PDA

View Full Version : Padres Question

Jayworld
01-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Pleaes bear with me guys on these questions.

Everyone has been so very helpful since I joined this forum last summer. I have collected mostly game used/game issued Southwest Conference football jerseys/helmets and San Diego Padres (baseball). I am continually educating myself on these forums concerning what's out there, what's available, prices (what to expect to pay for player-x, etc.).

As I only collect San Diego Padres items from the 1975-84 period (baseball speaking), I wanted to see what I should expect jerseys of this time period to sell for, as well as helmets, bats, etc. I have a few things in my collection which have cost me little as I was lucky enough at the time to buy from the Padres (back before memorabilia began to skyrocket).

What would I expect to pay for a game-used Randy Jones jersey (any year), cap, or bat? I've seen jersey dealers online with Padres prices from the 1978-80 era offer jerseys in the $200-$450 range, regardless of player (excluding, of course, Winfield). I know that the gold alternates from 1978 command a higher price, as I understand them to be rare.

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated, as I budget carefully for the few purchases I do make.

Thanks,
Jay

MSpecht
01-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Hi Jay---

You are pretty much in the ballpark with the $200 - $450 jersey price range for those years---As you point out, Winfield (and Ozzie) are going to command a premium, as well as any HOF players who passed through (Perry, Fingers, McCovey, etc.) You may pay an extra hundred dollars or so for Randy, but probably only in San Diego. If you can find one of his bats, expect to pay $ 150 or so. There also is a significant premium on the 1984 Padres N L Championship / 1st World Series year for everything, regardless of player.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

sox83cubs84
01-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Any 1978 Padres GU jersey that DOESN'T feature multiple missing items or restored items is very hard to find. Wayne Otto bought the run of 1978s from the team in the 1980s, but only after they had been wrung through the minor league ringer. Nearly all of these were missing NOBs, the tiny "SAN DIEGO" on the right chest, and the All-Star patch.

sox83cubs84
01-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Any 1978 Padres GU jersey that DOESN'T feature multiple missing items or restored items is very hard to find. Wayne Otto bought the run of 1978s from the team in the 1980s, but only after they had been wrung through the minor league ringer. Nearly all of these were missing NOBs, the tiny "SAN DIEGO" on the right chest, and the All-Star patch.

Should be wringer, not ringer...2-minute edit button, where are you?:confused:

Dave M.
Chicago area

Jayworld
01-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Thanks very much, Mike and Dave, for the information thus far. Very helpful! Who is Wayne Otto?

Is there a good source, concerning reputable dealers, for Padres jerseys in the timeframe I'm looking? I've seen a few on Blue Chip Sports, but they were all sold. I would really like to locate a Randy Jones jersey at some point.

Thanks,
Jay

rose14
01-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Dave is correct as most of the jerseys from that era were sent to the minors. There were a few exceptions, as I used to have a 1978 Dave Winfield Alternate and a 1978 Mickey Lolich Alternate as well as a 1979 Ozzie Smith road and 1979 Dave Winfield home game used jersey. These jerseys came from the collection of the long time traveling secretary for the Padres, John "Doc" Mattei. He gathered these and some others before the Padres sent them down for use with their minor league team for his collection.

sox83cubs84
01-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks very much, Mike and Dave, for the information thus far. Very helpful! Who is Wayne Otto?

Thanks,
Jay

Wayne Otto runs Pro-Am Sports in Boone, NC. Mostly positive reviews about his sales procedures, although he has a few detractors. Do your homework when buying from him...not so much for authenticity issues as for the fact that he appears to be a terrible researcher....items are sometimes mis-dated and mis-identified.

Dave M.
Chicago area

Jayworld
02-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Where would I go/navigate to to find a Randy Jones jersey? I'm sure that there must be examples out there, as he played for over six seasons. I did see a rare alternate gold 1978 Jones jersey on ebay about 2 years ago, but went for much higher than I could afford at the time.

Thanks,
Jay