PDA

View Full Version : O/T: Shipping

ivo610
02-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Who do you use for shipping, who dont you use, and why?

I have only used USPS bc of the local locations, and a few times UPS but they seem more expensive depending on where I ship to.

CampWest
02-09-2010, 02:25 PM
For most items USPS is most convenient - print shipping labels online and drop items at the box here at work. But for high-importance items I find UPS to be more reliable - USPS damages and loses things on occassion, where I have never had much issue with UPS.

If I cannot obtain shipping online (ie Insurance over $500 or the like), UPS is actually more convenient for me than a trip to the post office. There is a UPS Store a block from my house with typically immediate service. On the other hand POs are out of the way and generally have a 15-20+ minute wait in line.

I generally do not use FedEx or DHL. UPS and USPS meet all my needs and are more convenient.

David
02-09-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm no shipping expert, but I have found UPS to be much cheaper on very large items. I shipped a heavily packaged 5x4 foot photo and was almost shocked how low was the charge. I was expecting it to be like $100.

both-teams-played-hard
02-09-2010, 03:02 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/35385ly.jpg

yankees.stub
02-09-2010, 03:26 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/35385ly.jpg

Oh damn, I still have some of those wax boxes laying around somewhere.

Looks like '88 or '89?

Even kept the cut out of the MATTINGLY on top of the box, since I did not get one in the first box.

Thank you for bringing back depressing memories!

:cool:

geoff
02-09-2010, 03:39 PM
I use USPS For Everything I Ship.I never had any Issues yet with them And my Local Post Office is only 2 Miles Away from me.

mariner_gamers
02-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Because of multiple problems shipping with UPS including a "lost" bat, packing tube made it but not the contents, I only use USPS. I have also had 2 UPS packages out of 20 not make it to my house. USPS is 200+ coming in and 40 or 50 going out with a perfect score....knock on wood.......

eisenreich8
02-09-2010, 04:27 PM
I send everything FedEx Ground. I recently shipped a reproduction Civil War musket for $5.99. USPS on this item is almost always $25 +/-, and I wouldn't trust UPS with my outbound shipments.

I could send you a GU bat, trackable, for 5 bucks or less using FedEx Ground. We ship off my dock at work so we get to weigh/process everything.

10thMan
02-09-2010, 05:15 PM
I almost always use USPS. I agree it normally costs more, but it`s preferred for several reasons. Convenient, I like the Tracking, & My Personal Clerk is Really good to me, with incoming stuff. I get "other" stuff from UPS, but Don`t trust the Carriers. Sounds a bit personal, but that`s how I feel.

I had a (UPS shipped) Charger Jersey show up about 830-845PM, simply tossed over my security Gate. Strange considering UPS leaves the Area about 6pm, their "main" Hub is about 40 Miles from here. This was after UPS missed the 9am promised Delivery.

Sean

bigtime59
02-09-2010, 06:08 PM
I've been USPS for a while, but it's getting harder and harder to get packages dropped off, now that most USPS branches have their hours set for the retired and unemployed...
Our local post office used to be open until 9 p.m. weeknights and on Saturdays. They now close at 5 p.m. weekdays and aren't open on Saturdays.