PDA

View Full Version : OT: Disneyworld and Spring Training

joelsabi
01-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Anyone tried incorporating a family vacation to disneyworld while going to spring training games in Florida? Wondering if it is feasible distance-wise and also thought a member has already tried this. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Joel

tknorm
01-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Pretty easy to do. The Braves train on the Disney campus. Other sites are within 2-3 hour drive so you can do Disney for a few days and ST for a few days and make a week out of it. We are doing a similar trip the first week of March.

hope this helps!

allstarsplus
01-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Anyone tried incorporating a family vacation to disneyworld while going to spring training games in Florida? Wondering if it is feasible distance-wise and also thought a member has already tried this. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Joel

Joel - We did it 2 years in a row and hope to again this year. We have done the Braves, Tigers, and Nationals. Hope to do the Yankees if we go this year.

The Braves complex at Disney is amazing. I think I posted pics last year too.

We had a rent-a-car so it was easy drives to the other parks.

CampWest
01-24-2010, 10:49 PM
I made a Vero Beach/Dodgertown to Disney World trip once... It was a doable drive and arrive at park open with an early departure.

camarokids
01-24-2010, 10:55 PM
You will be in the middle of it all. Two hours away from the $pankees on the West Coast and 3-4 hours from the East Coast Teams....

link of locations.....

http://www.flasports.com/page_prosports_springtraining.shtml

joelsabi
01-25-2010, 10:30 AM
thanks a lot for all the replies. your info will be very helpful.

OaklandAsFan
01-25-2010, 10:43 AM
You will be in the middle of it all. Two hours away from the $pankees on the West Coast and 3-4 hours from the East Coast Teams....

link of locations.....

http://www.flasports.com/page_prosports_springtraining.shtml

this is precisely why I love AZ ST. Especially starting next year when the Dbacks and Rockies move up to Scottsdale every park is less than an hour from any other park in the area. As is it now its still only a 90 minute drive to go to Tucson (but I can't stand that park and its anti autograph rules so I don't bother to ever go down there anymore)

climate wise there are pretty similar in March but it just doesn't seem to make any sense travel wise to have ST in Florida IMHO.

coxfan
01-25-2010, 04:05 PM
The Astros train only about 15 miles from the Braves, also in the Orlando area. The Braves are right by Disney World, and most of the other Florida spring training sites are within a couple of hours of the Braves. Be careful when you get south of Port St Lucie, though ( eg FT Lauderdale) as Miami megaopolis traffic starts to become a problem at that point.

joelsabi
01-25-2010, 04:18 PM
The Astros train only about 15 miles from the Braves, also in the Orlando area. The Braves are right by Disney World, and most of the other Florida spring training sites are within a couple of hours of the Braves. Be careful when you get south of Port St Lucie, though ( eg FT Lauderdale) as Miami megaopolis traffic starts to become a problem at that point.

thanks I need to study some maps or do a mapquest from disneyword to tampa training center, if that passes the miami traffic youre talking about.

sox83cubs84
01-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Miami traffic won't be an issue on the Orlando/Tampa travel. Ft. Lauderdale/Miami is southeast of the Disney area, while Tampa is west, with no major cities in between.

Dave M.
Chicago area

xpress34
01-25-2010, 05:18 PM
this is precisely why I love AZ ST. Especially starting next year when the Dbacks and Rockies move up to Scottsdale every park is less than an hour from any other park in the area. As is it now its still only a 90 minute drive to go to Tucson (but I can't stand that park and its anti autograph rules so I don't bother to ever go down there anymore)

climate wise there are pretty similar in March but it just doesn't seem to make any sense travel wise to have ST in Florida IMHO.

Agreed! It has been whispered for years that eventually ALL ST might be in AZ due to the closer proximity of the parks and the fact that they don't get early season hurricanes and such...

As far as Tucson, I'm guessing you're talking about TEP??? Hi Corbett is fairly fan friendly - but I don't think the Rox/D'Backs new facility in Goodyear will be quite as accessible just based on how the Rockies are at Coors Field... in fact I heard rumors that they are going to shut the parking lots on the 1st base side down for fans this year and make it a privacy parking for players and player access only - just wondering how that will work with access from the Main Field to Field 5 (B Games) and the MiLB practice area???

All the best -

Chris

OaklandAsFan
01-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Agreed! It has been whispered for years that eventually ALL ST might be in AZ due to the closer proximity of the parks and the fact that they don't get early season hurricanes and such...

As far as Tucson, I'm guessing you're talking about TEP??? Hi Corbett is fairly fan friendly - but I don't think the Rox/D'Backs new facility in Goodyear will be quite as accessible just based on how the Rockies are at Coors Field... in fact I heard rumors that they are going to shut the parking lots on the 1st base side down for fans this year and make it a privacy parking for players and player access only - just wondering how that will work with access from the Main Field to Field 5 (B Games) and the MiLB practice area???

All the best -

Chris

I havent gone to a game in Tucson in 4 years maybe longer. Other people I know that collect autographs have told me that they limit the amount of baseballs you can bring in to get singed, you cannot bring bats into the stadium to get signed (The Cubs also won't let you bring in bats.) I just don't care for the ride and since I live in AZ I have plenty of time to watch my beloved A's so I check out other teams or take a break for a day. I am actually hoping to land a job with the ground crew for the A's this season so my autograph and game used collecting may take a back seat this spring but we'll see.....

Eurostar09
01-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Always end up going to disney a few times during spring training. They have a great deal for Florida residents. $99 dollars for all 4 parks and you can go anytime before may. Days don't have to be back to back either

2 hour drive from tampa to orlando. Easy ride from steinbrenner field to disney parks with sirius radio. Going to 6 games and am counting the days

joelsabi
01-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Always end up going to disney a few times during spring training. They have a great deal for Florida residents. $99 dollars for all 4 parks and you can go anytime before may. Days don't have to be back to back either

2 hour drive from tampa to orlando. Easy ride from steinbrenner field to disney parks with sirius radio. Going to 6 games and am counting the days

Wow I need to plan this out earlier. You gave me the idea of going to the B&G Luncheon and its all sold out. I am a month too late.

coxfan
01-26-2010, 06:11 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is that some teams have an autograph-signing day when most of the team is available. My wife and I lucked into the Dodgers' last autograph day at Vero Beach in early March 2008, just before they moved. We didn't know about it in advance, and just happened to be there. We went on the field, and got probably half the Dodgers' regular lineup and roster, including Joe Torre. I think these auto-signing days are probably early in ST. I don't know how many teams do them.You might find dates via the team websites.

joelsabi
01-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that some teams have an autograph-signing day when most of the team is available. My wife and I lucked into the Dodgers' last autograph day at Vero Beach in early March 2008, just before they moved. We didn't know about it in advance, and just happened to be there. We went on the field, and got probably half the Dodgers' regular lineup and roster, including Joe Torre. I think these auto-signing days are probably early in ST. I don't know how many teams do them.You might find dates via the team websites.

thanks on the tip. not too fond of waiting in line for autographs tho. how large do the lines get for autographs on signing days.

also anyone know if watching a photoshoot day for baseball cards topps even possible? when does this occur?

coxfan
01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
The only spring training autograph day we've been to was the Dodgers at Vero Beach in early March 2008, only a few days before they moved to Arizona. There were no lines, as the players, coaches, and manager all stood around on the foul lines and you could walk on the field and go to whomever you wanted. You brought your own ball or whatever, and there was no charge, ( other than your game ticket to get in, of course); or registration to slow things down.

They did let kids have the first 30 minutes, but there was adequate time for all. Some players and a coach or two chose not to participate, but most did sign, including regulars. There was a huge crowd pressing around Joe Torre almost to a dangerous point, but some others had almost nobody and you could walk right up. In addition to regulars, some prospects also participated, including a couple who made the team. Because of the crowds, Torre after the autograph day restricted his signing to small kids, but everybody got him the first day.

I don't know anything about other teams and whether they do this.

sox83cubs84
01-26-2010, 07:33 PM
I havent gone to a game in Tucson in 4 years maybe longer. Other people I know that collect autographs have told me that they limit the amount of baseballs you can bring in to get singed, you cannot bring bats into the stadium to get signed (The Cubs also won't let you bring in bats.) I just don't care for the ride and since I live in AZ I have plenty of time to watch my beloved A's so I check out other teams or take a break for a day. I am actually hoping to land a job with the ground crew for the A's this season so my autograph and game used collecting may take a back seat this spring but we'll see.....

The limits on items in Tucson is pretty accurate. I was able to bring a bat in (an old Jerry Hairston Sr. bat to swap to Scott Hairston for one of his). I cleared it with park security the day before, and, after the trade, I had to leave the newly acquired Scott Hairston bat in a team office area until I left. It worked out when I planned ahead.

Dave M.
Chicago area