PDA

View Full Version : Hunt Auctions - Payton Professional Model Jersey

TriplexXxSports
01-20-2010, 10:47 AM
I am having some problems with this Payton jersey and was looking to get some insight from the vintage experts and maybe, verify my thoughts on this piece.

I rolled around on Getty and came up with a couple of photo's from various dates in the 80's to give a general idea of my concerns. The offered Payton is represented as a Mid 80's so I tried to include as many examples of Payton from the '80's as possible. I also highlighted some key points that I wanted to make in the images that I provided. Here are the things that I am concerned about:

NAMEPLATE: Comparing the offered Payton to random Getty images I immediately noticed the way the letters in the nameplate aligned with the numbers. It appears that the 'N' in the nameplate should line up with the long leg of the #4 (or be inside of that leg). The offered jersey has the 'N' on the outside of that leg on the #4.

FONT: The letter 'Y' in the Getty images appears to be a different font/style than the 'Y' that is on the offered Payton. Also the 'GSH' memorial letters also appear to be in a different font.

SPACING: The spacing between the letter 'Y' seems to be smaller/tighter to the other letters on the offered jersey, whereas, on the Getty images the spacing between the 'Y' is greater between itself and the surrounding letters. Also, there seems to be more space between the nameplate and the '34' on the back of the jersey. On the offered jersey it appears that the nameplate is much closer.

NUMBERS ON THE SLEEVE: The offered Payton shows that the number '34' that is affixed to the sleeve is placed very close to the top pin stripe and the seam in the shoulder. The provided Getty images indicate that there was more spacing between the number '34' and the top pin stripe and the shoulder seam.

If you would take a look at the provided images and submit a response as to your thoughts and opinions, I would appreciate it.

Below are the provided images.

BULBUS
01-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Also, the lettering of the Hunt jersey is strange. The red (shadow) is solid behind the black letters. I've never seen that before.

nickacs
01-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Also, the lettering of the Hunt jersey is strange. The red (shadow) is solid behind the black letters. I've never seen that before.

You beat me to it :) I was just going to post that the orange around the nameplate letters doesn't match up at all with the Getty images.
Clearly the 'N' at the end has a "block" orange around the entire letter 'N', where the Getty images, the orange is just slightly outlining the letter.

Thanks so much for posting as great points on the flaws. I saw this jersey last weekend and thought it was too good to be true :)

TriplexXxSports
01-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Great points guys. Indeed the lettering is incorrect.

Another thing that I noticed is the size. Payton never wore a 48.

And, what about the 'light evident usage wear' the description states it has. They sure do leave that open ended for interpretation. It doesn't say that Joe Scooter spilled some coffee on the front tail and there is a cigarette burn on the chest. All it says is 'light evident usage wear' without any details as to the 'use'. Maybe for a reason?.....

Payton's jerseys never showed 'light evident usage wear', they were clobbered with use. A white Payton gamer would show alot more than 'light evident usage wear'....no?! Just look at some of the pics from Getty.

For a jersey that is estimated to be worth $4000-$5000, I would think that Hunt would take the time to research the jersey as well as make that listing as detailed as possible. And again, for that amount, one would think that Hunt is implying that this is a Game Worn jersey. Lord knows an authentic retail couldn't command that type of price.....even it it were signed. A salesman's sample jersey would be valued at less than a grand. So I wonder what the scoop is?

Speaking of 'the scoop', what is the provenance they refer to from the 'team affiliated company'? Wouldn't you think the name of that company would be valued by a potential bidder? I sure as hell would want to know the name of the company if I was coughing up that amount of cash.

Now, not only am I questioning the authenticity of this jersey, I am also beginning to question the reasons behind the high estimated price and the extremely 'vague' description....

34swtns
01-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Hhmmmm.........this all sounds very familiar.

It's like I've had this same conversation with someone before.......
deja vu, maybe? :D

dcrules01
01-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Contact Hunt they are very good about taking items down that are not what they are represented to be.Express your concerns I usually deal with Daisy here is her email address daisy@huntauctions.com

TriplexXxSports
01-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Contact Hunt they are very good about taking items down that are not what they are represented to be.Express your concerns I usually deal with Daisy here is her email address daisy@huntauctions.com

Thanks boss. I sent a copy of my original post in an e-mail prior to the discussion. I am awaiting a response and I will be sure to post any information that is relevant.

TDKID
01-21-2010, 11:10 AM

I'd seriously doubt Hunt will take one of their featured items down because of what a few guys on here say. LOL

dcrules01
01-21-2010, 03:32 PM
They ended 25 lots of some vintage baseball items about 3 months that were at a pretty penny when they ended them. They are an honest auction house. It is no loss to them the items are consigned.

momen55
01-21-2010, 04:21 PM
the numbers on the sleeves appear smaller as do the sleeves seem shorter.

TDKID
01-21-2010, 06:38 PM
There might be some logical explanations for those issues. They are good points but I'm not sure if they definitely mean the jersey isn't real.

TriplexXxSports
01-21-2010, 07:15 PM
And, see, this is where I have a problem with the use of "Professional Model".

Clearly this is not a Game Used Payton, but the description sure wants you to think it is with the statements of use, and provenance from a team affiliated company.....

Like I said in another thread. I have a 'professional model' that is an 'NFL Auctions Authentic', and I have another 'professional model' from there that was clearly a game worn jersey.

A jersey of this potential (if it were game used) should have intimate details about it - not just described as a professional model.

TDKID
01-21-2010, 07:19 PM
And, see, this is where I have a problem with the use of "Professional Model".

Clearly this is not a Game Used Payton, but the description sure wants you to think it is with the statements of use, and provenance from a team affiliated company.....

Like I said in another thread. I have a 'professional model' that is an 'NFL Auctions Authentic', and I have another 'professional model' from there that was clearly a game worn jersey.

A jersey of this potential (if it were game used) should have intimate details about it - not just described as a professional model.

I was wondering about the wording myself. This jersey is probably going to go for $4-6K. And the listing is very unclear.

TDKID
01-21-2010, 07:29 PM
No where in the listing does it say it's game used. Very unclear, all it mentions is "evident....light-usage." For a high ticket item(and one of their main featured items) causes me to question this Auction House's consistency.

TriplexXxSports
01-28-2010, 05:38 PM
UPDATE:

Here is the e-mail that I just received from Hunt:

Hi Gene and Matt,

First I would like to thank you for your interest in the Super Bowl auction
and Matt I appreciate you taking the time to send us some detail backing up
the elements that you questioned about the Payton jersey. Also, please note
that this piece comes from reputable source as noted in the catalog description.

I spent sometime going over the Getty images that are available for the
Chicago Bears. After looking at many images mostly from 1985-1987 I am
comfortable with the "GSH" font on other road jerseys of other players. The
font on the home jerseys does look a bit different. I did find a photo image
#53316822 that shows orange behind the letters W and N on the nameplate.

The positioning of the numbers on other jerseys is similar to the
positioning of the 34 on the offered Payton. I looked at every player with a
"Y" in his name from the 1985 and 1987 rosters where images were available
on Getty and indeed I did not see a "Y" that matches the font on the offered
Payton.

While researching other Payton jerseys that have been sold I did discover
that they were mostly size 44 while the Payton we are offering is a 48. I
did discover some anomalies in the sizing. While we do not believe the
jersey to be fake given the proper tagging and pro model quality we are
unsure as to the exact nature of the piece. After evaluating the
information especially the size discrepancy we have decided to remove the
jersey from the Super Bowl auction.

Hunt Auctions Inc.
256 Welsh Pool Rd
Exton, Pa 19341
(P)610-524-0822
(F)610-524-0826

That is a very stand-up thing for them to do. That says alot about their company and their ethics. It is great to know that there are still auction houses in the industry that take the time to listen and consider others opinions, not to mention communicate with the public in a sound and professional manner.

They did the right thing....

dcrules01
01-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Glad I mentioned it to you and things worked out. They seem to have a very good reputation and the communication sometimes it takes a day or two. And you are right it is nice to know that they would pull a piece they might have fetched a premium price.

kirkb
01-29-2010, 11:50 AM
This is extremely refreshing. I have gone down the same road with Barry Sanders Jerseys. One of our favorite auction houses has banned me, perminantly I guess, for suggesting their Sanders was no good. Another house, with a very good reputation here, recently sold a 1992 Sanders home after I told them it was no good. Once again Barry Sanders wore 1 home jersey in 1992 and i own it. Its a very strange jersey with crooked numbers and tears which show up week after week. I have EVERY game on dvd and have about 100 images. Many of these I shot myself.
Yet I have seen this jersey sell approximately 25 times by just about everyone from a to z. They sold game model duplicates through Anaconda sports in SCD.
Be VERY careful about buying game worn jerseys. Always do your homework and get a photo match if you can.

TriplexXxSports
01-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Glad I mentioned it to you and things worked out. They seem to have a very good reputation and the communication sometimes it takes a day or two. And you are right it is nice to know that they would pull a piece they might have fetched a premium price.

:confused:

bigtruck260
01-29-2010, 12:24 PM
:confused:

I could have sworn that Matt said he copied his first post and sent it to Hunt when you 'suggested' it the first time. He covered his bases before he posted.

TriplexXxSports
01-29-2010, 02:45 PM
I could have sworn that Matt said he copied his first post and sent it to Hunt when you 'suggested' it the first time. He covered his bases before he posted.

Yeah, I was a little confused by DC's post. I e-mailed Hunt with the info that I found first, then took a copy of that e-mail and tossed it up here.

No pun intended here....:cool:

dcrules01
01-29-2010, 04:20 PM

Not sure if you contacted them before or after I posted this.Either way they took the jersey down and that is a plus for them and collectors. But then again that does not prevent the consigner to add it to a less reputable auction house. Nice work :cool: