PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT MESSAGE - Please Read!

ChrisCavalier
02-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to discuss some recent events on the forum as well as make a request. Recently, there have been a number of posts that were very negative in nature and contrary to the objectives of the forum. In fact, this morning we needed to lock a thread and suspend/ban two members for rule violations. One of the rules of the forum states:

It is expected that all posts are to be created with a sincere attempt to benefit the hobby. By participating in this forum, you agree to the responsibility of contributing to, and helping to maintain, a positive and constructive environment.

While we dislike having to ban anyone, we understand there is the overall benefit of the forum that needs to be considered and action needs to be taken when that benefit is affected.

This forum was truly created with the objective to help collectors and many people have benefited from the information that has been freely shared here. However, as in many public forums, there are many personalities and sometimes someone may forget the objective of the forum and their responsibilities when participating. It is unfortunate that the forum rules, which are intended to keep a positive environment, are not always followed.

That is where I will need to make a request that I should have made earlier. Recently, I have had some personal events come up that have prevented me from being able to monitor the boards on a regular basis. This presents a bit of a problem since, as the number of forum members increases, there appears to be a growing need to make sure the rules are followed, previously banned members don’t re-register under new names and IP addresses, and posts with a seemingly sole intent of disrupting the unity of the site are addressed immediately. Since I haven’t been able to act quickly in some of these instances, some situations have gone further than needed before being addressed. I understand that has caused some concerns among members and for that I sincerely apologize. I am at fault for not making this request earlier given my current circumstances.

At this point, I would like to see if there are members out there who would be interested in volunteering to help moderate the forum. The usage of the forum area is free, and the forum has truly helped change the hobby in a positive way for collectors. I believe everyone who has enjoyed the forum would really love for it to remain the asset it can be to collectors. In order to accomplish this objective, the forum needs a few good volunteers. While the forum has been moderated by excellent people in the past and their efforts have been tremendous, we now need fresh, new volunteers to keep that tradition going.

If you are interested in helping with the moderation of the forum, please send me an email at chris@gameuseduniverse.com (chris@gameuseduniverse.com) and include your phone number and why you are interested in the email. I will review the emails and contact people directly to discuss the specifics.

Thank you in advance for your responses and I look forward to working together to continue making this forum a great asset to the hobby.

allstarsplus
02-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Hello Everyone,

there appears to be a growing need to make sure the rules are followed, previously banned members don’t re-register under new names and IP addresses, and posts with a seemingly sole intent of disrupting the unity of the site are addressed immediately. Since I haven’t been able to act quickly in some of these instances, some situations have gone further than needed before being addressed.

Its hard to believe that the same people keep trying to get back on the Forum and get kicked off and then screw up so they get kicked off again. One guy has now been BANNED 4 times. Amazing.

Several have been BANNED 2 times.

Thoughts?

IP Addresses can be manipulated, so that isn't a full proof system. There has to be as Jeff Scott says, "A real name".

Kind of like the big auction houses do, give me 2 industry references and a credit card for the file. You can authorize the credit card but not charge it. That should solve the problem.

dcgreg25
02-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Andrew, I agree setting the bar a little higher as to real identities could be helpful. I also think that some of the issues can be dealt with by locking/deleting problematic threads more quickly. If it is not allowed to escalate, it likely takes much of the fun out of it for these people who lurk just to make personal attacks and/or cause problems.

kellsox
02-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Another suggestion is to either not allow OT threads (topics not relating to the GU hobby) or provide a section of the site for these conversations. There is a lot of junk to sift through to actually find a decent thread.
k

WadeInBmore
02-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Chris/Mods...

Is it possible for you to list the names (screen names) of the individuals that have been banned so that we (the collectors) don't "look" for them? Glad the issues are being addressed and/or atleast being discussed. I love coming to this site and participating in the hobby. Thank you.

wade

pietraynor
02-04-2010, 07:53 PM
I too would be in favor of doing away with "O/T" or off-topic threads..Jay.

earlywynnfan
02-04-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm all for making a separate folder for OT threads.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

frikativ54
02-04-2010, 08:56 PM
What happened? I have been gone all day, so I don't know what transpired. Someone needs to write a soap opera about this forum. The drama on here is unbelievable. Luckily, I have better things to do with my day than keeping current on who has been thrown off for what offense. I keep thinking that things can't be any worse, but then something new comes up.

-Frik

allstarsplus
02-05-2010, 08:06 AM

Ken

What happened? I have been gone all day, so I don't know what transpired. Someone needs to write a soap opera about this forum. The drama on here is unbelievable. Luckily, I have better things to do with my day than keeping current on who has been thrown off for what offense. I keep thinking that things can't be any worse, but then something new comes up.

-Frik To write about what transpired would only add to the drama. Besides, Steve Mears said he emailed you yesterday so if you read his email, you will have the drama through Steve's perspective.

See, the drama kings/queens need to take that type of stuff off of the Forum.

tbone90
02-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Boy, I'll second that motion Andrew!

allstarsplus
02-05-2010, 08:10 AM

Ken

I agree. The Mods can then take what they consider any OT to move from the Game Used Discussion category to an OT section.

That should really clean up the Forum and get the Birthday, RIPs, traded players, favorite teams, etc. into their own category.

TriplexXxSports
02-05-2010, 08:43 AM
I agree. The Mods can then take what they consider any OT to move from the Game Used Discussion category to an OT section.

That should really clean up the Forum and get the Birthday, RIPs, traded players, favorite teams, etc. into their own category.

There have been numerous posts about separating the forum by category. They have all had good, positive responses from the members but NOT ONE received any responses from the MODS. That is either a polite way of saying NO, or just a lack of interest in our opinions.

I could agree more about dividing the forum to 'clean up', but unfortunately it is ultimately the Mods decision and thus far has been ignored.

TriplexXxSports
02-05-2010, 08:50 AM
AND, by the way....

Chris, what ever happened to the handful of Mods/Admin you had previously?

Why are you the only one left?

joelsabi
02-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I thinks its various frustrations,

1) the tendency of many people to post thread that is not the best match for the game used discussion folder when alternate folders are there just because there is more visibilty in the game used discussion folder. For example, Topic: I need you opionion on Davey Lopes jersey and when you click into the post it's showing a ebay link.
2) the frustation with OT posts that has no best match folder and so people post on the game used discussioon folder. ie. happy birthday, contact me by email, missing people reports, etc.
3) the tendency of people whose first post(s) are negative and serve no purpose other than to break up a thread.
4) The inability of members to use the GUU search engine to find the answer to their simple question.

ChrisCavalier
02-05-2010, 01:28 PM
AND, by the way....

Chris, what ever happened to the handful of Mods/Admin you had previously?

Why are you the only one left?
I will answer this question and then, unfortunately, I will be locking this thread as it appears there are some who seem to resist trying to turn something positive into a negative. Specifically, there were a few posts that were removed from this thread which attempted to do just that.

The previous moderators have helped to assist the forum and have volunteered a lot of their time to help build something for collectors. They do not have the time to volunteer as they have previously. That is why we are asking if others are interested. Personally, I want to thank those who have helped since their efforts have helped create a great resource for collectors to use. While there will be some that will try to turn this into a negative, it is simply not the case. At this point, we will continue trying to allow the forum to be free for people to use and that is why we are currently seeking new energy to help assist in making that happen.

I hope that answers the question. If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact me directly.