PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my Manny, please!

earlywynnfan
06-25-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm interested in your thoughts on this Manny Rawlings bat. It was purchased from a fellow collector who has sold me many nice bats. The barrel looks like any 90's Rawlings, with his name and Indians below. The middle label looks almost like your basic early 90's, although it has "made in USA" in the middle! Finally, the knob: it's a model 491B, and in case you can't read the small numbers, it's batch 253 and the year code is "9"! As in, 1989! I almost thought this was some sort of transition/minor league bat, but can't explain the barrel markings.

It has all the hallmarks of a real gamer, none of which I have seen in any store model: the knob markings, the pro model wood (it's unfinished, can you buy them that way?), the scored handle and ball and rack marks. It even has the typical rawlings blue pen on the knob w/ "ramirez 30 1/2"!

I'm not any expert on manny and his handwriting, but I did own a cooper rookie bat of his, and the way the "24" on the knob was written the same way, and I think this is a real auto. on the butt end is written "24 491B" just like manny likes to do.

Thoughts??

Thanks, Ken

gamer35
06-25-2006, 09:04 PM
I dont know about this particular bat, but Ron from California Sports Investments seems to have the same model bat (albeit 1994) on his website for sale.
http://www.californiasportsinv.com/details.php?prod_id=712

GrndSlm
06-26-2006, 12:56 AM
Ken, I have the same model Manny Ramirez bat but its in all black finish. In my opinion its a 1999 model. I dont think that the 1989 Rawlings had the team name on the barrell.

Thanks,
Juan Iglesias

jon_8_us
06-26-2006, 04:45 PM
I have five Manny bats,2 from the Indians which are Coopers.3 of these bats are autographed(2 i obtained myself)The Manny auto on your bat is a good one but it looks to me it was signed more recently than his rookie season.His signature has changed much since then and this one appears to be a more recent example.Auto looks good though.As for the bat it has the Ramirez trademarks and the 24 on the knob appears to be the same writing as the 2 Indian bats i have.Hope this helps.If you want any pics just let me know.
jon