PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys...

TNTtoys
02-12-2010, 02:00 PM
All,

As a new moderator to this forum, I want to take a few moments and voice what's on my mind. I volunteered because I have been a steady contributor on this site for the past 4 years, where in that time, I believed in its mission and in turn invested a great deal of my personal time into it... and it was all about give and take. I learned a phenomenal amount of information from the experts here and was able to share my level of knowledge of Mets equipment with anyone who needed a hand. Apart from the obvious purposes of this forum, it was through GUU that I forged friendships that I know I will have for my lifetime.

It would be ridiculous to ignore the fact that there has been a lot of bickering and personal attacking going on here. Otherwise productive threads have gone by the wayside because the fighting just seems to hijack things. Some of it is intentional as we are all aware of.

I want you to know that I (as someone who has invested a great deal of time in this forum) along with the other new moderators aim to clean this up and make it what it once was. I still see the good in this place and hope to make a positive impact here.

Nick

xpress34
02-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Nick -

Thanks for the great personal 'hands on' approach. I've been here for about 2 years now I guess and I have learned a ton as well as providing what info I have on Rockies gear and Rawlings.

Like other forums I belong to, it astounds me the accusations and inflammatory comments that get thrown around here fairly regularly with no immediate consequence.

I look forward to the 'New and Improved' GUU with you and the other 4 new Mods and will lend a hand anyway I can if anyone of you just asks.

All the best -

Christopher R Smith
Xpress34

tigerdale
02-12-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm behind ya 100%

posada20
02-12-2010, 02:43 PM
All,

As a new moderator to this forum, I want to take a few moments and voice what's on my mind. I volunteered because I have been a steady contributor on this site for the past 4 years, where in that time, I believed in its mission and in turn invested a great deal of my personal time into it... and it was all about give and take. I learned a phenomenal amount of information from the experts here and was able to share my level of knowledge of Mets equipment with anyone who needed a hand. Apart from the obvious purposes of this forum, it was through GUU that I forged friendships that I know I will have for my lifetime.

It would be ridiculous to ignore the fact that there has been a lot of bickering and personal attacking going on here. Otherwise productive threads have gone by the wayside because the fighting just seems to hijack things. Some of it is intentional as we are all aware of.

I want you to know that I (as someone who has invested a great deal of time in this forum) along with the other new moderators aim to clean this up and make it what it once was. I still see the good in this place and hope to make a positive impact here.

Nick

(Never seen so much drama on a forum. I am still wondering why would one attack another on game used items?)

If you can nip things in the bud before it get out of hand, then it would be great.

Congrats on your new post.

spartakid
02-12-2010, 02:56 PM
I hope you new mods can help take this forum back to its original purpose. Congrats Nick, and we all appreciate you and the other mods for taking on this responsibility. Thanks, Ricardo

TNTtoys
02-12-2010, 02:58 PM
(Never seen so much drama on a forum. I am still wondering why would one attack another on game used items?)

Me too! And hopefully the worst of it is behind us...

ATigerFan
02-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Believe it or not I have seen much much worse on local stock car racing forums.
On one of the forums there was threats of lawsuits,flaming and insults all over. It got cleaned up in no time.

One thing have I learned from the racing forums the mods should not play favorites just because they're are buddies with someone. It reflects bad on the forum when a problem arises.

I think all will go good on this forum too.:)

Good luck to you and all the mods.

geoff
02-12-2010, 03:10 PM
I have Learned so much since I Joined this Forum in Late 2005.I have met a few People that have Helped me out on here And I have made Plenty of Deals with some very nice People.I also want this Forum to get back to what The Reason I come on The Forum is.

Thanks
Geoff

sox83cubs84
02-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Go get 'em, Nick! I support you.

Dave M.
Chicago area

dcgreg25
02-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Nick, great post..I share many of the same reasons for volunteering to be a moderator. I have bought, sold, and learned a great deal from this forum and am happy to give back and help the forum eliminate the bickering and regain its focus. I am travelling through Sunday so my immediate availability is limited for the next couple days but I look forward to working with you.

5kRunner
02-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I see the cleanup has already begun.

A big THANK YOU to Nick and the others that volunteered.

skipcarayislegend
02-12-2010, 03:37 PM
This is all great news. It seems the moderating is now in good hands. Hopefully we'll see some old faces return.

BarryMeisel
02-12-2010, 04:27 PM
To Nick and the other moderators,

Thanks for the time and effort you have put in and thanks in advance for the time and effort you all will be putting in to make this Forum work for those of us who recognize how good this Forum can be.

As someone obviously invested (literally and figuratively) in the betterment of the game-worn jersey hobby, MeiGray vows to do whatever it can to contribute to the betterment of this Forum, and the hobby.

Please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Barry Meisel, President/Chief Operating Officer, MeiGray

metsbats
02-12-2010, 05:09 PM
To Nick and the other moderators,

Thanks for the time and effort you have put in and thanks in advance for the time and effort you all will be putting in to make this Forum work for those of us who recognize how good this Forum can be.

As someone obviously invested (literally and figuratively) in the betterment of the game-worn jersey hobby, MeiGray vows to do whatever it can to contribute to the betterment of this Forum, and the hobby.

Please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Barry Meisel, President/Chief Operating Officer, MeiGray

Barry,

Thank you for continued pledge of support.

beavisrules
02-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Greg, glad to see you as a moderator! Congrats!

-Mike

harpt
02-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the committment!! This will continue to be a great place with your (all new mods) help as well as the recommittment to this place by the rest of us.

Count me in as one of the recommitted.

MRMusial
02-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Thank you to Nick and the other mods for volunteering their time.

b.heagy
02-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Great, I was already out numbered by Mets fans now they are becoming Moderators. Good Grief. Just kidding, Congrats to the elected Five. Good luck and may peace be restored back to the forum.

russyurk
02-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Lower the hammer Nick!

AthleticsFan
02-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Nick - Thank you for volunteering your services to this forum. Hopefully, it will become more enjoyable again!

both-teams-played-hard
02-12-2010, 07:44 PM

This is true. It is also the reason a chat/off-topic forum is a BAD IDEA. Bad blood will spill over into other topics and make for ugly posts.
There are countless forums about countless subjects. Let's keep this forum sacred. I think random sports discussion is off-topic and can be discussed on many other sites. I am guilty of innocent sports talk in the past. It's very simple: if you have anything bad to say about my favorite team, then I hate your guts. There aren't many forums about game used and game worn sports memorabilia.

bigtime59
02-12-2010, 07:57 PM
I would suggest that anyone who wants to see a tightly run and moderated site check out Orioles Hangout. The founder (Tony Pente) and the moderators do a fine job of keeping things in check and making sure that everyone plays nice (for the most part).

tom1315
02-13-2010, 12:14 PM
DCGreg and Nick - I echo the other's thoughts offered here. Thank you for stepping up and agreeing to keep us within the boundaries that this great forum was created for and has allowed so many of us to make new friends, grow our personal collections (I started collecting game used college football helmets and through exposure to this forum I have added -started collected MLB bats!), and grown my personal knowledge base due to the facts and information shared by all.

Tom

Go State! NC State grad 1981

suave1477
02-13-2010, 09:37 PM
All,

Nick

Since in the good heart of the forum and of course I woudn't want a good thread to go unspoiled. Let me say this What were they thinking when they hired TNT to moderate????? Oh well there goes the neighborhood lol lol

Just Kidding!!

Congratulations TNT!!! I know you will do a great job.

P.S. since we are good friends I know you will not play favortisim with me (wink wink) :cool: :D :p lol

larry bourget
02-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Who are the 5 New Mods. You should list your screen name with your real name beside it. Thanks.

LB

allstarsplus
02-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Who are the 5 New Mods. You should list your screen name with your real name beside it. Thanks.

LB

Larry - I am 1 of the 5 new Moderators. My info and real name, etc. are in my signature line.

mwbosoxfan
02-14-2010, 11:00 AM

LB

Hello Everyone,

We are very pleased to announce that an annual committee has been formed to help moderate the forum. The committee of the first annual term will consist of five individuals: David Louie (metsbats), Andrew Lang (allstarsplus), Greg Guy (dcgreg25), Nick DiSalvo (TNTtoys) and Joel Sabalza (joelsabi). All of these individuals are veteran members and have contributed to the forum in many ways. Please welcome them to the moderating committee and join me in thanking them for their assistance and supporting them in their efforts.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who responded to our request for volunteering for the moderating committee. Many people responded, which is indicative of the fact that people care about the community and are willing to help to continue making this a great place for everyone. Due to the size of the committee, which we believe matches the needs of the forum, choosing the moderating members was a very, very difficult decision because we felt everyone who volunteered would have done a great job. Notably, the annual committee will be refilled each year and there will be opportunities for others to serve. In addition, the current committee will be selecting back-ups from the list of the volunteers to help as soon as they have the opportunity to get everything in place.

This is also a perfect time to extend our sincere appreciation to those who have moderated this forum for the past several years. Their efforts and accomplishments have been tremendous. Moderating forums is far from an easy task. I am sure they welcome a much deserved break J. Mike Specht and I will continue to serve in an advisory role and help where needed.

We are excited to have the new committee to help guide and moderate the forum. We look forward to the forum continuing to grow and be a great resource for collectors.

Capital-Sports
02-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Should be about time for a new autograph forum moderator.

I won't go into detail about this.

I do vote for sammy.

Cheers

CollectGU
02-14-2010, 04:55 PM
I would suggest that the $500 limit on game used items in the classified section be lifted, limiting it to that amount never made sense to me

Dave

frikativ54
02-14-2010, 06:14 PM
I would suggest that the $500 limit on game used items in the classified section be lifted, limiting it to that amount never made sense to me

Dave

While I appreciate your suggestion, it's doubtful that the price limit will be lifted. One of the reasons it was put into place was so GUU would not be held liable for any big-dollar transactions that would go poorly. Therefore, I think they still want it to be in place.

CollectGU
02-14-2010, 06:31 PM
While I appreciate your suggestion, it's doubtful that the price limit will be lifted. One of the reasons it was put into place was so GUU would not be held liable for any big-dollar transactions that would go poorly. Therefore, I think they still want it to be in place.

They already have wording in place that they are not liable, so whether its a dollar or ten thousand shouldn't matter....the dollar amount does not make them more or less liable when the disclosure is in place...

camarokids
02-14-2010, 08:21 PM
I believe the real reason behind the price limit is steer the more expensive items to their auctions..........

frikativ54
02-14-2010, 08:28 PM
I believe the real reason behind the price limit is steer the more expensive items to their auctions..........

LOL! Watch out what you say, though, as the walls have ears. :p

joelsabi
02-14-2010, 09:08 PM

Dave

Hi Dave,

The simplest way I can explain this $500 limit is it being analogous to a school having a school policy that students cannot carry over $20 to school. The policy prevents possible theft of large amount of money that the school is not liable for and it prevents the possible problems that the theft of say $100 would have on school learning environment. In our case, the limit is $500 and the learning environment is the entire GUU forum.

Hope this helps in your understanding of the $500 limit.

The policy was clarified last August by the Administrators:

Participation in GUU Collector to Collector Classifieds forum is subject to the agreement of the following:

This forum is intended for collectors to sell among themselves. It is not intended for dealers, businesses or professional teams looking to sell their merchandise but simply a collector forum. In this forum, Game Used Universe will have no involvement in the evaluations of items or the transactions whatsoever nor will Game Used Universe moderate this forum. If there are any problems with transactions they will need to be resolved independent of Game Used Universe. To prevent any major problems from occurring, the sale price limit for items in this classified section is $500. If any of these rules are broken the poster will be suspended immediately without prior warning. This forum is being offered as a service to our members and we will not be sending warning emails to offenders, etc. Selling on this forum is free and is being offered exclusively at the request of our members. However, buyers need to be aware there are no guarantees to the claims of sellers and you are buying at your on risk.

Those participating in this forum also agree with and understand the “Collector to Collector Classifieds" forum has nothing to do with Game Used Universe’s selling model and Game Used Universe will not be accountable for any false representations, shipping of incorrect items, etc.

xpress34
02-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Joel -

Sending you an eMail. I have a question about C to C that is NOT addressed in the 'rules' and would rather discuss privately 1st.

- Chris

BoneRubbedBat
02-15-2010, 10:56 AM
What I think is awesome is that in the week or so since the new mods have been in place, the general mood of the forum had already improved. Thanks to Chris, the mods, and the combined knowledge of all our members, we can restore our "home" to what is was in the past......a place to share information on the hobby we all love.

CollectGU
02-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi Dave,

The simplest way I can explain this $500 limit is it being analogous to a school having a school policy that students cannot carry over $20 to school. The policy prevents possible theft of large amount of money that the school is not liable for and it prevents the possible problems that the theft of say $100 would have on school learning environment. In our case, the limit is $500 and the learning environment is the entire GUU forum.

Hope this helps in your understanding of the $500 limit.

The policy was clarified last August by the Administrators:

Participation in GUU Collector to Collector Classifieds forum is subject to the agreement of the following:

This forum is intended for collectors to sell among themselves. It is not intended for dealers, businesses or professional teams looking to sell their merchandise but simply a collector forum. In this forum, Game Used Universe will have no involvement in the evaluations of items or the transactions whatsoever nor will Game Used Universe moderate this forum. If there are any problems with transactions they will need to be resolved independent of Game Used Universe. To prevent any major problems from occurring, the sale price limit for items in this classified section is $500. If any of these rules are broken the poster will be suspended immediately without prior warning. This forum is being offered as a service to our members and we will not be sending warning emails to offenders, etc. Selling on this forum is free and is being offered exclusively at the request of our members. However, buyers need to be aware there are no guarantees to the claims of sellers and you are buying at your on risk.

Those participating in this forum also agree with and understand the “Collector to Collector Classifieds" forum has nothing to do with Game Used Universe’s selling model and Game Used Universe will not be accountable for any false representations, shipping of incorrect items, etc.

Joel,

Thanks for responding back to me so quickly and for the analogy although it still makes no sense. The forum is not liable so why the amount. The hockey forum does not limit the amount and it seemed to work out over there.....

dave

joelsabi
02-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Joel,

Thanks for responding back to me so quickly and for the analogy although it still makes no sense. The forum is not liable so why the amount. The hockey forum does not limit the amount and it seemed to work out over there.....

dave

Hi Dave,

Let me place emphasis on a certain part of the analogy.

The simplest way I can explain this $500 limit is it being analogous to a school having a school policy that students cannot carry over $20 to school. The policy prevents possible theft of large amount of money that the school is not liable for and it prevents the possible problems that the theft of say $100 would have on the school learning environment. In our case, the limit is $500 and the learning environment is the entire GUU forum.

Another school (your hockey forum) may not have such a school policy and that is their right as a school. Some students feel that such a school policy makes for a safer learning environment, where learning has more importance over other activities. Other students feel the school policy is unnecessary and overprotective.

A school policy of a $20 limit was unheard of back in the days. Unfortunately, such preventive policies are becoming more commonplace everywhere not just schools. For example, I take off my shoes at the airport to make travelers feel safer. Is it an inconvenience for me? Yes. Do I understand why the policy is in place? Yes.

The GUU mission is ”to bring game used collectors together and help hobbyists educate each other.” Personally, I like the emphasis on education and it is the main reason I come to the forum. Would it be an inconvenience for me to not be able to list my game used Alex Rodriguez bat on the CtoC section if I wanted to? Yes. Do I understand why the policy is in place? Yes.

Dave, I respect your position. Let's agree to disagree on this issue.

Regards,

Joel