure what was the thinking behind that????