PDA

View Full Version : any ideas on who this is?

OaklandAsFan
02-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Friend of mine came across this bat but no clue who it is. any thoughts? There is a 7 written on the end of the knob if that helps and it has the MLB logo between the centerbrand and the name stamp to help date it.

thanks in advance

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss131/Mdragon75/IMG_1667.jpg

LastingsMilledge85
02-15-2010, 11:27 PM
My guess would be Bobby Crosby, but I bet I'm wrong.

Manram
02-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Do you have a time frame of what years it could be from? I know you said it is signature engraved, but does it have some stamp or something?

WadeInBmore
02-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Friend of mine came across this bat but no clue who it is. any thoughts? There is a 7 written on the end of the knob if that helps and it has the MLB logo between the centerbrand and the name stamp to help date it.

thanks in advance

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss131/Mdragon75/IMG_1667.jpg

Hmmm...here are the players that used that number
Frank Menechino (1999)
Jeremy Giambi
Bobby Crosby
Kurt Abbott (1998)
Scott Brosius (1997)
Mike Kingery (1992)
1991 wasn't issued to anyone
Walt Weiss (1990)
Jerry Willard (1986)
Charlie O'Brien (1985)
Mike Edwards (1980)
Rick Bosetti (1981)
Dan Meyer (1983)
in 1984 it wasn't issued in the bigs.

probably too much info...but with out a narrower set of dates that the bat could be from I bid you good luck and I hope it helps.

wade

scootmagroot
02-15-2010, 11:57 PM
I say its probably a minor leaguer. definitely isn't Crosby.

Manram
02-16-2010, 12:13 AM
I say its probably a minor leaguer. definitely isn't Crosby.

After reading through the players, i agree

TNTtoys
02-16-2010, 12:57 AM
Hmmm...here are the players that used that number
Frank Menechino (1999)
Jeremy Giambi
Bobby Crosby
Kurt Abbott (1998)
Scott Brosius (1997)
Mike Kingery (1992)
1991 wasn't issued to anyone
Walt Weiss (1990)
Jerry Willard (1986)
Charlie O'Brien (1985)
Mike Edwards (1980)
Rick Bosetti (1981)
Dan Meyer (1983)
in 1984 it wasn't issued in the bigs.

probably too much info...but with out a narrower set of dates that the bat could be from I bid you good luck and I hope it helps.

wade

In an attempt to narrow down Wade's list, team names (as seen in the photo) were added to the barrel of Louisville Slugger bats in 1991.

This leaves only the following as possibilities:

Frank Menechino (1999)
Jeremy Giambi
Bobby Crosby
Kurt Abbott (1998)
Scott Brosius (1997)
Mike Kingery (1992)

Unless we're talking about a minor leaguer, as previously hypothesized in the thread.

legaleagle92481
02-16-2010, 01:17 AM
In an attempt to narrow down Wade's list, team names (as seen in the photo) were added to the barrel of Louisville Slugger bats in 1991.

This leaves only the following as possibilities:

Frank Menechino (1999)
Jeremy Giambi
Bobby Crosby
Kurt Abbott (1998)
Scott Brosius (1997)
Mike Kingery (1992)

Unless we're talking about a minor leaguer, as previously hypothesized in the thread.

I am going to guess it is Frank Menechino to me the first letter looks like an F and the last an O.

AthleticsFan
02-16-2010, 02:29 AM
I am going to guess it is Frank Menechino to me the first letter looks like an F and the last an O.

It definitely is not Frank Menechino, Bobby Crosby, Scott Brosius or Jeremy Giambi.

jetersbatboy
02-16-2010, 03:39 AM
From the labeling described it sounds like a 1999-2001 era bat. So only Jermey Giambi and Frank Menechino wore the number 7 during the time period. It was Frank in 99 and Jeremy in 2000-01. Due to that fact and the look of the signature, I would say Frank.

AthleticsFan
02-16-2010, 04:16 AM
Jeremy Giambi wore #7 during his time with the A's from 2000 to May 2002. While Frank Menechino might have worn #7 during Spring Training in 2000, he always wore #11 during the regular season.

Getting back to the bat, I still can't figure out whose signature that is but it is possible that one of the #7's on the list borrowed the bat from the mystery player. :confused:

OaklandAsFan
02-16-2010, 09:20 AM
I can tell everyone without a doubt that it is not Menechino. I have dozens of his autograph. I am starting to think that maybe it was borrowed and used by mini G. I was hoping maybe someone here recognized the signature.

joelsabi
02-16-2010, 10:00 AM
I can tell everyone without a doubt that it is not Menechino. I have dozens of his autograph. I am starting to think that maybe it was borrowed and used by mini G. I was hoping maybe someone here recognized the signature.

The person had to have a contract with LVS since the name is not in block letters. The center brand should be 1999-2001.

i go to http://www.baseball-reference.com/
I look up on the team tab and look for Oakland links for 1999 and 2001.
I copy the players who had at least 1 ab on a spreadsheet for those three years
I remove all duplicate names. (create a column, scan put an X on duplicate names, sort and delete 1 minute max)

So here are the suspects:

A.J. Hinch
Adam Piatt
Andy Abad*
Ariel Prieto
Barry Zito*
Ben Grieve*
Billy McMillon*
Bo Porter
Cory Lidle
Eric Byrnes
Eric Chavez*
F.P. Santangelo#
Frank Menechino
Gil Heredia
Greg Myers*
Jason Giambi*
Jason McDonald#
Jeremy Giambi*
Jermaine Dye
Jimmy Haynes
John Jaha
Johnny Damon*
Jorge Velandia
Jose Ortiz
Kenny Rogers*
Kevin Appier
Marcus Jones
Mario Valdez*
Mark Bellhorn#
Mark Mulder*
Matt Stairs*
Miguel Tejada
Mike Macfarlane
Mike Magnante*
Mike Stanley
Olmedo Saenz
Omar Olivares
Ramon Hernandez
Randy Velarde
Rich Becker*
Rob Ryan*
Robin Jennings*
Ron Gant
Ryan Christenson
Sal Fasano
Scott Spiezio#
Terrence Long*
Tim Hudson
Tim Raines#
Tom Wilson
Tony Phillips#

joelsabi
02-16-2010, 10:09 AM
My next step would be to scan the list and see if any of the names looks like the name on the bat and then go to ebay and compare autograph for those players. If it's not a match I put a NO on a new VERIFIED column on the spreadsheet and go to the next suspect. If there are no sigs on ebay to compare then I google the name and use the photo link looking for signed baseballs and photos.

Good luck on the mystery. This is my process for looking up names on Team signed baseballs.

The person had to have a contract with LVS since the name is not in block letters. The center brand should be 1999-2001.

i go to http://www.baseball-reference.com/
I look up on the team tab and look for Oakland links for 1999 and 2001.
I copy the players who had at least 1 ab on a spreadsheet for those three years
I remove all duplicate names. (create a column, scan put an X on duplicate names, sort and delete 1 minute max)

So here are the suspects:

A.J. Hinch
Adam Piatt
Andy Abad*
Ariel Prieto
Barry Zito*
Ben Grieve*
Billy McMillon*
Bo Porter
Cory Lidle
Eric Byrnes
Eric Chavez*
F.P. Santangelo#
Frank Menechino
Gil Heredia
Greg Myers*
Jason Giambi*
Jason McDonald#
Jeremy Giambi*
Jermaine Dye
Jimmy Haynes
John Jaha
Johnny Damon*
Jorge Velandia
Jose Ortiz
Kenny Rogers*
Kevin Appier
Marcus Jones
Mario Valdez*
Mark Bellhorn#
Mark Mulder*
Matt Stairs*
Miguel Tejada
Mike Macfarlane
Mike Magnante*
Mike Stanley
Olmedo Saenz
Omar Olivares
Ramon Hernandez
Randy Velarde
Rich Becker*
Rob Ryan*
Robin Jennings*
Ron Gant
Ryan Christenson
Sal Fasano
Scott Spiezio#
Terrence Long*
Tim Hudson
Tim Raines#
Tom Wilson
Tony Phillips#

OaklandAsFan
02-16-2010, 10:10 AM
I certainly appreciate all that work and effort Joel. None of those names seem to coincide with even a hint of that signature though. Must be someone under contract with LVS that never made the show. hmmmmm

perlman9
02-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Could it possibly be Ramon Castro? He was with the As for a bit...

joelsabi
02-16-2010, 10:20 AM
I certainly appreciate all that work and effort Joel. None of those names seem to coincide with even a hint of that signature though. Must be someone under contract with LVS that never made the show. hmmmmm

I doubt it since even ARod did not have a LVS contract until after he was out of the minors.

joelsabi
02-16-2010, 10:43 AM

If its not someone on the list, instead of someone who never made the show, maybe a veteran who signed a minor contract and did not return to the majors is a possiblilty.

If you want to go in that direction then look up the AAA affiliate of the A's from 1999-2001 and see if there are any ML vets on the team.

suave1477
02-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Just to add to all of this.

If you pay close attention the First initial of the First name is either a N or an R.

The last letter of the last name is either a C or possibly a D.

I would first research either whose names match that spelling during the time period of the labeling period of the bat or see who wore #7 during that time period and then research what teamates that player had during the time period.

Chances are your going to have to go over full rosters and even spring training rosters. Last minute call ups and so on.

legaleagle92481
02-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Alot of times the printed signatures on bats do not look like the player's actual autograph, which is another factor to consider.

joelsabi
02-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Just to add to all of this.

If you pay close attention the First initial of the First name is either a N or an R.

The last letter of the last name is either a C or possibly a D.

I would first research either whose names match that spelling during the time period of the labeling period of the bat or see who wore #7 during that time period and then research what teamates that player had during the time period.

Chances are your going to have to go over full rosters and even spring training rosters. Last minute call ups and so on.

Great observation. Looked at AAA Oakland affiliate for 1999 fro same website I got the team roster. There's a tab for minor league teams.
Search likely suspect on ebay. Bingo on first attempt. Marc Newfield.

OaklandAsFan
02-16-2010, 01:09 PM
wow Joel your the man!! I never would have figured that out

thank you

WadeInBmore
02-16-2010, 01:37 PM
awesome.

xpress34
02-16-2010, 01:41 PM
My next step would be to scan the list and see if any of the names looks like the name on the bat and then go to ebay and compare autograph for those players. If it's not a match I put a NO on a new VERIFIED column on the spreadsheet and go to the next suspect. If there are no sigs on ebay to compare then I google the name and use the photo link looking for signed baseballs and photos.

Good luck on the mystery. This is my process for looking up names on Team signed baseballs.

Joel -

I had to laugh because that is my method on team or multi-signed balls as well!

- Chris

Manram
02-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Finally we figured it out

joelsabi
02-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Joel -

I had to laugh because that is my method on team or multi-signed balls as well!

- Chris

Chris,

Like minds use the same tools. ;) For some reason a spreadsheet calms me when doing any repetitive task and as you know deciphering a team baseball can be very time consuming. The spreadsheet reminds me of what I have tried and what possibilities are left. And then there are the players who sign the baseballs twice and confuse the heck out of me.

Getting back to the bat, Nick (TNTtoys) narrowed the bat to a certain labeling period, assisted immensely as the label period for this particular bat was short. I thought WadeInBmore cracked it wide open with the uniform number info but looking at ebay sig samples for the two suspects looked wrong.

Jason's (suave1477) suggested letter location on the sig made it easy to narrow down possible suspects on the spreadsheet. It made me want to attempt a quick catch. When nothing seemed to fit after a quick scan, I went with the possibility of a veteran (non-block letter SLV bat) back in the minors. I got lucky and recognized Newfield’s name as a hot prospect from the Mariner’s organization in the early 90’s (ARod Teammate) when I looked at the 1999 AAA Oakland team roster. His rookie card happens to be in the same set as Jim Thome. Sadly, Newfield never played for the A’s in 1999 and his contract was sold to the Red Sox, where he further declined to AA level in the same year. I remember bunions being his chronic problem when he was a prospect and card dealers regularly dumped his rookie cards. BTW, Newfield bats rightie if you want to further investigate.

OaklandAsFan, glad we were able to help.

WadeINBMore, What’s your source to look up uniform numbers? Could you post a link?

WadeInBmore
02-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Joel...

I use the baseball almanac.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/index.shtml

Between the almanac and Baseball Reference you can pretty much figure just about anything out...technically speaking.

On the almanac you can look up by the player OR by the Team and pick the specific year that you are looking for. The site is easy to use and pretty straight forward I think. Hope I am introducing you to a new tool :D

This was a fun thread to participate in AND we figured it out!!! Good fun.

wade

joelsabi
02-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Joel...

I use the baseball almanac.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/index.shtml

Between the almanac and Baseball Reference you can pretty much figure just about anything out...technically speaking.

On the almanac you can look up by the player OR by the Team and pick the specific year that you are looking for. The site is easy to use and pretty straight forward I think. Hope I am introducing you to a new tool :D

This was a fun thread to participate in AND we figured it out!!! Good fun.

wade

Wade,

Thanks for the link. This is a new tool for my research arsenal. I just glanced and there's also a baseball card database. Need to check it out.

I agree. It was good fun.

legaleagle92481
02-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Great observation. Looked at AAA Oakland affiliate for 1999 fro same website I got the team roster. There's a tab for minor league teams.
Search likely suspect on ebay. Bingo on first attempt. Marc Newfield.

Nice detective work.