PDA

View Full Version : Dawson In As An Expo!!!!!!!

dirtyla2000
01-27-2010, 06:53 AM
The Legend Of The Expos Lives On.the Expos Were The Logical Choice! Felicatation Nos Amours!!!

ironmanfan
01-27-2010, 08:02 AM
It was the right choice IMO

allstarsplus
01-27-2010, 08:09 AM
The Legend Of The Expos Lives On.the Expos Were The Logical Choice! Felicatation Nos Amours!!!

Glad to hear he did the right thing! It is also a nice tribute to the fans that were faithful to the Montreal Expos.

Birdbats
01-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Guess the Cubs won't be retiring his number now, huh?

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4814493

shoremen44
01-27-2010, 10:05 AM
But think about it this way... his number is already retired with the expos.... for that matter everyone's is

BorchertField
01-27-2010, 10:16 AM

Amazingly classless move out of Wrigley. Bush league, gentlemen. Very bush.

It smacks of the slimy quid pro quo that led the Hall of Fame to take the choice away from players in the first place.

platinum1
01-27-2010, 10:28 AM

WOW:eek: Another reason to hate the Cubs.
They do one dumb thing after another.
This is the same organization that refused to put a statue of
ERNIE BANKS "MR CUB" around the stadium.
It took Jessie Jackson and Mike North to start a petition to have a statue put around Wrigley.
And they still figured a way to screw that up by having a grammer error on the statue.

Sincityson
01-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Dawson would have made more money for speaking engagements, etc.. had he have gone in as a Cub.. Cooperstown Confidential is a good book to read, explains a few things like that.

Not sure why he would publicly say what he said on ESPN radio:

“I’m disappointed,” Dawson told the ESPN Radio affiliate. “I can proudly say that because Chicago was my preference.”

staindsox
01-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Sounds like he wanted to go in as a Cub too...

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4862768

sox83cubs84
01-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Why go in as an Expo (other than the Hall of Fame throwing their weight around)? The team had crowds at the end that would embarass a high school basketball game, the team was rarely competitive, and, when the Expos first retired #10, they publicized Rusty Staub...Dawson wasn't even given a mention. I don't blame Dawson for making his true feelings known...this wasn't Wade Boggs being offered megabucks by Tampa Bay to go in as a Devil Ray; this was a guy who won an MVP in Chicago the season after he left Montreal, is still a fan favorite among Cubs Nation, and has personally taken a love of the Cubs and their fans that isn't matched with the Expos or any other team they played with. I think it SUCKS!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Dave M.
Chicago area

5kRunner
01-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Why go in as an Expo (other than the Hall of Fame throwing their weight around)? The team had crowds at the end that would embarass a high school basketball game, the team was rarely competitive, and, when the Expos first retired #10, they publicized Rusty Staub...Dawson wasn't even given a mention. I don't blame Dawson for making his true feelings known...this wasn't Wade Boggs being offered megabucks by Tampa Bay to go in as a Devil Ray; this was a guy who won an MVP in Chicago the season after he left Montreal, is still a fan favorite among Cubs Nation, and has personally taken a love of the Cubs and their fans that isn't matched with the Expos or any other team they played with. I think it SUCKS!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Dave M.
Chicago area

100% agree.

Its not like he wanted to go in as a Marlin.

BIGSTIG
01-27-2010, 08:15 PM
I personally am extremely dissapointed. I have already booked the trip out to Cooperstown for the induction, and am starting to second guess it :(

It is a REAL shame that the idiots at the HOF don't listen to the player, even if that meant going in as Marlin.....Yes some players would sell themselves out (Boggs) and that would of been a disgrace, but so is sending Dawson in as an Expo, when he CLEARLY wants in as a Cub.

No offense to any Expos fans out there...if there are any left??

LOL :) JK!!

dirtyla2000
01-27-2010, 09:08 PM
[quote=sox83cubs84;183668]Why go in as an Expo (other than the Hall of Fame throwing their weight around)? The team had crowds at the end that would embarass a high school basketball game, the team was rarely competitive, and, when the Expos first retired #10, they publicized Rusty Staub...Dawson wasn't even given a mention. I don't blame Dawson for making his true feelings known...this wasn't Wade Boggs being offered megabucks by Tampa Bay to go in as a Devil Ray; this was a guy who won an MVP in Chicago the season after he left Montreal, is still a fan favorite among Cubs Nation, and has personally taken a love of the Cubs and their fans that isn't matched with the Expos or any other team they played with. I think it SUCKS!!:mad: :mad: :mad:
The man became a superstar in Montreal,sour grapes from a sour sports town!

sox83cubs84
01-27-2010, 10:43 PM
This "sour sports town" has 2 MLB teams...what does Montreal have left, baseball-wise? And, if Les Expos are such a big whoop-dee-doo, why have you turned on them now that they are in Washington? Sounds like the sour grapes are coming from someone other than me!:rolleyes:

Dave M.
Chicago area

Buster
01-27-2010, 11:26 PM
I hope MLB expands again soon, and they bring back the Expos! I always loved their uniforms! by the way, I'm new here, and have enjoyed reading the posts so I decided to finally post.

jobathenut
01-27-2010, 11:31 PM
This goes great with a thread i started awhile ago.Asking if the hall or the player decided what team.And who has the power,can the hall say no you are going in as this team.Even if the player does not want to.And i just read on fox sports that he wanted to go in as a cub and the hall said no you have to go in as a expo.So i guess that ansewers my question.:)

legaleagle92481
01-27-2010, 11:46 PM
I think it is a shame. Dawson even though he played only a few years there will always be a Cub in my mind and he won his MVP there so he should be allowed to go in there. This is not Boggs wanting to go in as a Ray for money. It is like Carter when he was forced to go in as a Expo when he will be remebered most for his Mets years by most fans and he won his championship there. The Hall defies logic sometimes.

Buster
01-27-2010, 11:55 PM
When a guy is elected into the hall, do you really think it matters?

His career is reflective of his career. The whole career. It encompasses his playing time with every team. So everyone who ever liked the player should be happy no matter what "cap" he wears going in. Personally, I like the Expos pick. The cubs kinda always sucked since the goat thingie.

legaleagle92481
01-28-2010, 12:10 AM
When a guy is elected into the hall, do you really think it matters?

His career is reflective of his career. The whole career. It encompasses his playing time with every team. So everyone who ever liked the player should be happy no matter what "cap" he wears going in. Personally, I like the Expos pick. The cubs kinda always sucked since the goat thingie.

What is your favorite team? I am a Mets fan and when I go to Cooperstown I see the grand total of one plaque bearing my favorite team's cap. It is depressing because the Mets have not had the best players in their 48 year history and one of the few we have had is wearing some other team's cap. So I can see Cubs fans being Poed by the decision. After all who is their next hall of famer? One does not appear to be on the horizon and other than Sandberg their hall of famers played 30 plus years ago.

Sincityson
01-28-2010, 02:54 AM
It is like Carter when he was forced to go in as a Expo when he will be remebered most for his Mets years by most fans and he won his championship there. The Hall defies logic sometimes.

Carter as an Expo was a more obvious choice than Dawson as an Expo. Carter spent 11 seasons as an Expo, 5 with the Mets. Had good numbers with both, more All star appearances with the Expos, etc. Going in as a Met, would certainly been more financially beneficial for him.

dirtyla2000
01-28-2010, 06:50 AM
This "sour sports town" has 2 MLB teams...what does Montreal have left, baseball-wise? And, if Les Expos are such a big whoop-dee-doo, why have you turned on them now that they are in Washington? Sounds like the sour grapes are coming from someone other than me!:rolleyes:

Dave M.
Chicago areaTwo teams, one championship! Monreal will have 3 hall of famers when all is said and done! LETS GO TIMMY RAINES,THE SECOND GREATEST LEADOFF MAN IN HISTORY!!!!!

legaleagle92481
01-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Two teams, one championship! Monreal will have 3 hall of famers when all is said and done! LETS GO TIMMY RAINES,THE SECOND GREATEST LEADOFF MAN IN HISTORY!!!!!

Possibly four if Guerrero goes in as one under the Dawson standard. I.E. win your only MVP in one uniform go in to the Hall in another.

sox83cubs84
01-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Two teams, one championship! Monreal will have 3 hall of famers when all is said and done! LETS GO TIMMY RAINES,THE SECOND GREATEST LEADOFF MAN IN HISTORY!!!!!

I won't argue with you on Raines...he's a favorite of mine, too.

Dave M.
Chicago area

sox83cubs84
01-28-2010, 02:42 PM

BTW...2 teams, one championship beats 1 departed team and no championships.;)

Dave M.
Chicago area

dirtyla2000
01-28-2010, 03:34 PM
BTW...2 teams, one championship beats 1 departed team and no championships.;)

Dave M.
Chicago area
IN A 100 YEARS,NOT BY MUCH! CUBS ARE PERENIAL LOSERS BUT I DO LOVE THEM BLACKHAWKS,WHAT A TEAM,THEY MIGHT BRING CHICAGO THEIR ONLY CHAMPIONSHIP IN THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE!!

sox83cubs84
01-28-2010, 08:38 PM
I do believe the Blackhawks will be the next Chicago team to win it all. Guess we agree on SOME things.;)

Dave M.
Chicago area

legaleagle92481
01-28-2010, 11:23 PM
IN A 100 YEARS,NOT BY MUCH! CUBS ARE PERENIAL LOSERS BUT I DO LOVE THEM BLACKHAWKS,WHAT A TEAM,THEY MIGHT BRING CHICAGO THEIR ONLY CHAMPIONSHIP IN THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE!!

The Sox won in 1917 as well so that is two in 100 years. Which for a big City is just sad even my pathetic Mets and Knicks have two titles in the last 50 years.