PDA

View Full Version : Ot: The Sandlot

momen55
02-01-2010, 03:59 PM
the babe ruth ball; is it real, or a fake? if it was fake, it was a pretty good one too!
i doubt someone gave up their ball for the movie, unless they were offered a substantial amount for it. or commissioned someone to make a fake one?

bigtruck260
02-01-2010, 04:08 PM
the babe ruth ball; is it real, or a fake? if it was fake, it was a pretty good one too!
i doubt someone gave up their ball for the movie, unless they were offered a substantial amount for it. or commissioned someone to make a fake one?

There are some pretty good artists in Hollywood - that can 'draw' just about anything. Could have been traced too...it was a pretty good signature. Was watching with my son the other day and thought the same thing.

grenda12
02-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Was watching the other day and thought the same thing.

+1

xpress34
02-01-2010, 04:50 PM
"You're killin' me Smalls!" :D

+1

justinwc80
02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Fooooorrrreverrrrrrrrrr, great movie, never saw the sequels but even as an adult you can't help but enjoy it.

WadeInBmore
02-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Definately not a real signed ball. Remember the camera doesn't see as clearly as your naked eye (only 40% with the camera). Its called SHOW BUSINESS. They "made" that ball so that it was screen worthy...and I would even bet that there were probably 3-4 of those balls made up for the scene(s) and that was the best one in the opinions of the producers. You'd be surprised at some of the "tricks" that Hollywood uses to make items look a certain way.

Also, while movie/production insurance is expensive to begin with, I find it even harder to believe that extra expenses/percautions would've been taken just so they could use an authentic Ruth autograph...especially one that was going to be handled so frequently with the possiblitiy of damaging exponetially unavoidable, on screen or off. Unneeded expense and headache. Film making is destructive unintentionally.

Movie sets are a controlled chaos...compare it to an ant farm. A ball on set has a high probability to be tossed around by crew members simply because its there and available. Not to mention...we also have to assume that the prop master would've been a baseball fan and could appreciate the value of such a ball (for a lot of guys its just a job).

The only movie that I've been on that had actual artifacts used as props was on an HBO movie called "Something the Lord Made" and we were lucky enough to be able to "use" Vivian Thomas' actual surgical tools...under the watchful eyes of a museum personel and with limited use. Vivian Thomas was responsible for creating the surgical procedure that cured blue babies.

The picture with James Earl Jones and Babe Ruth was a real photo just retouched putting James Earl Jones's head on Jimmie Foxx's body LOL (according to IMDB).

...there's no business like show business.

Sorry for the rant, but this is my specialty ;)

wade

joelsabi
02-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Awhile back on ebay i saw a movie prop baseball with babe ruth signature on it. I bidded $30 but I remember it going for over $200.

Great family movie btw, totally relate to it.

I’d followed them to the sandlot once after school.
I’d never seen anyplace like it.
It was like their own little baseball kingdom or something.
It was the greatest place I’d ever seen anyway.
But they were good. real good.
And all I had was a plastic toy mitt that my grandmother gave me for my birthday when I was six.
But when I finally got up enough guts to go out there and try and make friends,
I found out that they never kept score,
They never chose sides, they never even really stopped playing the game.
It just went on forever.
Every day they picked up where they left off the day before.
It was like an endless dream game.