PDA

View Full Version : One item verus many which would you rather have?

legaleagle92481
01-26-2010, 04:37 PM
I am mulling selling almost my entire collection (other than a few will never part with items) and buying one or two huge big ticket items. Right now I have 100s of items worth between $30 and $2,500 each made up of autographs and game used items. What are your folks thoughts on this? Which would you rather have?

MLB_Authentic
01-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Quality over quantity.

mbenga28
01-26-2010, 04:44 PM
i'd rather just own one valuable piece, forbid you are ever in a fire or disaster at least you could haul that out.

Jags Fan Dan
01-26-2010, 04:45 PM
I agree. I only have so much display space. I'd take one really good piece over 10 mediocre-ok pieces any day.

joelsabi
01-26-2010, 04:50 PM
I am mulling selling almost my entire collection (other than a few will never part with items) and buying one or two huge big ticket items. Right now I have 100s of items worth between $30 and $2,500 each made up of autographs and game used items. What are your folks thoughts on this? Which would you rather have?

Go where your passion goes. If those 100 or so items are not interesting you as much as the big ticket item, go for the big ticket item.

It depends too. As you know, its not all about the dollar value. I have $40 item that give me as much interest as a $500 item so I think it depends on what keeps you interested.

dcgreg25
01-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I also vote quality over quantity. As my collection has matured I have tried to sell off some of the quantity for quality but it is an ongoing process. The hard part is timing selling off your collection for the perfect big ticket item(s) because I am sure you would not want to sell off everything just to "settle" for an item of a player that is not at the top of your list. Whenever I have bought something I liked, but did not "have to have", I often have regretted it. Best of luck with your decision!

staindsox
01-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Go with smaller items. If you cash it all in for one big ticket item, it isn't really an active collection anymore. Would you then only add to your collection once or twice a year? Or maybe not even that often? I personally don't have fun collecting if I can add to my collection every now and then. It is easier to do that with lower budget items.

Chris

CampWest
01-26-2010, 05:19 PM
I want to tweak and combine what others are saying:

Quality of enjoyment over quantity of items. If you enjoy having a lot of items from a lot of players and few if any superstar Hall of Famers, then stay where you are. If you would rather have a couple of holy grail type items, then go for it.

I would like to have a bat from every 1985 Kansas City Royal. That would be an enjoyable quantity - and obviously George Brett is in there, so some quality as well...
If I had a team set from 1985 would I keep that or move it to make a down payment on say a nice Ted Williams gamer... Thats up for you to decide.

I'll just say: Right now I have about 45+- bats - ranging between $30 and $250 mostly on the lower end. I'm giving a lot of thought to selling most of them to see if I can raise enough money to buy a good George Brett gamer.

Can't tell ya what I'd do with your collection, but I can just tell you that you are not alone in the quandry.

Just be advised, wives often think 40 bats at $50 each are okay, but one at $2000 is ridiculous... granted the accountant in me has to point out $2000 is $2000 regardless of quantity. ;)

WadeInBmore
01-26-2010, 05:31 PM
legal,

I'll hop on the quality bandwagen...however, as time passes you're bound to build on the quantity of that said quality collection...if that makes sense. Which then means, perhaps you'll have to revist this thread/concept in twenty years, god willing :D

If you have any Frank Thomas items to move, let me know (couldn't resist).

be well

wade

Jags Fan Dan
01-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Go with smaller items. If you cash it all in for one big ticket item, it isn't really an active collection anymore. Would you then only add to your collection once or twice a year? Or maybe not even that often? I personally don't have fun collecting if I can add to my collection every now and then. It is easier to do that with lower budget items.

Chris
I only add to my collection a few times a year. I will no longer add for the sake of adding. I have become very particular. But it does get to be tiring waiting and searching for a piece I am interested in. But the hunt, for me, is part of the fun! It makes it that much more exciting when I do find a piece I like enough to add.

Manram
01-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Quality come first

metsbats
01-26-2010, 08:48 PM
I agree with quality. I'm focusing on post season bats and once I get one post season bat I sell the couple of regular season gamers I have of that particular player.

mariner_gamers
01-26-2010, 09:31 PM
I will/could never have a few quality items that will even begin to compare to what several millionaire collectors already have. For me I wanted to build something no one else has. My collection is a mix of what people consider quality and what many would consider junk. Right now, as far as I know, it is the the most comprehensive Mariners bat collection in the world.

Manram
01-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Bats that are expensive retain value or go up, while the no name bats(Quantity bats) eventually get forgotten and lose value

spartakid
01-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Quality as well as the fact that a good example of a player's bat is important. Some people really want a certain player and don't exercise quality control. Such as one person I know who bought a Hanley Ramirez bat, without tape, no H2R, and it was broken in two lengthways across the centerband.

Aloving77
01-27-2010, 01:24 AM
In the end, the decision will have to be yours. You'll have to decide if the few items you plan to purchase will be as important to you as the many items that you have now. You'll have to decide if you'd rather purchase cheaper items frequently or purchase more expensive items less frequently. Is your current collection displayed? Would the display look good if it was significantly smaller? Just make sure that you give this decision plenty of time and thought. I've narrowed my collection before and there are a few items that I really regret selling. There are plenty of others that I'm glad I sold.

MarinersFan34
01-27-2010, 09:50 AM
It all depends on your collecting focus and what matters to you. I collect the Mariners and sure most of the stuff I have is what most would consider scrub players and thats fine because I like them. That is what I collect, It's not a popularity contest we're going for here. Collect what makes you happy.

I was actually going to post something eluding to Davis' collection. He has hundreds of bats and many of them are no name players like Greg Pirkl. That bat by itself is just probably considered quantity but added to the whole collection with all the others you have quality.

I prefer quantity with some quality mixed in. Why choose just one side?

Chris78
01-27-2010, 10:24 AM
With quality, if you have one item and the price declines or you can't get what you paid for it, you lose big time. On the flip side, if it goes up you can make a quick buck.

With quantity, some of the items may eventually become much bigger and better items than they were before, and have much more value than what they were worth when you bought them. Normally you did not spend that much to begin with and the value probably can't get much lower.

In other words, risk takers would more likely say quality, and also people that buy and sell a lot of this board, where being more cautious and looking at the future you might say quantity (people that may not be selling their collection) or people that collect a certain player or team.

I agree with the person that says have a little bit of both.

Chris

legaleagle92481
01-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks for all of your opinions. I have opted for the big item and I have the cash to cover it but I do not want to tie up so much money in collectibles. So what I will do is put alot of the rest of my collection up for grabs. I am keeping a handful of my best items the rest will be sold if any of you guys are interested you can email me for a list at justinw.smiloff@yahoo.com I will name the item as soon as the deal is completed which I expect to be sometime today.

costas
01-29-2010, 11:44 AM
congratulations legaleagle92481 on your acquisiton.

jhunt28
01-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all of your opinions. I have opted for the big item and I have the cash to cover it but I do not want to tie up so much money in collectibles. So what I will do is put alot of the rest of my collection up for grabs. I am keeping a handful of my best items the rest will be sold if any of you guys are interested you can email me for a list at justinw.smiloff@yahoo.com I will name the item as soon as the deal is completed which I expect to be sometime today.

Sent you an email...

legaleagle92481
02-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Well the big purchase did not pan out as I felt the item was slightly overpriced and someone else bought it instead at the seller's final asking price. However I am making a series of smaller big purchases I started with a Drew Brees game used jersey so I am still selling much of my collection to finance such purchases. I sent a list of items to those who requested it earlier this morning if your interested in seeing it and did not email me feel free to at justinw.smiloff@yahoo.com.

10thMan
02-01-2010, 12:45 PM
I would vote Quality before quantity anytime, with the exception of value. I`m probably gonna sell a few Gamers I`ve had for a long time. Gwynn/V. Guerrero/Glaus/Mac/K. Caminiti. I`ll prolly keep my 2 best Gwynn Gamers & the Mac, depends on the Market.

Quality!

Sean tempbreak@hotmail.com