PDA

View Full Version : AMI Pujols game used bat

justinlm24
02-12-2010, 11:09 AM
I was watching this and was gonna bid, but not sure if this is an authentic pujols game used bat. Don't see hardly any tar on it. What are your guys thoughts on this bat and the selling price? the next minimum bid was $1299 I believe, would I have gotten a good deal had I bid on it? Just wondering what everyone thought.....

bigtruck260
02-12-2010, 11:21 AM
The auction listing says that the bat is 33.5 oz - but the information written by SAM on the end of the bat says 31.5. I can never tell the tar application from photos - they always seem to look darker on the computer...

This is from Jeff Scott's (Birdbats) site -

My recommendation regarding Pujols bats is to purchase either a Louisville Slugger or Sam Bat. That doesn't mean other bats are automatically bad, but the numbers don't lie. The odds of a Rawlings or Easton bat being an actual gamer are slim. Be especially wary of X-Bats made prior to 2006 because the general public could purchase bats identical to those used by players. These retail bats had the flag of the Dominican Republic on the handle (pro bats did not have the flag). When you see these for sale as "gamers," the flag usually remains. If there is no flag, look for a rectangular void in the bat finish indicating where a flag may have been removed.

Model: Albert favors the Louisville Slugger I13L, but also has received and used the I13, C243, M356 and R205. His Sam Bats are either SG1, JB1 or JB1(S)SG1 models. X-Bats will be labeled "Model 24/Pro Maple 34" or "Model 13/Pro Maple 34" and should not have any kind of flag on the handle. Old Hickory bats are labeled "Custom Pro AP5" or "34.0 PRO JL18."

If you're considering a Louisville Slugger, make sure the bat conforms to Albert's specs. Most of his bats are 34" long, but there are some that measure 34.5". Weights run from 31 ounces to 32.5 ounces, though he did receive a dozen bats in 2005 that were 36 ounces (perhaps he wanted a heavier bat for batting practice). Remember, a bat could look legit, but if it's too heavy, it probably was made for promotional purposes. A list of Albert's LS bat orders and specs (through early 2005) is available here (http://webpages.charter.net/birdbats/Birdbats/Player%20Models/pujols.htm).

http://webpages.charter.net/birdbats/Birdbats/Notes%20and%20Articles/Pujols%20bat%20buyers%20guide.htm

Based on the info above - I would FIRST contact Jeff for a second opinion, and if green lighted...would then attempt to out-bid him on it if legit;) :D .

shoremen44
02-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I saw it too.. I didnt like anything about it

1. Little to No use
2. No tar
3. a crack and Water damage? on the knob

I think you did good to stay away

bigtruck260
02-12-2010, 11:52 AM
I saw it too.. I didnt like anything about it

1. Little to No use
2. No tar
3. a crack and Water damage? on the knob

I think you did good to stay away

...and if Bert didn't bid on it, and I won it - I would be upset, because I'm not the type of person to pawn my crap onto someone esle.

justinlm24
02-12-2010, 11:54 AM
I thought the use looked pretty good, but I didn't even pick up on the difference in weight. that could just be a typo however. I was wondering what that marking was on the knob. Didn't even cross my mind it ws water damage. Yea looks like I'm glad I stayed away. I can't believe I've been searching for a solid pujols for over a year now and have yet to find one that doesn't come with some sort of speculation....maybe one day....:(

bigtruck260
02-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Duh - shouldn't post until I've had coffee.

I was looking at a different bat apparently. Are we talking about the 08 Marucci?

justinlm24
02-12-2010, 12:14 PM
yes the marucci, not the LVS....I was outbid on the LVS....nice bat though