PDA

View Full Version : MLB Authenticated... confusion...

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 10:15 AM
This is a DOUBLE HEADER games, how do you know which game this ball is used in?

There are many other examples also, my coworker happened to own this ball and he was just as lost.

One win and one loss so now what?...

(If it was up to me, I would check the stats of the game and see what is the best significant stat and I will try to get the ball sign by that player and leave it as is)

Your take on this mess....

Or better yet, this is one department MLB Authenticators need to do a better job.

Hologram number LH136935 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
Session Product Description:

Session Name: TOR AT BOS
Session Date: September 13, 2008
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.

joelsabi
02-05-2010, 10:44 AM
This is a DOUBLE HEADER games, how do you know which game this ball is used in?

There are many other examples also, my coworker happened to own this ball and he was just as lost.

One win and one loss so now what?...

(If it was up to me, I would check the stats of the game and see what is the best significant stat and I will try to get the ball sign by that player and leave it as is)

Your take on this mess....

Or better yet, this is one department MLB Authenticators need to do a better job.

Hologram number LH136935 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
Session Product Description:

Session Date: September 13, 2008
Autographer:

was your buddy at the game?
there were three broken bats authenticated that day (jason bay, alex cora and big papi)

if so what game? if you knew all three bats were cracked in the first game then you may be able to reason baseballs came from the first game.

TNTtoys
02-05-2010, 10:54 AM
I have seen cases where items from a double-header are marked as follows:

(for example, assume the teams that played are NY and BOS)

Game 1 items in the MLB database appear as:

Game 2 items in the MLB database appear as:
Session Name: TOR AT BOS Game 2

I will try to find an example of this when I have some time.

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Since my buddy is a RED SOX fan, he convinced everyone who would listen.... it is from the second game .. which boston wins!

(another ding in MLB authentication programs - a much better noting on the baseballs would be appreciate by game used collectors)

Say what if the game Jeter brokes the most hit record as a Yankees, is a double header, and they have the same lousy authentication, would you still purchase the baseballs if the opportunity present itself?

I would, just for the heck of it!

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 10:59 AM
I have seen cases where items from a double-header are marked as follows:

(for example, assume the teams that played are NY and BOS)

Game 1 items in the MLB database appear as:

Game 2 items in the MLB database appear as:
Session Name: TOR AT BOS Game 2

I will try to find an example of this when I have some time.

I wish it was that simple. And oh, it also has STEINER letter and guess what?

No notation any where ---- stating which game the ball was used in.

joelsabi
02-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Since my buddy is a RED SOX fan, he convinced everyone who would listen.... it is from the second game .. which boston wins!

(another ding in MLB authentication programs - a much better noting on the baseballs would be appreciate by game used collectors)

Say what if the game Jeter brokes the most hit record as a Yankees, is a double header, and they have the same lousy authentication, would you still purchase the baseballs if the opportunity present itself?

I would, just for the heck of it!

Yankees.stubs,

Special Milestones have more descriptive Game description.

Hologram number BB566969 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under BALLS.
Session Product Description: GAME USED BALL
Game: ALEX RODRIGUEZ 500TH CAREER HOMERUN GAMESession Name: KANSAS CITY ROYALS @ NEW YORK YANKEES
Session Date: August 04, 2007
Autographer:

Whats your first name btw?

Regards

Joel

TNTtoys
02-05-2010, 11:18 AM
I wish it was that simple. And oh, it also has STEINER letter and guess what?

No notation any where ---- stating which game the ball was used in.

Guess it's not consistent. I have MLB bases that not only indicate what game they were played in, but even state finer detail like "innings 4-6."

Tonight, I will try to post examples of what I am talking about.

Unfortunately, this will not apply for every situation, as a different authenticator may have entered the information into the system differently (ala the old adige "garbage in, garbage out").

TNTtoys
02-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I've started looking into this. Here is 1 concrete example similar to what I mentioned earlier:

Game: Mets double-header vs. Washington on 7/28/2007

Steiner Sports has 2 bases from this game currently for sale on their website. Here are the URLs to both items:
http://www.steinersports.com/nationals-at-mets-7-28-2007-game-used-first-base
http://www.steinersports.com/nationals-at-mets-7-28-2007-game-used-second-base

Item #1 is listed as a Nationals-Mets Game Used Base
Item #2 is listed as a Nationals-Mets Game Used Base (Game 1)

This may be 1 of 2 things...
If it doesn't implicitly say "Game 1" it's Game 2
or the autenticator gave an incomplete description for the first item.

More to come later...

TNTtoys
02-05-2010, 12:26 PM
An example of a different format...

Game: Yankees double-header vs. Rays on 9/7/2009

Steiner Sports has 2 bases from this game currently for sale on their website. Here are the URLs to both items:

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=110645742&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=110992452
http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=110644822&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=110991532

Item #1 is listed as a Rays-Yankees Game Used Ball (Game 1)
Item #2 is listed as a Rays-Yankees Game Used Ball (Game 2)

This may lean towards the theory that any item from a double-header can be from either/or game of that doubleheader.