PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training: Who's going?

kylehess10
01-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Who's all going? I'm still putting the final touches on my first trip to Spring Training, but here are the 3 games I should be attending:

Braves vs. Tigers March 19th

Astros vs. Yankees March 20th

Braves vs. Cardinals March 21st

Anybody able to give me some tips for the Braves & Astros complex when it comes to autographs? I'm bringing a lot of poster-sized prints of each player to get autographed. This will be my first time down there so I'll need to know where the best spot is to stand to get some 'graphs.

Also, I upgraded all my camera equipment. I have a new professional lens and even a new camera. It gives the same image quality as the full-resolution images you would find on Getty & AP. It's going to come in handy when Spring Training equipment comes available, and finding Spring Training photos to find photomatches are rare. If anybody wants to request a certain player they would like pictures of, then feel free to do so! I'm going to these games to take pictures more than to watch the game.

Dewey2007
01-25-2010, 01:10 AM
Who's all going? I'm still putting the final touches on my first trip to Spring Training, but here are the 3 games I should be attending:

Braves vs. Tigers March 19th

Astros vs. Yankees March 20th

Braves vs. Cardinals March 21st

Anybody able to give me some tips for the Braves & Astros complex when it comes to autographs? I'm bringing a lot of poster-sized prints of each player to get autographed. This will be my first time down there so I'll need to know where the best spot is to stand to get some 'graphs.

Also, I upgraded all my camera equipment. I have a new professional lens and even a new camera. It gives the same image quality as the full-resolution images you would find on Getty & AP. It's going to come in handy when Spring Training equipment comes available, and finding Spring Training photos to find photomatches are rare. If anybody wants to request a certain player they would like pictures of, then feel free to do so! I'm going to these games to take pictures more than to watch the game.

Kyle, if you have some nice shots you like of the players you are trying to get autos from you should bring a few extras. Maybe the players would be willing to trade you a bat or something in exchange for a photo. Just a thought.

xpress34
01-25-2010, 02:28 AM
If anybody wants to request a certain player they would like pictures of, then feel free to do so! I'm going to these games to take pictures more than to watch the game.

Kyle -

Enjoy your 1st ST... it's a great experience! I'm still planning out my 2010 ST trip... this will be my 8th year going... but mine will be Cactus League in Arizona as the family (3 bothers and Mom) all live in Tucson and Phoenix...

I would VERY much appreciate any photos of Tony LaRussa, Pujols, Matt Holliday and Mark McGwire as the Cards are here early at Coors Field this year. If you can send me 'proofs' to choose from and prices, that would be awesome! Also, 'if' Larry Walker is there - I've heard he's mad e a few ST appearances with the Cards, I'd like one of him too.

Again - enjoy the experience!

All the best -

Chris

coxfan
01-25-2010, 06:53 AM
All my experience with the Braves and Astros' homes are from spring training of 2005 and 2006. Our experience with the Braves' complex was that the Braves are great signers, with signings mainly going on before the game at their dugout. You needed a ball to toss to them as it's not easy to get other items to the dugout. Sometimes visiting teams will sign at their dugouts as well. Occasionally, regulars like Chipper will interact with fans as they come out of the game around the 5th inning, but it's usually only briefly with kids.

However, the two Cardinal games we attended showed the Cards as very poor signers at Vero Beach, where you could walk right up to the players since there were no dugouts. ( Unfortunately, Vero Beach is no longer home to the Dodgers.) We didn't go to the Cards' home or see them play elsewhere. At Vero Beach, LaRussa simply walked right by auto-seekers without even waving or speaking, much less signing. I think his attitude affected the whole team, though 3B coach Oquendo was great with auto's and likes to talk to fans. Schumaker also signed readily, but nobody else did on the Cards even though the Dodgers signed readily.

The Astros' complex is fairly friendly to signers, around both dugouts. You can also have a crack at BP balls at a practice field near the main stadium, accessible just past the parking lot. The Astro's also sold a g-u item or two at charity auctions on the concourse and in their stadium store, though the items were from spring training. Once the game starts, the Astros are strict about staying in your seats or in the concourse ( not visible from the field), because their stadium is small.

I didn't see any g-u items for sale by the Braves. Their stadium is very fan-friendly, with a concourse similar to Turner Field where you can stand and watch the game; plus a grassy berm. They sold out three of the four games we saw. Ordering in advance is thus advisable. They're great in giving a quick credit-card refund if rained out, since spring training usually does that rather than rain-checks.

sugarpam
01-25-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm heading down to my third Spring Training this year. A week away from the Canadian winter, following my beloved Blue Jays - couldn't ask for anything more!

I've got tickets for seven games:
-Rays @ Jays
-Jays @ Pirates
-Orioles @ Jays
-Tigers @ Jays
-Jays @ Yankees
-Jays @ Phillies
-Yankees @ Jays

And I think we're goint to throw in a Tampa Bay Lightning game while we're down there.

I booked my trip in November, and have been (not so) patiently waiting for March to roll around ever since.

I have no doubt you'll have a great time Kyle, and I'm sure you'll come back with A TON of great photos!

-Pam

suave1477
01-25-2010, 08:58 AM
I go every year to the Yankees in Tampa. Still planning my trip this year. But should be going.

grenda12
01-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Ill be out in Glendale March 5-15th!

BMH
01-25-2010, 11:14 AM
I'll be in Arizona Feb. 22nd through sometime in March. Haven't decided when to come back yet.

platinum1
01-25-2010, 11:16 AM
I'll be in Arizona Feb. 22nd through sometime in March. Haven't decided when to come back yet.
LUCKY!!

Rob L
01-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Finalizing a trip to check out the Angels in March.

mariner_gamers
01-25-2010, 11:33 AM
I live just outside downtown Phoenix and will be attending games all over the valley this year. Several in Peoria, out in Goodyear to see the Reds, Tempe Diablo twice for the Angels and probably the A's or Giants.

whatupyos
01-25-2010, 11:38 AM

Brian,

Why would you ever want to come back???? LOL I love it in AZ. :D

Aaron

xpress34
01-25-2010, 11:44 AM
BMH and all others going to AZ... I don't have my dates yet - the wife and I are going to Sin City the last weekend of February and then I will be going on furlough (Laid Off) - but job attached with Unemployment Benes - so I may do an extended ST this year. I usually do a week, might do 2 this year.

I'll let you all know my dates - maybe we can meet up at some games or for a drink after... I will have to do Hi Corbett for the Rox last ST in Tucson and then will be hitting the Rangers for sure and Probably the Angels, Dodgers, White Sox and Mariners.

All the best -

Chris

markfd
01-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Headed down to Viera for the 5th consecutive year. I am doing something different this year and heading down the week full team workouts start as opposed to exhibition games.

Kyle, you are really missing out by not taking in a game at the Astros facility it is my favorite, easy access to both teams and great sight lines for photos. The braves facility is awesome but not very good for getting stuff signed. I enjoyed watching a game at the Tigers facility but did not have much luck with autographs there either.

murfsteve25
01-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Anybody able to give me some tips for the Braves & Astros complex when it comes to autographs? This will be my first time down there so I'll need to know where the best spot is to stand to get some 'graphs.
Kyle, Your going to have an amazing time at the Braves complex! My first time going was back in 2005. I'd much rather go to a spring training game than a regular season game.

Inside the stadium, a great spot to stand in down the first base line. Specifically, where the infield dirt and outfield grass meet. Players usually come over and sign after pre game throwing and running.

Outside the stadium, a really good spot to stand is behind the right field wall. Players usually drive/walk past you on the way inside the stadium and you can get auto's there. Youll be standing behing home plate of one of the practice fields. I've attached a pic with an arrow pointing to this spot, if the pic turns out too small then i will try and email it to you.

Also, If you have time id REALLY recommend taking an entire day out and spend it at the practice fields. Watching the minor leaguers practice is pretty cool. I did this once and i was the only fan there. I sat on the bleachers behind home plate and watched BP. I chased foul balls all around the field too. No competition. You'd also get some GREAT pics too.

murfsteve25
01-25-2010, 07:05 PM
[quote=murfsteve25;183207]
Outside the stadium, a really good spot to stand is behind the right field wall.quote]
ooops...looks more like the right/centerfield wall

xmensports
01-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Kyle,

The Astros facility is laid out pretty well. One of the smaller ST stadiums. I'll be in town the same weekend.

The Yankees game will be crowded with standing room only tickets also being sold for that game. Photos wont be a problem. Yankee autos are tough generally anyway but most people rush in as soon as the gates open and lineup down the rightfield corner where the visiting teams enter.

The Astros side is much more auto friendly. Generally the players come out and sign prior to and/or after they quit playing, down in the leftfield corner. Berkman has been tough to get at games for some reason. He does sign on the teams off days if he's at the facility training.

Calvin
calvinward@charter.net

lehmsbobby
01-25-2010, 10:23 PM
ill be going down on two seperate, short trips...

games march 12-14 in tucson dbacks friday saturday, rockies sunday

and march 27-29 in scottsdale following the giants saturday sunday something else monday...

can't wait, been going the past few years and always come up with tons of autographs and a game used piece or two... even got to batboy for the giants last year... and see the stars at Don and Charlies in scottsdale, like my great sighting of muhammed ali:D

BMH
01-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Brian,

Why would you ever want to come back???? LOL I love it in AZ. :D

Aaron

I do like Arizona, much better than the Florida trip. We stay in the same resort (head rep's sister is manager) the Angel's stay in. We leave for one night to Tucson. Very nice golf course...guess that would do me a lot more good if I played golf.

You also got to remember, I do love baseball but it is a job. I don't get to ask for autos, pics or anything of that nature. I know some other guys do but I'm there for business. We hit the clubhouse and try getting out of there as soon as possible. The wife is coming with me this time so it should be a lot more fun this year.

OaklandAsFan
01-25-2010, 11:27 PM
I do like Arizona, much better than the Florida trip. We stay in the same resort (head rep's sister is manager) the Angel's stay in. We leave for one night to Tucson. Very nice golf course...guess that would do me a lot more good if I played golf.

You also got to remember, I do love baseball but it is a job. I don't get to ask for autos, pics or anything of that nature. I know some other guys do but I'm there for business. We hit the clubhouse and try getting out of there as soon as possible. The wife is coming with me this time so it should be a lot more fun this year.

My mother used to stay at that resort as well before she moved here. several years ago Chone Figgons was in the room under hers and I have seen the Molina bros come and go as well while they were with the Angels. Its a really nice place, have you ever had the burger from the restaurant there? It is excellent.

kylehess10
01-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks everyone for the tips! I can't wait!

CampWest
01-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Just starting to make arrangements for my trip, my sister-in-law is getting married in Scottsdale on 3/27. So, I am trying to find my dates to extend my trip either forward or backwards a few days to allow a little more time for golf and spring training.

Anyhow, look for me sometime between 3/24 and 3/31!

:D :D :D

momen55
01-28-2010, 10:41 AM
pam;
drop me an email or call me. perhaps we can meet up at the pirates or yankees games.

panthrotc
01-28-2010, 03:43 PM
ill be goin down from the 13-21 of march to Jupiter to see my man Big Mac. Ill be bringing down my 98 gamer in hopes of getting it signed. Hopefully i can get an auto of Pujols as well. If i come home with just the bat, it will be all worth it.

sugarpam
01-28-2010, 03:56 PM
pam;
drop me an email or call me. perhaps we can meet up at the pirates or yankees games.

Sounds good, responded to your PM :)

-Pam

stlbats
01-28-2010, 08:15 PM
I used to go down to FL every year before my kids got into school. Very awesome time. I have been right when workouts begin and also during games. I can say without a doubt, if your going for autographs and interaction with players, go right when the full squad workouts begin. The Cardinals players in Jupiter are very accessible and will sign all day back on the practice fields. Once the games start, most of the stadiums are pretty crowded. The Cardinals, Red Sox and Yankees especially are very crowded and tough for autos.

All of ST is great though, wish I could still go.

Jason

flota89
01-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Does anyone know where to go to get autos from players coming in at the Cardinals spring training? I will be there this year.

stlbats
01-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Does anyone know where to go to get autos from players coming in at the Cardinals spring training? I will be there this year.

What time of ST are you going?

If you go right when ST starts, the couple of weeks before games begin, you need to go to the practice fields. They are behind the main stadium, Roger Dean Stadium. You should get there around 7-8am. The players will start coming out back there around 8-9am., some earlier. They will stretch as a group and then break up to different fields. Most will sign as they walk from field to field. You can also get some at the end of the day, around 1-2pm as the players leave the facility. This is the best time to go for autos.

If you go after games begin, then you need to be down the right field line in the berm area. They have a section of it roped off for 14 yr and under only, but there is room down the line. Some will sign as they come into the field in the right field corner and then most stars will sign on their way out of the field, around the 3rd-5th innings. Its is also possible to get some players out at the Prac fields before the game, but you cant do this and get a good spot inside too. Its a great facility and a lot of fun, but after games begin, its tough for autograph collectors.

Jason

flota89
01-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Do many players sign in just the "14 or under area"? I am a few years older than that lol.

stlbats
01-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Do many players sign in just the "14 or under area"? I am a few years older than that lol.

They seem to start in that area, but most will work their way out on down the line. The several times I have been though, there are a ton of people. You have to buy berm tickets and rush in to get a good spot. Much much easier before games begin, when there is only about 30-50 people to deal with. Right around Feb. 20-25 seems to be best.

Jason

warheel
01-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Getting to the Astros ST stadium can be a royal pain. Traffic can back up a very long way on 192 depending on what time you get there, and with the Yankees coming there it will indeed be packed. If you are planning on getting there early for autos it might not be a problem. If not look at google maps and consider coming in the back way off Boggy Creek Rd.

Going to Phillies/Rays on the 7th and Astros/Jays on the 9th...can't wait!

grenda12
01-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Just made the final arrangements for the spring training. I will be in AZ from March 3rd to the 11th.

White Sox Games attending:
Angels Thu, March 4
Dodgers Fri, March 5
Cubs Sun, March 7
Mariners Mon, March 8
Giants Tue, March 9
A's Wed, March 10

then at Surprise - Sat, March 6th to see Royals and Rangers

aaccee
02-09-2010, 05:51 AM
Could anyone give me the tips of Tigers stadium?

How can I get the autograph easier?

Thanks!
Li

allstarsplus
02-09-2010, 08:36 AM
With all the snow in Washington DC, I needed to make my Spring Training reservations.

I will be arriving March 26th with some friends and doing the Nationals in Orlando for the Braves on the 27th, then will head to Viera vs. the Braves on the 28th, and Monday the 29th vs. the Mets in Viera. I will then travel to see the St. Louis Cardinals @ NYM on March 30th.

flota89
02-09-2010, 08:38 AM
With all the snow in Washington DC, I needed to make my Spring Training reservations.

I will be arriving March 26th with some friends and doing the Nationals in Orlando for the Braves on the 27th, then will head to Viera vs. the Braves on the 28th, and Monday the 29th vs. the Mets in Viera. I will then travel to see the St. Louis Cardinals @ NYM on March 30th.
Ill be there for that Cards game on March 30th.

CampWest
02-09-2010, 05:05 PM
My plan is:
Wed 3/24 Royals at Angels in Tempe
Thurs 3/25 Mariners at Royals in Surprise - Split squad for Seattle though...
Friday 3/26 Royals at Dodgers in Surprise