PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting my Manny bat question

soxfan
02-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Hey everyone,

I posted questions about this Manny Ramirez "Game Used" signed bat in the Manny Bat Question thread, but wanted to have it stand out to see if anyone can shed some light on it.

Came from ASI and Manny's website in 2004, has the MR24 holograms and LOA sined by Manny.

Was sold as a GAME USED SIGNED 2003 Manny bat....but when I submitted it to PSA/DNA, it came back as unauthentic for a game used bat but the signature was deemed authentic.

Found 2 identical bats on American Memorabilia Auctions in 2005 (see pic below with ASI hologram) and the both came with PSA/DNA authenticity letters, but you can clearly see its the same bats. So why now is mine deemed "unauthentic"?

I also found a pic from 2003 that shows Manny using this style bat.

Any info would be great....

Thanks!

Jeremy
macleodjeremy@hotmail.com

spartakid
02-17-2010, 12:48 AM
Is there much use on it? It looks brand new other than a few light ball marks.

soxfan
02-17-2010, 12:52 AM
It has a light to medium coat of pine tar, wear and dirt at the top where it would be tapped at the plate, and rack streaks.

Definetly would not be considered as a "pounded" Manny bat

Jeremy

Manram
02-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Did they say that bat is fake, or that it has no use, and is game issued??

soxfan
02-17-2010, 01:40 AM
They felt it was just game issued or used in BP by Manny and then sold through his website as game used.

But the 2 that were sold through American Memorabilia were stated to be GAME USED through the PSA/DNA letter that came with them.

They said Manny is known to do this when he was with the Red Sox, like ordereing tons of jeresey's and having them tagged differently, use 5 in a game and sell them through his charity as game used...

Just wondering if anyone has run onto anything like this or any Manny items that are suspect but have the MR24 holo's and LOA's.

jeremy

Nnunnari
02-17-2010, 11:30 PM
The wood quality looks terrible/cheap on the bat. It doesn't look like a bat he'd swing in a game.

Nick

soxfan
02-18-2010, 12:25 AM
So what is everyone's suggestion I should do with this questionable Manny "gamer"??

Maybe take it out back and have a few hacks at the ball with it myself??

Jeremy

Manram
02-18-2010, 12:31 AM
So what is everyone's suggestion I should do with this questionable Manny "gamer"??

Maybe take it out back and have a few hacks at the ball with it myself??

Jeremy

Do whatever you want to do with it. We just are not sure it is authentic

soxfan
02-18-2010, 12:35 AM
I have always questioned it, but I bought it when I first started collecting and didn't know much about researching either the authenticity or the idea of phot/style matching.

Its always been a good reminder to me to trust reserach and facts first and dont get caught up in something that may be mass-prodeuced or even, as the old saying goes..."too good to be true"...

Still havent been able to be in touch with anyone else who may have bought one just like it, and I know there are a bunch out there somewhere....

Jeremy

Nnunnari
02-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Keep it and enjoy it or resell it on ebay.