PDA

View Full Version : Boggs bat on Taube's site

emann
02-22-2010, 12:52 PM
I want to first say I've bought a number of bats from John Taube and in no way am I saying he doesn't have great stuff and provide top-notch authentication. He is the first one I trust on players I don't know use characteristics for...

That said, I currently own a number of legit Boggs bats and know those characteristics relatively well I think. The usual characteristics that Jim Caravello describes elsewhere have always come into play on most of the legit Boggs gamers I've seen or owned.

I saw the Boggs bat that Taube now has posted on his site, listed on ebay a month or two back and questioned it due to the heavy use on the right hand or top side of the barrel (Taube shows the top barrel, showing multiple transfer marks). Boggs being a left handed hitter and very meticulous/obsessive complusive, always has a heavy contact area that is basically limited to the left side or bottom of the barrel. A few stray marks is expected, but probably not contact areas on all sides without the main concentration being on the left barrel.

I'm not stating it isn't what John says it is (after all, he's seen it in person, not me), but I'd be interested to hear other folks thoughts (especially Jim Caravello).

Here is the bat:
http://www.digitalfm.com/gameusedbats/itemDetail.cfm?sku=4408

BULBUS
02-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Not his typical 2 on the knob:

jetersbatboy
02-22-2010, 02:50 PM
I actually owned that bat and sold it to John. There are good ball marks on left hand hitters side of the barrel. It is a very tight and consitent pattern. As for the back and right, of the barrel. The marks are not as heavy and are far less. As for the number on the knob, it is consitent with the picture posted on HOF bats site. The pine tar is not a ton, but I thought it was ok for the use. That bat looked good to me.

10thMan
02-22-2010, 11:03 PM
I`m a Gwynn & Boggs Collector. In my Opinion, the two are alike with regards to ball marks & their placement. You want ball Marks/Transfers on the RIGHT barrel side, in clusters on Boggs or Gwynn Bats, nothing else but shoe leather or cleat marks beyond that. I know I`ve read about it on "JT`S" Website a few years ago & have had similar discussions with other Authenticators, as well as "player Collectors"

I stay away from anything else such as above/below the top of the Bat, or backside with both Players. This is my 1996 Boggs Bat (from hofbats) Jim Caravello has a Bat from the EXACT same Batch!!!

Sean

allstarsplus
02-22-2010, 11:03 PM
I actually owned that bat and sold it to John. There are good ball marks on left hand hitters side of the barrel. It is a very tight and consitent pattern. As for the back and right, of the barrel. The marks are not as heavy and are far less. As for the number on the knob, it is consitent with the picture posted on HOF bats site. The pine tar is not a ton, but I thought it was ok for the use. That bat looked good to me.

I emailed John Taube too. He still thinks the bat is good. Points well taken on both sides.