PDA

View Full Version : Farve=Bill Buckner??

33bird
01-24-2010, 10:26 PM
How could he chance that pass when he had 10 yards to run and get a FG to win the game?..He's football's Bill Buckner now. Way to go Saints!

Manram
01-24-2010, 10:33 PM
He should have thrown that ball away, instead he got picked

mr.miracle
01-24-2010, 10:45 PM
How could he chance that pass when he had 10 yards to run and get a FG to win the game?..He's football's Bill Buckner now. Way to go Saints!

Bit of a different scenario but it was two years ago in OT when Bret launched that ridiculous floating pass against the Giants that was one of the stupidest things I have ever seen and punched the Giants ticket to the Super Bowl. It looked like then that Bret wanted to go back indoors to hit the showers and get some heat instead of being out on that field in subzero temperatures. Say what you will but in the biggest games, he has not exactly been money the last ten plus years.

camarokids
01-24-2010, 10:48 PM
You are sooo right. The Vikings had the game won. Then 12 men in the huddle cost them five yards, and then Brett threw the bad pass.....

Not to mention the two fumbles with in the Saints 10 yd line, how many points did they take away from themselves??? Plus all the other fumbles and interceptions, they beat themselves!

camarokids
01-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Forgot to mention:

GO COLTS!!!!!!!!!

schubert1970
01-24-2010, 11:46 PM
I feel sick for all the Viking fans. Being a
Bronco fan, I can understand the pain.

schubert1970
01-25-2010, 12:10 AM
http://www.purplepride.org/index.php/community/discussion/2-vikings-fan-forum/1035423-this-thread-is-rated-r

This was the funniest post I found on a Vikes message board. This poor soul better call the 24 hour suicide hot line.

jobathenut
01-25-2010, 12:26 AM
I agree with you 100%.I think that play call has to go down as the biggest bonehead play in the history of football and might even rank up there with all of sports.When he dropped back to pass i said "what the "badword" are you doing grandpa"?You got to be kidding me with that play call.But i am sure all vikes and favre lovers will say "yeah but if he completed it".Still a bad play to do that,even if you make it.It would be great to find out that thier coach ordered a running play from the dennys menu he looks at during the game.

calgrad1999
01-25-2010, 12:31 AM
On that bad ankle, he would have been lucky to get back to the original line of scrimmage. There were Saints in the vicinity and they would have closed fast. What was equally as stupid was running the two runs up the middle on 1st and 2nd down, as if they were on the 10 yd line.

Even if they try a 50 yd field goal. I'd say it's a coin-toss with Longwell kicking.

As an aside, I'm a huge Ryan Longwell fan and has hoping he would be the hero today. I saw him kick/punt in college. I also have a game-used Ryan Longwell college jersey.

mr.miracle
01-25-2010, 12:36 AM
On that bad ankle, he would have been lucky to get back to the original line of scrimmage. There were Saints in the vicinity and they would have closed fast. What was equally as stupid was running the two runs up the middle on 1st and 2nd down, as if they were on the 10 yd line.

Even if they try a 50 yd field goal. I'd say it's a coin-toss with Longwell kicking.

As an aside, I'm a huge Ryan Longwell fan and has hoping he would be the hero today. I saw him kick/punt in college. I also have a game-used Ryan Longwell college jersey.

Agreed, there is no guarentee that if Farve takes off there he is going anywhere. Having Longwell attempt a 50 yarder is no sure bet but the bottom line is at least you have a shot at that field goal instead of throwing the pick.

I by no means think that anything was a guarenteed thing at that point but a least don't throw the ball away.

cjw
01-25-2010, 01:18 AM
IF this is the end of the line for Favre...he comes into the league throwing a pick that goes for a TD (first pass attempt) and goes out throwing a pick that keeps him out of the SB. wow

Dewey2007
01-25-2010, 01:19 AM
I'm not a Favre fan but he is no Bill Buckner. He just picked the worst time to make his first real bad decision of an otherwise great season. It's the type of play you live and die with Favre as your QB. The Vikes don't even sniff the NFC Championship game without him this year.

Bad day all around for the 20K jersey QB's with Sanchez losing too. The Colts and Saints were the two best teams the entire season and hopefully the Super Bowl lives up to the hype.

Mat2786@aol.com
01-25-2010, 01:27 AM
Its amazing how fast people are to jump on one player. Did you guys not watch the game? He played one hell of a game he kept bring them back after all the turn overs. Peterson lost what 3 fumbles. Harvin lost a big fumble. Farve threw 2 interecptions. It should have never came down to that pass. I would say it was a team loss. Its a shame cause I believe they were the better team. Farve had an awsome season. He's 40 years old and showed this year that he is still arguably a top 5 QB in the league. He made all the players around him better. Thats what makes a great QB. He made a bad decision, I would have like to have seen how far tavaras could have gotten them. And a 50 plus yard kick is not a chip shot. It seems like all the kickers in football are choking this playoff season.

Matt

jobathenut
01-25-2010, 01:31 AM
No i did'nt watch the game,what happen?:rolleyes:
Its amazing how fast people are to jump on one player. Did you guys not watch the game? He played one hell of a game he kept bring them back after all the turn overs. Peterson lost what 3 fumbles. Harvin lost a big fumble. Farve threw 2 interecptions. It should have never came down to that pass. I would say it was a team loss. Its a shame cause I believe they were the better team. Farve had an awsome season. He's 40 years old and showed this year that he is still arguably a top 5 QB in the league. He made all the players around him better. Thats what makes a great QB. He made a bad decision, I would have like to have seen how far tavaras could have gotten them. And a 50 plus yard kick is not a chip shot. It seems like all the kickers in football are choking this playoff season.

Matt

TDKID
01-25-2010, 02:18 AM
I'm not a Favre fan but he is no Bill Buckner. He just picked the worst time to make his first real bad decision of an otherwise great season. It's the type of play you live and die with Favre as your QB. The Vikes don't even sniff the NFC Championship game without him this year.

Bad day all around for the 20K jersey QB's with Sanchez losing too. The Colts and Saints were the two best teams the entire season and hopefully the Super Bowl lives up to the hype.

I'm with you there on all counts, and couldn't have said it better !

ahuff
01-25-2010, 08:35 AM
I have watched Vikings games for a while now, thoguh I am not a Viking fan. My son and I watched most of the debacle that took place last night. All I can say, is that Favre was just the last one to make a bone head play. Coming out of college, I thought any team was lucky to get AP. Now I have to wonder. Is he not the greatest talent to ever suck so bad???? I mean, he can get tons of yards and TD's. But his hands will cost his team until he figures out how to hold onto the ball. Had he not fumbled in the red zone, the Viks go ahead before halftime, and they maintain the momentum. As it was, their inability to hold onto the football and score on that possession gave the momentum to the Saints long enough for them to stay in the game. This game has to leave a bitter taste in the mouths of both the Saints and the Viks. The Saints know they were not the better team, but their protection of the ball helped them advance to the big show. I would not want to know that we were not the betterr team when you have to play against the Colts. If you look at just stats, the Viks were the best team. Yet, their love of the turnover has them watching with the rest of us on Super Bowl Sunday.

I had AP last year in fantasy league, and many games he had 2 fumbles lost. What the stats didn't show was how many he put on the ground and either he or someone else on the Viks came up with so that it didn't count as a fumble lost (still talking about last season). He is the most frustrating talent in the game (in my very Humble opinion). But even in fumbles, he can show you what he can accomplish. Did you see the fumble that he had where he managed to get up and recover his own fumble - last night. That showed so much athletic ability and speed. I am still left speechless.

coxfan
01-25-2010, 08:36 AM
It's time to leave Buckner alone. I've seen him interviewed, and he's experienced an enormous amount of personal pain. He was playing hurt, and that may have cost him that extra fraction of a second reaction time and/or slightly impeded his bending over. People don't realize that public figures are people too.

cjclong
01-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Two things. First I agree with most of the posts that Farve's interception was a terrible play. He was throwing across his body to the middle of the field. He was lucky the ball wasn't run back so far back that the Saints could kick a field goal. He should have taken what he could get and maybe given his team a shot at a field goal. His flaw is he has faith in the strength of his arm over good judgment and it comes back to bite him. I think Aikman was correct in his opinion as an analyst. Second, I am not a Farve fan, but he showed a lot of courage playing on an injured foot or leg that obviously had to effect him.

TNTtoys
01-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Two things. First I agree with most of the posts that Farve's interception was a terrible play. He was throwing across his body to the middle of the field. He was lucky the ball wasn't run back so far back that the Saints could kick a field goal. He should have taken what he could get and maybe given his team a shot at a field goal.

Please tell me you're not serious with the field goal comment. Longwell may be a good kicker, but the field goal attempt would have been a 57 yarder!

That aside, my assessment --

The real bone-headed move was the 12 men in the huddle penalty pushing them back 5 yards. Then Brett's pass out of sheer deparation failed -- but it's not like they were going to kick the field goal anyway. He did what he always does -- he tried to make something out of nothing.

I think the game was lost on FUMBLES and turnovers. Peterson is an all pro and yet he fumbled the ball 3 times in the conference title game??? Have you seen a worse performance by someone who is supposedly of this caliber??? And these 3 weren't their only ones in the game! Had the Vikings not recovered many of their own fumbles, this game would have been long gone much earlier.

legaleagle92481
01-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Bottomline every QB even every one in the Hall of Fame has failed miserably at some point in the clutch during his career. Whether it be an INT, a fumble or an incomplete pass. Brett just tends to make his more heartbreaking than most because they are gunslinger plays that make the average fan shake their head befuddled as to what he was thinking or not thinking. Although it seems like forever ago Brett did win a Super Bowl and come awfully close to winning another the very next year. Buckner he is not.

joelsabi
01-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Difference is that Buckner should not have been out there on that deciding play and Farve had to be in there.

joelsabi
01-25-2010, 12:27 PM
It's time to leave Buckner alone. I've seen him interviewed, and he's experienced an enormous amount of personal pain. He was playing hurt, and that may have cost him that extra fraction of a second reaction time and/or slightly impeded his bending over. People don't realize that public figures are people too.

agreed. red sox fans have forgiven buckner as time heals. wonder how long it will take vikings fans to forgive farve?

STLHAMMER32
01-25-2010, 12:30 PM

Buckner was not a bad player, I think its a shame that happened and the guy had to go through the crap he did. But....no excuses about being hurt or impedement of bending over that is the craziest thing I have ever heard of.

As far as favre goes that play was not the deciding factor and it was hardly a Buckner moment. 12 men in the huddle was the bonehead move that forced Favre to be in a throwing situation. The turnovers absolutely killed them...Vikings outplayed the saints in every aspect of the game besides special teams, 5 turnovers is what cost them their SB chance. Favre was gutting out a bad ankle and had that injury not occured chances are Brett takes off in that situation and gains yardage for a field goal attempt. Then even if was able to get in decent field goal range, Longwell still has to come on the field and make the kick. Favre did not cost them the game....the penalties and turnovers did.

LastingsMilledge85
01-25-2010, 01:44 PM
The difference between Favre and Buckner is that Buckner makes that play nine out of ten times. Favre throws the game away in a big moment nine out of ten times.

STLHAMMER32
01-25-2010, 03:53 PM
agreed. red sox fans have forgiven buckner as time heals. wonder how long it will take vikings fans to forgive farve?

Viking fans in general are not blaming Favre because he did not blow the game, it was combination of several turnovers and penalties. Vikings organization and their fans want favre to come back. I'm sure a few Vikings fans may not like but there is very very few compared to the rest.

buckeyegamers
01-25-2010, 08:11 PM
AP holds on to the rock, the Vikes are never in that position at the end of the game. If anybody "choked" it was Peterson. Favre carried that team most of the game.

redoctober
01-25-2010, 08:17 PM
The difference between Favre and Buckner is that Buckner makes that play nine out of ten times. Favre throws the game away in a big moment nine out of ten times.

Kidding, right??? The difference between Favre and Buckner is that one of them was THE primary difference in getting his team to the position that they were in. Without Favre, the Vikes were 11-5 with a first round playoff loss at best.

Fair or not, Buckner will always be a goat. Favre has way too much glory from throughout his career to have this tarnish it all. He should not have even been in the position that he was in!

That said, it is a crappy way to end what was otherwise an extraordinary season for him.

Manram
01-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Kidding, right??? The difference between Favre and Buckner is that one of them was THE primary difference in getting his team to the position that they were in. Without Favre, the Vikes were 11-5 with a first round playoff loss at best.

Fair or not, Buckner will always be a goat. Favre has way too much glory from throughout his career to have this tarnish it all. He should not have even been in the position that he was in!

That said, it is a crappy way to end what was otherwise an extraordinary season for him.

I agree with you. Favre has done so much in his career, and this season. You can't base it one one play in one game he played. But Bill Buckner will always be remembered for missing that ball

Dewey2007
01-25-2010, 09:14 PM
AP holds on to the rock, the Vikes are never in that position at the end of the game. If anybody "choked" it was Peterson. Favre carried that team most of the game.

Peterson probably had the worst 122 yard, 3 TD game in the history of the NFL. Those two lost fumbles along with the other 2 TO's were the difference in this game plain and simple. Favre's last INT was just icing on the sh*t cake the Vikings were serving up after the game.

33bird
01-25-2010, 09:29 PM
No, I wasn't bustin' on Bucky-just Favre. Bucky was a scapegoat for the choked game. I don't even care about football, but when I saw Favre throw that crap pass, I really felt for all the Vikings fans out there. They should be playing in the big one!

Manram
01-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Peterson probably had the worst 122 yard, 3 TD game in the history of the NFL. Those two lost fumbles along with the other 2 TO's were the difference in this game plain and simple. Favre's last INT was just icing on the sh*t cake the Vikings were serving up after the game.

All of AP's touchdowns were from like 5 yards away. It's not like he broke out some 20 yard run or anything. He did not have a good game at all. Where is the AP from last year :rolleyes: