PDA

View Full Version : OT - Case study on FanFests

allstarsplus
01-23-2010, 07:04 PM
After reading about the Cardinals FanFest and how they charge for many of the autographs (goes to Charity) and the O's Fest where they limit autographs to the 1st 250 in line, I am wondering what the perfect FanFest is.

Because I work with athletes, I know they don't like signing for more than 2 hours at a clip so 250 to 500 autographs would be the max any player should sign while the demand for a Wieters (O's) is probably 2,000 which leaves a lot of people upset.

I do believe the Season Ticket Holders should get a priority.

So what are the hilights of your FanFests? What does your team do right? Is an autograph lottery better than the first 250 that get into the line?

Manram
01-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Last year at the A's fanfest there was no limit on how autographs a player signs. Although many people weren't there last year. The lines were like 50 people long, and only like a 10 minute wait. As for the A's game used memorabila the prices were extremely cheap. They were selling all bats and helmets for $5 each, and the jerseys ranged from $20-$100. They had Swisher and Street each for $100 each

Manram
01-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Also all of the autograph were free

joelsabi
01-23-2010, 07:36 PM
i like the idea of lottery for autographs just for the fact that people with young kids would have difficulty getting to the fanfest super early. also, it avoids unneeded altercations from people cutting in line and people saving places for their friends. i like the idea of using wristbands for those who are in line if no lottery is used. again to make avoid people saving spaces for people who are not there early.

allstarsplus
01-23-2010, 07:50 PM
i like the idea of lottery for autographs .....avoids unneeded altercations from people cutting in line and people saving places for their friends. i like the idea of using wristbands for those who are in line if no lottery is used. again to make avoid people saving spaces for people who are not there early.

Great points. I think if the team pre-sells tickets so they have there estimates of how many people are coming then they can do some math to make sure they have enough signors to guarantee everyone with a ticket at least one autograph too, but at least you don't walk away empty handed and you have a chance (by lottery) to get the star players autograph.

I think some may opt out for autographs in order to get a photograph with their favorite player too so you can specify if you want as your 1st choice an autogrpah or photo.

Also all of the autograph were free I like ManRam's point. The team has to fly in all the players at a great expense and put them in hotels and some of the star players have exclusive signing deals like Pujols so I think the team should figure out all of their expenses and then again do the math to charge the entry fee be it $30 or $40 so you don't have to pay for all the autographs and Pujols then can sign all items and UDA can then authenticate since UDA essentially would be paid.

sox83cubs84
01-23-2010, 08:41 PM
The Cubs Convention is a zoo....long, overflow lines, poor crowd control, lotteries for the top players (scratch-off cards), and out-of-towners from Iowa, Indiana, and other nearby states who strut around the premesis like they own the place. Not even worth trying, unless you've got lots of time to kill.

SoxFest...much better. Colored wristbands are given out before the session, and are available from ushers. When the bands run out, that's it for autographs of that player(s). Wristbands are checked at the entrance to the line, and clipped off at the front when the autographs are procured. Number of autographs per player is usually 200-400. Bigger names are under the same system .

Dave M.
Chicago area

Birdbats
01-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Andrew, first you need to differentiate between types of fan fests. I know there are some that truly are fan events where the autographs are free... and there are those, like the one run by the Cardinals, that are charitable fundraisers. I'm sure every Cardinals fan would love to get free autographs of every player, and many complain about the prices charged for the stars. But, the Winter Warm Up is Cardinals Care's primary fund-raiser, and CC has pumped more than $14 million into area youth programs since its inception. So, I guess question one is, is your fest for charity or simply for fun? Might make a difference in terms of how tickets are priced and distributed.

Regarding distribution, the Cardinals used to sell paper tickets, some in advance and some at the event. Total nightmare. This year, they sold every ticket online (with pickup at the event starting the day before the fest). That was great for out-of-towners who had a difficult time getting tickets before, but not so great for people who don't have computers. Overall, I think this system worked well.

Pujols was handled differently. They had a lottery for Pujols -- people registered online and x number won a chance to buy his ticket for $175. I know some people freak out at that price, but a) it's cheap compared to the price of Pujols signed items in the marketplace; and b) based on the number of people who signed up for the lottery, I heard they could have sold 10 times the number of tickets that actually were available.

So, question two is how do you sell tickets? A lottery is a good idea, but it's an extra step in the process and could be a real pain in the long run. The lottery was good for Pujols, but wouldn't be necessary for most guys. First come, first served seemed to work just fine... and with limits on how many tickets for each player can be purchased. Don't need to get scalpers in on the act.

One thing the Cardinals do that drives me nuts year after year is the way they handle free autographs. Right now, it costs $40 for a three-day pass. Most current players have an autograph fee; about 50-60 retired players, coaches and prospects are free with admission. The team doesn't provide tickets for these freebies, so it's a free for all (literally). The lines get really long and often are cut off arbitrarily. I'm hoping the Cardinals realize, now that they've had experience with online ticketing, that it would be much more efficient to distribute tickets for these free signers, first come, first served. That would make the lines much more manageable and people could plan their days better. If I was in charge, I'd go one step further and charge $5 for the guys who now are free -- but reduce the admission fee by $5-10. That would make admission cheaper for people who don't want autographs; provide an unbundled, ala cart system for people who do want autographs; and make the "free" lines less chaotic (because there would be ticket numbers).

One last thought regarding season ticket holders. I think most teams have events geared for their season ticket people and these often include signing opportunities. Fan fests are more targeted at people who aren't necessarily season ticket holders. If season ticket folks got preferential treatment, I think that would rub Joe Averagefan the wrong way.

Birdbats
01-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Dave's post reminded me -- the Cardinals also do scratch offs for Pujols and typically 2-3 other players (Carpenter, Molina and Holliday this year). $1 per chance. Don't know how many winners there are or what the odds are.

allstarsplus
01-23-2010, 08:58 PM
I think many teams have FanFests that benefit their charities. The Nats have their Dream Foundation set up at the NatsFest, but I still think charging huge dollars for star autographs defeats what it is all about where the average fan whether it is for charity or not can't afford it.

and there are those, like the one run by the Cardinals, that are charitable fundraisers.

Is it the NET proceeds (after expenses) go to Cardinals Care or all of the proceeds.

the Winter Warm Up is Cardinals Care's primary fund-raiser, and CC has pumped more than $14 million into area youth programs since its inception.That is great.

spartakid
01-23-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm just going to say right now, A's fanfest is probably one of the best, although I may be a bit biased because they are my home team.:D Prices cannot be beaten. Bats and helmets were $5 each and I don't think jerseys went over $300. Had lots of stuff. Just have to get in line early..... Can't wait for it this year. I'm assuming it's in April like last year, but still waiting on the details.

Manram
01-23-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm just going to say right now, A's fanfest is probably one of the best, although I may be a bit biased because they are my home team.:D Prices cannot be beaten. Bats and helmets were $5 each and I don't think jerseys went over $300. Had lots of stuff. Just have to get in line early..... Can't wait for it this year. I'm assuming it's in April like last year, but still waiting on the details.

I have to totally agree. Although they might not be the best team, they have great prices and the autographs are free which is nice

chakes89
01-23-2010, 10:22 PM
At Redsfest, all autographs are free but its a first come, first serve policy for autograph lines and the players are on a set time limit for signing. They also have kids only autographs lines.

They also started doing a Texas Hold'em Tournament that includes current/former players and local celebrities that fans can play in. Every table is guaranteed to either a current/former or a local celebrity.

And they total up everything from ticket sales and from the game used stuff that they sell and it all goes to the Reds Community Fund.

xpress34
01-24-2010, 01:34 AM
Let me start by addressing this statement:

I addressed this in another thread about FanFests (in reference to the Rockies), and I have to disagree with you Andrew. Not everyone can afford Season Tickets, but that doesn't make them any less of a fan than those that can. In fact, in a lot of cases, Season Ticket holders only buy them because they can afford them, but they wouldn't know a player from the team if they ran into them. That said, the fan that can't afford Season Tickets for their team may spend more (% wise) of their income buying Single Game tickets than a Season Ticket holder does of their income.

It's okay for the team to take my money for tickets, concessions, gear, etc - but I'm not good enough to come to the Fan Fest.

I have to agree with Jef' statement here:

If season ticket folks got preferential treatment, I think that would rub Joe Averagefan the wrong way.

The Rockies use to do a 'Winter Caravan' where they would do appearances around Colorado... now they do a 'Fan'Fest at Coors Field... but ONLY for Season Ticket holders - Joe Averagefan can't buy his way in.

This year's was held today and I was fortunate enough to get in because a friend who is a Season Ticket holder couldn't go, so he sent me his tickets. According to what he told me and what I found out, they sold Admission Tickets, Q&A Session Tickets and Autograph Tickets. They also had a FREE Auto area where some prominent Minor Leaguers in the Rox system signed.

The set up was actually quite clever in it's simplicity - and in avoiding certain tickets selling out, crowding, etc. There were only so many tickets for each time frame / location (i.e. 11:30 Auto Session in Suite 53, 11:30 Auto Session in Suite 55, etc) and each Ticket got you ONE Auto. The cleverness came in the fact that you did not know who was signing at any one place or anyone time, so the entire process of buying Auto tickets was a lotto.

My friend had bought 2 each for the 11:30 in Suite 53 and the 12:30 in the Mountain Ranch Club. 11:30 was Jeff Francis, but I scored on the 12:30 - Todd Helton. The Rox had some extra tickets that didn't seel for some sessions that they were walking around handing out.

I ended up with 2 Helton's, 2 Francis', 2 each of the 8 Minor Leaguers (Parker Frazier, Darrin Holcomb, Joshua Sullivan, Casey Weathers, Chris Nelson, Chaz Roe, Greg Reynolds and ? Pacheco) as well as both the Monfort brothers (The Rox Owners) and Chris Iannetta.

Over a great day - I just wish they would do something more 'fan friendly' for the 'Joe Average' fans.

All the best -

Chris

Cubsfan4life
01-24-2010, 01:54 AM
For me I like a fanfest where I can get autographs of the players I want. For the big names, I wish that teams like the Cubs would stop using a lottery system and/or free autos with really long lines and instead just charge autograph fees like the Cardinals. The money is going to charity anyways.

jobathenut
01-24-2010, 06:36 AM
I just have to say first that i have no problem them charging for autographs.And i don't even have a problem with them keeping that money themselves.And i think it's actually better that they charge and charge a good price.As that means only the real collectors and fans will be in line.I mean if you charge a good price the casual fan isnt going to pay that and that means shorter lines.I know it's suppose to be about the "fans" and the "kids".But if you want shorter lines that's what you got to do.As people for free autographs will stand in line to get anybodys autograph even if they have no idea who it is.I have seen it for myself at twinsfest.And i asked if you don't know who it is,why did you stand in line,it's a free autograph.And at twinsfest i think they do thier autograph part alright.The prices are not all that spendy so that makes for big libnes and like last year some people not getting autographs they paid for instead they got a refund.And it's not really organized as its kind of all over the place.The signing tables are mixed into the floor tables.And it would be hard to get anything team signed unless you went all 3 days.And you need to go there with a plan as some of the players sign at the same time and some are down on the field and some are in the concourse area of the stadium in the press boxes.Not very personable.I would like to see that change a little.As they rush you threw the line pretty fast so you really don't get much of a chance to interact.When my brother was a paul molitor fan we used to get mollys autograph there.And my brother used to try to bring unique things for him to sign to try to spark up a conversation.And one time molitor was talking to my brother about this item (a hat that my brother wore at a previous twinsfest that molitor just loved)and molitor did not even know they made one like that for him.And so my brother hunted down another one and gave it to him.And the lady started yelling at my brother to keep the line going and molitor actually started yelling at her ,"do you mind not yelling at my #1 fan,i am trying to talk to him,everyone is going to get a autograph there is no need to be rude".And i thought that was classy.Sorry off topic a little bit there.But the only problem i have with twinsfest is the game used items.They don't sell hardly any.I read about all these "fests" and all the game used items but not the twins.They save those items for thier stores.The most game used items is just a couple of the stars and they are part of thier silent and public auctions.And they was one little rack of game used jerseys and soem bases but that was all they had.So i would love to see them sell more game items there.And the collectors part is the best as i just love looking at cards and items like that,but seems to be the same tables every year which i am sure is normal at fest's though.

allstarsplus
01-24-2010, 08:59 AM
They also have kids only autographs lines.

That's a good idea. Are these signors for the kids Minor League prospect types or do they have some starters signing?

dnrapp
01-24-2010, 01:28 PM
last years A's fanfest/workout day was the first time they did something right before the season started. In the past they held their fanfest in late Jan/early Feb and then they did sell autograph tickets. Last year was also the only year that the game used stuff was inexpensive.

I alos have been looking for info on this years. Looking at the schudele right before the season. The Bay Bridge series against the Gnts is Thur-Sat. They don't play a game on Sunday and open at home on a Monday. I was thinking that Sun would be the ideal date to hold their Fanfest/workout event again this year. Then I looked at the calander and noticed that Sunday April 4th is Easter Sunday

Manram
01-24-2010, 01:44 PM
last years A's fanfest/workout day was the first time they did something right before the season started. In the past they held their fanfest in late Jan/early Feb and then they did sell autograph tickets. Last year was also the only year that the game used stuff was inexpensive.

I alos have been looking for info on this years. Looking at the schudele right before the season. The Bay Bridge series against the Gnts is Thur-Sat. They don't play a game on Sunday and open at home on a Monday. I was thinking that Sun would be the ideal date to hold their Fanfest/workout event again this year. Then I looked at the calander and noticed that Sunday April 4th is Easter Sunday

Hopefully the prices are the same as last years :D

whatupyos
01-24-2010, 03:07 PM

I hate the A's fanfest. Used to be good back in the early to mid 90's. For the game used its always the same4 guys at the front of the line who buy all the crap and their friends cut in line.

whatupyos
01-24-2010, 03:12 PM
After reading about the Cardinals FanFest and how they charge for many of the autographs (goes to Charity) and the O's Fest where they limit autographs to the 1st 250 in line, I am wondering what the perfect FanFest is.

Because I work with athletes, I know they don't like signing for more than 2 hours at a clip so 250 to 500 autographs would be the max any player should sign while the demand for a Wieters (O's) is probably 2,000 which leaves a lot of people upset.

So what are the hilights of your FanFests? What does your team do right? Is an autograph lottery better than the first 250 that get into the line?

Andrew,

Awesome topic since there are so many FanFests. I like how the money for autographs go to charity. I think all teams should do that because it helps people in need. The more popular a player, the more money could go to charity. I think teams should sell the tickets online and have a limit to one ticket per person. I dont like the first come first served because all too ofter it leads to people cutting in line.

My favorite fanfests were the Oakland A's back in the early 90's. I got in line first come first served and got one of 250 tickets to get Mark McGwire's autograph. I was one of the first 50 or so in line. I got there super early and waiting in line for 2.5 hours. I was in 7th grade at the time. Got to have Mark sign an awesome picture I bought and talked to him for a minute or so. I've also toured the clubhouse and sat in the bullpen and walk around the field. Pretty cool when you're a young teenager.

Aaron

Fnazxc0114
01-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Rangers have first come first serve. After seeing how some of the other teams handle their fanfest i wish the rangers did it the same way. Granted we dont have the alumni that other teams do but it would still be cool to be able to pay to get as many guys as you want. Af far as the game used the prices are sky high. It sucks paying the prices but much of the higher end rangers stuff is hard to come by. As far as season ticket holders go the rangers hold a season ticket holder picknick in the spring and all the pllayers show up and sign for free. I dont exactly like to wake up early to get in line for autographs so i dont. I think the main priority for the fan fest are to get those fans they may not have another chance otherwise to get close up to the players. It seems that they do this to ensure that the fans regardless of income have chance to get on the field and tour the facilities. The rangers charity and the team store are seperate. They both sell game used but the charity generally has far better prices.

spartakid
01-24-2010, 03:28 PM
I hate the A's fanfest. Used to be good back in the early to mid 90's. For the game used its always the same4 guys at the front of the line who buy all the crap and their friends cut in line.

Were you there last year? The security guard wasn't about to take any crap. There were some guys that were looking in the window with their faces up against the window. Said they were like a "bunch of d*mn bi*ches" :p First we thought he was joking, turns out he wasn't. Ended up being one of the highlights of the day for me. Although I don't think he cared enough to stop the cutting. Last year was my second time, and this year I'm going all out. Going to get in the line that forms outside the parking lot early, and then tyry and get in line ASAP. Luckily at the ripe old age of 16 I probably can outsprint those thirty, forty somethings from the parking lot to the line.:D

whatupyos
01-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Were you there last year? The security guard wasn't about to take any crap. There were some guys that were looking in the window with their faces up against the window. Said they were like a "bunch of d*mn bi*ches" :p First we thought he was joking, turns out he wasn't. Ended up being one of the highlights of the day for me. Although I don't think he cared enough to stop the cutting. Last year was my second time, and this year I'm going all out. Going to get in the line that forms outside the parking lot early, and then tyry and get in line ASAP. Luckily at the ripe old age of 16 I probably can outsprint those thirty, forty somethings from the parking lot to the line.:D

No I didn't go last year. I went two years ago. Took BART was there in Oakland scared to death at 6:30am. The security guard would not open the gate from the tunnel to the A's entrance until 8am. Well, he didn't get radio confirmation until 8:15am and all the other gates were open. I'm FAST so I sprinted past everyone to see 8 people ahead of me, which turned into 8 more after they let their friends cut in. These same 4 guys, about in their 40's with nothing better to do then steal all the crap were there. They are always the first. All I wanted was a Travis Buck gamer. Thats it.

spartakid
01-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Oh, we always drive, so I haven't had the BART experience...

chakes89
01-24-2010, 04:32 PM
That's a good idea. Are these signors for the kids Minor League prospect types or do they have some starters signing?
I believe that Griffey Jr. did a Kids Only signing several years ago.

Sean Casey did them as well

hippo916
01-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Whatsupyos,

I agree with you about A's Fanfest. I am a season ticket holder and have been attending since the 1990s. And every year, the same four or five men and one woman are at the front, regardless of how early I arrive. One year, I arrived at 5:00 a.m. and they were already in line because they camped out, which the A's no longer allow. Another year, after the A's prohibited camping, one of the men was caught hiding in the Port-a-Potty in the middle of the night. Another time, one of them parked in the far corners of the Coliseum, and hid-out for the night. Other than that extreme, I always figured, "all the power to them for the willingness to get up and in line so early. The only people who annoy, actually, anger, me, are the line cutters. Remember a few years ago, there was a bearded guy with glasses who looked like he just rolled-in from skid row? He cut in line to number three or four, and then screamed at everyone that, "one person doesn't make a difference." Although we all complained, security did nothing. And when the guy got in, he proceeded to purchase many of the best jerseys. Later, I heard he was purchasing for a dealer.

The prices should be back up this year as the A's sold practically every jersey last year. They told me that the prices were low because they needed to clear out some storage space, and at the same time, give fans a break from the bad economy.

About six months ago, there was a Travis Buck from Fanfest on Ebay. It sold for about $165, which was the minimum bid.

whatupyos
01-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Whatsupyos,

I agree with you about A's Fanfest. I am a season ticket holder and have been attending since the 1990s. And every year, the same four or five men and one woman are at the front, regardless of how early I arrive. One year, I arrived at 5:00 a.m. and they were already in line because they camped out, which the A's no longer allow. Another year, after the A's prohibited camping, one of the men was caught hiding in the Port-a-Potty in the middle of the night. Another time, one of them parked in the far corners of the Coliseum, and hid-out for the night. Other than that extreme, I always figured, "all the power to them for the willingness to get up and in line so early. The only people who annoy, actually, anger, me, are the line cutters. Remember a few years ago, there was a bearded guy with glasses who looked like he just rolled-in from skid row? He cut in line to number three or four, and then screamed at everyone that, "one person doesn't make a difference." Although we all complained, security did nothing. And when the guy got in, he proceeded to purchase many of the best jerseys. Later, I heard he was purchasing for a dealer.

The prices should be back up this year as the A's sold practically every jersey last year. They told me that the prices were low because they needed to clear out some storage space, and at the same time, give fans a break from the bad economy.

About six months ago, there was a Travis Buck from Fanfest on Ebay. It sold for about $165, which was the minimum bid.

I know what you mean. I mean there are Fans....and then there are FANS. Those FANS are hogging everything in my opinion. But I am just happy to know that I have a life and their actions can speak for themselves. HAHA, sleeping in a port a potty? WOW. Can you get any more low than that? Thats just insanity.

Manram
01-24-2010, 06:13 PM
I know what you mean. I mean there are Fans....and then there are FANS. Those FANS are hogging everything in my opinion. But I am just happy to know that I have a life and their actions can speak for themselves. HAHA, sleeping in a port a potty? WOW. Can you get any more low than that? Thats just insanity.

Yah that is pretty insane. I guess they don't have anything else better to do :rolleyes:

sox83cubs84
01-24-2010, 07:34 PM
The early bird problem for game-used stuff somtimes happens here, too, especially at SoxFest. A local hobbyist who writes for SCD has, at times in the past, been known to use his press credentials to gain access to the Garage Sale area before it happens, and buys a few items before the public gets let in. Not to say he clears out all the good stuff, as the Sox sell the best names at somewhat appropriate prices..but more than a few local collectors have griped about him using a press credential to beat the crowd inside. I'm not sure that this is still the case...the Sox may have put a stop to this.

Dave M.
Chicago area

murfsteve25
01-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Is an autograph lottery better than the first 250 that get into the line?

Personally speaking, I dont like the idea of an autograph lottery. I say keep it the way its been going. First 250 in line get it.

Why? Because a wealthy man can sit at his home all day and buy as many lottery tickets as he wants, hoping one of them gets him a spot in line at the 2 oclock signing on saturday.

But the average joe/dedicated fan who is willing to take a day out of his life to bare the weather and driving conditions, wait 5+ hours in line just to get in the building, then wait another hour or 2 in the actual autograph line just for the 5 seconds of glory truely deserves it I think.

Manram
01-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Personally speaking, I dont like the idea of an autograph lottery. I say keep it the way its been going. First 250 in line get it.

Why? Because a wealthy man can sit at his home all day and buy as many lottery tickets as he wants, hoping one of them gets him a spot in line at the 2 oclock signing on saturday.

But the average joe/dedicated fan who is willing to take a day out of his life to bare the weather and driving conditions, wait 5+ hours in line just to get in the building, then wait another hour or 2 in the actual autograph line just for the 5 seconds of glory truely deserves it I think.

That is a great point

murfsteve25
01-24-2010, 11:13 PM
That is a great point
On the other hand, i can see how doing a lottery would be so much easier. Especially for those who will be with young children. Dont have to deal with the worries of wondering where the line is going to be for a certain player, or waiting in line an hour before the line is actually supposed to start forming (those who have attended Redsfest in the early 2000's know what im talking about).

It would be so much easier to know ahead of time that at 2pm on saturday you need to walk over to "area A in the autograph section" and jump in line for an autograph.

jobathenut
01-24-2010, 11:42 PM
That is a great idea.As it's all about the kids.:)

Manram
01-24-2010, 11:51 PM
That is a great idea.As it's all about the kids.:)

Of course it is :rolleyes:

murfsteve25
01-24-2010, 11:53 PM
One more thing...

My fav fanfest is the Braves. They have the entire stadium available to you. Walk around the concourse all you want. Sit in any seat you'd like. Take fly balls in the outfield. Throw strikes in the bullpen. Sit in the dugout.Take a tour of the clubhouse, look in the showers, see the athletic trainers office, check out the putting green.

They have autograph sessions going on everywhere. Not in just one little spot. When i went, Francoeur was signing in the 755 suite. Chipper was signing in some room behind home plate. Bobby Cox and Sid Bream were signing in some hallway in the left field suites.

If I could attend only one fanfest ever again, it would be the Braves only because they give you access to check out a lot of things. Even though I was able to get auto's from Cox, Francoeur, Chipper...my fav part was going in the dugout and clubhouse.

BergerKing22784
01-25-2010, 12:45 AM
The Kids, the kids, why does everything always have to be about "the kids"?!?!

Why cant it be about the true fan or the true collector? The ones who will actually cherish the autograph or game used item? I know we need to give children memories that they will remember forever but in all my years of autographing I have seen so many ungreatful kids or kids who really just dont care get something that I or someone else would enjoy so much more but since we are no longer kids missed out.

I have been blessed with wonderful parents who all through my childhood realised my passion for sports and the opportunities to meet my favorite sports stars and as great parents would take time out of their busy lives to help me accomplish my goals of my hobby. Age should not have any baring on who gets what in this hobby. The person(s) most willing to do what they have to do to get what they want should. Yesterday at Orioles fanfest I heard many parents moaning and groaning about how their kids were missing out and the autograph procedure what stupid and yadda yadda yadda. While I still think not announcing player times and appearances wasnt the best idea everyone got to play by the same rules regardless of age and if you wanted it bad enough you could have done really good yesterday in achieving your goals....

The lines were long, took lots of waiting in line and missed events, games, fan forums but you had to choose what you wanted to experience. If you wanted to meet the players you have to give up on the player Q&As or the speed pitch game or whatever else they had going on. Everyone who attended got to experience something.

jobathenut
01-25-2010, 01:05 AM
Yeah bergerking i was being a smartass when i posted that response "it's all about the kids".As that's what sports have become.I thought i was the only one who is sick and tired of hearing this.Glad to know i am not alone on this.But see all of sports should have that motto-"it's about the kids".I know this is off topic.But i mean go to any game of any sport and if a player or ump,ref or usher is throwing a ball or puck into the crowd.Who gets it-a kid.What players forget that even adults were once kids and have proberly been fans of the team since then.But they seem to think a kid who is just going to lose the ball or play with is more deserving than a adult who proberly will put it in a display case.quote=BergerKing22784;183002]The Kids, the kids, why does everything always have to be about "the kids"?!?!

Why cant it be about the true fan or the true collector? The ones who will actually cherish the autograph or game used item? I know we need to give children memories that they will remember forever but in all my years of autographing I have seen so many ungreatful kids or kids who really just dont care get something that I or someone else would enjoy so much more but since we are no longer kids missed out.

I have been blessed with wonderful parents who all through my childhood realised my passion for sports and the opportunities to meet my favorite sports stars and as great parents would take time out of their busy lives to help me accomplish my goals of my hobby. Age should not have any baring on who gets what in this hobby. The person(s) most willing to do what they have to do to get what they want should. Yesterday at Orioles fanfest I heard many parents moaning and groaning about how their kids were missing out and the autograph procedure what stupid and yadda yadda yadda. While I still think not announcing player times and appearances wasnt the best idea everyone got to play by the same rules regardless of age and if you wanted it bad enough you could have done really good yesterday in achieving your goals....

The lines were long, took lots of waiting in line and missed events, games, fan forums but you had to choose what you wanted to experience. If you wanted to meet the players you have to give up on the player Q&As or the speed pitch game or whatever else they had going on. Everyone who attended got to experience something.[/quote]

BergerKing22784
01-25-2010, 01:16 AM
Yeah I had a published more well written rant in Sports Collectors digest a few years ago about kids! I myself am only 25 and started collecting hardcore autographs when I was like 12-13ish. I know there are lots of dealers out there but there are also a lot of true collectors who are adults...

Random kid "Number 12! Number 12! Sign this!" ...... Yup that kid sure does deserve the autograph more than me does not even know the guys name!

jobathenut
01-25-2010, 01:26 AM
Wow i thought i was all alone on this.Glad i am not.I just wish it was like that when i was a kid i would have taken avantage of it more.I did not realize how many things i was intitled to just because i am a kid.I mean i have no problem if the kid is a fan.But to not give it to me to give it to a kid just cause thier a kid is just stubid.I was just at a hockey game for our local college team.And me and my brother go to every home game.So we are obvious big fans.And we were sitting first row on the glass and the refs and players gave all the kids around us pucks but not us.They were not watching the game (as most kids don't especially baseball games but thats another rant),just wearing normal clothes.And me and my brother wearing jersys and hats.I just don't get it.And before i get bashed on here.I have a daughter,and i have tught her as my dad and mom taught me.I just don't let her think just cause she is a kid she is deserving of items.And if you can not watch the game then you are not going to the game.I did not buy you a ticket for you to watch the people behind you or next to you watch the game-my biggest pet peeve by the way.And if she gets a ball or something she is to take care of it and put it in a display case.That also goes for autographs.If you don;t know the players name you don;t need thier autograph.Have the respect to go up the player and ask them by name for thier autograph.
Yeah I had a published more well written rant in Sports Collectors digest a few years ago about kids! I myself am only 25 and started collecting hardcore autographs when I was like 12-13ish. I know there are lots of dealers out there but there are also a lot of true collectors who are adults...

Random kid "Number 12! Number 12! Sign this!" ...... Yup that kid sure does deserve the autograph more than me does not even know the guys name!

xpress34
01-25-2010, 01:28 AM
The lines were long, took lots of waiting in line and missed events, games, fan forums but you had to choose what you wanted to experience. If you wanted to meet the players you have to give up on the player Q&As or the speed pitch game or whatever else they had going on. Everyone who attended got to experience something.

Agreed! The RockiesFest was the same way... you chose the Q&As or you chose chasing Autos. I actually liked that they sold tickets for Autographs by time and area - no names given. Basically it was lotto - only you were guaranteed and auto with a ticket for your time and place, you just didn't know who.

On the 'It's about the kids' sidebar... I have to say I too am sick and tired of hearing it. My son doesn't like baseball and now that he's 16 (actually, since he was about 10) he doesn't attend or watch games and I'm sure many kids at the ballpark didn't come there by choice. Also, in reference to the ushers/security/ball guys giving foul balls to kids and not adults - do you think that kid shelled out $35 to $100+ per ticket for those front row or box seats? HELL NO!

And an actual event that happened to me in either 2002 or 2003 at Coors Field - I'm sitting Front Row down the 3rd base line - about half way between 3rd Base and the Left Field wall - Larry Walker hits a screaming foul down the 3rd base line that skips off the dirt and into the stands. As my buddies are ducking, I can't move my glove back any further, the ball hits me in the wrist above the heel of my glove, crushes the clasp on my steel watch band cutting my wrist open and bounces back onto the field. The on-field security guy picks the ball up, comes over and asks if I'm okay (blood was running down my arm at this point - not buckets mind you, but enough to notice) - I tell him I think I'm okay, he says alright and then turns and tosses the ball to a kid who ran down the steps from about 8 rows up. Yes, this really happened! That's the point when I really said forget about the kids

My friends always ask - if you catch a HR or a Foul, are you going to give it to a kid near you? I always say, 'Hell no!'. I've been to about 1,000 MLB games in my life and (not including BP balls or Spring Training) I've gotten ONE foul ball and last year got my FIRST HR ball (Eric Young Jr's 1st MLB HR). I figure the kids have plenty of time to get one on their own.

Sorry for the rant and going off the rails here...

- Chris

jobathenut
01-25-2010, 01:42 AM
Thanks xpress for your comment about did the kid buy his ticket.Thats funny as i said the same darn thing to a stadium person years ago at wigley.The twins were playing there and my brother was a huge moiltor fan so i went there early to get his autogrpah for him.And i got it and was telling molitor about my brother.As it was just me and him by the dugout talking as noone saw him there.But then people started coming over and molly went to take infield.And he motioned to me and threw me a ball and it fell short of me.And the stadium person who was sitting there picked it up and gave it to a kid standing behind me.And i said he was throwing it to me.And the guy said the famous line"yeah but thats a kid".And i said really how much did that kid pay for his seat.Not to mention the plane ticket and hotel to come go to the game.And molly even yelled at him that he was throwing the ball to me.And man i would have been more pissed by what happen to you.
Agreed! The RockiesFest was the same way... you chose the Q&As or you chose chasing Autos. I actually liked that they sold tickets for Autographs by time and area - no names given. Basically it was lotto - only you were guaranteed and auto with a ticket for your time and place, you just didn't know who.

On the 'It's about the kids' sidebar... I have to say I too am sick and tired of hearing it. My son doesn't like baseball and now that he's 16 (actually, since he was about 10) he doesn't attend or watch games and I'm sure many kids at the ballpark didn't come there by choice. Also, in reference to the ushers/security/ball guys giving foul balls to kids and not adults - do you think that kid shelled out $35 to $100+ per ticket for those front row or box seats? HELL NO!

And an actual event that happened to me in either 2002 or 2003 at Coors Field - I'm sitting Front Row down the 3rd base line - about half way between 3rd Base and the Left Field wall - Larry Walker hits a screaming foul down the 3rd base line that skips off the dirt and into the stands. As my buddies are ducking, I can't move my glove back any further, the ball hits me in the wrist above the heel of my glove, crushes the clasp on my steel watch band cutting my wrist open and bounces back onto the field. The on-field security guy picks the ball up, comes over and asks if I'm okay (blood was running down my arm at this point - not buckets mind you, but enough to notice) - I tell him I think I'm okay, he says alright and then turns and tosses the ball to a kid who ran down the steps from about 8 rows up. Yes, this really happened! That's the point when I really said forget about the kids

My friends always ask - if you catch a HR or a Foul, are you going to give it to a kid near you? I always say, 'Hell no!'. I've been to about 1,000 MLB games in my life and (not including BP balls or Spring Training) I've gotten ONE foul ball and last year got my FIRST HR ball (Eric Young Jr's 1st MLB HR). I figure the kids have plenty of time to get one on their own.

Sorry for the rant and going off the rails here...

- Chris

xpress34
01-25-2010, 01:45 AM
If you don't know the players name you don;t need thier autograph.Have the respect to go up the player and ask them by name for their autograph.

Again, I agree!!! I HATE going early for BP and autos only to have kids stand there screaming out numbers at players - and not even asking PLEASE. If I had a .05 for every time I've heard a kid scream 'GIVE me..., SIGN my... Hey you..., etc' without a PLEASE in site... and their parents just stand there and say nothing.

And even worse is when you are already shoulder to shoulder waiting and they get there whenever they decide to come and their parents teach them to just shove their way up front - no excuse me, nothing - like they're entitled...

As far as knowing players names - enough said! I cannot stress this enough to people who want to auto hunt!

TWO examples - one happened at RockiesFest yesterday: I was waiting for my 12:30 Auto in Mountain Ranch Club (had just found out it was to be Helton!) when I saw Tulo coming down the hall... all these 'fans' and no one recognized him! I didn't ask for an auto, but I did call out 'Triple T' (Trot Trevor Tulowitzki) and he High Fived me as he walked by... then people were asking me, "who was that?" REALLY?!?!

2nd happened at St Patty's game 2008 at Hi Corbett in Tucson... the Rox generally give away or toss their hats into the stands (Green CR and St Pats Logo on back) and many scrums ensue... anyway, Mark Strimatter (Bullpen Coach) is coming in after the game - and here come the 'Hey you... hey mister... hey #...etc) for his hat. I wait for Mark to get in earshot (he has to have passed 100 people screaming for his hat) and I yell out, 'Stritty - may I have your lid?'... He looks up at me and says ,'What?' Again I say, 'Stritty, may I please have your hat?' He says, 'Since you know who I am, sure.' and gives me his hat.

Maybe we should start a new thread on these subjects!!!

2nd time - my apologies for driving this train off the rails!

- Chris

xpress34
01-25-2010, 01:48 AM
'Triple T' (Trot Trevor Tulowitzki)

Should read TROY Trevor Tulowitzki

Oh for an EDIT feature!!!

jobathenut
01-25-2010, 02:07 AM
xpress-I don't really think we are off topic that much about discussing this.As it kind of has to do with the things that go at the "fests".And beleieve me i am not just hating on "kids".But i am hating on the things you just gave examples of.Man i thought again me and my brother were the only people that thought this way.And i never spoke up because i fear especially on here to get bashed for giving my thoughts.And you hate the same things that i hate.And me and my brother see this every hockey game we go to."GIVE ME,GIVE ME,GIVE ME".We have stayed after for years to get autographs and become freinds with the players and parents.And thats all you hear from the kids.And most of the time they ask us who that player was.And i tell them tell me the final score of the game and i will tell you.And not one kid has been able to do it.And heres a little secret-MOST KIDS DON'T WATCH THE GAMES.And i gave a example about the pucks.An what was funny is that the one kid yelled at the guy in the penelty box "hey my friend did'nt get his puck".They think they are entitled to things now.And manners please for get about that.If i talked the way i hear some kids talk,my dad would have pulled me right out of there and we would have left and proberly never gone to another game.So thats the way i am,and thats what i ahve taught my daughter like i said, you address them by name,you say please mr so and so and then you say thanks.You do not yell and you wait your turn and dont push other people.Thats why i think these fests are the best way for "kids" to get autographs as its more organized and if you buy a ticket and stand in line is alot easier than fighting for one before a game.And i like them for the same reason.Nothing gets me madder than parents that tell their little billy to push thier way up there to get the autograph.I had another story but this post is long enough.By the way i love your storys as thats great the coach did that and player did that.Its shows respect both ways.Still have the hat?
Again, I agree!!! I HATE going early for BP and autos only to have kids stand there screaming out numbers at players - and not even asking PLEASE. If I had a .05 for every time I've heard a kid scream 'GIVE me..., SIGN my... Hey you..., etc' without a PLEASE in site... and their parents just stand there and say nothing.

And even worse is when you are already shoulder to shoulder waiting and they get there whenever they decide to come and their parents teach them to just shove their way up front - no excuse me, nothing - like they're entitled...

As far as knowing players names - enough said! I cannot stress this enough to people who want to auto hunt!

TWO examples - one happened at RockiesFest yesterday: I was waiting for my 12:30 Auto in Mountain Ranch Club (had just found out it was to be Helton!) when I saw Tulo coming down the hall... all these 'fans' and no one recognized him! I didn't ask for an auto, but I did call out 'Triple T' (Trot Trevor Tulowitzki) and he High Fived me as he walked by... then people were asking me, "who was that?" REALLY?!?!

2nd happened at St Patty's game 2008 at Hi Corbett in Tucson... the Rox generally give away or toss their hats into the stands (Green CR and St Pats Logo on back) and many scrums ensue... anyway, Mark Strimatter (Bullpen Coach) is coming in after the game - and here come the 'Hey you... hey mister... hey #...etc) for his hat. I wait for Mark to get in earshot (he has to have passed 100 people screaming for his hat) and I yell out, 'Stritty - may I have your lid?'... He looks up at me and says ,'What?' Again I say, 'Stritty, may I please have your hat?' He says, 'Since you know who I am, sure.' and gives me his hat.

Maybe we should start a new thread on these subjects!!!

2nd time - my apologies for driving this train off the rails!

- Chris

xpress34
01-25-2010, 02:21 AM
By the way I love your storys as thats great the coach did that and player did that. Its shows respect both ways. Still have the hat?

Joba -

Yes, I do. I also have Tulo's 2007 St Pat's GU hat (auto'd) and I kept Stritty's hat - but had Holliday sign it for my collection.

Tulo's has his # (14 before he changed to 2), but Stritmatter's was blank inside.

As far s the kids pushing forward, I quit moving. I've had parents yell at me and I've turned around and told them to teach their kids some manners... I also know most of the lower level (meaning 1st 10 rows) ushers at Coors Field and they back me when the parents go and complain to them that people won't move for their kids. Again, REALLY? I'm sorry that I was standing here for an hour apparently holding a place for YOUR kid!!! Most parents shut up when I say something though... must be something about being 6'1", about 240 with a goatee and a shaved head... :cool:

I always try - my kid or not - to teach them the best way to get an auto.

My basics:

1) KNOW who the players are - and even better if you know something about them or have a quick story to share that involves them.

2) ALWAYS say PLEASE.

3) Always know WHAT you want to get signed, WHERE you want it signed, and WHAT pen you want it signed with.

4) Do not JUST Thank them - Thank them for their time as well as the autograph. Gets lots of guys to smile and probably more likely to sign again.

NOTHING sours a player on signing than rude or bad/obnoxious fans.

If you ever want to chat outside the board, feel free to drop me a line - xpress34@comcast .net - I always separate it at the . so the SpamBots don't pick my eMail off the forum...

- Chris

jobathenut
01-25-2010, 02:50 AM
xpress-That really made me laugh.I did'nt realize i have been standing here for a hour to hold you kids place in line-CLASSIC.You don't mind if i use that,do you? And yeah now that i know your that big i am going to watch what i say to you.So i am sure the parents know not to mess with you.But even more than that,if you try to teach the kids some manners some parents get mad at you.As i have had that,after a hockey game this kid could not get this players attention and kept yelling "hey you" and after the 50th time i got upset and i told the kid,try saying mr--- to get his attention.And say please and thank you.And the kid did it and the player turned around signed it and the player smiled at me.As i know the player and knew he did that on purpose.As players do not like being yelled at even by kids.But anyway,the dad came up to me and asked who i thought i was telling his kid how to ask for a autograph.And i just said i was sorry but i was tired of hearing your kid screaming and demanding a autograph.And thought if i help him he could get it.Sorry by all means have your kid continue to yell and see how mnay autographs he gets.All those guidelines are the right ones if you were to write a book.But me and my brother will go one furthur.Have something unique for the players to sign.As my brother was a big paul moiltor fan so at twins fest every year he would hunt down the most unique things to get him to sign.Nothing gets the player talking you more than something he has not signed 10000,s of times.And it always worked for my brother and molly.And with the hockey team we follow.I love taking sport pictures so i take games pictures and print them to 8x10s and my brother gets them signed.Nothing makes a college player happier than seeing a picture of them playing.They know we are big fans.So i take the pictures and my brother gets the autographs.We have a good system worked out now.Thats great you still have the hat,as you are a true collector.One of my friends was telling me this story about this team was giving away thier hats like that after the game.And this guy was begging for this players hat.And saying how he was a big fan.So when the player came over my friend let the guy get the hat.And as he was walking out the stdium the guy was selling it.And my friend i guess went up to him and started yeslling at him.Thanks for the email,i will email you some time as this has been great writing to you about this.
Joba -

Yes, I do. I also have Tulo's 2007 St Pat's GU hat (auto'd) and I kept Stritty's hat - but had Holliday sign it for my collection.

Tulo's has his # (14 before he changed to 2), but Stritmatter's was blank inside.

As far s the kids pushing forward, I quit moving. I've had parents yell at me and I've turned around and told them to teach their kids some manners... I also know most of the lower level (meaning 1st 10 rows) ushers at Coors Field and they back me when the parents go and complain to them that people won't move for their kids. Again, REALLY? I'm sorry that I was standing here for an hour apparently holding a place for YOUR kid!!! Most parents shut up when I say something though... must be something about being 6'1", about 240 with a goatee and a shaved head... :cool:

I always try - my kid or not - to teach them the best way to get an auto.

My basics:

1) KNOW who the players are - and even better if you know something about them or have a quick story to share that involves them.

2) ALWAYS say PLEASE.

3) Always know WHAT you want to get signed, WHERE you want it signed, and WHAT pen you want it signed with.

4) Do not JUST Thank them - Thank them for their time as well as the autograph. Gets lots of guys to smile and probably more likely to sign again.

NOTHING sours a player on signing than rude or bad/obnoxious fans.

If you ever want to chat outside the board, feel free to drop me a line - xpress34@comcast .net - I always separate it at the . so the SpamBots don't pick my eMail off the forum...

- Chris

xpress34
01-25-2010, 03:21 AM
Have something unique for the players to sign.

I will agree with this one too...

In fact, I have a Pro Model HoH (Heart of the Hide) catchers mitt that now has almost 50 autos on it - all catcher's of course!

My friends laugh when I tell them it's like a catcher's 'fly trap' or 'magnet', but I have gotten or guys turn and come right to me when I hold that thing up for autos. Only 2 catchers have ignored me/turned me down that I have asked to sign it - Piazza and Soto.

Notables are Bob Uecker, Pudge Rodriguez, Joe Mauer, Kurt Suzuki, Doug Mirabelli, Bengie Molina, Yadier Molina (I now need Jose to have all 3), Saltalamacchia, Jason LaRue, Jason Kendall... I would pay (if they are even near here for a show - Denver,CO) for Yogi Berra and Johnny Bench.

Planning on trying to add Torre this season as well as some others...

As I said, it's a magnet... I've had starting catchers (who usually don't sign before games) see it on their way to the Bull Pen, set down their gear and come right over to sign it.

Paul Phillips (when the Rox had him up last year), I couldn't catch up to him at a game... he's driving out after a day game, fans are calling and he keeps driving - I hold up the glove, he sees it - stops and calls me over to sign it.

Best story on it is Uecker. TOUGH Auto... when the Twins were here 2 seasons ago, Uecker made Ned Yost (who I forgot to have sign it!) come and get the glove - take it to him, he signed it - and then had Yost bring it back to me.

I have lots of Mgrs who were catchers on it - Hurdle, Brenley, Bochy - as well as a lot of could have beens, JD Closser, Danny Ardoin, etc...

Besides Torre, looking to add LoDuca, Soto (I'll try again), Pierzynski, and a few others at Spring Training this year.

Chat with you soon...

- Chris

murfsteve25
01-25-2010, 03:30 AM
So when the player came over my friend let the guy get the hat.And as he was walking out the stdium the guy was selling it.
I'd be pissed

allstarsplus
01-25-2010, 10:43 AM
One more thing...

My fav fanfest is the Braves. They have the entire stadium available to you. Walk around the concourse all you want. Sit in any seat you'd like. Take fly balls in the outfield. Throw strikes in the bullpen. Sit in the dugout.Take a tour of the clubhouse, look in the showers, see the athletic trainers office, check out the putting green.

They have autograph sessions going on everywhere. Not in just one little spot. When i went, Francoeur was signing in the 755 suite. Chipper was signing in some room behind home plate. Bobby Cox and Sid Bream were signing in some hallway in the left field suites.

If I could attend only one fanfest ever again, it would be the Braves only because they give you access to check out a lot of things. Even though I was able to get auto's from Cox, Francoeur, Chipper...my fav part was going in the dugout and clubhouse.

Interesting. The President of the Nats is Stan Kasten who used to be the President of the Atlanta Braves and that is almost the model the Nationals use except it is cold on the last weekend in January when the NatsFest is so not much going on outside and the indoor areas get crowded real quick which is why they may have to move it to a convention center.

Do the Braves have dealers setup to sell their own merchandise as well as the team selling game used?

jobathenut
01-26-2010, 02:47 AM
murfsteve-Oh my friend was pissed.He said he does'nt think he has ever got that mad.As he was also a fan of the player.But the way they guy was going on and on.My friend thought he would be nice and give it to him saying he was a bigger fan.
I'd be pissed

sox83cubs84
01-26-2010, 07:55 PM
I find most (not all, though) of the kids to be obnoxious and cursed with a feeling of entitlement, especially when they see adults backing them up. When I catch a BP baseball, I'll get the "Give it to a kid" line, which usually transaltes to "give it to MY kid". I usually ignore these, and, when I do give one out, it's to a kid 10 or 15 rows up, or to one just coming down from the concourse. I gave a brat at New Comiskey a fotoball of Mike greenwell when I caught a BP HR and he whined for it. Greenwell was shagging fly balls in front of us, and the kid demanded (not asked for) an autograph. Greenwell expalined that he couldn't sign while he was working, so the rugrat THREW the ball at Greenwell!!:eek:

I could start awhole thread about obnoxious kids/parents stroies...maybe I'll start it myself tomorrow.:cool:

Dave M.
Chicago area

Manram
01-26-2010, 08:11 PM
I find most (not all, though) of the kids to be obnoxious and cursed with a feeling of entitlement, especially when they see adults backing them up. When I catch a BP baseball, I'll get the "Give it to a kid" line, which usually transaltes to "give it to MY kid". I usually ignore these, and, when I do give one out, it's to a kid 10 or 15 rows up, or to one just coming down from the concourse. I gave a brat at New Comiskey a fotoball of Mike greenwell when I caught a BP HR and he whined for it. Greenwell was shagging fly balls in front of us, and the kid demanded (not asked for) an autograph. Greenwell expalined that he couldn't sign while he was working, so the rugrat THREW the ball at Greenwell!!:eek:

I could start awhole thread about obnoxious kids/parents stroies...maybe I'll start it myself tomorrow.:cool:

Dave M.
Chicago area

Can't wait to hear all your stories :D

LastingsMilledge85
01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Back in 2007 at Shea stadium a young kid,maybe 10 or 9 the oldest, very funny to a ball player. Joe Smith was singing autographs and the kid asked Joe if he could have his hat, and Joe said, "You want my hat?" and smiled. Joe is a very nice guy BTW, but couldn't give up his hat.

hiramman
01-26-2010, 11:21 PM
I just wish the Atlanta Braves would have one this year. The've had them at the Stadium in the past, at the huge World Congress Trade Center a couple of years ago and then had what they called an Autographfest at the stadium last year. All have had things I've loved and things that didn't work out so well for everyone.

However this year, considering they're probably the best team in baseball, with a huge ever-growing national fan base, with every game a complete sell-out, with fan's fighting to just get a chance at having the luxury to purchase a ticket, with the waiting list for season tickets being handed down from one generation to the next, and attendance at every game growing and growing... they've decided it's not worth the hassle to put on something for Braves fans.

You gotta love some of the front office people the Braves have in charge of marketing. Geez, now I keep forgetting why I didn't renew those season tickets.

jobathenut
01-27-2010, 02:58 AM
sox83cubs84-I really thought i was taking a chance when i replied about the "kids only line" with my sarcastic-IT'S ALL ABOUT THE KIDS.But i am surprised to find out i am not alone on the thought towards kids at games.First xpress34 shared my same thought and now you.Thank you as i thought i was all alone on this.I have never caught a ball at a game,not even as a kid.But my brother did and of course go that "give it to a kid".I can believe the kid that in your story.He thew the ball at him.Wow,if that was my kid,or if i did that,that for sure would be the last game i or my kid went to.

Dave M.
Chicago area

jobathenut
01-27-2010, 03:02 AM
Sorry once again grammer police.Wow, i really butchered that last post of mine ,did'nt i? We really need a edit button.Or better yet i need to learn to proof read before hitting the darn reply button.Sorry everyone.:eek:

allstarsplus
01-27-2010, 08:17 AM
You gotta love some of the front office people the Braves have in charge of marketing. Geez, now I keep forgetting why I didn't renew those season tickets.

I have thought the same thing sometimes with respect to the decision makers of off-the-field decisions.

I remember about over 10 years ago when the Braves took some of their season tickets holders and formed a fan focus group that made suggestions to the marketing group which had many ideas implemented.

It is a shame to see a team move backwards in marketing efforts, but I am sure it comes down to time and money.