PDA

View Full Version : BMH - Can you help with an All-Star bat?

TNTtoys
02-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi Brian,

Recently, forum member TigerDale opened a thread regarding Louisville Slugger All-Star Game bats. In that thread, I posted a photo of my John Olerud 2001 All-Star Game bat:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=33000

Can you share with us some of the history behind these bats? From what you said in the other thread, it seemed like these bats were actually issued to the players for game use (and not as trophys) but many opted to not use them but instead keep them as if they were trophys. Do you know if any of them actually used in the All-Star game?

The discussion that ensued here about these bats has gotten me a little curious.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

BMH
02-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Well, just like the WS bats the AS bats were given to the players to use. Each player would get at least two bats, some more, some less I would assume.

As for who used them? I wouldn't be able to answer that question. I don't even watch the AS game. When I go to Fanfest I work one of our lasers. It's mindless work and I enjoy that sometimes! I'll talk to a lot of people during that time, so on the day of the game I'll give my tickets away to strangers. I do the same for the HR Derby. I have much more fun getting hammered in the hotel bar.

Anyway, back on subject. Our head rep is the one who made the call to stop making them. Like I said, we get more publicity with the Pink bats so we budgeted more for them instead of All Star give aways.

TNTtoys
02-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Brian,

Thank you very much for the response. So... the big question now (course you can't answer this one) is whether or not he actually used it. Like I said to another collector, much of the focus of that game was on the superstars of the time (Ichiro, Ripken, Bonds, Piazza, Sosa, etc.), and the quiet guy tends to get brushed aside. Olerud started the '01 ASG, but you would never know it when you go to the photo archives. The only single photo I have seen of him from that night was of him running onto the field.

On another note... although I would probably enjoy having a few drinks in the hotel bar, I don't think I could take a pass on attending the All-Star Game (maybe because I have never been to one before and have always wanted to go?). It takes a special person to just give those tickets away, let alone to strangers!! Wow.

Nick

suave1477
02-18-2010, 11:05 AM
TNT I met BMH at the 2008 All Star fanfest. Definitely a nice guy but very busy lol.

TNT I am sure you will go to a All Star game when it comes to Citifield.