PDA

View Full Version : Beware Of The Psa/dna Quick Opinion

sammy
06-22-2006, 11:45 AM
If you use PSA/DNA's quick opinion service, please be advised.

If the item comes back as "Likely Not Genuine" PSA will then notify eBay and eBay will terminate the auction.

Apparently it does not matter who else's cert is with the item, unless it is one of eBay's chosen few, the auction will be canceled.

Once canceled, eBay will send you a notice that the item will need to be authenticated by one of the chosen few in order to relist. Now being that one of the chosen few had your auction terminated in the first place, eBay is basically telling you to go pound sand.

I had an item that came from a very reputable, nationally known and respected dealer/authenticator. I did not place any information or scans concerning this authenticator in the auction as I did not want to bias PSA one way or the other. Once I received their report, I closed the auction myself. Later on I received the e-mail from eBay canceling my auction, even though I had already done that the previous day.

Now they want me to use these same companies that authenticate forgeries, auto-pens, and stamped signatures as authentic? No friggin way.

I'll relist the item again, but use the cert that came with it originally.

How much are these chosen few paying you eBay, for the privilege of corning the market and back-stabbing other legitimate sellers?

A link for more on PSA/DNA's "expert" authentication.

http://richardsimonsports.com/hofauto2.htm (http://richardsimonsports.com/hofauto2.htm)

trsent
06-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Sammy, if you wish to share, what was the item in question? If you relist it, post or email a link, it is neat to see how eBay operates in this situation.

sammy
06-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Hi Joel,

I'll keep that secret.

I know a lot of people read this board who do not actually participate, and I do not want to give someone information that may doom me twice.

trsent
06-22-2006, 03:03 PM
Ok, so you can email me at the email address below and I'll reply with a story about my issue with PSA/DNA and eBay.

cardinarky
06-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Ok I have a question on the legality of this. I contract PSA to give me a "quick opinion" on an auctiopn item.
Now they do.
The information should be mine, "the buyer" of the information, not then freely given to eBay.
Essentially eBay is in the listing business and asking us to pay $7.49 per auction for a maybe approval. I eBay wants this information, they should be forced to pay for it on every listing before the listing is put online.
I don't think PSA has the legal right to give information I contracted them to investigate, to a third party.
After watching Godfather I, II, III, I think this activity fits somewhere in one of those movies.
I'm being totally serious here.

sammy
06-22-2006, 10:47 PM
I know how you feel.

Due to this treachery by PSA, I will never use them again.

You are correct in your assumption that the information I paid for, should be mine alone. It should not be shared with anyone else.

According to PSA's Terms and Conditions, I am not allowed to share this information with any third party unless I have their "express permission."

Of course, they also state that this rule doesn't apply to them. That is where they grease you up so eBay can give you the shaft.

Both of these bottom feeders need lessons in ethics.

PSA Terms and Conditions of Service (Important!)

Customer's engagement of Collectors Universe ("CU")'s QuickOpinion service is subject to all relevant terms and conditions of the eBay User Agreement.

CU will endeavor to render opinions within a reasonable time frame after receipt, but disclaims any liability whatsoever to Customer for damages (including incidental or consequential damages) allegedly due to CU's failure to render an opinion within any time frame.
CU will not render opinions with respect to items consisting of (a) autographs NOT listed on the QuickOpinion Autograph Schedule or, (b) autographs that in CU's opinion are damaged and/or their scans illegible. Fees paid to CU for such items shall be refunded to Customer.
Certification and authentication involves individual judgments that are subjective and require the exercise of professional opinion, which can change from time to time.

CU does not guarantee that any opinion rendered by QuickOpinion will agree with the opinion(s) of any other autograph experts, or with the opinion rendered by CU itself should the item be submitted for physical inspection immediately following purchase or at any time in the future.

Therefore, CU makes no warranty or representation and shall have no liability whatsoever to Customer for the opinion rendered by QuickOpinion with respect to any item, including but not limited to losses or damages incurred by any person as a result of relying upon any QuickOpinion opinion in connection with the purchase (or non-purchase) or sale of any item.

CU further disclaims any liability whatsoever for losses or damages incurred by any person as a result of the reproduction and/or use of any QuickOpinion opinion by third parties not connected with CU including, but not limited to eBay sellers.

They give eBay the information you paid for, and then disclaim any responsibility.

QuickOpinion opinions are non-transferable, and Customer agrees to the following with respect to dissemination of any opinion Customer receives from QuickOpinion with respect to any item:

(a) not to disclose QuickOpinion's opinion to any third party;
(b) that QuickOpinion's opinions are confidential and may not be reproduced or distributed without PSA's express permission;
(c) that eBay is authorized to remove any unauthorized disclosure of a QuickOpinion opinion from eBay's site.

Except as expressly set forth herein, CU disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, regarding the QuickOpinion service.

The courts of Orange County, California shall have exclusive jurisdiction and venue of any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to Customer's use of QuickOpinion, and THE PARTIES IRREVOCABLY WAIVE THEIR RIGHTS TO A TRIAL BY JURY WITH RESPECT TO ANY SUCH CONTROVERSY OR CLAIM.

The court shall award to the prevailing party, in addition to any other relief deemed appropriate, the prevailing party's attorney's fees and costs of litigation, whether or not those are otherwise available to the prevailing party by statute.

P- pretty
S- sorry
A- authenticators