PDA

View Full Version : OT: I hung out with 4 MLB players last night

murfsteve25
02-10-2010, 09:19 PM
I know this is off topic but i'll gladly take the bashing in exchage for telling my story.

A lady I work with is Friends with the PR lady for the base. The PR lady wanted to bring a few Japanese ballplayers on the base to shop at the BX and eat american food. The lady I work with asked her friend if she needed any help, as she knew i was a big baseball fan. I was asked to meet the players at the gate at 5pm to sign them on and show them around the BX.

So I pull up to the gate and there were 4 american guys standing outside. I instantly recognized one of the mas Matt Murton. I remembered him from his Cubs days. So i walk up to them and ask if they were comming on base. Then we introduced ourselves to each other and kinda stood around and talked while we were waiting on the PR lady to show up. The other 3 guys were Randy Messenger, Casey Fossum and Craig Brazell. They all had some time in the MLB and recently signed to play in Japan.

Finally we get the ball rolling and head over to the BX. The guys were really nice and were asking me a bunch of questions about the base and about the military. I in turn had my fair share of questions for them. We get upstairs and 3 of the players wanted to just browse around and Matt Murton wanted to go look at supplements. I took him over there and was helping him try to find want he needed. We must have stood there for a good 15-20 mins just talkin and lookin at different products. He was thrilled to visit the base and kept saying its something he'll never forget. Then we walked over to the electronics and checked out the video games. He wanted to find a new game to play and we prolly spent another 30 mins standing there talking and browsing at different games. There was a lot of normal conversation, as i did a good job of keeping my composure and trying not to ask too much about baseball. I was standing there still in awe, i couldnt believe how a few years ago i was watching Matt take fly balls in the outfield in Cincinnati as a Cub and now im standing here shopping with him.

We finally got the players checked out at the cash register, then we headed down stairs for some food. It was great just sitting there with these guys talking and sharing stories. Taco Bell and Subway is what everyone was craving for. They told me they've got a game this Saturday and invited out to watch and said when i get there to yell at them so they can come over and say hi. Matt wants to bring my son on the field and pass with him, which i know he'll be excited for that.

After dinner, we exchanged emailed addresses. Matt put mine down in his phone and shot me and email right there. Finally we took a group photo with everyones cameras which turned out great.

It didnt hit me until after I got in my car and drove away. I was pretty pumped about everything. Looking forward to Saturday...

Will post pics here soon.

mariner_gamers
02-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Great story!! It is always nice to hear a positive story involving athletes.

70to66
02-10-2010, 09:28 PM
That is cool!

joelsabi
02-10-2010, 09:30 PM
I know this is off topic but i'll gladly take the bashing in exchage for telling my story.

A lady I work with is Friends with the PR lady for the base. The PR lady wanted to bring a few Japanese ballplayers on the base to shop at the BX and eat american food. The lady I work with asked her friend if she needed any help, as she knew i was a big baseball fan. I was asked to meet the players at the gate at 5pm to sign them on and show them around the BX.

So I pull up to the gate and there were 4 american guys standing outside. I instantly recognized one of the mas Matt Murton. I remembered him from his Cubs days. So i walk up to them and ask if they were comming on base. Then we introduced ourselves to each other and kinda stood around and talked while we were waiting on the PR lady to show up. The other 3 guys were Randy Messenger, Casey Fossum and Craig Brazell. They all had some time in the MLB and recently signed to play in Japan.

Finally we get the ball rolling and head over to the BX. The guys were really nice and were asking me a bunch of questions about the base and about the military. I in turn had my fair share of questions for them. We get upstairs and 3 of the players wanted to just browse around and Matt Murton wanted to go look at supplements. I took him over there and was helping him try to find want he needed. We must have stood there for a good 15-20 mins just talkin and lookin at different products. He was thrilled to visit the base and kept saying its something he'll never forget. Then we walked over to the electronics and checked out the video games. He wanted to find a new game to play and we prolly spent another 30 mins standing there talking and browsing at different games. There was a lot of normal conversation, as i did a good job of keeping my composure and trying not to ask too much about baseball. I was standing there still in awe, i couldnt believe how a few years ago i was watching Matt take fly balls in the outfield in Cincinnati as a Cub and now im standing here shopping with him.

We finally got the players checked out at the cash register, then we headed down stairs for some food. It was great just sitting there with these guys talking and sharing stories. Taco Bell and Subway is what everyone was craving for. They told me they've got a game this Saturday and invited out to watch and said when i get there to yell at them so they can come over and say hi. Matt wants to bring my son on the field and pass with him, which i know he'll be excited for that.

After dinner, we exchanged emailed addresses. Matt put mine down in his phone and shot me and email right there. Finally we took a group photo with everyones cameras which turned out great.

It didnt hit me until after I got in my car and drove away. I was pretty pumped about everything. Looking forward to Saturday...

Will post pics here soon.

very cool. why do I have a feeling we have a new Matt Murton collector on our hands.

by chance are you in the military base yokosuka? i grew there.

murfsteve25
02-10-2010, 10:02 PM
very cool. why do I have a feeling we have a new Matt Murton collector on our hands.

by chance are you in the military base yokosuka? i grew there.

I'm not going to lie, I was looking around for Murton stuff. Good call on that! lol

But I know Matt said theyve got some hats and stuff for me at the stadium theyll give me on Saturday so theres a chance I could get some game used stuff directly.

Oh so you grew up in mainland Japan. I'm on the tiny island Okinawa. Kadena Air base. The teams are down here now for training. They'll fly back up after this month.

Manram
02-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Cool story

xpress34
02-10-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm not going to lie, I was looking around for Murton stuff. Good call on that! lol

But I know Matt said theyve got some hats and stuff for me at the stadium theyll give me on Saturday so theres a chance I could get some game used stuff directly.

Oh so you grew up in mainland Japan. I'm on the tiny island Okinawa. Kadena Air base. The teams are down here now for training. They'll fly back up after this month.

Extremely cool!!! I met Matt when he was here with the Rockies for a short stint... very nice guy - and you can't miss that RED hair!!!

Anyway, if you are serious about Murton items, a guy I met at a show here in Denver has a Murton GU CUBS Rookie Jersey that I believe he is looking to move. I can look for his info and see if he still has it, asking price, etc if you're interested.

- Chris

murfsteve25
02-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Extremely cool!!! I met Matt when he was here with the Rockies for a short stint... very nice guy - and you can't miss that RED hair!!!

Anyway, if you are serious about Murton items, a guy I met at a show here in Denver has a Murton GU CUBS Rookie Jersey that I believe he is looking to move. I can look for his info and see if he still has it, asking price, etc if you're interested.

- Chris
I will eventually want to pick some stuff up but im broke as of now :(. But I'll deff hit you up with an email!

murfsteve25
02-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Here are the pics...:D

CUTiger23
02-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Murton's brother played at Georgia Tech last season, and will this one as well. He was a nice kid and joking around with us in the outfield.

That is a very cool story about them.

legaleagle92481
02-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Cool story. Does anyone else have any cool stories? I don't have a personal one but my uncle golfed with Jack Nicklaus about 15 years ago. Jack and my uncle's company at the time did some business together and I guess some of it got done over golf.

murfsteve25
02-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Jack and my uncle's company at the time did some business together and I guess some of it got done over golf.

Best way to do business :D

The Kid
02-11-2010, 05:19 AM

that is a great story, congrats on meet them..and nice to see another AF member on here thats in Japan, im currently stationed up in Misawa.

murfsteve25
02-11-2010, 06:46 AM
that is a great story, congrats on meet them..and nice to see another AF member on here thats in Japan, im currently stationed up in Misawa.

Thats awesome. Gotta represent the good ol' PACAF

BIGSTIG
02-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Murfsteve

If you are lokking for some Murton stuff on the cheap side, ferg0027 has a pair of cleats and a bat on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Chicago-Cubs-Game-Used-Bat-19-Matt-Murton_W0QQitemZ110477510200QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b8f90638

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Chicago-Cubs-Game-Used-Matt-Murton-Custom-Cleats_W0QQitemZ120508188383QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0ed906df

BIGSTIG

jtnatalierica
02-13-2010, 01:46 AM
Hi all, I've been in this forum for about 3 years. This story brings me to my good friend that plays in Japan also. His name is Brian Sikorski. He is from Roseville, Michigan and I have been catching him during the off-season for the past 12 years. He played in the Majors with Texas, Houston, San Diego and Cleveland. He has played for the Yakult Swallows, Yomory Giants, Chibbe Lotte and is currently with the Siebu Lions. He brought me over to Japan 2 years ago and I spent time with Julio Zuletta and THE Bobby Valentine, his manager, while in the dugout during batting practice. He has given me many of his game used jerseys from all his teams, including a TBTC Chibba whole uniform, hat, jersey, pants, patten leather bright red belt, stirrups and under sanitaries. Also, and this is the biggie, he gave me one of his Yomory Giants jerseys. On a whim, I brought it over, just in case. Well, for one series, he was playing Yomory, whose manager was SADAHARA OH. I asked Brian if he could get that jersey signed by Sadahara. He stated "You know who he is, right?" I said "yes, it would be cool to have his autograph". He said "That's like asking Babe Ruth for his name, I can't do that". I said "give it a whirl, he can only say NO". Well, he went over and asked, bowed curteously, and Sadahara said "Ah, Sikorskisan, very good pitching last night and I'll be glad to sign it for you". Brian said he was shaking like a leaf he was so nervous, but Sadahara signed 3 balls and signed on the the front of Brian's jersey. I have it and told Brian he gave it to me 3 years ago and he can't have it back. He laughed and realizes he made a mistake parting with it, but, he knows it means more to me than him, but, he's still kicking himself. I'm going back sometime this year and who knows what's next. I also threw batting practice for 8 years in the Majors with Toronto and Detroit from 1984-1991 and have many big league stories that are good read from Randy Johnson, Kirk Gibson, Lance Parrish, Alan Trammell, Ernie Whitt, Sparky Anderson, Jack Morris. I'm also inline to return to that job this season. I'm waiting for the ok from Jim Leyland thru Jeff Jones. I'll post later of some Nick Swisher tales as I worked with him while I coached in Parkersburgh, West Virginia.

murfsteve25
02-13-2010, 05:34 AM
Hi all, I've been in this forum for about 3 years. This story brings me to my good friend that plays in Japan also. His name is Brian Sikorski. He is from Roseville, Michigan and I have been catching him during the off-season for the past 12 years. He played in the Majors with Texas, Houston, San Diego and Cleveland. He has played for the Yakult Swallows, Yomory Giants, Chibbe Lotte and is currently with the Siebu Lions. He brought me over to Japan 2 years ago and I spent time with Julio Zuletta and THE Bobby Valentine, his manager, while in the dugout during batting practice. He has given me many of his game used jerseys from all his teams, including a TBTC Chibba whole uniform, hat, jersey, pants, patten leather bright red belt, stirrups and under sanitaries. Also, and this is the biggie, he gave me one of his Yomory Giants jerseys. On a whim, I brought it over, just in case. Well, for one series, he was playing Yomory, whose manager was SADAHARA OH. I asked Brian if he could get that jersey signed by Sadahara. He stated "You know who he is, right?" I said "yes, it would be cool to have his autograph". He said "That's like asking Babe Ruth for his name, I can't do that". I said "give it a whirl, he can only say NO". Well, he went over and asked, bowed curteously, and Sadahara said "Ah, Sikorskisan, very good pitching last night and I'll be glad to sign it for you". Brian said he was shaking like a leaf he was so nervous, but Sadahara signed 3 balls and signed on the the front of Brian's jersey. I have it and told Brian he gave it to me 3 years ago and he can't have it back. He laughed and realizes he made a mistake parting with it, but, he knows it means more to me than him, but, he's still kicking himself. I'm going back sometime this year and who knows what's next. I also threw batting practice for 8 years in the Majors with Toronto and Detroit from 1984-1991 and have many big league stories that are good read from Randy Johnson, Kirk Gibson, Lance Parrish, Alan Trammell, Ernie Whitt, Sparky Anderson, Jack Morris. I'm also inline to return to that job this season. I'm waiting for the ok from Jim Leyland thru Jeff Jones. I'll post later of some Nick Swisher tales as I worked with him while I coached in Parkersburgh, West Virginia.

Very interesting story. I love hearing about things like this. Thanks for sharing! Post more if you'd like.

tigerdale
02-13-2010, 08:40 AM
all great stories.......

murfsteve25
02-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Went to the Hanshin Tigers vs. Hamfighters game today. The players were expecting us so when we showed up, someone from the team came and got my son and I and took us to the credintials office to get us a few passes. We were able to get special access to places normal fans wernt allowed to go. Before the game my son and I went to the practice field inside a neighboring dome. We were able to watch them warm up and when they finished, the players came over to say hello. It was so cool because as we were standing there, the media was ALL AROUND US taking so many photos. I kinda felt like i was a somebody lol. Then my son and I went to the field and grabbed a seat behind centerfield (where Murton was playing). After he left the game in the 6th, we walked over to the practice dome where i met up with him. We talked more about normal stuff like video games. He signed 2 balls for my son. 1 was a practice ball and the other was a game ball. It was a very cool experience and was neat to experience the special treatment. The players are wanting to come back to the base on Monday so i will most likely be with them.

murfsteve25
02-15-2010, 08:38 AM
So the players wanted to come back on base today and go to the BX and eat at Chilis. Just the players and interpreters came today, no PR people, so i brought along my wife. She was pretty excited to come. Normal stuff at the BX, just shopped. Then we went over to Chilis and had some dinner. They were lovin some American food. Was very cool sittin in there with them and having normal conversations. I would explain things about the military and they would explain things about baseball. They had plenty of questions for my wife because 2 of theirs wives will be giving birth in Japan. I printed out the group photo that i posted on here before into a 8X10 and had them all sign it. They were happy to do it and loved the pic. They paid for my mine and my wifes meals, which was very nice of them. Afterwards Craig Brazell was telling me that he was having one of his jerseys shipped here from the stadium in Osaka so he could give me. He said it should be here tomorrow. I was very pumped up about that. I couldnt believe he was offering me one, and i didnt even have to ask.

toshi
02-20-2010, 12:02 AM
I am Hanshin Tigers fan. It is enviable.....
R.MESSENGER,C.BRAZELL,M.MURTON,C.FOSSUM
I expect it of them.