PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Mathews Bat Player Chart (Revised?)

ghostkid
06-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Hi Ya'll,

I'm confused! I checked the bat player chart at this site earlier in the week and thought I saw where Eddie Mathews ordered some 34", 32oz. S2 bats in the mid-1950's (I think it was either 1955 or 1956). I seem to recall that one order was for an all-star bat and the other was for regular season bats. Based on that info, I just won a 34" S2 Ed Mathews bat on ebay (item #8829655966). The seller said that a "generous hobby expert" suggested the bat is from 1960-64. Based on the width of the REG US PAT OFF stamping and the location of the 125, I believe the bat is from 1950-60. You can probably now see why I was willing to buy this bat - I thought I discovered a 1950's Eddie Mathews pro model bat that matchedsfactory records for length.

So, naturally I decided to re-visit the Ed Mathews bat player chart and print a copy to keep with the bat. Much to my surprise, the 34" S2 bat order no longer appears in the chart. Finally, here's my question. Was the bat player chart for Eddie Mathews revised sometime within the past week, or did I just mis-read the chart earlier in the week?

Thanks,
Kevin

bat_master
06-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Hi Kevin,

I also bid on that bat. After a couple of emails I found out that there was an error in the records. My bid was $400 and I didn't place another one because the bat is too short and doesn't match records.

I would guess that the change was made sometime in the last week or so because I originally checked the records just after the bat was listed and it showed that he ordered some of the 34" length in 1956. I then placed my bid. I'm glad I didn't bid any higher now that the records have been corrected.

Tim Byington
www.tjsportsmn.com (http://www.tjsportsmn.com)

ChrisCavalier
06-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Hi Ya'll,

I'm confused! I checked the bat player chart at this site earlier in the week and thought I saw where Eddie Mathews ordered some 34", 32oz. S2 bats in the mid-1950's (I think it was either 1955 or 1956). I seem to recall that one order was for an all-star bat and the other was for regular season bats. Based on that info, I just won a 34" S2 Ed Mathews bat on ebay (item #8829655966). The seller said that a "generous hobby expert" suggested the bat is from 1960-64. Based on the width of the REG US PAT OFF stamping and the location of the 125, I believe the bat is from 1950-60. You can probably now see why I was willing to buy this bat - I thought I discovered a 1950's Eddie Mathews pro model bat that matchedsfactory records for length.

So, naturally I decided to re-visit the Ed Mathews bat player chart and print a copy to keep with the bat. Much to my surprise, the 34" S2 bat order no longer appears in the chart. Finally, here's my question. Was the bat player chart for Eddie Mathews revised sometime within the past week, or did I just mis-read the chart earlier in the week?

Thanks,
Kevin
Hello Kevin,

As to your question, the Mathews chart was revised yesterday after research was done by Mike Specht and Jim Caravello based on offline inquires to that particular chart. I personally was not aware of the eBay auction until this morning but that certainly helps explain why the inquires were taking place.

Notably, the way the 34" S2 bats in 1956 were presented on the GUU site matched exactly the information provided in the charts sent to us by Vince Malta. In fact, Mike Specht and I spoke with Vince this morning and confirmed the error occurred in the original data accumulation process and not in any transposition of data onto the site. As a side note, the chart will be corrected prior to the book's publication and certainly underscores one of the reasons why it is taking so long to bring the book to market. That is, the data accumulation phase is very arduous and tedious and we all want to make sure the information provided to collectors in as accurate as possible.

As for the fact that you bid in the auction based on information from the online chart on GUU, we want you to know that we are 100% committed to what we have also said. That is, we have been created to help the collecting community and, in this case, we will do whatever it takes if you made the purchase based on inaccurate information from the site. While ironically the seller's revised description in the eBay auction (which I believe was very accurate) was based on information the seller requested and received from our own Mike Specht, we understand that you may not have read the revised description when placing your bid.

As such, we have contacted the seller (who, by the way, is also a member of the GUU site) and have requested a call to discuss the situation. At the end of the day, Game Used Universe will do whatever it takes to make sure you do not have to go into your pocket for a bid you placed based on inaccurate information from our site. It is our way of showing our commitment to act as an advocate for our members.

BTW, this situation is a perfect example of why Game Used Universe exists. I can tell you from personal experience that there aren't that many companies out there that put the collector first. In fact, I am going through a personal situation right now (I can't share the specifics at the moment) where I made a purchase based on information I received that has been proven to be inaccurate. However, rather than the company making the situation right, they are not accepting the responsibility I believe is due me, the collector, who trusted them.

To this point, I can tell you that Game Used Universe is different from other companies. We were created by collectors, for collectors. Unlike other companies, rather than leaving you out in the cold and denying any responsibility, we will make sure the right thing is done. I will report back to let everyone know the outcome once the situation is resolved. Kevin, until then, simply rest assured that we will do whatever it takes to make the situation right for you.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier
CEO - Game Used Universe

b.heagy
06-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Pure professionalism from all sides. This is great to see. Kevin handling the news so well, Chris making every effort to resolve the situation, and the sellers honesty. You are all class acts in my opinion.

Bill

JimCaravello
06-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Yes - please see my thread posted in the Game Used Memorabilia Section............

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=3328

ChrisCavalier
07-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Hello Everyone,

As promised, I wanted to provide an update on this situation. The net result is:

a) Kevin has been refunded his money,
b) The bat was sold to the under-bidder at the price he would have bid if Kevin were not involved with the auction, and
c) We have provided the seller with a payment for any lost revenue he would have otherwise forfeited by eliminating Kevin's bid.

I want to personally thank Kevin and Thad (the seller) for the patience and consideration they exhibited throughout the process. They are both members of this site and, given their ethics and professionalism, we are proud to have them as part of our community.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier
CEO - Game Used Universe