PDA

View Full Version : Ethics Question Regarding Game Used & Fanfests

jdr3
02-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Yesterday at NatsFest, two gentleman scooped up a large amount of the game used jerseys the team had for sale in the Majestic store. What is everyone's opinion--the early bird gets the worm or how much is too much for 1-2 people?

TDKID
02-01-2010, 05:30 PM
As long as the information is made available to everyone as to when the items go on sale, I don't see a problem with it. We do live in a free-market, and though I strongly dislike some of the high prices/mark-ups you see on Game used items, it is a seller's right. Just as long as dealers don't get an earlier chance to scoop everything up before collectors, than I don't see a problem with it. And if it was just collectors buying all the stuff up, than no biggie. As far as placing limits on how many someone can buy ? I don't think that's really a great idea.

platinum1
02-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Yesterday at NatsFest, two gentleman scooped up a large amount of the game used jerseys the team had for sale in the Majestic store. What is everyone's opinion--the early bird gets the worm or how much is too much for 1-2 people?
If the guys bought the items before the store opened then that sucks.
But if they waited in line like everybody else they have the right to buy every single item in the store.

TDKID
02-01-2010, 06:07 PM
If the guys bought the items before the store opened then that sucks.
But if they waited in line like everybody else they have the right to buy every single item in the store.

That's what I was getting at. I totally agree with you. As long as everyone had an equal chance.

allstarsplus
02-01-2010, 06:14 PM

Jim, to be fair, you make this Thread and then forgot to mention you were standing with me at the cash register and you got the best jersey there in my opinion which was the 2009 blue John Lannan patriotic jersey, and that 2005 Watson jersey. John Lannan was the ace of the staff last year so if you are going to post this like it was a wild smash and grab, tell the whole story. You got the nicest jersey.

Plus we waited in the cold and got there early so it was good strategy because like every other FanFest, the decent stuff goes quick.

I walked away with 5 jerseys of which 2 were priced at the higher tier and 1 is going to another Forum member.

We had this discussion on the O's thread that the good stuff needs to go on the auction so everyone has a fair shot. Some guy grabbed 2 Wieters at the O's FanFest that are worth a ton of money and a bunch of other stuff in addition.

At the Nats, these were mostly old jerseys of guys long gone and they threw in 2 players and 1 coaches jersey from the 2009 season. Wil Nieves is a backup catcher.

I wanted the Brian Schneider and got the Wilkerson for another person who gave me his wishlist and got the Jim Riggleman which was $250 and Wil Nieves which was $250 and John Patterson for $100. I don't think many would pay $250 for an unsigned Wil Nieves jersey and for that matter Jim Riggleman at $250 since it was his 3rd base coaches jersey. The John Patterson had light to no use on it as many of the jerseys were in that condition. I was also supposed to get a Milledge which they didn't have.

MarkFD got the Loaiza, the Jose Guillen and a couple of others which still left many others up there like Preston Wilson, Pete Orr, Saul Rivera, Rick Short, Gary Majewski, Paul LoDuca, Gary Bennett, Deivi Cruz, Lopez, Martinez, and 14 others that I don't recall the names.

So Pete Orr and Saul Rivera are already up on eBay so what does that say?

I know Ari and Mark H. got there several minutes behind us as Mark F., you and I were at the cash register, and sure it looked like we had a lot of jerseys as I was holding your 2 jerseys also JIM!

markfd
02-01-2010, 06:39 PM
If standing in line for and hour and 15 minutes in 17 degree temperature and buying 4 jerseys if minor stars, at best, out of 30 jerseys than I am guilty as charged!?

08Cubs
02-01-2010, 06:45 PM
I'll be honest - I was irritated, but there was nothing in there that was so worthwhile it was worth losing any sleep over.

Whoever is first certainly gets first pick and deserves a fair share of the highest quality items. But not *all* of the quality items, and I think that was the problem. There were so few worthwhile jerseys in there yesterday that buying more than a couple when there were only five or six people in the room left nothing for anybody else, which to me seemed selfish. Compare and contrast with the Orioles, where there was a little more to go around. In that setting, I don't think buying four or five jerseys is necessariy unreasonable.

So it's all context. If there are only around ten jerseys that anybody might really want in a room and a handful of people there at the start, should two people pretty much get all of them? That's a question of courtesy and consideration, not expectation or rule.

Lokee
02-01-2010, 06:46 PM
this whole thread is LOL

Grown men arguing over Nats FanFest and who bought jersey's and got there first. Come on kids !:)

platinum1
02-01-2010, 07:02 PM
this whole thread is LOL

Grown men arguing over Nats FanFest and who bought jersey's and got there first. Come on kids !:)
Yeah really why are people crying over Nats jerseys. :p
But really why shouldn't the person that got up extra early waited in line in the cold a$$ weather get the right to buy all the jerseys if he wants too.
You had the same chance as him but you decided to sleep in.
The first time I went to the White Sox garage sale I was like 20 back and every year after that I made sure that I got there earlier.
Now Im always in the top 3 inline.
Its a small price to pay to make sure I get what I want.

allstarsplus
02-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Whoever is first certainly gets first pick and deserves a fair share of the highest quality items.

Just for my knowledge, what jerseys would you say was the highest quality jerseys they had there? Just curious.

Also, be honest, would you have paid $250 for the Wil Nieves.

It isn't like they had Alfonso Soriano, Ryan Zimmerman, Adam Dunn, and Livan Hernandez jerseys.

Also, why did you pass on the Pete Orr and the Saul Rivera jerseys as they hung on the wall for hours and they were $100. Jim and I went back in the store at 1:30 and they still had 14 jerseys left which included the Orr and Rivera.

And just so I know, I don't want to assume your name but if you were standing there with us, does your name start with an A and end in an I?

Raven
02-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Andrew, I will make this my first post ever since you are wrongly calling me out!!! Don't know who 08Cubs is and don't care. I have no problem with you or others buying up the jerseys and doing what you want with them. My issue is really with the Nats - they do not have much game used which casues the issue with low inventory. Also, they probably should have sold this in the team store at the entrance so people did not have to trek upstairs and halfway around the stadium. Just for your knowledge, right after you left, I bought the 2005 Hughes jersey and a lineup card and was done. Would I have liked some of the other players - sure - but I have much more important things to worry about than which jerseys I get. As I mentioned to you, i just want a variety of jerseys that the Nats have worn over the years - don't really care who they are or belong to. Would have liked for my first post to be something else but so be it. I understand you are a nice guy so hopefully we will do much trading together going forward as I am just getting into collecting Nats stuff for me and my kids. For all of you, love the site, by the way - have learned alot. Ari

joelsabi
02-01-2010, 07:42 PM
i imagine if you are in line together for over an hour, a conversation would come up on what items they were looking for. did that occur?

platinum1
02-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Andrew, I will make this my first post ever since you are wrongly calling me out!!! Don't know who 08Cubs is and don't care. I have no problem with you or others buying up the jerseys and doing what you want with them. My issue is really with the Nats - they do not have much game used which casues the issue with low inventory. Also, they probably should have sold this in the team store at the entrance so people did not have to trek upstairs and halfway around the stadium. Just for your knowledge, right after you left, I bought the 2005 Hughes jersey and a lineup card and was done. Would I have liked some of the other players - sure - but I have much more important things to worry about than which jerseys I get. As I mentioned to you, i just want a variety of jerseys that the Nats have worn over the years - don't really care who they are or belong to. Would have liked for my first post to be something else but so be it. I understand you are a nice guy so hopefully we will do much trading together going forward as I am just getting into collecting Nats stuff for me and my kids. For all of you, love the site, by the way - have learned alot. Ari
The Nats have only been around since 2005 and from what I have read from other threads and this one. They had jerseys from 2005 and up.
How much did you expect from a team that has only been around since 2005?

jdr3
02-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Andrew,

My post was poorly worded, misleading and myopic, and I apologize. I had no intention of intimating you had done anything wrong. I would have been the one standing in line and getting what I thought were the best had my wife told me I was krazy to take our 7 year old into subfreezing weather for an hour’s wait. I did get the best jersey they had to offer thanks to you, and I readily admit that. The jerseys you bought were for collectors from out of town or those not able to attend because of the snow. They not intended for making a resale profit on ebay. As usual, your intentions were honorable and well meaning. I am sorry for the distress this has caused you. I came away with 3 myself: Lannan ’09, Walker & Majewski ‘05s, and cannot in good conscience let people think I would limit myself under the circumstances.

-Jim

Raven
02-01-2010, 07:58 PM
The Nats have only been around since 2005 and from what I have read from other threads and this one. They had jerseys from 2005 and up.
How much did you expect from a team that has only been around since 2005?

I mean some red homes, blues, road jerseys, special jerseys, etc... They only offerred 2005 whites plus the blue jersey Andrew mentioned. I don't want to get into a back-and-forth about this.

SaintsGeaux
02-01-2010, 08:01 PM
this whole thread is LOL

I agree. This is funny kids. I go to team sales and have walked away with as much as I can carry. The best strategy and the biggest credit card limit wins. This is nothing new. The teams need a well thought out plan for good stuff. Those Nats jerseys as said were mostly junkers

There will always be hurt feelings. If you waant to get peesed off, how many deals are made by an inside guy or a team employee or back doored and the general public sees them for the first time on ebay. how do you think some dealers have a few dozen of one team. Ever wonder how BPH gets several of one teams jerseys huh.

Raven
02-01-2010, 08:02 PM
I mean some red homes, blues, road jerseys, special jerseys, etc... They only offerred 2005 whites plus the blue jersey Andrew mentioned. I don't want to get into a back-and-forth about this.

Sorry, before someone corrects me, they also had some 2008 whites with the Nats Park patches - already had one so I skipped these.

SaintsGeaux
02-01-2010, 08:09 PM
This isnt all about Nats so what about the Pujols autographs. They were limited and some people were getting multiple autos. is that right. i think again good strategy and probabily paid a premium price for it.

i think the most extreme case of theis Fanfest season was probabily the 2 Wieters jerseys that 1 guy snagged. should he taken just 1

08Cubs
02-01-2010, 08:34 PM
And just so I know, I don't want to assume your name but if you were standing there with us, does your name start with an A and end in an I?

No.

As for the rest, I've said my peace and agree that there is little point to bickering any further over it.

allstarsplus
02-01-2010, 08:36 PM
No.

As for the rest, I've said my peace and agree that there is little point to bickering any further over it.

There were 5 of us there. So what is your name?

allstarsplus
02-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Andrew, I will make this my first post ever since you are wrongly calling me out!!! Don't know who 08Cubs is and don't care. Ari

OK, so there are 5 of us there and one is me, Mark F. Jim R. and Mark H.

08CUBS made this quote on the NatsFest thread:

I was one of the first in, but since one person came in and immediately grabbed all of the few decent jerseys for himself, it's impossible to tell what was there. There was a blue Lannan in there on Friday, but that's all I remember seeing before.

Sorry for me thinking it was you. Accept my apologies.

G1X
02-01-2010, 09:00 PM
I have to say that I thought that Andrew, Markfd, Jim, and Ari were all perfect gentlemen yesterday. I was the third to arrive in the store (I'm much too old to stand in 17 degree weather for a long time), and Jim showed up a few minutes later. Andrew and Mark had a few jerseys in hand, but it was nothing out of the ordinary. There was no hogging whatsoever.

We had a friendly conversation, and Andrew and Markfd were already in a discussion of sharing their items with other GUU members which included holding the Lannan jerseys for Jim. Even if they had a wheel barrow full of jerseys, it would not have bothered me because they were the ones who went to the trouble of showing up early and braving the cold.

There was a nice Preston Wilson from the inagural season still hanging on the wall when I arrived, and I gladly took that one for $100. I would think that if Andrew and Markfd did not have honorable intentions, they would have snagged it along with a few others that were still there.

Ari made the best point of all yesterday when he expressed disappointment over the team not making more items available. Maybe next year they will improve the selection. The prices were great, but there just wasn't a whole lot to choose from.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for WFL and Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and any Willie McGee and Darren Lewis equipment.

Raven
02-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks Mark. Can't say I exactly remember who all of you were by name since we just met but I learned a bunch from whoever was talking to me about the jerseys and the tags. Let's hopefully close the thread but Andrew, just to allay any fears that 08Cubs is me - from the quote you showed from the NatsFest thread (which I must say I have not read through), it implies whoever that is was at the park on Friday, presumably at the hot stove lunch - unfortunately i was in a suit and tie at my desk all day downtown. Wish I could have been there. Talk to you soon.

allstarsplus
02-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks Mark. Can't say I exactly remember who all of you were by name since we just met but I learned a bunch from whoever was talking to me about the jerseys and the tags. Let's hopefully close the thread but Andrew, just to allay any fears that 08Cubs is me - from the quote you showed from the NatsFest thread (which I must say I have not read through), it implies whoever that is was at the park on Friday, presumably at the hot stove lunch - unfortunately i was in a suit and tie at my desk all day downtown. Wish I could have been there. Talk to you soon.

Raven - Thanks for the phone call. Congrats on your purchases!

sportscentury
02-01-2010, 09:46 PM
This is entertaining enough, but I must admit ... I'm lost. Is Ari the same as Antonio D.?

08Cubs
02-01-2010, 10:15 PM
No.

Just to be clear since it seems that at least some of the others know each other personally, I don't know anyone else who was involved in this. I walked in a short bit after.

As I've already said a couple of times, I don't think this whole thing is worthy of a federal case or anywhere near this level of nitpicking, and I didn't start the thread. I was just expressing a little frustration, others have different views, and that's fine. Not accusing anyone of anything underhanded, and it's all water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned.

G1X
02-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Ari,

I was the one talking tagging with you. Glad to know that the information was helpful.

Regarding 08Cubs frustration, I think that we were all a bit frustrated/disappointed simply because there was such a small selection.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for WFL and Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and any Willie McGee and Darren Lewis equipment.

jppopma
02-02-2010, 04:00 AM
From the sounds of it, this does not seem like any hogging at all. Also, I know and would expect that Andrew would be the 1st to help others out (as he has so many times).

For those who may be complaining that you didn't get what you wanted, it will only get worse from what I have read happened here. I have been to some of these sales where two guys will be 1st in line and take armfulls of jerseys off into a corner. They will then take all day going through them and making calls all day long trying to move them (all before they really even bought them). Don't even think of mistakingly going to look through their secret stash with them, they will bark and snap even at kids and other who are just wandering and looking at what there is to offer. NOW THAT IS HOGGING! When things get to that point, it's just wrong.

Another observation from these fanfest is that there are alot of people who complain just to complain. Not saying that about anything in this thread...but it happens. The same people that would complain about Andrew picking up a few $250 jerseys, would complain all day about the prices and how they would never pay $250 for that jerseys anyway! I think there is just a big misconception that there are some super top secret deals to be had (it happens at times, but not always).

I'm sure that Andrew snuck in the doors before hand and picked up all the Dunns and Miledges for about $50 a piece...hid them....and then cashed out with a bunch of commons to cover it all up..... :D

allstarsplus
02-02-2010, 08:11 AM
From the sounds of it, this does not seem like any hogging at all. Also, I know and would expect that Andrew would be the 1st to help others out (as he has so many times).

For those who may be complaining that you didn't get what you wanted, it will only get worse from what I have read happened here. I have been to some of these sales where two guys will be 1st in line and take armfulls of jerseys off into a corner. They will then take all day going through them and making calls all day long trying to move them (all before they really even bought them). Don't even think of mistakingly going to look through their secret stash with them, they will bark and snap even at kids and other who are just wandering and looking at what there is to offer. NOW THAT IS HOGGING! When things get to that point, it's just wrong.

Another observation from these fanfest is that there are alot of people who complain just to complain. Not saying that about anything in this thread...but it happens. The same people that would complain about Andrew picking up a few $250 jerseys, would complain all day about the prices and how they would never pay $250 for that jerseys anyway! I think there is just a big misconception that there are some super top secret deals to be had (it happens at times, but not always).

I'm sure that Andrew snuck in the doors before hand and picked up all the Dunns and Miledges for about $50 a piece...hid them....and then cashed out with a bunch of commons to cover it all up..... :D

Thanks for your insight. Now in hindsight we all seem to be in agreement that the initial perception looked bad, but in reality as mentioned there just wasn't a lot of good jerseys and a real lack of current players and variety.

As mentioned also, one person's junk is another's treasure which is the old saying of yard sales and flea markets. This was like a one room 400 sq ft flea market. People get there early and make the mad dash when the gate opens. I found my personal treasure-a grail item. The Brian Schneider was the only Set 1 of the 2005 jerseys I got. I never expected that jersey to ever show up. To find that it was there, and $100 was crazy. As some of you that know in my personal collection that I have a lot of Brian Schneider gear including from the 1st Nats game ever at RFK and from the 1st pitch I have Brian Schneider's cathers mitt, shin guards, cap, cleats, and now the jersey. One day I hope to get a dual signed RFK logo'd ball signed by Brian Schneider with George W. Bush.

mattsr
02-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Well I stood in in line for 6 hours and was the 8th person. But everyone in front of me was there for autographs. So when the doors opened I was the first person going to the game used items from the brewers. And there were vendors already there picking up stuff and walking away only to resell them at their own tables. I was still able to get great items but it's not the point. I waited outside in the cold to get the best stuff I could and I see I was beat to it by a vendor. It's unfair to everyone that waited.

eisenreich8
02-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Did anyone manage to pick up a Julian Tavarez jersey? I would like to hear from you if you're selling same.

04redsox@bellsouth.net

Joe

platinum1
02-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Well I stood in in line for 6 hours and was the 8th person. But everyone in front of me was there for autographs. So when the doors opened I was the first person going to the game used items from the brewers. And there were vendors already there picking up stuff and walking away only to resell them at their own tables. I was still able to get great items but it's not the point. I waited outside in the cold to get the best stuff I could and I see I was beat to it by a vendor. It's unfair to everyone that waited.
Now that sucks especially if you waited SIX hours to get in.

legaleagle92481
02-02-2010, 11:11 AM

In this hobby it is first come first served. If these guys just took a few each then someone else would have come along and bought a large amount. These fests are frequented by flippers and dealers and that will always be the case.

xpress34
02-02-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm going to play the 'Devil's Advocate' here as I have been where you are coming from about 1 or 2 people getting there early, etc... but sometimes in the long haul, it works out better for you on the $$$ end.

Case in point - the Rockies sell their GU through the Rockies Dug Out Stores (4 locations) and you can put your name on the want list. However, the equipment person for the Rox who is supposed to distribute to the stores sells lots out the back door at Coors Field to the same big buyers each year.

Well, after 2007, I wanted a GU Holliday Hat for my collection... NONE of the 4 stores got one...if they had, the Rockies asking price (per a Dug Out Store MGR and due to Holliday being a star) would have been $400 - $500 - YES, for a GU WS Hat. Apparently they also had about 100+ people on the list ahead of me for ANY of Matt's GU WS items.

A few months later, a Holliday WS hat surfaced with provenance from the Rockies and all and I purchased it for $175. Matt verified to me personally that it was the ONLY Purple bill hat he wore in the WS (they wore the purple bill for 3 games and all black for 1) and inscribed it Game Used 2007 World Series and Autographed it for me. Now it is definately worth more than the $400 or $500 the Rox would have asked, but I got a deal on it. And it's one of only two Holliday WS hats. Most of the Rox apparently wore a new hat each game and some guys changed hats during games as well according to some local sources...

Just letting you know that they don't all get jacked UP in price when some of those who grab it all prepare to sell...

- Chris

xpress34
02-02-2010, 03:55 PM
BTW...

For what it's worth - and NOT trying to start an argument here - it's not UNETHICAL. It may be INCONSIDERATE, but those are far apart from being one in the same.

Just my .02

- Chris

jdr3
02-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I worded the start of this thread in a horrible fashion.

joelsabi
02-02-2010, 05:00 PM

Jim,

Glad you admitted to your mistake as the original post seem to indirectly point to a person who happen to be picking up jerseys for people who happen to ask for his help thru this board. An unselfish act on this person's part. I hope Andrew continues to assist people.

Regards,

Joel

xpress34
02-02-2010, 07:01 PM

Jim -

I didn't mean to pick on the choice of words - Dad was an English Major... it's in the blood!!

All the best -

Chris

magda24
02-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Did anyone buy any of the Nats "Martinez" jerseys that were available for sale? If yes, please contact me if you are interested in reselling. Thanks in advance.

M. Martinez

michael.martinez123@comcast.net (michael.martinez123@comcast.net)

allstarsplus
02-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Jim,

Glad you admitted to your mistake as the original post seem to indirectly point to a person who happen to be picking up jerseys for people who happen to ask for his help thru this board. An unselfish act on this person's part. I hope Andrew continues to assist people.

Regards,

Joel

Joel - I hope to never be deterred from helping people, and Jim probably wishes he never started this thread.

I had a laundry list from lots of members and felt bad that there was so little there. For instance, only 1 Blue jersey so my friend JP won't get his jersey unless Jim decides to sell his Lannan to JP.

LastingsMilledge never got his Milledge 2009 jersey he really wanted.

SgtHalliburton never got his Set 1 Wilkerson road or his Vinny Castilla Set 1 home jersey.

Skyking never got his Adam Dunn 2009 home or road jersey.

I didn't buy the LoDuca (which was there in the store) that I wanted to go with his Opening Day 2008 catcher's gear I own, but I did get the Schneider.

Oh well, maybe next year!

allstarsplus
02-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Did anyone buy any of the Nats "Martinez" jerseys that were available for sale? If yes, please contact me if you are interested in reselling. Thanks in advance.

M. Martinez

michael.martinez123@comcast.net (michael.martinez123@comcast.net)

I know who bought it! She may be willing to sell it! If not, I know the person who bought the Martinez 2008 Opening Day jersey w/ Nats Park patch and MLB holo.

jdr3
02-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Jim -

I didn't mean to pick on the choice of words - Dad was an English Major... it's in the blood!!

All the best -

Chris

Chris,

I made this bed, now I have to sleep in it! Andrew is correct--I wish I never started the whole subject.

-Jim

xpress34
02-02-2010, 11:38 PM
I made this bed, now I have to sleep in it!

Just don't lose any sleep over it! Just remember - we're a bunch of Jocks, ex-Jocks or wannabe-Jocks who get closer to the action by buying other Jocks used items!!! ;)

All the best -

Chris

Buster
02-02-2010, 11:57 PM
I remember reading an article about the Expos possibly moving to Washington DC in 2002 sometime.

I swear I remember reading that name, "Andrew Lang", in the story. I think he had discussions at the time with Bud Selig. I will Google it and try to find the story to share it with you.

It is my belief that Andrew Lang was behind the whole move and had major influence in it coming to be. He had planned for many years to corner the market on the lesser known bench players of a last place team. I can just see him now, the filthy greedy pig, grabbing the jerseys off the racks and tables as he sprinted through the 400 square foot cathedral, leaving behind the superstars of the likes of Paul "Pincushion-butt" La Duca.

You guys never stood a chance. The filthy pig.

Hi Andrew, was nice talking to you via email the other night!!!:p

Buster

allstarsplus
02-03-2010, 01:01 AM
I remember reading an article about the Expos possibly moving to Washington DC in 2002 sometime.

I swear I remember reading that name, "Andrew Lang", in the story. I think he had discussions at the time with Bud Selig. I will Google it and try to find the story to share it with you.

It is my belief that Andrew Lang was behind the whole move and had major influence in it coming to be. He had planned for many years to corner the market on the lesser known bench players of a last place team. I can just see him now, the filthy greedy pig, grabbing the jerseys off the racks and tables as he sprinted through the 400 square foot cathedral, leaving behind the superstars of the likes of Paul "Pincushion-butt" La Duca.

You guys never stood a chance. The filthy pig.

Hi Andrew, was nice talking to you via email the other night!!!:p

Buster

It was real nice talking with you too and glad I could help you with the Ichiro and Matsui game used bats.

When are you going to sell me your Stephen Strasburg San Diego State jersey???