PDA

View Full Version : Would you paid for an autograph or would you take chance to get it for FREE at the stadium or hotel or airport

yankees.stub
02-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Let's start with Alex Rodriguez - since he is the most sought after signature at the moment and getting his first WS ring help even more!

I paid for Alex signatures last week at Steiner show. I think it is money well spent since I dont think I be able to get Alex to sign my 500th HR tickets and a couple MLB authenticate balls - couple of them where actually foul tip balls. After everything signed, I get them authenticated by Steiner.

He was happy signing anything anyone put on the table along with the right paying ticket price - happen to hang out with couple friends after my stuffs were signed. After a while, his mood of signing became off a bit - rightfully so, since I know I will get annoy if people asking for pictures and so forth. (mind you, there were about 300-400 paying people on line and he only get to about 100 or so before things change).

Why did I paid for his signature? Simply because it is easier and more cost effective in my opinion. For me to get his signature on the field, I will need to spend more money - Field level tickets at the stadium cost in the average of $350-$600 each, and that just have access to field level seats - no guarantee that Alex will pop up from the dugout and signing FREE autograph.

(I saw a post earlier blaming Steiner for encourage these athletes to charges for signatures - I dont think that is fair at all. If fan (more like business person) want to increas the value of an item by having a signature on it and he/she willing to pay for the autograph - who are we going to blame?... The same can be said - how do we place a value on an item when it is the BUYER's choice to paid.)

joelsabi
02-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Let's start with Alex Rodriguez - since he is the most sought after signature at the moment and getting his first WS ring help even more!

I paid for Alex signatures last week at Steiner show. I think it is money well spent since I dont think I be able to get Alex to sign my 500th HR tickets and a couple MLB authenticate balls - couple of them where actually foul tip balls. After everything signed, I get them authenticated by Steiner.

He was happy signing anything anyone put on the table along with the right paying ticket price - happen to hang out with couple friends after my stuffs were signed. After a while, his mood of signing became off a bit - rightfully so, since I know I will get annoy if people asking for pictures and so forth. (mind you, there were about 300-400 paying people on line and he only get to about 100 or so before things change).

Why did I paid for his signature? Simply because it is easier and more cost effective in my opinion. For me to get his signature on the field, I will need to spend more money - Field level tickets at the stadium cost in the average of $350-$600 each, and that just have access to field level seats - no guarantee that Alex will pop up from the dugout and signing FREE autograph.

(I saw a post earlier blaming Steiner for encourage these athletes to charges for signatures - I dont think that is fair at all. If fan (more like business person) want to increas the value of an item by having a signature on it and he/she willing to pay for the autograph - who are we going to blame?... The same can be said - how do we place a value on an item when it is the BUYER's choice to paid.)

arod signature are really rushed in the stands as he tries to accommodate as many fans as possible. some i have seen on ebay of this sort look like chicken scratch.

i would rather pay at a signing and at a private signing instead of a public signing. as you said there is a chance that he can get annoyed at a public signing whether at the ballpark or a public signing.

yankees.stub
02-04-2010, 02:05 PM
You hit the nail on the head there buddy!

I was fortunate and unfornate when it comes to Alex signatures. To make the story short - if you were the first 100 people on line to get his PAID autograph, the signature will be the prettiest thing you ever seen (My best ranking for autograph will always will be ..... MARIANO RIVERA). I even got lucky enough when he signed his FULL name on the 500th HR ticket along with the notation Youngest to 500th HR.

Also got a game used ball for the game when he hits #583 - told him about the story of the baseball. Alex was nice enough to add the date on the ball also - which I think it was neat!

And if you ends up in the middle of the population and near the end - you will get less than chicken scratch. I have couple of balls with ARZ and if anyone have a look at it will tell you - there is no way that is Alex signature. Lucky for me, I have a picture of he signing it and the Steiner certificate for it so I am okay.

So from my worst to my best experiences of PAID autograph - you are entitle for what you paid for but dont expect it to be what you wanted.... UNLESS YOU GET THERE EARLY ENOUGH TO FALL INTO THE "MY SIGNATURE IS NICE ENOUGH TO READ AND BE RECOGNIZED" CATEGORY! If you are late at these signing event, you might as well prepare for chicken scratch!

joelsabi
02-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Also got a game used ball for the game when he hits #583 - told him about the story of the baseball. Alex was nice enough to add the date on the ball also - which I think it was neat!

As a ARod collector, I wouldn't mind hearing the story of the baseball. I like stories behind an item.

legaleagle92481
02-04-2010, 02:17 PM
If you get a free sig at a hotel or ballpark you cannot prove it is real. Even if you have a pic or video of the athlete signing you cannot prove that the item in question is the one in that pic or video unless you have a 1/1 item that could never be duplicated, which is seldom if ever the case. When you sell it the sale price will reflect this uncertainity. You also are likely to get a rushed signature that will be inferior to one from a paid signing and you may even get foreign substances on your item if the player's hands were not clean i.e. he had just been eating or had dirt from the field on his hand or had been reading the newspaper and had some print on his hand. You also may have to spend money to get access to the player i.e, buying game tickets in a certain area and you may wait awhile and the player may not sign so in the end you walk away with nothing. But on the other hand if you pay for a signature most living players have signed a ton so their stuff is not rare and you will have a hard time making your money back unless you buy before the player does something to spike his values. Guys like Arod are already so established and valuable that there is little he could do to create a big value spike. Personally, I have spent 1,000s of dollars on autographs and now that I am trying to sell my collection I am lucky to break even and in most cases have lost money or even worse lost so much that I cannot sell (I invested in some McGwire, Sosa and Bonds stuff and if I sold it I would probably lose 75% of my investment). Now I no longer buy autographs but collect for fun obtaining free in person signatures in New York City of athletes and celebrities and sometimes I walk away empty handed or wait awhile in the cold or get a rushed signature but it is exciting and only spent the cost of the item so I do not have to worry about my "investment".

yankees.stub
02-04-2010, 02:26 PM
To me, waiting to get something for nothing - which can result in some monetary or not --- is always an investment.

Collectible market is so fragile - it can go either way.

Not putting my morgages on Arod at the moment - but I have enough friends and strangers alike asking to get them stuff, I am spend some here and there.

One player I am willing to invest on - Mariano Rivera. I am still in search of the ower who got the bat he used in the world series when he collected his first RBI - by the way, the bat he used was CODY RANSOM!

kylehess10
02-04-2010, 04:15 PM
I wait 99% of the time. The only time I pay for a signature is if it's really cheap (like Andruw Jones who I met in December for $10).

For example, with my favorite player, Chipper Jones, I've met him 3 times before. Each time was free (through Fanfests & the Braves Caravan). He has signings in the area sometimes but I would never pay for his signature.

Bobby Cox is another good example. He signs for everyone when he arrives at the stadium 5-6 hours before gametime. I've met him numerous times and I'll be there at the stadium hours before the start of a game just to get a signature for free. It's worth it to me.

3arod13
02-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Can you post pics of what you got signed?

One thing I wish Arod would do is sign his full signature on his LOA's. Collectors pay a lot of money for this stuff and to sign LOA's with his AR signature, just isn't right.

Reards, Tony

flota89
02-04-2010, 05:17 PM
I get most of my autographs for free at stadiums or other places. To me, it means more that way and it more of an adventure. You can get 0 autographs or 30, so it is always a surprise. Also, when you pay for an autograph, there is no good story to go along with it besides the "I paid $$$ to have this ball signed." Now on the other hand, if you are getting a big/expensive item signed, I think it is better to pay for it to ensure that you get a better signature where you want it. Just my .02.

sox83cubs84
02-04-2010, 05:29 PM
There are benefits and risks of either approach...in A-Rod's case, I'd go without, as I can't afford to buy one and in-person, he always picks through the crowd and only signs for kids (see "Obnoxious kids/parents stories" thread.)

Although I do enjoy in-person signing at the ballpark or banquets/fanfests, it's almost impossible at Wrigley due to their Gestapo-like rules for people who don't buy the highest-priced tickets. Outside isn't helpful, either, as most of the local hounds outside are either dealers or collectors who place getting an autograph on the same level as performing brain surgery...many get-a-life types in this bunch.

Comiskey Park is enjoyable...nowehere near as restrictive, and the obnoxious Wrigley crowd stays away due to their level/ticket restrictions (you must buy a 100-level ticket to access the entire 100 (field) level)...more $$ than most of the Wrigley crowd will spend.

Dave M.
Chicago area

stlbats
02-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Just wondering, what was the Arod fees at the Steiner Show?

Jason

Lokee
02-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Man i remember waiting outside the old Kingdome. Back in the 90's it was alot easier to obtain auto's for free of your favorite player.

2 quick stories:

I waited for Mo Vaughn for about 2.5 hours at the Kingdome. I hung out got a few red sox but had my baseball all ready for big Mo. Finally he makes his grant departure and my parents, brothers and sister and maybe 3 other people where waiting. What a thrill, he stopped shook my hand signed my baseball and we talked for about 5 mins. I cannot remember anything. I still have the ball to this day.

One of my worst experiences was with Tim Wakefield. at the Kingdome he came walking out in the open about 40 mins after the game. There was about 20 to 25 people all pushing and shoving. He got upset real quick and said " if anyone gets sharpie on my shirt i am swinging" I don't blame the guy but threataning violence that's pretty messed up.

I would prefer to get them at the ballpark for free, especially if iam keeping them for my collection and not worried about re-sale.

I have paid for a handful of autographs from players like Guy Lafleur, the late Maurice Rocket Richard, Martin Brodeur, Hank Aaron and Ted Williams.

yankees.stub
02-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Can you post pics of what you got signed?

One thing I wish Arod would do is sign his full signature on his LOA's. Collectors pay a lot of money for this stuff and to sign LOA's with his AR signature, just isn't right.

Reards, Tony

Wow, I take that back. MVP certificates has the WORST Arod signature!

Hmm, I would do the same too if I was Alex since I have to sign it twice!

yankees.stub
02-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Just wondering, what was the Arod fees at the Steiner Show?

Jason

He did three shows with steiner so far.

The first and second, general signature is $300 each (this is when I got the ARZ signatures on two baseballs) and if you want equipment $400 (a game used bat from his seattle days - with ARZ) and if anything 500 HR related $450 (got the best tickets I had and I got ARZ also). So that was pretty bad but hey, at least he did not roll the baseballs down the table and so forth. I got a handshake and a thank you at the end!

The third show, the pricing stays the same except for $250 - general signature. After the first two bad experiences, I arrived an hour before the gate opens, get on Alex line (5th or 6th on line) and wait it out while juggling with Mariano and Pettitte stuff.

It worth the wait, Alex signed his full name on another 500th HR ticket I got along with YOUNGEST TO 500 and couple WS game used balls I got during the game (not bad after bribing some one to get couple foul balls down first baseline). Alex signed everything with a smile and a handshake at the end.

So again, I would doubt very much if he would signed any of my items if I had approached him at the stadium or hotel. Chances are he might ends up ruining them for me and I would curse up the storm.

murfsteve25
02-04-2010, 07:41 PM

When it comes to getting autographs to add to my collection, the only thing that matters to me would be getting it in person. I dont mind paying a few hundred bucks to get a tough signature. as long as its signed right i front of me.
I've been to hotels and stadiums and got autos from star players for free. Thats nice and all, but when your trying to get a superstar such as Arod, might as well pay to get the auto in person. Saves a lot of headache and worring that you may or may not get his auto.

Utopian2630
02-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Granted I've long since retired from getting autographs as a competitive sport unless its something i really need signed like a jersey or a band of importance is in town.

I agree with those who say they like the stories that goes along with the autographs. The chase is half the fun to be honest with you....I've probably posted a few stories here and there (like me getting cussed out and threatened by Terry Pendleton when I was 12 because I asked him to sign a cracked game-used bat ) but whatever, it was fun and collecting autographs as a kit kept me out of trouble so no harm.

I think its an entirely different situation these days as its more of a business and the fun is all but gone it seems. Think about it, back in the day, if I wanted someone like Ozzie Smith or Tony Gwynn (grew up in an NL town) I had to devote the entire homestand to try and get them.....if I was out of luck, I had to wait until the next homestand (or next season if they only visited here once). Now, if I were a kid collecting, I wouldnt have to worry because there'd be ebay....or a billion other websites available to fill my need.
However, because of the bigger pricetags associated with autographs these days, you have more 'pros' who have just soured the whole thing and make it an almost dangerous scenario in some cases. For example, do a youtube search of Paul McCartney signing autographs and you'll see many out of control frenzies where it looks like people are on the verge of coming to blows...not cool.

Anyway, I guess my long-winded take is that growing up before the big memorabelia/autograph boom spoiled me too much to spend a car payment for an autograph of a current athlete whose autograph can always be secured for a price.

Im sure as to what other veterain autograph collectors think of this.

Utopian2630
02-04-2010, 08:29 PM
[quote
Im sure as to what other veterain autograph collectors think of this.[/quote]

meant to say I am CURIOUS as to what other veteran autograph collectors think of this. Insanely long day at work for me today and I can barely think.

platinum1
02-04-2010, 08:46 PM
I will never ever pay for an autograph unless I really really need it.
I get the players at the ballpark or the hotel and living in Chicago you get
to see players from the NL and AL.
When I worked at the airport I would always have a couple of baseballs at work just in case someone would come through.
Especially when there was an autograph show in town. I would search for players and get them to sign when they got of the plain ;) .
I was able to get Tony Gwynn, Dave Winfield , Reggie Bush , Felix Pie, Mushin Muhamed, and some celebrities like Morgan Freeman, Michael Keaton and many more all at the airport for free.
And as far as authenticity I dont care.
I dont plan on selling any of my autographs and if one day I have grandchildren then they can have them and they could do what ever they want with them.

RJB44
02-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Has anyone ever got a real bad autograph and had the urge to say something (to the player)? Although I don't collect autographs, but I would think that if you are paying top dollar at a signing or have a real nice piece of equipment, that you expect a high quality signature. Suppose you have a nice bat or jersey, and the player, being an ass, just "scratches" something on it. I can only think that at professional signings, you might have some recourse through the sponsor. If at the at the park, hotel, or other "at the moment" situation, your pretty much at risk, meaning you get what you get. While looking through my collection of old programs, I happen to come across one for a 1982 Oakland A's game against the Red Sox and saw that it has Wade Bogg's autograph on the cover. The typical hastily written on field signature, but nevertheless its is Wade Boggs. I was interested in the just the program and paid like $4 for it on eBay a few years ago. No mention of the Boggs signature, maybe they didn't realize, heck I did 't even realize until just recently.

yankees.stub
02-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Just another point about the PAID autograph versus FREE autograph, if you are saying it doesnt matter and dont care about authenticity of the item AND re-selling the item has NEVER crossed your mind ... I think that is all but a joke!

You spend time and energy to get the FREE autograph, I hope you dont end up with a no-namer or bench warmer.. now that would be really waste of time.

If you spend money on an autograph (like myself), reselling the item does cross my mind. But I would like to enjoy it for a bit and just to make sure that it is liquidate-able in case of emergency.

So spend money = make money, Free money = ...?

platinum1
02-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Just another point about the PAID autograph versus FREE autograph, if you are saying it doesnt matter and dont care about authenticity of the item AND re-selling the item has NEVER crossed your mind ... I think that is all but a joke!

You spend time and energy to get the FREE autograph, I hope you dont end up with a no-namer or bench warmer.. now that would be really waste of time.

If you spend money on an autograph (like myself), reselling the item does cross my mind. But I would like to enjoy it for a bit and just to make sure that it is liquidate-able in case of emergency.

Why would you say that.
The whole reason I collected autographs was for the thrill of it.
In Chicago its very easy to get an autograph and you can end up with atleast 10 to 15 autographs in one day.
The money I save from not buying autographs I can spend it on a Game used items that has a better chance of the price of the item going up.
Buying an autograph is like buying a new car, As soon as you drive it out of the lot the price goes down.

yankees.stub
02-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Why would you say that.
The whole reason I collected autographs was for the thrill of it.
In Chicago its very easy to get an autograph and you can end up with atleast 10 to 15 autographs in one day.
The money I save from not buying autographs I can spend it on a Game used items that has a better chance of the price of the item going up.
Buying an autograph is like buying a new car, As soon as you drive it out of the lot the price goes down.

You missed my points -- What I meant was, if you can autograph for FREE, does it mean, re-selling the item has never crossed your mind.

The point between FREE versus PAID is the level of difficulty of obtaining the item IN CONDITION THAT IS EASILY SELL-ABLE.

legaleagle92481
02-04-2010, 11:49 PM

Your theory is predicated on the item appreciating. Say you pay $350 bucks including item, sales tax, etc. to get Arod's sig. with all the Arod sigs out there how are you going to get much more than that or even that if you sell it? Every collector can just go to or mail order a sig from the same show you got your sig at or a future show or signing or buy it even cheaper on Ebay. If you get a free sig say it sells for even $75 you just made more than you likely would putting out $350 bucks. Today's players will sign for many more years so their stuff will never be in short supply. Even many of the formerly rare signers have started to come around Koufax and Bill Russell used to never do signings or sign autographs now they have exclusive autograph deals with major companies and you can get them whenever you want. Even Ali who had not signed in years just did a private signing. The only exception is many modern NBA players will not sign for free. Guys like Duncan, Garnett, Lebron there is very little chance of getting a free auto. I heard Garnett actually refers people who ask to the UDA website.