PDA

View Full Version : What player's items did you buy early in their career before they broke out?

dcgreg25
01-29-2010, 01:50 PM
There have been a number of threads on here about players who detonate their careers (Bonds, Tiger, McGwire, Vick, etc) and destroy the value of their GU/Signed items as well as great rookies who end up as busts causing collectors to take big losses if they ever sell their items.

On the flip side, are anybody on here bought items of a player relatively early in their career, on the cheap? I realize this is more and more rare as rookies items can be more expensive than the established stars but wanted to hear some stories and see some pics if they are out there.

bigtruck260
01-29-2010, 01:55 PM
I spent alot of money on Ben McDonald rookie cards....

If I had been collecting GU items back then, it would have been Dimitri Young. Not a bad career, but not a superstar.

ironmanfan
01-29-2010, 02:04 PM
I bought my first Cal Ripken Jr. game worn jersey at an Orioles Wives auction in 1985

Kid4hof03
01-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Bernie Williams; from 1994 through 1996 I bought at least 15 Bernie bats ranging from $40-$150, had 4 jerseys, batting helmet, cleats, a couple of hats and some other items.

A couple of years later when the prices were high and we were buying a house and expecting our first child I sold the entire collection. I made a nice profit but there are more than a few items that I really would love to locate and reaquire.

Abe

STLHAMMER32
01-29-2010, 02:46 PM
I collected Josh Hamilton early in his career and continued even through the drug issues. I did not buy enough looking back... Wish I would have got more bats, problem was there was not many floating around.

geoff
01-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Hanley Ramirez Game Used Signed Helmet.

shoremen44
01-29-2010, 02:58 PM
I spent alot of money on Ben McDonald rookie cards....

Dave we can trade... I still have a bunch of Ben McDonald cards...lol

mariner_gamers
01-29-2010, 04:21 PM
5 or 6 Alex Rodriguez game bats for around $250-$400 a piece. Sold them around 2001 when I built my Boss Shinoda Mustang.

http://image.musclemustangfastfords.com/f/8834283+w750+st0/0310mm_12z+1998_Ford_Mustang+Front_Drivers_Side_Vi ew_In_Lot.jpg

Thanks Alex!!!

xpress34
01-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Matt Holliday's 1st MLB Jersey assigned to him from his 1st MLB Spring Training in 2000. He was #84 (pretty far down the pecking order).

I found it on the 'Bay in 2002 - 2 years before his MLB debut - and picked it up on the cheap. Still have it and probably will for some time.

Albert Pujols ROY inscribed ball. While working Loss prevention for Niketown Denver in 2002, I had the privilege of spending about 3 hours with Albert when the Cards came to town early in the season. We could not get autos in the store and when he went to check out, I took lunch, ran across the street to the Rockies Dug Out Store, bought an MLB ball and caught Albert as he was exiting the store. Ddidn't make a big scene, he was gracious and signed and added the ROY - '01 and his #5 without me asking. Had no idea how RARE that inscription would turn out to be with his early sig. Still have it as well.

- Chris

LWMM
01-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Jonny Gomes. And I'm still waiting... :D

CampWest
01-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Well, not that anything I've acquired was "cheap"... but I've been getting Billy Butler bats since early 2007. Even though he had a great season last year, hopefully he still has a break-out coming... I hope he's not one of those peaked-at-23yo players.

MichaelofSF
01-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Although Carlos Beltran was the '99 ROY and was a good player he didn't become famous until his 2004 postseason with the Astros. I started collecting Beltran in his early Royals days. Also I have been collecting Zack Greinke since his MLB debut in Oakland when I got a ball from the game that Desi Relaford threw to me. (Side story: At the end of every inning Mike Sweeney would throw the ball to Greinke's family which was seated a few seats to my left. One inning when the last play was an out to Desi Relaford he was nice enough to throw the ball to the other Royals fan in the Stadium, me). I would say that Greinke's 2009 Cy Young campaign would count as a breakout year.

Like Wes I have been collecting Butler, Gordon as well. Gordon has come with much more hype and has yet to breakout. Hoping (not holding my breath) that 2010 is his breakout year.

Fnazxc0114
01-30-2010, 02:14 AM
ive overspent on a chris davis g/u jersey and bat. Hope he turns it around. Recently picked up a saltalamacchia g/u glove. Hope it pans out, but if he tanks atleast i have a custom rawlings catchers mitt.

dcgreg25
01-30-2010, 01:28 PM
I have only collected GU items for six or seven years but I did get some early Sabathia and Cliff Lee jerseys before they became stars. Being an Indians collection, I have a few I young players I have bought and am hoping for (LaPorta, Carlos Santana and Brantley).

allstarsplus
01-30-2010, 02:36 PM
If I had been collecting GU items back then, it would have been Dimitri Young. Not a bad career, but not a superstar.

DaMeat as we called him during his time in Washington was a real delight. Fan friendly and always smiling.

A shame his diabetes caused major problems in his career in DC.

allstarsplus
01-30-2010, 02:48 PM

This was Ryan Zimmerman and me on September 20, 2005. He was a September callup and 20 years old. Ryan had a grand total of less than 3 months in the Minors and I handed him a ball for my son and a guy says to me, "Why would you waste a baseball on this kid?".

I think Ryan who who had a great Rookie year in 2006 w/ 110 RBI's and great glove and 2nd place finish in the ROY really achieved star status with a Silver Slugger this year and Gold Glove and All Star pick.

I was lucky enough to get one of his USA Baseball bats, and the first Nats jersey he ever wore and some other amazing items. Now his game used items are hot and tougher to get the really good items.