PDA

View Full Version : Seller etiquette question

godwulf
01-16-2010, 02:34 PM
As a first-time seller on this (or any other) board, I have to ask...if Guy #1 expresses interest in an item and requests photos, and then, before he gets back to you to say Yea or Nay, Guy #2 does the same and then offers to buy the item immediately...am I obliged to go back to Guy #1 (or however many people have asked about the item) and clear it with him or them before finalizing the sale?

I honestly need to know, 'cause apparently I've already ticked one guy off, and I'd like to avoid doing it again if at all possible.

staindsox
01-16-2010, 02:46 PM
There are so many times that potential buyers never get back to you, not even a "thanks for the photos." I think if an offer comes in, take it.

Good luck!

Chris

Neal
01-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Guy #2 gets it - First to commit to a sale.

Just my opinion

tom1315
01-16-2010, 02:50 PM
I would say its first offer that is bonafide unless there was a period of time offered by the seller that would would have allowed the "proposed buyer" to state whether they were interested or not.

Whenever I have exchanged pictures and or discussion re buying or selling an item - unless expressly discussed upfront "I will hold the item for 24 hours to allow you to decide" - its always been whomever replies first they will buy gets the item.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 Grad

ndevlin
01-16-2010, 02:52 PM
I sorta think the first person to email you should get a shot at buying it first. I could have sold an item last night, but waited today to get the money from the first guy that emailed me. I would have pissed him off and he probably wouldnt buy from me anymore.

If he was to bail out, I have another guy wanting it.

Plus, people have lives outside of being on the computer. Just because they dont get back to you in a couple hrs doesnt mean they dont want the item.

NYCrulesU
01-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Unless you have a "pending deal" it's first come, first serve.

70to66
01-16-2010, 03:32 PM
First one to say they want it.
"Never turn down cash on the barrel head" Boss Hogg Dukes of Hazzard

commando
01-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Unless you implied to person #1 that you'd hold the item for him, person #2 was the first one ready to "show you the money." Always sell to the one who sends the cash.

If you offer more items for sale here, you'll soon see why...

godwulf
01-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Okay, guys, I truly do appreciate all the imput.

The message I'm sort of getting (from the majority) here is something along the lines of, if you just ask for pictures and don't say anything like "I'm probably gonna want this bat, so please hold it till I look at the photos", you don't really have all that much of a complaint if it gets sold to somebody else.

jjkraner
01-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Yeah normally when people say they are very interested in something you give them the first chance at the Item. I dont know many people that buy items without seeing them. I asked for pictures. I was out of the house for 3 hours so I couldnt responed. Then I got an email stating they where sold. I guess I just am seeing who to due buisness on this and who to stay away from.

geoff
01-16-2010, 04:04 PM
I always give The First Person that emails me A Shot First in Buying The Item.

legaleagle92481
01-17-2010, 12:18 PM
The way I do it is first one to meet my price or give me an acceptable offer gets the item. I have had people say I am interested in X item and ask for pictures. I then send them a pic and a day goes by they come back with a lowball counteroffer or they never respond at all or in some cases I have had people respond several days later. And sometimes the response after waiting a few days is thanks for the pictures but I decided to purchase something else from somewhere else instead. If while I await a response someone else comes along and wants to buy the item (I have had people respond in five minutes flat when I sent them pics asking for my Paypal email address so they can send payment immediately) I will gladly sell it to them because if I wait then the buyer may instead buy something else from somewhere else or otherwise no longer be interested in the item and then if the first guy does not buy I am stuck with the item for awhile. And alot of items especially big ticket ones are hard to move so it is not a smart idea to let buyers get away especially if you are selling the item because you need the cash for another purchase or for expenses in another part of your life like for a mortgage or tution payment. Yes in the future the first guy may not buy from you again but if you turn down the second guy he may not buy from you again either especially if he really wanted the item and it is hard to find so either way you lose a future potential buyer which is just part of the game.

STLHAMMER32
01-17-2010, 12:30 PM
If someone emails you and says I would like to see pics and says that they are interested and "will most likely buy", or "please give me a minute to look them over and get back to you" I think it is fair to give them a chance to look at pictures to see it is as described, and then respond.

However, if someone simply asks to see photos I think it is fair to sell to the person that commits to buying first. In a perfect world there would be better communication and people would respond to ur emails but we all know many do not aknowledge the photos you take time to send them.

You did nothing wrong in my opinion if you sold to a person who claimed them, if the first person to email makes it clear he will buy them if the photos look good then thats a different story I think.

Manram
01-17-2010, 02:05 PM
I believe the first person to say I want it should get it, no matter who inquired first

10thMan
01-18-2010, 03:59 AM
Big difference between "interested" & an "Offer" Without further communication, as in "Can I have first consideration" your being Polite selling the Item, to the First Buyer.

I bought a Bat about 2 years ago from a Forum member because I simply e-mailed & said "I`ll take it, where do I send the Paypal" several guys quickly responded with "Offer sent" etc....One guy was Upset with me about it, go figure.

Sean