PDA

View Full Version : My game used Barry Bonds new addition

bsikma25
02-15-2010, 02:33 PM
What do you guys think about my newest Barry Bonds pickup? Thanks for any feedback in advance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220549457470&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300392489776&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

allstarsplus
02-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Amazing the price on the wristbands as those used to see for $250 and up.

This message on the wristband now has so much irony to it:

dcgreg25
02-15-2010, 02:52 PM
bsikma25, welcome to the board. I am far from a Bonds expert but the style of glove appears to match a pair I previously owned. I am sure a Bonds collector can address this in more detail. The only difference I noticed was the pair I owned had a Bonds hologram on them and I believe that Bonds does not let many (if any) items slip through the cracks.

Just a heads-up that there is a monthly pick-up thread for showing off your purchases in the Game Used Memorabilia Discussion. I realize you had a question as to the authenticity of the gloves so you posted it here but wanted to make you aware if you had not already seen it.

joelsabi
02-15-2010, 09:24 PM
I did some research and came up with this for the wristbands. I am pretty sure there are other members here that have these MIMS wristband in their collection and would be helpful.

James Mims was the creator of the wristbands in 1988. He was a baseball player at USC and became friends with Barry Bonds though a mutual friend Dusty Baker. I guess they had lots in common since Arizona State and USC are in the same league. Bonds gave Mims $5000 to start up his company and Bonds became his first customer.

So Barry Bonds was the first one to use the wristband in 1988, and Gary Sheffield and Alex Rodriguez were the last ones to use them in 2003.

slambam
02-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Actually I think it was 1986. I goggled and up popped a page from "Love me, hate me: Barry Bonds and the making of an antihero". It says Mims started the wristband company in 1988, but it was two years prior to that when Dusty Baker introduced the two and they had that conversation and Bonds wrote him the check. There is a Tony Gwynn one listed on Historic Auctions right now, dated 1986.

http://www.historicauctions.com/search/list/auctionid/57699/

joelsabi
02-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Actually I think it was 1986. I goggled and up popped a page from "Love me, hate me: Barry Bonds and the making of an antihero". It says Mims started the wristband company in 1988, but it was two years prior to that when Dusty Baker introduced the two and they had that conversation and Bonds wrote him the check. There is a Tony Gwynn one listed on Historic Auctions right now, dated 1986.

http://www.historicauctions.com/search/list/auctionid/57699/

good catch. wish more people googled. you can start making wristband before you form the company. thanks on the physical verification on a 1986 wristband too. I have a 2003 ARod in my own collection. Anyone know one later than 2003?

joelsabi
02-15-2010, 10:29 PM
1986 Tony Gwynn and 2003 Alex Rodriguez MIMS wristband examples. Hope this isn't going offtopic as this shows more the history of where the Bonds 1987 wristbands came from.

slambam
02-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Very cool ARod. These wristbands look like nice discussion pieces. That book shows "M&N Bandit" as Mims company name, and I don't see anything showing that the company still exists. Does your ARod have the MIMS name on it?

joelsabi
02-16-2010, 12:54 AM
Very cool ARod. These wristbands look like nice discussion pieces. That book shows "M&N Bandit" as Mims company name, and I don't see anything showing that the company still exists. Does your ARod have the MIMS name on it?

No. My 1997 Arod says MIMS and "SAY NO TO DRUGS." I need to locate them as I thought they were in the same box as the 2003 one. I read in another thread that ARod and Sheffied were the last to use them in 2003. The 2003 one does not says "SAY NO TO DRUGS." Maybe Mims knew something. :rolleyes: