PDA

View Full Version : Getting Tape And Glue Off Jersey...???

BO34
02-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Hey guys, quick question just obtained a game used jersey that was in a frame. The glass on the frame is broken so I am attempting to get the jersey out of frame and use a clear jersey case.

My problem is it looks like jersey has sticky tape on back to keep it up on frame and maybe a staple or two...any idea how one gets sticky glue/tape off back of jersey...It's a game used White Sox jersey 1993...

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Neely8
02-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Goo Gone usually works pretty well on tape residue and other sticky substances.

BO34
02-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Awesome I will give that a try, do you use a qtip or toothbrush to apply it?

Neely8
02-05-2010, 09:41 PM
It is a citrus based cleaner and comes in a squirt bottle. I'd imagine a soft toothbrush would work pretty good.

TriplexXxSports
02-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Awesome I will give that a try, do you use a qtip or toothbrush to apply it?

Be very careful with that Goo Gone! It will leave an oily residue, and if its a white jersey it will show for sure.

GOOF OFF will work. That is like a thinner and will evaporate without leaving the residue behind. Use a q-tip and only rub the area with the tape residue on it. Don't soak the jersey with it, it is pretty harsh stuff so the less you use the better.

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 09:49 PM
[quote=TriplexXxSports;185896]Be very careful with that Goo Gone! It will leave an oily residue, and ...... it will smell like Orange Glow...

Someone (from a sewing athletic jersey store) told me to tried rubbing the ice cube on it until it harden and then slowly peeled it off ... only work with jersey or hat...

Never tried it since I dont want to have the jersey dried clean and messed up the signature.

Let me know if it works...

TriplexXxSports
02-05-2010, 09:55 PM
You just need to be very careful using anything that soaks into the fabric. Once the liquid gets into the fabric, there is no real way to get it out with washing it.

If you use an alcohol based product (goof off, rubbing alcohol, etc) the liquid that enters the fabric will evaporate.

Ice would work since it is just pure water, but I cannot speak from experience on that one.

I used goof off on a white twill number to remove residue from a hologram that was damaged. Work like a charm, and there is not one bit of evidence that the hologram, or the goof off ever existed on the white number.

Neely8
02-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Be very careful with that Goo Gone! It will leave an oily residue, and if its a white jersey it will show for sure.

I was under the impression he was going to try to remove the residue and then wash the jersey. I don't think Goo Gone will stain if the jersey is subsequently washed. I heard Goof Off is good for removing autographs so it may work on tape residue too. I have never used it.

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 10:02 PM
I was under the impression he was going to try to remove the residue and then wash the jersey. I don't think Goo Gone will stain if the jersey is subsequently washed. I heard Goof Off is good for removing autographs so it may work on tape residue too. I have never used it.

Would it work on signed baseballs - with permanent marker or point pen?

Got some regretable signatures on some commemorative baseballs ....

TriplexXxSports
02-05-2010, 10:04 PM

If the jersey is going to be washed, then yes, either will work. I've used that goo gone stuff on the stickers you get on new NFL shirts and it would always leave a mark where I used it. After I washed it it was fine.

That's why I suggested something alcohol based. That way it won't have to be laundered since the liquid used to remove the tape residue will just evaporate.

Neely8
02-05-2010, 10:06 PM

I'd say Goo Gone would probably leave a stain if used on a baseball.

TriplexXxSports
02-05-2010, 10:07 PM

I would not recommend GOOF OFF for removing sigs on a baseball. The general properties of the hide used in baseballs allow the ink to penetrate into the material. The amount of GOOF OFF you would have to use to get a clean look would just ruin the baseball.

I guess you could try it on a baseball you have laying next to your glove for catch and see how it works, but just don't go tearing off on a collectors item.

otismalibu
02-05-2010, 10:09 PM
There's also an extra stength Goo Gone, that is more like Goof Off. I've used that to remove glue residue along with Goof Off. Use outdoors. I washed the jersey not long after cleaning.

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 10:11 PM
I would not recommend GOOF OFF for removing sigs on a baseball. The general properties of the hide used in baseballs allow the ink to penetrate into the material. The amount of GOOF OFF you would have to use to get a clean look would just ruin the baseball.

I guess you could try it on a baseball you have laying next to your glove for catch and see how it works, but just don't go tearing off on a collectors item.

Thanks for infos.

Guess I can give the ball away to some kid who will appreciate the signed baseball. Hopefully, I dont have to explain who's who on the ball. :D

TriplexXxSports
02-05-2010, 10:12 PM
There's also an extra stength Goo Gone, that is more like Goof Off. I've used that to remove glue residue along with Goof Off. Use outdoors. I washed the jersey not long after cleaning.

Potent stuff ain't it?! LOL. I get 'the look' from the wife every time I use that stuff in the house.

Great Point - USE OUTDOORS!

otismalibu
02-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Potent stuff ain't it?! LOL. I get 'the look' from the wife every time I use that stuff in the house.

Great Point - USE OUTDOORS!

Yeah, a little strong. I just leave the jersey on the garage for an hour or so and the smell is pretty much gone.

I've recycled a few white Steelers retail jerseys and the numbers leave a black shadow. Takes a little work, but this stuff will clean them up. Have also removed NOB residue that was decades old.

BO34
02-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks Gang, since this is a Game used jersey I am not going to wash it since it shows good use, the jersey is black, sox 1993 the glue/tape remains is on the back of the jersey....probably wil try alcohol and if doesn't work go with goof off

platinum1
02-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks Gang, since this is a Game used jersey I am not going to wash it since it shows good use, the jersey is black, sox 1993 the glue/tape remains is on the back of the jersey....probably wil try alcohol and if doesn't work go with goof off
Can you post some pictures of the jersey?
PLEEEEEASE!! :D

BO34
02-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Sure will post some pics once I get jersey off of frame and into a clear jersey display...came from a white sox front office guy with a letter from the team...

Thanks guy for all the help now to tackle the jersey!

Steeler4Life
02-06-2010, 04:36 PM
I use Wallstars out of Broken Arrow, OK for framing jerseys. They do not use glue or sew anything on your jersey. If you ever wanted to remove your jersey simply take it out and thats, that.

Great people. Website is www.wallstars.com (http://www.wallstars.com)
Tell them Eric from the Chicago shows says hi if you go with them.

platinum1
02-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Sure will post some pics once I get jersey off of frame and into a clear jersey display...came from a white sox front office guy with a letter from the team...

Thanks guy for all the help now to tackle the jersey!
By any chance is it a Bo Jackson jersey?

BO34
02-11-2010, 09:22 PM
HEY PEOPLE, wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions...after carefully trying ice then alcohol then goof off I can tell you goof off did work..I tried it on some tape inside the jersey, but then my wife suggested a lint brush the kind with a sticky surface..that worked GREAT!

Was able to get all the tape off without washing jersey!

Now I am attempting to purchase a mannequin to proudly display the jersey, matching pants batting gloves and game used bat....

This should be the easy part......thanks again and I might add this board is great in helping out all us Game Used collectors with issues like the one I had!

TriplexXxSports
02-11-2010, 09:30 PM
HEY PEOPLE, wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions...after carefully trying ice then alcohol then goof off I can tell you goof off did work..I tried it on some tape inside the jersey, but then my wife suggested a lint brush the kind with a sticky surface..that worked GREAT!

Was able to get all the tape off without washing jersey!

Now I am attempting to purchase a mannequin to proudly display the jersey, matching pants batting gloves and game used bat....

This should be the easy part......thanks again and I might add this board is great in helping out all us Game Used collectors with issues like the one I had!

Glad it all worked out, my man. Now - where are those pics you promised? :D

jays78
02-11-2010, 09:44 PM
If you put goof off on it, I'd think you really should wash the jersey, that stuff is pretty intense, I use it at work to take label residue off of display racks/beams at it often takes some of the paint off too!!.....I'd be worried that the areas that have the goof off on it will dis-color over time, or may even affect the polyester, if it came in a metal can rather than plastic, I'd be especially worried

BO34
02-11-2010, 09:47 PM
No problem I was going to post the pics after get the mannequin, but give me till this weekend to send some shots...its a BO JACKSON 93 BLACK WHITE SOX jersey with team letter...