PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Input on buying some game used bats.

stealth
01-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Hello! Though I not new to collecting, I don't know much about how much some game used bats may go for or what kind of value they will have in the future.

In attaching some photos of some bats a local guy is selling. I need some input on which items would be good deals to buy from him and just a ball park figure of what the bat is worth.

I thank you in advance for any input and help you can give me!

joelsabi
01-25-2010, 05:48 PM
theres a nelson fox bat that says flamed tempered. that would be a store model bat.

joelsabi
01-25-2010, 05:53 PM
the griffey 1996 H&B Bicentennial Bat is a good demand bat because of the special stamp.

I would read this thread:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=32294&highlight=bicentennial

joelsabi
01-25-2010, 05:56 PM
I would be interested to know what some of these bats are too. What is a bat that says "Pro treated". Looks like a store model bat.

GoTigers
01-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Is the seller passing all of these off as game used? They are almost all store models, if you could attach pictures of the knobs it'd help.

joelsabi
01-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Is the seller passing all of these off as game used? They are almost all store models, if you could attach pictures of the knobs it'd help.

The Sammy Sosa bat is a commemorative bat.

xpress34
01-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Dependignon what you are or are not buying, I am interested in better pics of the Hank Bauer bat. Looks like it's autographed as well.

- Chris

earlywynnfan
01-25-2010, 07:14 PM
I, too, would like to see more of the bauer; it looks like the real deal. What is on the knob?

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

earlywynnfan
01-25-2010, 07:19 PM
The frank thomas looks good, too, depending on the model numbers on the knob, it'd be a $250-300 bat.

Is that a brown Willie Stargell? Run the model number, length and weight by us. And what's the top bat in the pic with the bauer? It looks like a last-name only, but I can't see what it is.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

legaleagle92481
01-25-2010, 08:05 PM
I am not a bat expert so I will not opine on the authenticity of the bats but the image dates are over 2.5 years ago so I would ask for more recent pics alot can happen to items in that time.

xpress34
01-25-2010, 08:09 PM
BTW - also interested in the Chas Gehringer Bat... if you're not buying the lot that is... ;)

- Chris

stealth
01-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Thank you guys for all your input. The guy who owns this bats is not trying to pass all this bats as game used. He said some are and some are not. I was interested in some of the bats but really did not know too much about them. I got his info froma local add and contacted him. Ill see if I can get more clear pictures on some of the bats. Thanks again for all of yall's help!

stealth
01-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Forgot one more thing. Educate me a little. How can I tell apart real game used bats from non used. I love collecting but could use some help on identifying whether bats are gamers or not. Thanks!

Manram
01-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Forgot one more thing. Educate me a little. How can I tell apart real game used bats from non used. I love collecting but could use some help on identifying whether bats are gamers or not. Thanks!

You look for things like ball marks, leather transfers, rack marks, seam impressions, etc

stealth
01-25-2010, 10:12 PM
BTW - also interested in the Chas Gehringer Bat... if you're not buying the lot that is... ;)

- Chris

Chris I see you with the Ryan Express and Rangers gear. Are you in the DFW area?

10thMan
01-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Stealth, visit websites like birdbats dot com, learn to differentiate between store model & professional model gamers. Click on "identifying gamers" This is a big first step. Labeling/knob stampings are basic indicators that will help you. Then you might get into hall of fame (ordering) Records of Players, things such as length & weight will be another concern. hofbats dot com may also have some info, Tim is great to deal with at hofbats.

Good luck, have fun with it. Make sure & "do your homework" before you lay out any Cash.

Feel free to email me anytime, I may be able to help. I have HOF Ordering records of quite a few Players.

Sean tempbreak@hotmail

stealth
01-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Stealth, visit websites like birdbats dot com, learn to differentiate between store model & professional model gamers. Click on "identifying gamers" This is a big first step. Labeling/knob stampings are basic indicators that will help you. Then you might get into hall of fame (ordering) Records of Players, things such as length & weight will be another concern. hofbats dot com may also have some info, Tim is great to deal with at hofbats.

Good luck, have fun with it. Make sure & "do your homework" before you lay out any Cash.

Feel free to email me anytime, I may be able to help. I have HOF Ordering records of quite a few Players.

Sean tempbreak@hotmail

Thanks so much for the input Sean. This is exactly the type of help I was looking for. If I ever have any questions don't mind if I drop you an email.

Thanks!

10thMan
01-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Feel free to Email, there`s a ton to learn about Game used Bats. Surprisingly, when you get the "Basics" figured out, then you have to learn about the Players "Use Characteristics" Was/is he a Label up/down Hitter, how Pine Tar was applied, knob writing can be from several sources, players/equip. managers etc...

There are people (both men & women) on here that have a ton of knowledge about players & their Equip.

Sean

Manram
01-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Feel free to Email, there`s a ton to learn about Game used Bats. Surprisingly, when you get the "Basics" figured out, then you have to learn about the Players "Use Characteristics" Was/is he a Label up/down Hitter, how Pine Tar was applied, knob writing can be from several sources, players/equip. managers etc...

There are people (both men & women) on here that have a ton of knowledge about players & their Equip.

Sean

We all are still learning new things every day

xpress34
01-26-2010, 12:59 AM
Chris I see you with the Ryan Express and Rangers gear. Are you in the DFW area?

Stealth -

Not since '91! I was born in Waco, grew up in Garland - attended Texas Tech and UNT and moved to Colorado in '91 with the 1st wife and the USAF. Been here ever since.

I'm guessing you're there? I'll be at both Rockies and Rangers Spring Training in about a month...

- Chris

suave1477
01-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Most of the bats are retail bats.

Looks like there might be one or 2 actual game used bats in there but then my next question would be why would a couple of game used bats be mixed into a bunch of retails. Unless possibly they are retail themselves.

Definitely post some more pics of the knobs and the branding labels that would help.