PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on buying through Craigslist?

soxfan
02-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Hey all,

Any thoughts or stories about possibly buying and or selling GU memorabilia on Craigslist?

I have some things I would like to move so I can make a bigger budget to pick up something, kind of a "trade-up" sale....

Let me know your thoughts!

Jeremy
macleodjeremy@hotmail.com

Always looking for Red Sox GU gear

eisenreich8
02-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Hey Jeremy, Fellow Sox Fan!

Just be prepared for letdowns, ie people not following through to contact you when they say they will, meeting you when and where they say they will, etc.

I would not have them come to the house, just in case, if you are selling high-end items as they may be casing your house for burglary later. This does happen.

Meet whomever in a public place, and deal in cash. No credit, no checks, no problem.

There are few better places to sell stuff. You get wide exposure, it's FREE, and people looking specifically for what you have will contact you. Just treat them as you should: as strangers. I also would not post my phone number.....do your communicating through a public email account like Yahoo, etc.

Good luck!

xpress34
02-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Jeremy -

Also, be ready for TONS of Scammers. Easy to spot, just a PITA (Pain in the A..).

People will write asking your best price/condition/highest offer you have rcvd and offer to pay via courier or money order they happen to have that is OVER your asking price - but they will galdly pay you more (because the MO is fake).

Eisenreich makes some great points about security too. I have had a few people come to my house to buy (if items are too big/bulky to transport to meet somewhere), but I have always just made the deal in my Garage - no 'in-house' transactions.

You will also get a lot of 'low-ball' offers as well... just be ready to expect anything and everything in responses.

All the best -

Chris

5kRunner
02-15-2010, 01:01 PM
I've bought two bats off craigslist where I've sent a MO and asked them to ship. Nothing high dollar and both times I was willing to take the chance I'd get nothing in return. I was pleasantly surprised each time. No problems and shipping was faster than I usually receive on ebay.

soxfan
02-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the info all!!

Jeremy

Always looking for GU Red Sox gear

dcgreg25
02-15-2010, 02:54 PM
soxfan, I have only purchased one item through Craigslist and it went very well. It was a Kenny Lofton jersey and the seller was good to deal with. I would caution you to be very careful as Craigslist is a breeding ground for scammers but if you are careful there are items to be had.

frikativ54
02-15-2010, 03:12 PM
I've dabbled in Craigslist, but watch out for sketchy sellers. This is the case for me, especially since I'm female. I've had people on Craigslist interested in more than just sports memorabilia, and I had to cease communication with one creep in particular. The guy was twice my age, yet he thought that I wanted more than the stadium giveaway I was trying to purchase. It was just bizarre.

soxfan
02-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Yikes!!!

I am just trying to find the right market for some of my Canucks Game Used stuff, and was hoping Craigslist was the best spot to hit...but found out just today that you cant post an ad in more than one city at a time?!

Just trying to find the best place to advertise my stuff.

Again, thanks everyone!

Jeremy

Always looking for Red Sox Game Used

jobathenut
02-15-2010, 11:22 PM
I have been trying to sell my collections on craigslist for about 2 years now.I was selling on greed bay but had to stop cause they went to paypal only and i am not able to do that.And you are right about this.Be prepared for people backing out even at the last mintute.As i had someone actually come drive by house several times and then call to say they could'nt find the house and were backing out on the deal.Even though i was outside in my driveway with the boxes at my feet looking at them each of the 7 times they drove by me.And if you don't like people dragging thier feet on deals this isn't for you as they do it all the time on there.Also they might say they are interested and you email them back and you could go weeks without hearing from them if ever.I have some big collections that i do not want to ship,so i do pick up in person.And i have them come to my house.But i make sure i tell potential people interested that the items are not at my house.That they are in storage and i will pick them up if they want them.And another thing is watch out for scams.Its always the same form letter response.They ask if you still have the item.And then you respond.And they say they want they item.But need your information to set up thier shipper to come over and pick up the item.And pay you but the check is no good.And you are left with it and have to cover the check when you cash it.That happen to my brother now he does not sell on there.It's just alot more work to sell your items on there for sure.
Hey Jeremy, Fellow Sox Fan!

Just be prepared for letdowns, ie people not following through to contact you when they say they will, meeting you when and where they say they will, etc.

I would not have them come to the house, just in case, if you are selling high-end items as they may be casing your house for burglary later. This does happen.

Meet whomever in a public place, and deal in cash. No credit, no checks, no problem.

There are few better places to sell stuff. You get wide exposure, it's FREE, and people looking specifically for what you have will contact you. Just treat them as you should: as strangers. I also would not post my phone number.....do your communicating through a public email account like Yahoo, etc.

Good luck!

Nnunnari
02-18-2010, 01:01 AM
I've bought a couple really nice bats on craigslist, I was also ripped off by one guy. I would only agree to meet in person if it's for a decent amount of money, don't mail it.

MLB_Authentic
02-18-2010, 04:31 PM
I bought my 2009 Mauer on Craigslist. He was roughly 2 hours away from me. We both met about have way and I paid cash. Smooth as can be.