PDA

View Full Version : Has the increase in teams/leagues selling GU items decreased the amount of fake GU items in the market?

dcgreg25
02-09-2010, 01:23 PM
I was reading through the other thread on the oversaturation of the GU market and was curious for other members opinions on this. Since MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL and their teams have been much more active in marketing and selling their own items, do you think there are fewer fake items in the marketplace for the past few years? At the same time, it seems that GU collecting has grown in popularity making fakes potentially more lucrative so I am curious about everyone's take on this.

yankees.stub
02-09-2010, 01:27 PM
I was reading through the other thread on the oversaturation of the GU market and was curious for other members opinions on this. Since MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL and their teams have been much more active in marketing and selling their own items, do you think there are fewer fake items in the marketplace for the past few years? At the same time, it seems that GU collecting has grown in popularity making fakes potentially more lucrative so I am curious about everyone's take on this.

Fake/counterfeits and AUTHENTIC GU are produce at the same location. It is all about tagging and documents attached with the item.

Cant guarantee anything is 100% authentic - unless I have the video of the player taking off the jersey and toss it to you ..... ala ... Mean Joe Green in the COKE commercials back in the day!

Game Used Bats
02-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Yankee.Stub / Vic Fanatic,

Are you going to post photos of the GU Jersey's you have? There are dozens of fakes out there of the jerseys you proclaim you have. Posting legitimate UDA GU jersey's of these stars can be very informative.

You have made an insane number of posts in the past week that inturn have qualified you as a "Senior Member". In your wake you have littered the forum with posts that have provided little to no substance. I think you should offer something of value to this community rather than polluting its space with worthless posts of grandeur.

Silent DoGood

yankees.stub
02-09-2010, 02:13 PM
You have made an insane number of posts in the past week that inturn have qualified you as a "Senior Member". In your wake you have littered the forum with posts that have provided little to no substance. I think you should offer something of value to this community rather than polluting its space with worthless posts of grandeur.

Silent DoGood

People inform on this fourm to increase in status?

Wow, really...

Please MODERATOR, cut the SENIOR from my membership - if possible, please insert ROOKIE .... or just leave it just as MEMBER!

As for my stuff in the basement - if it is fake, oh well. If it is real, yippee.

How funny is this ... people care about what I have and being very careless about them ... stuff them in cool and dark basement with no hope seeing the light of being on display.

Really...

yankees.stub
02-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Are you going to post photos of the GU Jersey's you have? There are dozens of fakes out there of the jerseys you proclaim you have. Posting legitimate UDA GU jersey's of these stars can be very informative.

Silent DoGood

Here are couple of GU stuff I wish I dont own.

But someone here stated that "For the good of thousand ... one has to be sacrified.." (something to that extend)

sox83cubs84
02-09-2010, 02:50 PM
I think misrepresented (not necessarily fake) items are as big a problem as ever in terms of availability...one look at GUF threads and MEARS population reports will show how many bad items are out there, from Pujos to Manning to Kobe to Crosby. Add to it the quantity of items that were "upgraded" (i.e., pro-cut or game-issued to game-used), and there's a heckuva lot of 'em out there. The one good thing is the information available, be it third part authenticators, experienced niche experts or internet sites like this one, where what's contributed or researched helps make the collector base far more educated than they were even 5 years ago, much less 10 or 20.

Dave M.
Chicago area

legaleagle92481
02-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Has the increase of "authenticated" autographs i.e. MLB, Steiner, Mounted Memories, Tristar, UDA certified and hologrammed items reduced the forgeries in the autograph market? A quick check of Ebay or Coaches Corner's Auctions shows that they are alive and well. When there I potential for money to be made you always get people trying to make a quick buck. The potential for someone to turn a $15 investment in an unsigned baseball from Sports Authority into a baseball "signed" by a star player and a $100 profit everytime he makes such a sale is enticing to the lowlifes. The same potential exists for turing game cut/ game issued items into "G/U items" and can lead to much bigger profits than many "autographs" especially of modern players. Also alot of collectors do not do their homework and buy blindly because something is a "good price" or because they want to believe it is real.