PDA

View Full Version : If you catch a significant HR or even a ground-rule double, would you...

yankees.stub
02-04-2010, 07:35 PM
1. ... give it back to the rightful owner

because it was his to start with. He EARNED it! OR
in exchange for whatever signed stuff he think it worth OR
demand what you want in exchange for the baseballor
2. ... Hold onto to it and put it on auction and hope to get highest amount

or
3. ... Give it to the Hall Of Fame Museum since it belongs there.

Would love to see the responses from this forum.....

yankees.stub
02-04-2010, 07:43 PM
.... If I catch Alex 600th HR ball ... or Jeter's 3000th Ground rule double hit ...

Personally, I would give them a chance to give me what they think it worth. Most likely, it will be a random game used bat signed or a couple baseballs or even a jersey here and there.

But most likely, being a fan and all, I would want the following in exchange for the baseball:

1. Either the bat he used or the jersey off his back - this would means I am part of the history.

or
2. Some random game used bat along with jersey and his fielding glove - SIGNED .... AND season ticket for two for the next five years ... and I will get a signed game used ball from him whenever I am attending the game - preferred the third out ball from any inning!

As for holding out for a highest bidder - that comes with too many baggages so I would rather not go this route.

As for giving it to the Hall Of Fame Museum ... heck no, they got so much stuff already. What another ball on display will do! Sorry!

sox83cubs84
02-04-2010, 11:30 PM
For player I like or Cubs/White Sox player: Work out a trade for GU equipment

For player I don't like (A-Rod, Giambi, Stairs, Redding, Pujols, etc.) : Call Huggins & Scott

Dave M.
Chicago area

yankees.stub
02-04-2010, 11:32 PM
For player I like or Cubs/White Sox player: Work out a trade for GU equipment

For player I don't like (A-Rod, Giambi, Stairs, Redding, Pujols, etc.) : Call Huggins & Scott

Dave M.
Chicago area

LOL

Call me please if you get Yankees related HR balls.

Want some White Sox HR balls? I think I got some in the basement .. some where...

ballhawknet
02-05-2010, 03:14 AM
A players first major league home run is his , he earned it. Ive caught
3 and each one has a great story IMO. You can read the short versions
at the bottom if you wish. I love telling them :)

A milestone hr , be it a 300-400-500 whatever...belongs to the fan who
caught it. And I could go on and on about how rude some of the ballpark
personnel are when attempting to get these balls back ! Usually ending with the fan giving in to the " assult " or , when its clear the fan wants the ball , they point out how worthless the ball is once they leave the park. :p

Just this year a player wanted a ball back from me , and I asked for one of
two things . 1. Batting practice on the field ...( dont laugh Ive done it before :) or 2. A donation in his name to my favorite charity ( $ amount of HIS chosing ) He declined both .

And lastly , rarely do teams offer fair compensation. I mean to offer another ball or even a signed ball is weak. At least a bat or Jersey or
tickets ...but most of the time they offer a ball. Im sorry but if the average fan catches a ball worth hundreds or sometimes thousands why would you trade it or another ball ? But some do . And as long as they are happy with it thats ok by me. But how many that returned balls during the home run chase of 98 felt stupid in the days that followed. Quite a few . Of course now those balls are just paper weights.....Ive got a few you want any ...lol

FIRST CAREER HR STORIES

DOUG GLANVILLE - I went into the park to give it back to him...waited
for about a half hour ...never came out. Turns out he went out another way . I went back to Waveland Avenue and there he was sitting in my
lawn chair. Handed him the ball , mummbled something about me wanting batting practice on the field :)....shook his hand and he headed down the street to his apartment a few blocks away flipping the ball in the air as he walked.

HUMBERTO COTA - (who ? ..lol )
Late inning hr onto Waveland , I had never even heard of him at the time. Heck , I didnt even know who was batting ...see ball catch ball.
No one comes out from the team...later that night I see it was in fact his first HR. So now they are out of town , gone. I look at the schedule , the Pirates are in New York. So I time it just right....end of Pirates bp....and call the stadium . "Visiting clubhouse please" ...whos calling ? "Dave from Chicago" hold on ... I ask for him...not even knowing if he speaks english...and they put him on the phone . I tell him " you dont know me....but your going to remember me for the rest of your life. Ive got the ball ! ". He was VERY excited ! 3 times he missed the next series in Chicago due to DL... but eventually I got it to him .

Bill Hall

Down something like 17-2 he gets his first major league hit...a bomb to
Waveland. Dan the traveling sec. comes out ..asks what I want for the ball....I say.....( you know it ) batting practice with the team.! He laughs
says it aint gonna happen . I tell him Ill go into the game and give it back to him tommorow. He walks away saying nothing. I go in , talk to Bill and turns out he allready has his ball. ? wtf ? Yep , he was given a different ball by the #!$!% head traveling sec. Dan . So now I have his first major league hit ball, and he has something else on his mantle

thats it , its late and I cant wait for spring training :)

legaleagle92481
02-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Some guys don't want it back like Bonds said during the Aaron chase that he wanted the fan who caught it to keep it. If the guy wanted it I would ask for a bat and jersey from the best player on the team and another ball used in the game signed by the whole team. I would not sell it so I think it would be fair for the player to trade such stuff for it.

CardinalsFan
02-05-2010, 06:56 PM
It is too hard for me to imagine. When I lived in the St Louis area, I never came close to a HR ball during an actual game. :( If I was fortunate enough to get that lucky, I would probably faint and have it taken from me before I had a chance to decide what to do. :o

joelsabi
02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
A players first major league home run is his , he earned it. Ive caught
3 and each one has a great story IMO. You can read the short versions
at the bottom if you wish. I love telling them :)

A milestone hr , be it a 300-400-500 whatever...belongs to the fan who
caught it. And I could go on and on about how rude some of the ballpark
personnel are when attempting to get these balls back ! Usually ending with the fan giving in to the " assult " or , when its clear the fan wants the ball , they point out how worthless the ball is once they leave the park. :p

Just this year a player wanted a ball back from me , and I asked for one of
two things . 1. Batting practice on the field ...( dont laugh Ive done it before :) or 2. A donation in his name to my favorite charity ( $ amount of HIS chosing ) He declined both .

And lastly , rarely do teams offer fair compensation. I mean to offer another ball or even a signed ball is weak. At least a bat or Jersey or
tickets ...but most of the time they offer a ball. Im sorry but if the average fan catches a ball worth hundreds or sometimes thousands why would you trade it or another ball ? But some do . And as long as they are happy with it thats ok by me. But how many that returned balls during the home run chase of 98 felt stupid in the days that followed. Quite a few . Of course now those balls are just paper weights.....Ive got a few you want any ...lol

FIRST CAREER HR STORIES

DOUG GLANVILLE - I went into the park to give it back to him...waited
for about a half hour ...never came out. Turns out he went out another way . I went back to Waveland Avenue and there he was sitting in my
lawn chair. Handed him the ball , mummbled something about me wanting batting practice on the field :)....shook his hand and he headed down the street to his apartment a few blocks away flipping the ball in the air as he walked.

HUMBERTO COTA - (who ? ..lol )
Late inning hr onto Waveland , I had never even heard of him at the time. Heck , I didnt even know who was batting ...see ball catch ball.
No one comes out from the team...later that night I see it was in fact his first HR. So now they are out of town , gone. I look at the schedule , the Pirates are in New York. So I time it just right....end of Pirates bp....and call the stadium . "Visiting clubhouse please" ...whos calling ? "Dave from Chicago" hold on ... I ask for him...not even knowing if he speaks english...and they put him on the phone . I tell him " you dont know me....but your going to remember me for the rest of your life. Ive got the ball ! ". He was VERY excited ! 3 times he missed the next series in Chicago due to DL... but eventually I got it to him .

Bill Hall

Down something like 17-2 he gets his first major league hit...a bomb to
Waveland. Dan the traveling sec. comes out ..asks what I want for the ball....I say.....( you know it ) batting practice with the team.! He laughs
says it aint gonna happen . I tell him Ill go into the game and give it back to him tommorow. He walks away saying nothing. I go in , talk to Bill and turns out he allready has his ball. ? wtf ? Yep , he was given a different ball by the #!$!% head traveling sec. Dan . So now I have his first major league hit ball, and he has something else on his mantle

thats it , its late and I cant wait for spring training :)

great stories. thanks for sharing.

so did you just go along with Bill when he said he received the his first hit ball?

sox83cubs84
02-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Ballhawknet's remarks about obnoxious and nasty security and team personnel are right on the money. I've seen a few examples myself, such as a summer day at Old Comiskey Park in 1982. Scott Fletcher hit his first MLB HR, and I dashed to where it landed and found the guy who caught it. Unfortunately, the ball he had was a brand new one, and he said that Sox Security guards told him he HAD to give it back..that new ball was his consolation prize, apparentlly.

Too often the team will either convince you that the ball has no worth (as Dave D. alluded to) when you leave the park, or security types will try to intimidate fans into giving it up, which fans usually fall for because either the intimidation works, or else they're too caught up in the moment to reason their options out fully (as Suicide Squeeze mentioned many months ago).

Either way, if you're ever lucky enough to be in this situation (which, out of the 13 HRs I've snagged, I haven't), keep your wits about you and don't let pushy security guards or nearby fans make your decision for you.

Dave M.
Chicago area

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Ballhawknet's remarks about obnoxious and nasty security and team personnel are right on the money. I've seen a few examples myself, such as a summer day at Old Comiskey Park in 1982. Scott Fletcher hit his first MLB HR, and I dashed to where it landed and found the guy who caught it. Unfortunately, the ball he had was a brand new one, and he said that Sox Security guards told him he HAD to give it back..that new ball was his consolation prize, apparentlly.

Too often the team will either convince you that the ball has no worth (as Dave D. alluded to) when you leave the park, or security types will try to intimidate fans into giving it up, which fans usually fall for because either the intimidation works, or else they're too caught up in the moment to reason their options out fully (as Suicide Squeeze mentioned many months ago).

Either way, if you're ever lucky enough to be in this situation (which, out of the 13 HRs I've snagged, I haven't), keep your wits about you and don't let pushy security guards or nearby fans make your decision for you.

Dave M.
Chicago area

I caught about 15-20 HR balls at the old Yankee Stadium. NO SECURITY personel has come and asked for the ball. But they did come down to where I was and "advised" me to keep the ball and DO NOT throw it back - since the HR ball was from the opposite team.

And the quote I do remembered - If I threw the ball back onto the field, that is an automatically EJECTION. And if they witness where the ball landed - if it is within 10 feet from a player, I will be charged with ATTEMPTED ASSAULT... now that $hit scared me!

So I kept all of my baseballs - I may have given one or two away if it happened to be duplicated player (i. e. Gary Sheffield -- got like 4 HR balls from him total)

I would never hand over any ball if they requested. Hell to the NO! If I happened to reach over the fence and interfere with the ball in play... I will take the ejection and kept the ball. Did that once - against the other team (instead of 2-run score with man on 3rd - tied score with two outs. With fan interference, it became ground rule doubles with man on 2nd and 3rd - Yankees wining by a run with two outs).

At least with the ejection, I kept the baseball and got a decent ovation.

It worth the price of the admission!

godwulf
02-06-2010, 11:30 AM
At Chase Field, in Phoenix, if you catch a HR ball hit by one of the Diamondbacks, somebody comes down and asks if you would like it signed by the hitter...and if you elect to do so, they will tag and bag the ball, take your personal information, and the ball gets mailed to you. Of course, you're free to opt out.

Other team HR balls, you're on your own. Unfortunately, the Chicago practice of throwing those balls back onto the field has found it's way here, and you do see idiots who will do that or encourage others to do so.

Even if I didn't care about keeping a HR ball hit by an opponent, I would look around and find a kid wearing that team's jersey and make him a present of it, rather than throw it back. Of course, if it were a big other-team star player, some HoF lock, I'd probably want to keep it anyway, just for the heck of it. Maybe list it in the C-to-C forum. :rolleyes:

Historic or milestone balls, the DBacks management will set up a meet between you and the player to discuss a trade.

What I'd ask for in a situation like that would depend entirely on the player, and the nature of the milestone...but generally speaking, a nice game-used bat and a jersey would be my goal.

legaleagle92481
02-06-2010, 11:37 AM
It is too hard for me to imagine. When I lived in the St Louis area, I never came close to a HR ball during an actual game. :( If I was fortunate enough to get that lucky, I would probably faint and have it taken from me before I had a chance to decide what to do. :o

Balls are so hard to catch in a crowded stadium I have been to alot of games and never come close to catching anything. The closest I got was last summer Gary Sheffield hit a ball that bounced off the seat two seats to my left and into the hands of the teenager sitting behind that seat. Other than that nada.

ballhawknet
02-06-2010, 02:02 PM
so did you just go along with Bill when he said he received the his first hit ball?

Actually Dave M . saw him first , I dont know what exactly was said between them , but Dave M. came outside and told me Bill had the ball allready . lol. When I did see Hall yes I told him that I had the ball
and someone lied to him :). I guess I could have just given it to him
then but I thought heck , if he doesnt believe me ( which I really
dont think he does ) whats point in giving it to him . Ive seen him 5-6
times since then in other parks and he rarely says anything when I
say hello other than " Did you bring my ball ? " :) .So maybe he does
believe me maybe he doesnt. He's got my number ....lol .

Genke
02-06-2010, 03:24 PM
1. ... give it back to the rightful owner

because it was his to start with. He EARNED it! OR
in exchange for whatever signed stuff he think it worth OR
demand what you want in exchange for the baseballor
2. ... Hold onto to it and put it on auction and hope to get highest amount

or
3. ... Give it to the Hall Of Fame Museum since it belongs there.

Would love to see the responses from this forum.....

Give it back to the rightful owner is, of course, just your opinion, because the rightful owner is the one who ends up with it under proper circumstances (didn't plow through a young kid to catch it, didn't wrestle someone to the ground and overtake the ball from their clenched fist, etc.)

What "belongs" in the Hall of Fame is also just an opinion. The Hall Of Fame is largely the recipient of "gifts", and mainly from the actual players and teams in MLB.

You seem to be a very active new member. What is the obsession on these posts you are making? They seem to go all over the place. What is behind all of this?

Genke
02-06-2010, 03:34 PM

Dave M.
Chicago area

Highlighted above, this is the best advice a baseball fan could receive on this subject matter. Live by it.

schubert1970
02-06-2010, 04:12 PM
So I kept all of my baseballs - I may have given one or two away if it happened to be duplicated player (i. e. Gary Sheffield -- got like 4 HR balls from him total)

Just curious, what dates are your Sheff HR balls from?

Genke
02-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Just curious, what dates are your Sheff HR balls from?

Waiting.......I'd like to know too.................................

Genke
02-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I caught about 15-20 HR balls at the old Yankee Stadium. NO SECURITY personel has come and asked for the ball. But they did come down to where I was and "advised" me to keep the ball and DO NOT throw it back - since the HR ball was from the opposite team.

Please excuse me if I am interpreting your story incorrectly, but your butchered english makes it very difficult to understand.

Are you saying that you have caught 15-20 home run balls over the years, and they were ALL visitor-hit home runs?

That's some kind of unlucky-lucky ball hawking there, guy?

thomecollector
02-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Ever get a Thome HR ?

sox83cubs84
02-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Are you saying that you have caught 15-20 home run balls over the years, and they were ALL visitor-hit home runs?

That's some kind of unlucky-lucky ball hawking there, guy?[/quote]

Actually, my Wrigley Field home runs (6 total) fall a similar category. The first (Andre Dawson #396) is the only Cubs homer. The other five were all from the "bad guys" (Biggio, Bret Boone, Charles Johnson, Derek Bell, Bichette). I threw NOTHING back...not even a dummy ball. After the Bichette, though, one of the other guys on Waveland Ave. (I can't recall who) got nervous about being whaled on by bleacher drunks, so a dummy ball was thrown back on my behalf).

Dave M.
Chicgo area

yankees.stub
02-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Please excuse me if I am interpreting your story incorrectly, but your butchered english makes it very difficult to understand.

:D :D :D

Dude.. there is a BUT.. in my sentence no?

The only time security comes down - that is when I get the visitors' HR ball.

They would not think that I am that dumb to toss back Yankees' HR balls so no warning is necessary.

:D

As for the Sheff's HRs.... I will try to find them in the boxes ... got them in cubes along with the tickets... so I should be good with the dates and so forth. I tagged all the HR balls with the tickets - on some of them, I have DVD of the games, while others it's all hearsay unless you where there, and some I have security supervisor contacts - just in case I am looking to sell them.

I dont sell my stuff ... if anything ... I trade and that's it!

I buy = I collect then I might sell
I caught = I keep and I might trade later (no sell)

:D :D :D

joelsabi
02-06-2010, 09:14 PM

Actually Dave M . saw him first , I dont know what exactly was said between them , but Dave M. came outside and told me Bill had the ball allready . lol. When I did see Hall yes I told him that I had the ball
and someone lied to him :). I guess I could have just given it to him
then but I thought heck , if he doesnt believe me ( which I really
dont think he does ) whats point in giving it to him . Ive seen him 5-6
times since then in other parks and he rarely says anything when I
say hello other than " Did you bring my ball ? " :) .So maybe he does
believe me maybe he doesnt. He's got my number ....lol .

ballhawk, I think keeps on giving you that question because he knows its his baseball and is wondering if all the other cherished baseballs retrieved by the traveling secretary are a sham too. give him the ball so he knows he has at least one real milestone item in his collection.

thanks on the followup. appreciate it.

Genke
02-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Actually, my Wrigley Field home runs (6 total) fall a similar category. The first (Andre Dawson #396) is the only Cubs homer. The other five were all from the "bad guys" (Biggio, Bret Boone, Charles Johnson, Derek Bell, Bichette). I threw NOTHING back...not even a dummy ball. After the Bichette, though, one of the other guys on Waveland Ave. (I can't recall who) got nervous about being whaled on by bleacher drunks, so a dummy ball was thrown back on my behalf).

Dave M.
Chicgo area[/quote]

Is that your Andre Dawson on ebay right now?

yankees.stub
02-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Got a couple emails from my friends with Phillies and Mariners season tickets - they have a program for Fan-caught HR ball and it's FREE of charge.

You can pick up the ball after it being authenticated or they can send it to you at your address.

Damn it, why cant the yankees do this? I am willing to pay (up $50 max).

sox83cubs84
02-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Is that your Andre Dawson on ebay right now?[/quote]

No, one is a home run a Cincinnati dealer acquired from the Reds 580 Gift Shop. The other is a signed BP Andre Dawson home run from Ballhawk.net.

Dave M.
Chicago area

CampWest
09-29-2010, 10:47 AM
<DIV id=article_body sizset="110" sizcache="141">
Kind of cool story about a first career HR ball naking its way back to the player.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100928&content_id=15183040&vkey=news_kc&c_id=kc

KANSAS CITY -- Twins center fielder Denard Span doesn't know Kansas City's rookie center fielder Jarrod Dyson. But the ties that bind all players within the Major League Baseball fraternity run deep and that's why Span took it on himself to help Dyson get the baseball back after Dyson launched his first career Major League homer on Monday night.
In the second inning, Dyson drove a 3-1 pitch from Kevin Slowey over the wall in right-center. A fan wound up with the ball and Span implored the fan to send the ball back. With some nearby Royals bullpen members also urging the fan to take a return-to-sender approach, Dyson indeed wound up with his milestone baseball. "I never met Dyson, but I looked up at the numbers and saw that he didn't have a homer," Span said. "I assumed it was his first. I signaled to the fan to give me the ball back and explained to the fan what the significance was. The fan didn't object. Once I got the ball, I threw it into the [Royals'] bullpen."
var mediaCount, mediaContentId, mediaTopicId, mediaMeta; mediaCount = 2; mediaContentId = '12510163'; mediaTopicId = ''; mediaMeta = bam.media.getMetaData(mediaContentId); mediaMeta.headline = 'Dyson&#039;s first career homer'; mediaImage = '' || mediaMeta.imagesByType['13']; $(function(){ bam.loadSync("/shared/scripts/bam/bam.social.js"); new bam.social.Lib({ title : mediaMeta.headline, url : "http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=kc&content_id="+mediaContentId }).twitter("#article_media .twitter a", { via: 'royals', related: "mlb", tracking: {tcid: "tw_video_" + mediaContentId} }).facebook("#article_media .facebook a", { tracking: {tcid: "fb_video_" + mediaContentId} }).email("#article_media .share a", { type: "media", params: { content_id: mediaContentId } }) }) function loadKeywords(mediaMeta){ var display = ""; var value = ""; var param = ""; var keywordsHtml = ""; var searchParams = ""; var wsGameToTopicMap = { // map of game_pk to topic_id for World Series 09 game topics "263181":"7224330", "263182":"7223768", "263183":"7224332", "263184":"7223232", "263185":"7224002", "263186":"7224214", "263187":"7223770" }; $("#article_media_keywords").empty(); $.each(mediaMeta.keywords, function(i, keyword){ switch (keyword.getAttribute("type")){ case "mlbtax" : param = "mlbtax_key"; value = keyword.getAttribute("value"); display = keyword.getAttribute("displayName").replace(/\"/g,""); /* " */ break; case "team_id" : param = "team_id"; value = keyword.getAttribute("value"); display = keyword.getAttribute("displayName"); break; case "player_id" : param = "player_id"; value = keyword.getAttribute("value"); display = keyword.getAttribute("displayName"); break; case "game_pk" : param = "game_pk"; value = keyword.getAttribute("value"); display = "More From This Game"; break; } if (param!="") { if (param==="game_pk" && wsGameToTopicMap[value]){ // point to WS2009 games to topic pages keywordsHtml += ""+ display +" (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=), "; } else { keywordsHtml += ""+ display +" (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/search/media.jsp?), "; } if (param!="text") { searchParams += encodeURI("&"+param+"="+value); } } param = ""; }); if (keywordsHtml.length > 0){ $("#article_media_keywords").html('Tags: '+keywordsHtml.substring(0, keywordsHtml.length-2)); } if (mediaCount > 1) { loadSearchResults(); } else if (searchParams.length > 0) { loadSearchResults(searchParams,mediaContentId); } else { loadRelatedMedia('kc',3); } } function loadSearchResults() { $('Related Video

').appendTo('#article_media_related'); var relatedMediaItems = [ {} ,{ content_id : '12510163', topic_id : '', content_title : 'Dyson&#039;s first career homer', content_thumb : 'http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/2010/09/27/images/mlbf_12510163_th_7.jpg' } ,{ content_id : '12508675', topic_id : '', content_title : 'Dyson&#039;s running catch', content_thumb : 'http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/2010/09/27/images/mlbf_12508675_th_7.jpg' } ]; var relatedMediaItem, relatedMediaItemTopic; for(var r=2;r

CampWest
09-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Kind of cool story about a first career HR ball naking its way back to the player.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100928&content_id=15183040&vkey=news_kc&c_id=kc

KANSAS CITY -- Twins center fielder Denard Span doesn't know Kansas City's rookie center fielder Jarrod Dyson. But the ties that bind all players within the Major League Baseball fraternity run deep and that's why Span took it on himself to help Dyson get the baseball back after Dyson launched his first career Major League homer on Monday night.
In the second inning, Dyson drove a 3-1 pitch from Kevin Slowey over the wall in right-center. A fan wound up with the ball and Span implored the fan to send the ball back. With some nearby Royals bullpen members also urging the fan to take a return-to-sender approach, Dyson indeed wound up with his milestone baseball. "I never met Dyson, but I looked up at the numbers and saw that he didn't have a homer," Span said. "I assumed it was his first. I signaled to the fan to give me the ball back and explained to the fan what the significance was. The fan didn't object. Once I got the ball, I threw it into the [Royals'] bullpen."