PDA

View Full Version : 76 Reds Team Index Bats

SSB15
06-22-2006, 08:30 PM
I was told that the Reds ordered team index bats in 1976 that were similar to the gift shop bats. What was the weight of the 1976 Bench team index bats? What was the weight of the 1976 Bench gift shop bats?

Thanks for the help.

Scott

JimCaravello
06-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Hi Scott - I don't believe we have the Reds team indexed or Gift Shop bat records. Maybe Mike can help out here if he has additional insight. I have seen promotional bats like the gift shop bats you are referring to where the weights have been both more and less than what the player would order. Sorry I don't have much info here for you - Mike or anyone else, can you help Scott out here? Jim - jcaravello@nc.rr.com

MSpecht
06-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Hi Scott---

Unfortunately I do not have the Reds 1976 Team Index order records or the Reds' gift shop information. Here is Bench's info from 1976 however :

Eleven separate orders as follows;

A99C -- 1 order 35.5 inches / 33 ounces Hickory Finish 12 bats

B278 -- 1 order 35 inches / 33 ounces Flame Treated Finish 35 inches / 33 ounces

B278C -- 6 orders all 35.5 inches and 32, 32.5, or 33 ounces....most have Flame Treated Finish with no finish on handle

B316 --1 order 35.5 inches / 33 ounces 6 bats

Mc44 -- 1 order 35 inches / 32 ounces no finish on handle 6 bats

R43 -- 1 order 35.5 inches / 34 ounces no finish on handle 12 bats

Note-- I believe that gift shop bats would most likely have been Model R43 bats, which is Bench's Pro Stock model with H & B. If that is the case, I also think it unlikely that gift shop bats would have been ordered in 1/2 inch increment -- they would most likely have been either 34 inches or 35 inches ...Also, in general, most gift bats, promo bats, show bats, etc, if no specific weight is designated, are shipped with a relatively light weight, I also believe that the gift shop bats would likely be shipped in Natural Finish, and not have "no finish" on the handles. So, basically, I believe that the gift shop bats would have likely been Model R43, with some type of finish (probably natural) on the entire bat, and would not be consistent with 35.5 inches / 34 ounces .. ...therefore would not match Bench's documented records and would likely be distinguishable from professional model bats he actually ordered for his personal game use... The records are accurate above, and the rest is what I believe are logical assumptions, but don't take the assumptions as 100% gospel.... they are just food for thought.

Good luck.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

SSB15
06-24-2006, 07:00 AM
Thank you for the information. Very informative...

Scott