PDA

View Full Version : Garko signs with...

WadeInBmore
02-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Espn just reported that Ryan Garko signed a one year deal with the Mariners! I know that there are some Garko collectors on this site and wanted to share, incase you hadn't heard yet. Now the all important question...Does anyone have a contact at the M's so that Garko items can be obtained by his collectors :D

Happy Monday all

wade

mariner_gamers
02-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Funny this kind of plays into the whole collecting "quality" vs quantity scenarios that have been posted so much here lately. I personally know 3 people who will be going after Garko's Mariners bats. That does not include any Garko collectors. With the absolute trickle of Mariners used stuff available the past few years and the high prices asked by the team it could get expensive!!! I am hoping the buzz generated by last seasons record and the Fanfest turnout this past weekend a few local shops will get involved in buying players game stuff again. If not it is going to be another long year of adding players to my want list.

MarinersFan34
02-01-2010, 06:24 PM
I am in the area and will keep an eye out for things. As Davis mentioned, prices are steep and there's no way they're coming down unless a big bulk closeout deal is done like KruK cards did.

I have tracked down a few items for folks incl. a number of GU/TI items from the sale at FanFest. I've gotten to most emails but will follow up on the rest tonight.

Davis, can you send me an updated wantlist when you get a chance or I'll dig up an old email and send you a message.

ziggy
02-01-2010, 10:42 PM
was surprised all he could get was a one year deal for $550,000.

LastingsMilledge85
02-01-2010, 10:51 PM
He probably won't start though. He's going to have to at least compete for the starting job with Kotchman at first base.

Buster
02-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I forgot to say, as a Giants fan, I am glad to hear of this.

GarkoCollector
02-03-2010, 07:50 PM
I am in the area and will keep an eye out for things. As Davis mentioned, prices are steep and there's no way they're coming down unless a big bulk closeout deal is done like KruK cards did.

I have tracked down a few items for folks incl. a number of GU/TI items from the sale at FanFest. I've gotten to most emails but will follow up on the rest tonight.

Davis, can you send me an updated wantlist when you get a chance or I'll dig up an old email and send you a message.

I'd appreciate a heads up if you find anything that comes up available.
Thanks,
Tom

GarkoCollector
02-03-2010, 07:53 PM
was surprised all he could get was a one year deal for $550,000.

His contract is very incentive laden and can be worth up to 3 times that amount.

Lokee
02-03-2010, 08:23 PM
I guess he was screwed for catching in Cleveland because of V-Mart. I heard he will be the Mariners 3rd string catcher. It would be cool to see him possibly catch Cliff Lee as he did in AA and AAA.

GarkoCollector
02-03-2010, 08:34 PM
I guess he was screwed for catching in Cleveland because of V-Mart. I heard he will be the Mariners 3rd string catcher. It would be cool to see him possibly catch Cliff Lee as he did in AA and AAA.

Well, he decided to work on another position when they signed VMart to the 5 year deal. He knew the dish wasnt gonna be in his immediate future. He IS to be the 3rd string catcher, but if he could return to form, he has a hell of an arm. Johnny Bench winner arm. Funny theres 3 Indians from the beginning of last year on that Roster now.

LastingsMilledge85
02-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Milledge has more upside than Garko, but I'm not that optimistic towards Lastings.

mariner_gamers
02-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Garko adds a platoon at first with Kotchman and mashes lefties. Comparable players did sign in the $3-$4 million range this offseason. Jack Z likes the platoon especially if a player excels at one facet, in this case hitting lefties. His defense is marginal but again he is a first baseman not a SS. He also offers the ability to catch so that is a bonus. Rob Johnson can't hit and Adam Moore is a kid. One injury and Garko might see some AB's behind the plate. I thought Garko was out of the picture when we acquired Kotchman but the price was soooooo good we jumped in. Safeco is a pitchers park but he should do just fine. It will be fun to watch Kotchman and Garko push each other for AB's at first. The push begins in just a few weeks!!! Spring Training is upon us!!!

chakes89
02-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Hey Tom,

This may be on the board somewhere but what made you collect Ryan Garko?

What made you decide to pursue him?