PDA

View Full Version : Transferring old VHS to DVD...for photomatch/stylematches

bigtruck260
02-12-2010, 03:22 PM
I have some older games that I want to put on DVD before the VHS copies are forever destroyed... I am starting to go back into the early 90's with my collection, and would like to try to pinpoit some usage on my bats.

Does anyone have this technology - and what is the cost after everything is considered?

Much appreciated.

platinum1
02-12-2010, 04:18 PM
I have some older games that I want to put on DVD before the VHS copies are forever destroyed... I am starting to go back into the early 90's with my collection, and would like to try to pinpoit some usage on my bats.

Does anyone have this technology - and what is the cost after everything is considered?

Much appreciated.
Hey BigTruck
Wolf Camera provides that service for you.
I'm not sure if you have one around your area but you can google them.
I'm not sure how much it cost.

EurekaDave
02-12-2010, 04:26 PM
I have such technology and would consider doing it on a barter arrangement. Perhaps you have some game-used equipment you would consider trading for the service. I have the disks and equipment because I manage a TV station. The turn-around time would be really qquick. I do it all the time.

EurekaDave
02-12-2010, 04:28 PM
I forgot to mention: das1721@suddenlink.net if you wish to contact me directly.

otismalibu
02-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Dave,

I'm not sure what a DVD recorder costs these days, but you can simply hook your VCR to a DVD recorder and make a straight copy. Now if you want to get into editing out commercials, making chapters, etc. there's more involved.

I bought one a few years back to transfer home movies. I'm guessing you could get one now in the $100-150 range. Some have the VCR and DVD recorder built into the same unit.

The sooner the better. I had a bunch of game tapes that became unwatchable.

ATigerFan
02-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I have one of these that works good and it's quite resonable http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815306013&cm_re=vhs_to_dvd-_-15-306-013-_-Product

Mine is a older model I think. You can hook a vcr right to it then copy vhs to dvd. It worked good for old wrestling videos.
Ion makes a vhs to pc deal too. It's a vcr that hooks to your computer
http://www.amazon.com/ION-Audio-Video-Computer-Converter/product-reviews/B0017PJ5FI/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 The reviews are are all over the place about it though.

bigtruck260
02-12-2010, 05:49 PM
That's what I'm talkin' about!

WOW - a few good options there.

Eureka Dave - if I find that I can't get it done reasonable quick and cheap, I'll contact you...don't have much to trade, but would gladly pay for the service.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

Otis - tell me about it...'tracking' issues do not bode well on DVD.

rj_lucas
02-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Dave, here's the recorder I use and it works great. $130 bucks for a used one on Amazon. Just run your cables from the VHS player to the DVD recorder, start the VHS tape, and hit one button to record.

http://www.amazon.com/SONY-VRD-VC10-DVDirect-External-Recorder/dp/B0006GT6AS

I suggest using -R (instead of +R) DVDs for better compatiblity with different DVD players.

BTW, if you have any Cards games on tape from late August or September 2001, please shoot me an email as I would pay for copies on DVD. Love your new slogan by the way :)

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

bigtruck260
02-13-2010, 04:46 AM
Jaysworld - thanks for the PM...I will certainly let you know. Much appreciated, and very generous of you.

Thanks RJ - I am looking into it now. I think I am going to go the VCR to computer route.

Sangy 35
02-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Dave,

I'm not sure what a DVD recorder costs these days, but you can simply hook your VCR to a DVD recorder and make a straight copy. Now if you want to get into editing out commercials, making chapters, etc. there's more involved.

I bought one a few years back to transfer home movies. I'm guessing you could get one now in the $100-150 range. Some have the VCR and DVD recorder built into the same unit.

The sooner the better. I had a bunch of game tapes that became unwatchable.

The DVD/VCR combo units are the way to go. I picked up a JVC recorder that does this last summer at Sam's for around $125.00. There are more expensive units, but for simply transferring tape to dvd, and recording live, these work well, no extra wires to connect, just hook it up, put in the tape and a blank dvd, and the remote usually has a button for one touch dubbing.

One drawback I have noticed is, if you are say, wanting to record a PPV boxing match, some units will not record due to copyrights, there are work around's, you can purchase a device that gets around it, or just record off HBO or whatever a week later. So far, MLB Extra Innings, and NFL Sunday Ticket along with UFC haven't been affected by it, you can record right off of those live.