PDA

View Full Version : Jerseys w/ misspelled NOB

emann
02-04-2010, 01:22 PM
So, I meant to post this question earlier, but I picked up an interesting jersey at the Fenway yard sale. It is an Ellis Burks jersey from 1994, all correct tagging and shows good use... The odd thing about it is the name on back is spelled "Burkes" (not the correct, Burks).

I'm surprised a player would wear it (and more than once by the condition of it).

I can post pics later if anybody wants to see it. It's certainly an interesting example of an error gamer... Anybody else own misspelled jerseys (or have seen any)?

—emann
grindcrank@gmail.com

legaleagle92481
02-04-2010, 01:24 PM
So, I meant to post this question earlier, but I picked up an interesting jersey at the Fenway yard sale. It is an Ellis Burks jersey from 1994, all correct tagging and shows good use... The odd thing about it is the name on back is spelled "Burkes" (not the correct, Burks).

I'm surprised a player would wear it (and more than once by the condition of it).

I can post pics later if anybody wants to see it. It's certainly an interesting example of an error gamer... Anybody else own misspelled jerseys (or have seen any)?

—emann
grindcrank@gmail.com

Last year Ryan Zimmerman and Adam Dunn played several innings in jerseys that incorrectly spelled "Nationals".

LastingsMilledge85
02-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Not exactly misspelled, but last year Darren O'Day wore a Kason Gabbard jersey in his Rangers debut.

mbrieve
02-04-2010, 01:39 PM
I saw an Alan Trammell Cubs jersey from last year on eBay that the seller said he purchased at the convention. The jersey had his name spelled "Trammel" and it was claimed that he wore the jersey for a game before they could get him a new one. I have not seen a picture confirming the story...

Neely8
02-04-2010, 01:54 PM
When Wayne Gretzky got traded to the Rangers he wore a jersey with his name mispelled Greztky I believe. If it can happen to him then it can happen to anyone!

Aloving77
02-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Mike Alstott wore "Alsott" on the back of his jersey for his first two games in the NFL. When he retired the Bucs presented him with a current Bucs jersey and a Bucs jersey that was the style he wore his rookie year. The retirement jersey included the misspelling.

allstarsplus
02-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Last year Ryan Zimmerman and Adam Dunn played several innings in jerseys that incorrectly spelled "Nationals".

They were just re-telling that story about how they were told in the dugout (I think the 3rd inning) that they needed to put on new jerseys. One of them said, "Is this a historic game", because the players themselves didn't realize it as it was a fan that alerted the team to the issue of the embroidery mishap of the team name on the front of the jersey.

Like Joel said they auctioned off the Dunn jersey at the Dream Foundation dinner for almost $8,000 last year, and they still have the Zimmerman jersey to auction off.

joelsabi said: someone one here has a jersey where the Nationals is misspelled Natinals and it received national attention. the dunn jersey sold for $8K

dcgreg25
02-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Like Joel said they auctioned off the Dunn jersey at the Dream Foundation dinner for almost $8,000 last year, and they still have the Zimmerman jersey to auction off.

You would think they would want to auction off the Zimmerman sooner rather than later. My feeling is that the further you get from the event and news coverage the less aggressive bidders would be. It would be a great item and great conversation piece regardless.

allstarsplus
02-04-2010, 02:59 PM
You would think they would want to auction off the Zimmerman sooner rather than later. My feeling is that the further you get from the event and news coverage the less aggressive bidders would be. It would be a great item and great conversation piece regardless.

Re-attaching my photo. I also checked and the Dunn was $8,500! Zim jersey would go for more than that most likely as they would do it in the "Live" auction and re-hype the whole thing.

TNTtoys
02-04-2010, 03:13 PM
It's nice that the Nationals were able to turn a negative into such a positive -- from bad press to a donation of $15-20K to charity...that's pretty damn good in my book!

Only other time I can recall something like this happening in a professional game was when Adam Riggs dressed up in an Angels jersey that said "ANGEES" instead. Does anyone legitimately know what happened to this "piece of history"? There are all sorts of stories and rumors out there...

LastingsMilledge85
02-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Darren O'Day wearing Gabbard's jersey.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3380/3476994631_ae1f2e9929.jpg

sox83cubs84
02-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Three I can remember from the good ol' days:

1971 Astros road flannel of the late pitcher, Davr Roberts, with NOB spelled RBOERTS. Supposedly worn in a nationally televised game according to the late Herb Elk, Mr. Houston Sports of the 1970s and '80s.

1986 White Sox home and road knits of Jim Fregosi, NOB spelled FREGSOI.

1977 Giamts ornage knit of Rob Andrews, worn at Wrigley Field and photographed by the Sun-Times, with a front reading SAN FRANCICSO.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Yamils
02-04-2010, 06:59 PM
As I am from Venezuela. I remember the case of venezuelan player Eliezer Alfonzo with the Giants:

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2006/06/05/you-say-alfonzo-equipment-manager-says-alfonso/

I would like to have that jersey!

G1X
02-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Here is my favorite misspelling as it pretty much sums up the World Football League. The WFL is my favorite defunct league, but they just couldn't seem to get things right.

This is a game-used fishnet jersey of Birmingham American's linebacker and team captain Ross Brupbacher who also played a few years with the Chicago Bears. Old-time Bears fans will recognize that they left the letter "p" out of his name.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for WFL and Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Darren Lewis and Willie McGee equipment.

MileHighFan
02-06-2010, 02:08 PM
In the 2004 NBA Slam Dunk Contest, Chris Anderson of the Denver Nuggets wore a jersey with his name spelled "Anderson".

http://i46.tinypic.com/2eqdtm8.jpg

The same mistake was made during the NBA's "Green Week" in April of '09, but a quick fix was made to the jersey before gametime. The right side of the "O" was cut off, leaving a "C", and sewn horizontally in the middle to make an "E".

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu336/MileHighFan_JerseyCentral/Green09.jpg
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu336/MileHighFan_JerseyCentral/Green_New_07.jpg

MileHighFan
02-06-2010, 02:10 PM
In the 2004 NBA Slam Dunk Contest, Chris Anderson of the Denver Nuggets wore a jersey with his name spelled "Anderson".
Wow, sorry. Chris Andersen. I guess it's somewhat appropriate that I misspelled his name in this thread.

jppopma
02-09-2010, 10:24 PM
I should have looked closer at this auction that just ended, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350312606272#ht_4271wt_939

It was for a Royals BP jersey for 3rd base coach Luis Silverio, but spelled SLIVERIO on the back. I pulled it up and found this information on the Royals webpage.

"SLIVERIO" read the back of third-base coach Luis Silverio's warmup jersey on Friday. Obviously it was a sliv-up. Silverio covered the misspelling with a jacket and went about his business. .

Would have been a cool jersey to own, and it only went for $27! If I had only looked closer when I set my lowball snipe....

sox83cubs84
02-10-2010, 06:43 PM
A friend bought a game-issued Albert Arias 1992 Cubs road jersey at a Cubs Convention many years ago...the front read CHICACO.

Dave M.
Chicago area

CampWest
02-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Somebody in the classifieds has a Ravens jersey of Yamon Figurs, spelled Figures.

sox83cubs84
02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Somebody in the classifieds has a Ravens jersey of Yamon Figurs, spelled Figures.

It FIGURES!:D :rolleyes: :p

Dave M.
Chicago area

Dewey2007
02-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Just saw this Univ of Kentuck basketball jersey mistake on Yahoo. Not good at posting the pics so here's the link:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Oops-Nike-misspells-quot-Kentcuky-quot-on-Wal?urn=ncaab,219073

joelsabi
04-08-2010, 09:04 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Another-year-another-jersey-FAIL-Eugenio-Velez?urn=mlb,232837

Something similar this year for Velez.

Fnazxc0114
04-08-2010, 09:53 PM
I about fell out when i saw that last year. Hes done realy good for a guy who cant touch 87 lol

Darren O'Day wearing Gabbard's jersey.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3380/3476994631_ae1f2e9929.jpg

LastingsMilledge85
04-08-2010, 11:22 PM
I can't tell you how disappointed I was when the Mets let him go last year. He really was a solid contributor for the Rangers and more than likely would have done the same for the Mets.

Fnazxc0114
04-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Dont feel bad we got brandon mcarthy for john danks. Also, dont forget about getting rid of chris young and adrian gonzales for . . . . I cant even remember anymore.

TNTtoys
04-09-2010, 09:42 AM
1977 Giamts ornage knit of Rob Andrews, worn at Wrigley Field and photographed by the Sun-Times, with a front reading SAN FRANCICSO.

Guess lightning can strike twice!

LastingsMilledge85
04-09-2010, 10:46 AM
It was just bad timing when the Mets let go of O'Day where it was just days after the death of his friend Nick Adenhart. I could go on and on about the bad trades the Mets have made which is far more than the Rangers.

TNTtoys
04-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Even happens to the "great ones"

Dave4Reds
04-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Sports Illustrated just had a thing on misspelled jerseys. Apparently happens a lot.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1004/mlb.uniform.misspellings/content.1.html?eref=sihp

sox83cubs84
04-10-2010, 03:18 PM
I recall then-White Sox manager Jim Fregosi being issued some 1986 Sand-Knit pullovers with a NOB of FREGSOI.:eek:

Dave M.
Chicago area

JasonBanz
04-10-2010, 04:23 PM
In 1996 the Miami Dolphins bust of a running back Karim Abdul Jabbar had his name misspelled. It was spelled Adbul Jabbar. I have video of it somewhere.