PDA

View Full Version : How annoying is this??

perlman9
02-08-2010, 03:55 PM
So as I mentioned, I can help collectors get items from recently graduated or now in the NFL Ohio State players. I also do not make any money but may get a little treasure or may not. I am doing this to help OSU collectors.

Anyway, I get an email from someone asking about several players, including Malcom Jenkins and AJ Hawk where he tells me prices for a jersey and a helmet. I spend time reaching out to these players and find that I can get AJ Hawks Packers helmet for the price he gave. He then responds with an offer that is just over half of what he offered. Is there anything more frustrating when you take your own time to help collectors and they then try to low ball or not buy at all? I know I have been guilty of slow response time, but I would never offer to buy something for a price, then say know when someone went and got it. The reason for not paying the full amount? He may not get his investment back. So it wasn't even for him. I also may be able to get a Jenkins jersey, but not for this person. Sheesh.

Again, I am happy to help someone get an item from a former Buckeye if I can and all I ask is that person live up to the bargain. For example, someone asked about Santonio. He has no game worn, so I replied that I could get a signed authentic, and he quickly and politely replied that wasn't what he was looking for. But the Hawk thing really has me fuming so hopefully that will be a blip as I would hate to not help true collectors get items they would treasure because of this one person.

Sorry for the rant, buy I know Neely knows where I am coming from.

legaleagle92481
02-08-2010, 04:12 PM
So as I mentioned, I can help collectors get items from recently graduated or now in the NFL Ohio State players. I also do not make any money but may get a little treasure or may not. I am doing this to help OSU collectors.

Anyway, I get an email from someone asking about several players, including Malcom Jenkins and AJ Hawk where he tells me prices for a jersey and a helmet. I spend time reaching out to these players and find that I can get AJ Hawks Packers helmet for the price he gave. He then responds with an offer that is just over half of what he offered. Is there anything more frustrating when you take your own time to help collectors and they then try to low ball or not buy at all? I know I have been guilty of slow response time, but I would never offer to buy something for a price, then say know when someone went and got it. The reason for not paying the full amount? He may not get his investment back. So it wasn't even for him. I also may be able to get a Jenkins jersey, but not for this person. Sheesh.

Again, I am happy to help someone get an item from a former Buckeye if I can and all I ask is that person live up to the bargain. For example, someone asked about Santonio. He has no game worn, so I replied that I could get a signed authentic, and he quickly and politely replied that wasn't what he was looking for. But the Hawk thing really has me fuming so hopefully that will be a blip as I would hate to not help true collectors get items they would treasure because of this one person.

I hear you. Alot of people think others should take massive losses so that they can get something cheap and flip it for a profit. This site, Ebay and other sites have helped everyone become a "dealer".

legaleagle92481
02-08-2010, 04:13 PM
I hear you. Alot of people think others should take massive losses so that they can get something cheap and flip it for a profit. This site, Ebay and other sites have helped everyone become a "dealer".

I am referring to the easy ability to buy and sell stuff on the sites.

shoremen44
02-08-2010, 04:17 PM
I had two seperate instances recently...

Two seperate guys contacted me in regards to Pujols bats and to my Wieters cleats...

both of them sent in their emails, prices they would be willing to pay... not even something I had to search for, but stuff I already own...

as in... hey, saw your site if you ever want to sell X, or find another I would pay Y...

When I responded that I would be willing to sell it for X... they then offered me almost exactly half of what was in their original email.

I called them out on it, anf the response was almost exactly the same from both of them saying, that it was just an email and they would only be willing to pay what they thought it was worth...

Why send the original price in the first place????

skipcarayislegend
02-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I hear ya too. A handful of people around here definitely use some interesting, if not totally aggravating, negotiating tactics. I have more than a few examples but I'll share two of my "favorites":

I had one guy contact me unsolicited and offer X amount for something I wasn't even interested in selling. I declined, politely. He then emails me back and says that after talking with a few other collectors about the "value" of the item, he was LOWERING his initial offer which I had already refused. He was still trying to buy it! I actually had to read his second email twice to make sure I wasn't missing something. :confused::confused::confused:

Another guy emailed me about something I had on ebay. My starting bid was X amount and this guy wanted to do a BIN for about 25% less than the opening bid. Again, I politely declined. He emails back and says "Look, I know you're trying to make a quick dime since you only paid $X for this originally. So how about $X instead?" Once again his offer was about 20% less than the opening bid. I was thinking, are you kidding me? And, not once did he say "please," "thank you," "hello," etc, which is another pet peeve of mine. It's okay to be courteous, people...especially you younger ones! It was your garden variety, grade school level entitlement email. Needless to say I could care less if people like that ever bought from me.

There are a lot of decent, polite collectors on this forum who "get it." Sadly, many of them are no longer posting here on a regular basis.

perlman9
02-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the stories. What is the old saying, "Misery loves company?" Anyway, that ranks up there with someone buying a few items around Christmas and out of the goodness of my everloving heart I sent the items before receiving all the payment and needless to say, still waiting. I know that one is my own fault, but just sucks to trust fellow collectors and this happens. I want to keep helping but some people make it not worth while

shoremen44
02-08-2010, 04:48 PM
I had one guy contact me unsolicited and offer X amount for something I wasn't even interested in selling. I declined, politely. He then emails me back and says that after talking with a few other collectors about the "value" of the item, he was LOWERING his initial offer which I had already refused. He was still trying to buy it! I actually had to read his second email twice to make sure I wasn't missing something

Ha ha... I had this one happen to me too... a guy emailed meand made an offer, which waslow to begin with... I declined, as it was something that I was going to hold onto... he then talked about "value" and what it was really worth...

made me laugh really

sox83cubs84
02-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Had a similar episode when I set up at Willow Grove's fabled show in the late 1980s. A guy wanted to buy a Peter Zezel Flyers gamer I was selling on consignment. He lowballed me about $75 under my asking price. I told the guy the lowest I would take was $25 under (at which I wasn't getting a cut...the guy's kid, too old to be pulling this kind of crap, actually started sobbing when I wouldn't let it go at his dad's offer price). The father continued to lowball me, at which time I responded, "So what you're asking me to do is sell it to you at a price where I'll not only sacrifice my consignment fee, but on top of that, have to pay the guy $25 OUT OF MY OWN POCKET?" This moron still didn't have a clue, making the same lowball offer two more times before finally giving up.

What an imbecile!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dave M.
Chicago area

Fnazxc0114
02-09-2010, 12:27 AM
any chance you can let us know who this is. It seems like getting rid of frauds on this board would be easy to do if people would speak up.

Thanks for the stories. What is the old saying, "Misery loves company?" Anyway, that ranks up there with someone buying a few items around Christmas and out of the goodness of my everloving heart I sent the items before receiving all the payment and needless to say, still waiting. I know that one is my own fault, but just sucks to trust fellow collectors and this happens. I want to keep helping but some people make it not worth while

TriplexXxSports
02-09-2010, 07:26 AM

Ditto! I've had 2 in the last month. They are all nice and looking to make a deal, they praise you for all your generous help and then when you won't drop the rice of an item to what they think is fair, or what they want to pay, they get all pissed off and tell you what a POS you are etc.

I agree it is frustrating as hell. I just charge them a 25% Hassle Increase and move on.

perlman9
02-09-2010, 07:38 AM
I am always a bit leery about putting people on Front Street unless I have seen a pattern with them with other members too and have yet to see that but if I do see others saying the same about this person I will definitely chime in. I know we can be a finicky bunch at times but I think all have the heart in the right place (at least a majority of us) who want to help and I think that is what gets under my skin the most is when you are trying to be nice and help and this happens it becomes personal> If I was a business, that is part of the deal of being in business, but when someone is doing a personal favor, then it becomes someone is wasting your valuable time and taking advantage of a good situation. Fortunately, this person is trying to make amends and am sure will post the helmet in good spirits if they get it. If they don't, I may have to get it since I got AJ and another former Buckeye involved so although well over the $500 minimum, it may either be a centerpiece of someones collection or for sale.. lol. I am even having AJ sign it "Game Used" with the year he wore it which he wasn't going to do. *Fingers Crossed* this goes through and I am not out a ton of money I would spend with those on the board!

perlman9
02-09-2010, 07:43 AM
oops. As far as the person who didn't pay. I will see what happens after the last email I sent. I am always trying to be cognizant of people's situations, but if no response after this past email, then I will post the non-payer as I see that as a different situation than the backing out. At least the backing out didn't leave me on the hook for cash ... just reputation. Which I guess can be worse.

nationals2k9
02-09-2010, 08:45 AM
I had a bat up for X recently and a potential buyer offered me Y for it which I was slow to accept, but eventually did. He even asked me to hold it for him if I could lower the price to Y. Anyway, he the said he had one more question about the bat, which prompted me to take out ALL of my bats and take several pictures and answer his question. The very minute after I compiled the pictures and sent a nice email response he tells me he just can't pull the trigger any longer... his email literally hit at the same time I sent off my email, 99% sure we had a deal done. Nice timing and certainly a huge waste of time!

allstarsplus
02-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Ha ha... I had this one happen to me too... a guy emailed meand made an offer, which waslow to begin with... I declined, as it was something that I was going to hold onto... he then talked about "value" and what it was really worth...

made me laugh really

Dealing with you Bert, is a seller's dream! Unfortunately, there are many who regularly wishy washy by nature. They inquire, inquire some more, then can't pull the trigger.

Since I deal in so much one-of-a-kind items, when I decide to sell and someone passes I am on to the next buyer in line.

Also, like Nationals2K9's situation, he sells the ManRam bat probably to buy another so when you think it is sold, it gets complicated if he has committed to someone that he wants to buy from.

After a while you get a sense for what a buyer is all about and sometimes you see new tricks. I had a guy on my Michael Jordan artwork where I had several of the same so he started where he was buying 10 at $3,000 each which was a negotiated price about 50% off the retail price. He bought 1 immediately and paid. Never bought the other 9. As I told him, if I knew you were going to buy 1 piece I would not have given you that price. Interesting strategy by that buyer and he got me on that one!

This is a good thread because maybe sometimes buyers don't know what it is like on the other side for the seller.

Neely8
02-09-2010, 10:02 AM

Anyway, I get an email from someone asking about several players, including Malcom Jenkins and AJ Hawk where he tells me prices for a jersey and a helmet. I spend time reaching out to these players and find that I can get AJ Hawks Packers helmet for the price he gave. He then responds with an offer that is just over half of what he offered. Is there anything more frustrating when you take your own time to help collectors and they then try to low ball or not buy at all? I know I have been guilty of slow response time, but I would never offer to buy something for a price, then say know when someone went and got it. The reason for not paying the full amount? He may not get his investment back. So it wasn't
even for him. I also may be able to get a Jenkins jersey, but not for this person. Sheesh.

I feel your pain Jason. We have dealt several times in the past and you are a stand up guy. It's very unfortunate that there are some people out there who conduct themselves the way they do. A little common courtesy and communication goes a long way in this hobby but some guys just don't get it. It's funny though, when they get called out on it on the Forum they have no problem vigorously trying to defend themselves. That's laughable when a simple email would have eliminated all that in the first place. I think people need to start being held accountable for their actions and then maybe some would think twice before jerking someone around or wasting someones time. The bottom line is treat others how you would like to be treated but unfortunately that happens all too infrequently around here.

skipcarayislegend
02-09-2010, 11:04 AM
It's funny though, when they get called out on it on the Forum they have no problem vigorously trying to defend themselves.

That’s called quality entertainment!

This thread has been viewed over 400 times. I wonder how many people recognize themselves as the “buyers.”

geoff
02-09-2010, 11:38 AM
This has happened to me at least several times And I am just sick And tired of it all.If you are interested And say you are going to Buy A Item from me And then never get back to me its just plain wrong in my Book.

Nice Thread also And I am Glad I am not The only one this has happened to as well.even though I don't wish something like this on anyone on here.

Thanks
Geoff

CollectGU
02-19-2010, 08:58 AM

Is this AJ Hawk helmet the same helmet that was posted as being a bad fake in helmets thread? I would be interested in hearing the details of this transaction and who gave you the helmet? What is it AJ himself?

Thanks,
Dave