PDA

View Full Version : New Moderators on the way

allstarsplus
02-11-2010, 05:08 PM
I just spoke to Chris Cavalier and he is putting on-line 5 new moderators and these new Mods will also form a committee where some of the new ideas members have talked about can be implemented.

Just wanted to let you all know.

Also, if anyone is an IP address expert and wants to give me a quick education, can you send me an email. THANKS!

both-teams-played-hard
02-11-2010, 05:10 PM
An IP address can be changed relatively easy.

3arod13
02-11-2010, 05:12 PM
[quote=allstarsplus;187384]I just spoke to Chris Cavalier and he is putting on-line 5 new moderators and these new Mods will also form a committee where some of the new ideas members have talked about can be implemented.

Just wanted to let you all know.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

allstarsplus
02-11-2010, 05:16 PM

Doesn't it show the originating area though which is what I am attempting to do?

rj_lucas
02-11-2010, 05:27 PM

Only by routing your connection through a proxy server. There are web-based and downloadable proxy tools, but they cost money and are largely unreliable.

The IP address assigned by your router and/or ISP cannot be changed. IP addresses can be 'spoofed' (faked), but there are methods to counter spoofing.

With either proxies or spoofing, there is time and/or expense involved. As I said in an earlier post, IP blocking is not foolproof, but it will filter out a lot of the casual troublemakers.

Andrew, I'll be out of town for the next week, but feel free to ping me after that and we can talk further.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

My company: lucasdesign.com

joelsabi
02-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Doesn't it show the originating area though which is what I am attempting to do?

Yes you can get the general vacinity of where the email is coming from. you cannot get the exact ip address of the computer if its behind a router or a network.

allstarsplus
02-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Yes you can get the general vacinity of where the email is coming from. you cannot get the exact ip address of the computer if its behind a router or a network.

You guys are great! Rudy V. used to do this years ago where he pinpointed the general location of an IP Address.

Someone emailed me and sent me a program law enforcement uses and I tried it on myself and it is perfect, then I tried it on some banned members who have emailed me too.

stretch
02-11-2010, 06:12 PM
A proxy can actually be obtained for free and they're used very often.

As a mod you need bookmarked a site like: http://geotool.servehttp.com/

You can enter the IP address and find the locations around the country the user has been posting from. Now, if it's a proxy, the locations will jump all over the place, so most likely it's a previously banned poster if the IP address from yesterday has a location in Germany, and the next day if the IP address shows another country. So, there are patterns to follow, and the mod can observe those to come to his or her conclusion about the user.

Remember, all IP addresses are very senentive materal, and Chris needs to truly trust the person he gives a modship to.

allstarsplus
02-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Stretch - Your link is interesting as it took me to a commercial building in an adjoining city while the other program took me right to the person's home.

Amazing zooming in on these.

I have been contacted by a few clowns that I can now pinpoint more about who they are with this law enforcement tool. Even that I was told is not 100% since some can mask their locations well. In this case, I got the person I was looking for as I then cross-referenced their street address to a database. BINGO! :D :D :D

rj_lucas
02-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Stretch - Your link is interesting as it took me to a commercial building in an adjoining city while the other program took me right to the person's home.

The geotool servlet is looking at the first range of numbers in the IP address, which pinpoints the location of the ISP. That's why it's showing you a commercial building.

The law enforcement tool is using the last range of numbers, which pinpoints the specific geo-location of the user's network.

Stretch, you don't obtain a proxy. It's an external server (usually a hub of servers) set up for the explicit purpose of masking an IP. Yes, there are 'free' proxies out there. They leave audit trails that are relatively easy to follow back to the originating IP, or at least the ISP.

Bottom line, as Andrew can attest, privacy is an complete illusion where the Internet is concerned. If more people understood that, it would probably cut down on the malicious behavior.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

stretch
02-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Wow, it must be really nice to have a tool like that.

It would be very useful for the site I see over, as geotool is the only thing I have close to it.

Cheers

both-teams-played-hard
02-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Wow, it must be really nice to have a tool like that.

The good thing about this forum is, you will come across many tools.

chakes89
02-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Who are the 5 new mods?

I can see that metsbats is one of the new ones.

So who are the other 4?

metsbats
02-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Who are the 5 new mods?

I can see that metsbats is one of the new ones.

So who are the other 4?

Chris will be coming out with a formal announcement very soon.

We appreciate your patience and look forward to serving the Forum.

chakes89
02-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Congrats on your promotion. :)

sox83cubs84
02-12-2010, 03:25 PM
David:

Glad to be informed of your selection.

Dave M.
Chicago area