PDA

View Full Version : "JCMS" inscription on Mauer gamer

vonbrandingo
01-16-2010, 12:46 AM
I know I've seen it on other gamers of his, but does anyone know what the "JCMS" stands for?

ironmanfan
01-16-2010, 01:01 AM
Jesus Christ My Savior (????)

Manram
01-16-2010, 01:04 AM

That's the only thing that really makes sense. Or the only thing that anyone besides mauer would know

vonbrandingo
01-16-2010, 01:49 AM

Woah! That was the furthest thing from my mind. Interesting if that's right.

MLB_Authentic
01-16-2010, 06:49 AM
What is his grandpa Jake's middle name? Possibly Jake C Mauer Sr.? I know he is very close with his grandfather.

staindsox
01-16-2010, 10:03 AM
I know I've seen it on other gamers of his, but does anyone know what the "JCMS" stands for?

Could you provide an example because I have never seen this on one of his bats other than the one Andy picked up on eBay.

Thanks.

Chris

joelsabi
01-16-2010, 10:18 AM
What is his grandpa Jake's middle name? Possibly Jake C Mauer Sr.? I know he is very close with his grandfather.

Joe's dad given name is Donald Charles Mauer but they call him jake and he is a junior.

so Jake Charles Mauer Sr? very plausable. Joe's grandfather played with the Chicago White sox organization and is the biggest critique and fan of Joe.

nomarmauerfan
01-16-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm with Chris. I've never seen a Mauer with this before. I saw it on ebay and didn't bid because of this. Mauer and Morneau's bats are the most shared with their teammates and minor leaguers. I'm not convinced this is his bat. If we don't have an answer by then, I'll ask him in Spring Training next month.

Mike

vonbrandingo
01-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Could you provide an example because I have never seen this on one of his bats other than the one Andy picked up on eBay.

Thanks.

Chris

No I cannot, and if by Andy you mean Andy Benish, this is probably the same bat since I bought it from him. I asked him and he doesn't know what the "JCMS" stands for either. It has "32.5 Mauer" written on the knob so I hope it's Mauer's bat. If not, I'll be very upset because I paid good money for it.

vonbrandingo
01-16-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm with Chris. I've never seen a Mauer with this before. I saw it on ebay and didn't bid because of this. Mauer and Morneau's bats are the most shared with their teammates and minor leaguers. I'm not convinced this is his bat. If we don't have an answer by then, I'll ask him in Spring Training next month.

Mike

Yes, please ask him and share with us.

MLB_Authentic
01-16-2010, 08:11 PM
I have also owned and handled several and have never seen it either. I find it hard to believe that he would do it to one random bat.

joelsabi
01-16-2010, 08:17 PM
No I cannot, and if by Andy you mean Andy Benish, this is probably the same bat since I bought it from him. I asked him and he doesn't know what the "JCMS" stands for either. It has "32.5 Mauer" written on the knob so I hope it's Mauer's bat. If not, I'll be very upset because I paid good money for it.

Does the bat have his name on the barrell or just the knob? You provide only a photo of the center label. You seem unsure that its Mauer bat.

MLB_Authentic
01-16-2010, 08:20 PM
I saw the bat in question on Ebay. It is a Mauer Issued bat. Its specifications are correct. Knob stampings, name on barrel, etc. What is in question, is that Mauer has not put that on any of his other bats that we know of. So it is believed that this bat may have been used by someone else.

joelsabi
01-16-2010, 08:25 PM
I saw the bat in question on Ebay. It is a Mauer Issued bat. Its specifications are correct. Knob stampings, name on barrel, etc. What is in question, is that Mauer has not put that on any of his other bats that we know of. So it is believed that this bat may have been used by someone else.

Thanks for the clarification.

Just curious. Any photos of Mauer swinging a bat on Father's Day? Seem like a single day event.

MLB_Authentic
01-16-2010, 08:28 PM
The bat is a 08 bat and was more than likely used in spring training as the seller obtained it from the Fort Myers Training Complex, so that doesnt jive either.

Thanks for the clarification.

Just curious. Any photos of Mauer swinging a bat on Father's Day? Seem like a single day event.

vonbrandingo
01-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Here are good pictures of it taken by Andy Benish. It's a nice bat showing heavy use. Yes, the question is whether someone other than Joe wrote JCMS on it and used it.

vonbrandingo
01-16-2010, 08:32 PM
The bat is a 08 bat and was more than likely used in spring training as the seller obtained it from the Fort Myers Training Complex, so that doesnt jive either.

Do you have evidence stating that this bat was obtained in the Training Complex (i.e. the seller's written account of it)?

MLB_Authentic
01-16-2010, 08:33 PM
The listing on ebay is past the amount of time they keep them in the completed listings, but I specifically remember him stating thats where he obtained it. His ebay username is batbyproducts

staindsox
01-16-2010, 08:38 PM
What is the batch number?

MLB_Authentic
01-16-2010, 08:40 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160388678101&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Heres the auction. Its doesnt state that he obtained it in spring training, but I was told that by him through emails about the item when it was active. You have my word on that.

vonbrandingo
01-16-2010, 08:40 PM
The listing on ebay is past the amount of time they keep them in the completed listings, but I specifically remember him stating thats where he obtained it. His ebay username is batbyproducts

Thank you! I just sent a message to that ebay member.

MLB_Authentic
01-16-2010, 08:41 PM

What is the batch number?

nomarmauerfan
01-16-2010, 08:42 PM
You may want to check and see if those letters have anything to do with Korey Feiner (Twins minor league catcher). Joe gave Korey some bats (I have seen 2 with use like the one in your possession). Not saying it isn't Joe's. But, for the tar pattern being that dark around the label, there should be more on the handle (with the way Joe slides his hands in between each pitch). Find the Mauer thread from November and December and check out mine and you'll see what I mean. Good luck.

Mike

vonbrandingo
01-16-2010, 08:45 PM
You may want to check and see if those letters have anything to do with Korey Feiner (Twins minor league catcher). Joe gave Korey some bats (I have seen 2 with use like the one in your possession). Not saying it isn't Joe's. But, for the tar pattern being that dark around the label, there should be more on the handle (with the way Joe slides his hands in between each pitch). Find the Mauer thread from November and December and check out mine and you'll see what I mean. Good luck.

Mike

Good point. The little pine tar transfer to the lower part of the handle has been a concern of mine since the barrel shows so much use.

vonbrandingo
01-16-2010, 08:46 PM

Correct, the batch number is 96. Stamped beside the batch number is 08 and above it is JM7.

joelsabi
01-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Good luck on the search. I guess you may need to wait until spring training.

I hopes its a tribute to his grandfather just because it makes for a great story with the bat and his grandfather's middle name is charles. only religious inscription i had known before was the wwjd on albert pujol hats and albert is always praising God. is joe known for being religious?

this article really talks about his grandfather a lot and the magazine would be great supplement if that is what is the explanation.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1105316/1/index.htm

vonbrandingo
01-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Good luck on the search. I guess you may need to wait until spring training.

I hopes its a tribute to his grandfather just because it makes for a great story with the bat and his grandfather's middle name is charles. only religious inscription i had known before was the wwjd on albert pujol hats and albert is always praising God. is joe known for being religious?

this article really talks about his grandfather a lot and the magazine would be great supplement if that is what is the explanation.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1105316/1/index.htm

Thank you. And many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I don't know if joe is known for being religious, but if the bat was obtained in the training facility, it is unlikely or not at all used in regular season games, right? I hope to hear back from the ebay seller and get to the bottom of it. Thanks again.

joelsabi
01-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Thank you. And many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I don't know if joe is known for being religious, but if the bat was obtained in the training facility, it is unlikely or not at all used in regular season games, right? I hope to hear back from the ebay seller and get to the bottom of it. Thanks again.

in that article, the grandfather was a spring training and was complaining of chest pains. not sure the year tho of the article.

Grandpa Jake thinks his grandson will improve on the offensive side too. "When the Twins drafted Joe, I said he was going to be your next .400 hitter," he says. "Maybe not this year, but when he develops, and he sees different pitchers coming around and knows what the hell is going on, Joe Mauer is going to hit .400."

Thanks in part to Joe, Grandpa Jake may be around to see such a feat. While vacationing in Fort Myers, where the Twins hold spring training, in January, Grandpa Jake missed a tee time and complained of chest pains when he spoke with Jake Jr. When Joe and Jake III, who were staying at Joe's condo nearby, found out, they brought over the Twins' doctors, who persuaded Grandpa to go to the hospital. Within two hours Grandpa was undergoing emergency quadruple bypass surgery. "If it hadn't been for my grandsons, I would probably be passed away," says Grandpa. "They gave me another life."

I will leave it to all of you Mauer collectors to figure this out

joelsabi
01-16-2010, 09:03 PM
in that article, the grandfather was a spring training and was complaining of chest pains. not sure the year tho of the article.

Grandpa Jake thinks his grandson will improve on the offensive side too. "When the Twins drafted Joe, I said he was going to be your next .400 hitter," he says. "Maybe not this year, but when he develops, and he sees different pitchers coming around and knows what the hell is going on, Joe Mauer is going to hit .400."

Thanks in part to Joe, Grandpa Jake may be around to see such a feat. While vacationing in Fort Myers, where the Twins hold spring training, in January, Grandpa Jake missed a tee time and complained of chest pains when he spoke with Jake Jr. When Joe and Jake III, who were staying at Joe's condo nearby, found out, they brought over the Twins' doctors, who persuaded Grandpa to go to the hospital. Within two hours Grandpa was undergoing emergency quadruple bypass surgery. "If it hadn't been for my grandsons, I would probably be passed away," says Grandpa. "They gave me another life."

I will leave it to all of you Mauer collectors to figure this out

so perhaps the concern for his grandpa was the reason for the inscription.

vonbrandingo
01-16-2010, 09:45 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160388678101&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Heres the auction. Its doesnt state that he obtained it in spring training, but I was told that by him through emails about the item when it was active. You have my word on that.

The seller batbyproducts responsed to my query and said he acquired it along with other bats when Mauer was at the Ft. Myers complex for a short rehab. Andy Benish told me the same thing today. Thanks for bringing this up.

By the way, throughout all of this and in my past dealings with Andy Benish, he has been a professional and a pleasure to work with. Now I need to think it over and decide whether I want to keep this bat as it was (most likely) used not just in regular season games.

vonbrandingo
01-16-2010, 09:55 PM
so perhaps the concern for his grandpa was the reason for the inscription.

That's very likely it. Nomarmauerfan, if you can, please ask Joe about the inscription at spring training. It would be great to learn its exact meaning.

joelsabi
01-16-2010, 09:56 PM
I'd still take Mike's generous offer and let him ask joe about the bat. Joe has to recall this bat just because of that inscription. he should remember if he put it there or not.

nomarmauerfan
02-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Just bumping this so that I can find it on my phone. If Joe is at camp on Thursday, I will show him the pic and ask him about the inscription. So, bear with me if I bump it a few times to keep it where I can find it. Thanks.

Mike

vonbrandingo
02-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks a lot Mike!

nomarmauerfan
02-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Joe's in the Twin Cities right now. He's supposed to get back here on Sat. I'll ask him when I see him...if I can get through all of the people. There were 100 graphers for about 6 major leaguers today...CRAZY!!!

Mike

nomarmauerfan
02-24-2010, 08:36 AM
I just talked to Joe about 5 minutes ago. I showed him the photos of the bat and the inscription. Sorry to say, it is not his bat. He was 100 percent sure.

Mike

MLB_Authentic
02-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Thats what I figured. I was just trying to think of any possible reason for it. It has never appeared on any other legit Mauers.

vonbrandingo
02-27-2010, 03:54 PM
I just talked to Joe about 5 minutes ago. I showed him the photos of the bat and the inscription. Sorry to say, it is not his bat. He was 100 percent sure.

Mike

Hey Mike, thank you very much for clearing this up. I really appreciate your help.

Rod

MLB_Authentic
02-27-2010, 08:24 PM
So this begs the question. If Andy sold it as a Mauer game used, and we now know it isnt. What is he going to do about it?

nomarmauerfan
03-01-2010, 07:48 AM
I just want to say that I spent 45 minutes talking to Andy last night (about this bat and others). Andy refunded Rod's money a while ago (as soon as it was brought into question). Andy is a class-act and I was very impressed with his knowledge and his willingness to share information.

Mike

vonbrandingo
03-01-2010, 11:46 AM
I just want to say that I spent 45 minutes talking to Andy last night (about this bat and others). Andy refunded Rod's money a while ago (as soon as it was brought into question). Andy is a class-act and I was very impressed with his knowledge and his willingness to share information.

Mike

That is correct, he did refund my money and I agree with your other statements. I will definately work with Andy again.

Rod

MLB_Authentic
03-01-2010, 12:25 PM
I thought thats what he may do, and I applaud him for it.