PDA

View Full Version : I received my jersey in the mail...and it was a disappointment...

hockeytigers
02-13-2010, 08:43 AM
I recently purchased a Shane Lechler AFL Throwback jersey from NFL Auctions and it came in the mail yesterday. I really wanted (and probably paid too much for it) a Lechler jersey from 2009 because he had an unbelievable year and averaged over 50 yards a punt!

I was very excited to open it and I felt like a kid at Christmas as I was tearing into the box. It was the 50th jersey that I have in my punter/kicker collection and I wanted #50 to be something special. When I pulled the jersey out, it just didn't have that wow factor. It just didn't do it for me...

I have purchased some in the past that when I opened the box, I am blown away with how cool it was but this one didn't do that.

Have you ever had this experience?

Jags Fan Dan
02-13-2010, 09:51 AM
It's funny, but I usually know within about 10 minutes of owning a piece whether it will be a treasured part of my collection or something I might move later. So I guess I know the feeling. I think a lot of times it has to do with how much money you spent. If you pay a ton of money and what shows up is just ok, it can be a downer.

BrewCrewSackers
02-14-2010, 01:33 AM
Well yeah, It's a raider jersey.

David
02-14-2010, 02:13 AM
As a memorabilia collector, you don't know till you get. Some things are twice as nice as you expected, and somethings not as nice.

dcgreg25
02-15-2010, 10:19 AM
I have certainly had that happen as well. For me the disappointment is usually lack of wear or the jersey just isn't as "impressive" in person. Sometimes with throwback jerseys like the AFL, the jerseys are pretty simple and not as impressive when you have them in your hands. Its unfortunate as I have never been disappointed by a NFL Auctions jersey when I received it but sometimes it happens no matter where it is from.

33bird
02-15-2010, 03:03 PM
I agree with Jags. You pretty much know, when you pull it from the box, if it's a keeper or not. We've all been there.

legaleagle92481
02-16-2010, 01:15 AM
It is like Christmas morning once the presents are opened alot of times the thrill is in obtaining the item (especially if it is from an auction and you beat others out for it) and by the time it arrives and you have it actually in your hands it has worn off. It happens to me all the time.

Vikingshelmetguy
02-16-2010, 01:02 PM
I have had this happen as well. I have two game used helmets where I was excited about them when I bought them, and then once they arrived, they did not excite me quite as much as I thought they would. Conversely, however, I have purchased other game used helmets and they ended up being even better and cooler than the photos suggested. This is the best, when something surpasses your expectations. Sometimes the photos of the item being sold makes a difference. Good photos can make an item look better than they actually are, while a not so good photo sometimes does not reveal the correct color or the extent of the game wear, and things are better (or perhaps worse) when you get to see them up close in person.