PDA

View Full Version : OT: Why do we collect?

joelsabi
01-15-2010, 12:02 PM
I collect old comic books also. On a forum I frequent for comic books there was a thread that ask why we collect comic books and i tweaked the questions so that we can answer them here. The survey had some great responses and some collectors had some great stories.

Thought it would be nice exercise to see what makes us tick as collectors and get to know more about other members here.

1) What do you collect?
2) Why do you collect?
3) Do you display your collection?
4) Are you collecting to complete or will you always add on to it?
5) Would you buy an item just because you know other collectors would be impressed by it?
6) What would make you quit collecting?
7) Do you collect something because it will increase in value in the future?

1) What do you collect?

I collect baseball memorablia of Alex Rodriguez and David Concepcion, two great Latino shortstops.

2) Why do you collect?

It makes me relax and I love baseball. I dreamed of being a professional baseball player when I was in little league and played and traded baseball cards with neighborhood kids. I like to reminisce about times when we were kids and had no worries in the world. It calms me.

I am in the process of setting up a display in the extra room in our home. I plan to display 2 bookcases worth of stuff. Just painted the room dark green to my wife’s displeasure. For now the room stays green for awhile but will seek her advice the next time I paint. what was i thinking. :D

I have a list of items I want and then if I complete it, I am done and will just enjoy it. I will then just buy to upgrade an item.

5) Would you buy an item just because you know other collectors would be impressed by it?

No. I buy what I like. I do not collect for anyone else. If I was the only one to see the collection I would still be happy. Some collectors only show interest in certain parts of my collection or a single item in my collection. I am fine with that. That’s how it should be.

If I had financial problems or if it got in the way of my relation with people I love. Also, if my collection was ever stolen, I would quit too and make it my new hobby to hunt down the thief. :mad:

Since my stuff are in the modern day era, I really don’t see the investment value in collectibles. In fact, sometime I will overpay by a little to get an item into my collection. That is far from being prudent for future profits margins

CampWest
01-15-2010, 12:44 PM
1) What do you collect?
Mostly game used bats, primarily my hometown team - the Royals, but also concentrating on some of my favorite players throughout the years.

2) Why do you collect?
For fun primarily. I ported my collecting habits over from baseball cards. I just enjoy the uniqueness of bats, player characteristics, etc. Its a detailed nuance of the game thats always fascinated me.

Yes, I have some items on display.

I don't have an end goal target. I have players I want an item of and other players I am willing to hoard. I imagine there will always be something out there that I want.

No. Thats the least of my concern. I know guys that did that in card collecting and I never tied my self-worth into having a material item to impress people. I'm not a big believer in the adage, "The suit makes the man".

If I lose a passion for it. I struggle a bit with collecting guys that maybe turn out to be jerks or felons. Most of the players I target are guys I think it would be cool to drink a beer with and are moral and ethical people. I don't generally follow players I think are jerks, felons, etc. I dunno, I've been collecting sports stuff since I was a kid, its part of who I am... I may someday shift focus on collecting other stuff like WWII memorabilia, antique cameras, or whatever, but I'll probably always collect something.

I used to prospect in baseball cards, primarily to offset the cost of the hobby. Game used equipment I do more for enjoyment. I have next to no turnover in my game used equipment, whereas I was constantly acquiring and selling in cards. I don't want to lose a ton of money, but I'm not in it to make money.

BULBUS
01-15-2010, 01:13 PM
1) What do you collect?
Game used NY Giants jerseys and hopefully someday, helmets, and
game used Yankees jerseys, bats, and baseballs.
2) Why do you collect?
For fun. I started when I was about 10. My Aunt would take me to
Giants games and I would wait for the players to come out after the
game and I would collect autographs. I didnt pay for my first
autograph till I was about 18, a Mickey Mantle autographed baseball
from Home Shopping. I started collecting game used about 7 years
ago.
Most of it. I'm working on displaying the rest.
I think as long as I'm able (financially), I will be adding.
No, I collect what I like, players I like.
Nothing really. I collect what I can afford, whether its an expensive
game used bat, or a free autograph.
No, I'm a bargain hunter. I hope its worth more than I paid when I
buy it :D

dcgreg25
01-15-2010, 01:40 PM
1) What do you collect?
I collect Cleveland Indians (1980-present) Cleveland Browns and Notre Dame primarily as well as some Washington Redskins. I also collect Kenny Lofton GU jerseys.

2) Why do you collect?
Mostly to relax and take my mind off of work and other stress in my life.

Yes, I display about ten percent of my collection. I am trying to expand that.

I think I will continually add on to it. My goal of having a Lofton GU jersey from each team he played for may someday be completed but even if it is I will probably still add to it.

No. I collect for my personal enjoyment and while I sometimes like to share my additions on the board it is typically because I am excited about an addition and this forum is one of the few places that understands what it means.

Financial hardship, boredom, health issues. There are a lot of things in my life that would make me quit that I prioritize above collecting. Collecting is important to me but there are several other things in my life that are more important (family, health, etc).

I think every collector would like their collection to be worth more than they paid for it. While I love getting a good deal, I find the items I have purchased outside of my core interests because they were a good deal tend to sit in my collection unappreciated.

I do not have any illusion that when I sell my entire collection I am going to get more than I invested in it but there is some comfort in knowing that there is a ready market for GU items and they can be monetized if needed.

bigtruck260
01-15-2010, 01:44 PM
1) What do you collect?

Cardinals players 1990-1999 (With a Pujols in there)

2) Why do you collect?

It brings me joy as an adult - the way collecting cards did as a kid...hopefully, it will be a way for me to bond with my son as he grows older.

Yes. it's in the office.

My buying can go from 'busy' to non-existent. I am always looking.

Not at all. It's nice that people like your stuff, but kind of goes against how I live my life.

There are priorities far and away more important than collecting. If the bills are not being paid or someone I love needs something, CYA.

I try to keep future value in mind for higher end pieces ONLY when buying something over $300. It has been my experience that $300 is a threshold for many of the guys in the era I collect. I certainly don't want to buy a JD Drew bat for $300 when there is no way I can re-coup that amount if I needed to sell it.

yanks12025
01-15-2010, 02:25 PM
1. What do you Collect?
-I collect pretty much anything, but i love game used bats of players who played during the 1920-60's. And i also collect things dealing with the Yankees.

2. Why do you collect?
- I enjoy holding the items that make up the game.

3. Do you display your collection.
-Yes

4. Are you collecting to complete or will you always add on to it?
- I'm always looking to add.

5. Would you buy an item just because you know other collectors would be impressed by it?
- In a way yes and no, i would enjoy being able to show off an item and others just saying wow or something.

6. What would make you quit collecting?
- Running out of money or just moving on from the hobby.

7. Do you collect something because it will increase in value in the future?
- This question kinda makes me look at what im today when dealing with collecting. I have noticed that lately im more about buying an item if i know its worth alot and then reselling it, so with that profit i got, i would use it to expand my collection in other ways.

dcrules01
01-15-2010, 02:33 PM
1) What do you collect?

Mets players from the late 70's early 80;s Youngblood.Zachary.Flynn and Generation K from the mid 90's Izzy,Pulse and Paul Wilson.Also Colorado Avalanche authentic jerseys from the 90's.

2) Why do you collect?

To remind me of days past when I was younger.These are the players I followed.

Yes. In my bedroom my wife enjoys it lol.

Always looking but I have tightened up the budget and limited myself to certain players.

No...

Health issues or job issues.I have sold a lot because of my wifes health the last couple years. Family comes 1st .

Investment is fun but I think you are missing the point of the hobby if all you do is collect to make money.The items I own I am very passionate about.

5kRunner
01-15-2010, 02:58 PM
1) What do you collect?
Cubs game used bats. Mostly 1980's era. I do have one jersey and a pair of cleats, but I find bats more interesting.

2) Why do you collect?
Fun. It takes me back to when I was a kid watching the guys I collect.

I have one(:() bat rack up in our basement with plans to add another.

Right now my collection is on pause. But when I start up again I'm going to try to limit myself to a list of specific bats. As one is crossed off, I'll probably add another.

I enjoy when my Dad and brother come over and check out my bats, but I still only buy what I like. Some of my favorite bats, they didn't look twice at.

I've told my wife, if we need the money, the bats are first thing to go. I thought I was at that point a few weeks ago. But, I'm gonna hold out as long as I can.

I've made purchases knowing if I had to sell it, I could do so and make money. But, my goal isn't to make a profit. Its to enjoy my collection.

LastingsMilledge85
01-15-2010, 04:15 PM
1) What do you collect?
Current Mets, try to get a jersey per year or if they have a throwback or something. Lastings Milledge and things hard to come by the intrigue me for a reasonable price like the Expos jerseys I got from their final season, Shea Stadium seats, final season at Shea base and pink Bradley bat. Someday I would like to add a few Packers jerseys and a helmet.

2) Why do you collect?
I love baseball jerseys, though I never wear them I like how they look and the different designs. I also am a big Lastings Milledge fan so I like collecting what he used, and I like how it looks.

My bedroom which is a newer finished basement has all my items on display.

Will always add until I can no longer find any Lastings Milledge items. I will always be adding different novelty Mets items and other things that are unique and cheap.

Not really, if someone is impressed by it than, that's a bonus.

If I ever meet Lastings Milledge and he is a jerk to me than I would stop and get rid of what I have of his which would be almost my whole collection, and there's no other player I really look to collect so I would be sort of done with it.

No, I think it's safe to say that Lastings Milledge is not a player to invest in, I do it because he is my favorite player and interesting player.

flota89
01-20-2010, 05:13 PM
1) What do you collect?
Current St. Louis Cardinals bats and items, mainly Colby Rasmus. Looking to start a Brendan Ryan bat collection.

2) Why do you collect?
I love baseball, and I think game used things are the closest you can get to the game.

My bats are all displayed in my room along with various autographs.

I would love to have over 10 Rasmus bats, but after I get those i'm sure it still won't be complete.

No

Any serious issue, mostly ones where I would need money.

No and yes. I want what I collect to retain it's calue, but I don't sell anything.

gingi79
01-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Ok, I'll play along

1) What do you collect?
Sami Salo jerseys, Matt Diaz jerseys, Top Tier Braves and Canucks Items, anything that really catches my eye. I sold off the majority of my last collections (comics, cards, toys, die cast) and I have cut down to my favorite 5/10 items from each.

2) Why do you collect?
I was always interested in jerseys. As I got older, it went from replica to authentic to game worn. You can't get any more "real" than game worn. Having a 2 Salo jerseys that I saw him play in, is pretty cool. One was from my wife's first Canucks game so it become more meaningful than just a used shirt.

My old collections were initially to impress others to some extent and I was a kid so I can admit it. Having guys impressed that you own The Incredible Hulk #181 (First appearance of Wolverine) or Steve Yzerman's rookie card, makes you feel special when you are 14. As we grow up and learn everyone else opinion doesn't matter, we (hopefully) switch to the things we like and are meaningful to us.

I owned a die cast Dale Earnhardt Jr of every paint job he drove and had some prestige for it. Some were really valuable too. Then Action (the company that makes them) REISSUED all the valuable ones. Unlike a game worn jersey from a rookie season, a first printing of a comic or a rookie card, reissues and originals have no real differences in die casts. Most people just want to get the paint job for their collection. Luckily, I knew this and sold off my collection before the reissues came out. Now cars that sold easily on eBay for $500 in 2002, sell for $81 if you are lucky. The experience really reiterated the concept "Things are worth what you can sell them for, not what a price guide or you buy them for."

Yep. My best item is in a jersey case. I have a few jerseys on the wall and pucks, balls and gloves on the shelves. The rest is neatly folded and put away for when I can setup my man cave. :D

I hope to one day complete the player collections. However, as long as my teams keep playing, there will always be another guy to collect. Plus, the guys I grew up loving will one day be available at a price I can afford.

If it fits the collection and I can afford it, I go for it. I'll admit having people say "Wow, awesome shirt!" or "Damn, look at that son. A real......" do make me feel happy. My player collections are pretty extensive and even if you don't like my player, most people are impressed by the diversity. I don't think I would buy something because someone else thinks it's cool but it's still nice that people are impressed by my hobby.

Losing interest in jerseys. I can see myself trimming the fat down to just the Diaz and Salo (and my Bure) Obviously if my wife or I needed the money to survive, almost nothing would be "Not for Sale"

I have purchased items because they fit the collection and they were cheap. I also haven't purchased things that would be great because they were nowhere in the realm of market value.

I was burned by Jeff Francoeur when I purchased on "potential" resale value. Now I have 3 and couldn't sell all of them together for the price I purchased the first one for.

On the flip side, I bought the rarest Jimmie Johnson Die Cast Rookie car for $30 during his first Winston Cup season, knowing full well he would be something. It still sells around $150. The $500 I turned down for Dale Jr's Daytona 500 win? Yeah sells at $50 so...... whoops!

xpress34
01-20-2010, 06:09 PM
1) What do you collect?
Over the years I have collected coins, 1st day covers, cards, comics, memorabilia and vintage toys. NOW, I still collect some cards, vintage memorabilia and just got back into comics including autographed art.

2) Why do you collect?
I too love baseball and there's something about owning a piece that was used, signed, etc by a HOFer or your favorite player.

Yes... although my basement is unfinished, I have made it very usable by adding a large piece of carpet and 3 and 5 shelf bookcases from Wal-Mart as well as my mannequins, show cases, etc.

Certain parts I collect to complete (card sets - or 'player sets'... Jersey, Hat, AU Ball, Bat, etc) but I am always adding when certain pieces present themselves.

No. I have built and purged my collection many times as it is always an evolving thing - but I never buy to impress... unless it's an item I want to own anyway.

Family, Health Issues, Monetary Issues, etc. I've completely purged twice before (divorce from 1st marriage and staying out of bankruptcy)... ultimately, I realize it's just stuff.

Yes and No. Yes because I want to be able to leave my son something of value (my mother and grandmother sold EVERYTHING of value in our family when 'antiquing' became vogue in the '70s and '80s) that he can keep and pass down or sell - his choice. He's not into baseball, but I do educate him on what is what and the value, etc. No because some things I collect just because I like them - regardless of their potential future value.

All the best -

Chris

frikativ54
01-20-2010, 06:30 PM
1) What do you collect?
I collect Jeff Bagwell game used items, such as bats, cleats, game-ready fielder's gloves, jerseys, and pants. Also, I collect oddball items, as well as rare and unique Bagwell baseball cards. There are a few other players' whose stuff I have, but due to lack of finances, I have to limit my collecting to my favorite former player.

2) Why do you collect?
I collect to be closer to a game where I've always felt like an outsider. My idol, Bagwell, was able to do things I could never dream of, and collecting has brought me closer to his achievements.

Yes - My collection is displayed in my room back home in Mercer Island, Washington. Whenever I'm off at college, I think about selling my collection. However, when I get home, I realize why I have put time and energy into this game-used hobby.

I will always be adding to, subtracting from, and changing my collecting focus, as new items interest me. I would never say that my collecting is ever done.

Of course, I never buy an item to impress other collectors alone. However, having something to show off to others is pretty cool, but I could never say that that's the only reason I'd make a purchase.

News that Bags had raped little girls, killed elderly people, and was among America's most wanted.

Nope. I collect entirely for sentimental purposes.

legaleagle92481
09-08-2010, 11:00 AM
1) What do you collect?

Jerseys, bats, vintage and celeb autograph checks.

2) Why do you collect?

For the challenge.
No.
Once I completed one collection I always moved onto the next.

Defintely have it is human nature to seek bragging rights.

I quit because of oversupply of items starting to rival cards and autographs back in the day, players get hot/cold so fast in terms of popularity which will decrease values and I was tired of being ripped off by the big companies. I am keeping a handful of items if chance arises may add a handful of others. But the vast majority of my stuff is sold or will be.

I did that but it seldom worked out that way.

yankees506
09-08-2010, 11:21 AM
1) What do you collect?

I collect Yankee items, mainly gu bats but some gu jerseys of modern stars and players from my youth, as well as quite a few autographs. my collection currently consits of players that are or where at one time yankees.

2) Why do you collect?

Its simply a really cool hobby and im proud its my chosen vice.

My collection is currently on display but not many people get to see it (maybe im paranoid) but some do get to see the madness.

I will always add, every gu item is unique and everytime i see a bat with more use or a nicer auto i want it.

This one is easy, i buy items i can afford and that i know will impress me when i look at it.

A hardship in my life would probably do it but collecting is in my blood, my first "high priced item" i bought when i was 15 was not a car or anything like that, it was a gu bat.

When i buy items the only thing im thinking is "man i hope when i have to sell this thing i can get close to my money back" call me cheap but retail today wont be retail tomorrow.

eisenreich8
09-08-2010, 11:34 AM
1) What do you collect?

Anything Jim Eisenreich (now starting to sell most of it off), Red Sox bats and jerseys of common players, Civil War CDV's (photos) and possessions of one particular Union infantry regiment, random die-cast NASCAR 1:24 scale cars, any design of a Red Sox organization MiLB jersey that I don't already have, other interesting MiLB jerseys, favorite handguns and various long-guns, a collection of hundreds of liquor nips that I have stashed away somewhere, other odds and ends.

2) Why do you collect?

Tangible connection to MLB and history

Most of it. Not paper that is light-sensitive. Not the guns.

Always adding on as there's no one thing I'm that passionate about that I would consider it "complete".

Once or twice. Not for any credit to self but I enjoy the "wow" factor of certain die-hard collector items.

I eventually get bored quicker or slower with most everything. I've filled out hard-to-find card subsets, autograph runs, etc., filled them out totally then resold all of it off.

Again, once or twice I got lucky (especially with Civil War-related items), but due to my offbeat collecting niches I usually lose money on everything I have collected and resold. My investments in other areas pay off well enough to make up the difference.

Thanks for the survey, Joel!

Dach0sen0ne
09-08-2010, 11:47 AM
1) What do you collect?

New York Yankees Autos, Yankees GU Bats, and Austin Jackson (former Yankees prospect) :(

2) Why do you collect?

I started long ago collecting baseball cards and it slowly spiraled out of control into game used.

NO, its all hidden in an my underground lair.

I always like adding new stuff, its always fun to track down the new "GEM" of your collection.

Nope, because what I like others may not. So, I mainly buy for my pleasure.

If my wife found out about my "collecting budget" ;)

No way, most of the time items don't hold value. Hot players can become cold players in a heartbeat. I'd rather take my chances in the stock market.

joelsabi
08-20-2012, 09:33 AM
we've had a lot of new members since this was asked. so i thought i would bump and see if other would please answer the questions. thanks in advance.

3arod13
08-20-2012, 10:19 AM
1) What do you collect?
Rookie and Rookie Autographed Baseball Cards; Alex Rodriguez Game Used Bats; and anything rare of Alex Rodriguez.

2) Why do you collect?
First it was sports cards as a kid. Stopped collecting in 1978 (When I joined the Navy), and later started back up around 1984, when I was stationed in Pensacola, Florida (found a baseball card shop there by accident, and got hooked again). Then came across a Juan Gonzalez game used bat, bought it, and got hooked on game used stuff.
Yes. My bats are all displayed on the wall in bat cases; along with pictures, and various autographed items.

Slowed down on collecting cards, but am continuously looking for that well-used, game used Alex Rodriguez items (glove is my “must have”)
No. It must be something I want
Don’t think I ever will ever quit. Slowed down at times, but the itch is always there. I love the surprise of that great find.

Yes and no. Sometimes I just love an item and buy it for the item; and something’s I buy with knowing it will have a potential increase in value.

coxfan
08-20-2012, 10:35 AM
This is a fun thread.

1) What do I collect? I love history and some sports, so I collect items of historic interest, in sports as well as other areas. That includes old literature as well as game-used, team-used, or stuff autographed by historically-interesting people and events. That also includes personal history; important things from my life.

2) Why do I collect? My general love of history.

3) Do I display my collection? No, I keep it protected from sunlight and pull it out only when interested.

4) Do I collect to compete? No.

5) Would I buy to impress others? No, but I like showing or discussing with friends or other collectors.

6) What would make you want to quit? Death, or systematic authenticity issues in an area.

7) Do I collect to get items that will increase in value? No, but some things (non-sports) I got in the 70's and 80's have increased a lot. So I keep a file for my heirs, so they'll know the significance and value after I'm gone. A lot of the history and significance of an item is forgotten when it changes hands, so keeping some records might help future owners.

3arod13
08-20-2012, 10:44 AM
1) What do you collect?
Rookie and Rookie Autographed Baseball Cards; Alex Rodriguez Game Used Bats; and anything rare of Alex Rodriguez.

2) Why do you collect?
First it was sports cards as a kid. Stopped collecting in 1978 (When I joined the Navy), and later started back up around 1984, when I was stationed in Pensacola, Florida (found a baseball card shop there by accident, and got hooked again). Then came across a Juan Gonzalez game used bat, bought it, and got hooked on game used stuff.

Yes. My bats are all displayed on the wall in bat cases; along with pictures, and various autographed items.

4) Are you collecting to complete or will you always add on to it? Slowed down on collecting cards, but am continuously looking for that well-used, game used Alex Rodriguez items (glove is my “must have”)

No. It must be something I want

Don’t think I ever will ever quit. Slowed down at times, but the itch is always there. I love the surprise of that great find.

Yes and no. Sometimes I just love an item and buy it for the item; and something’s I buy with knowing it will have a potential increase in value

Klattsy
08-20-2012, 08:13 PM
1) What do you collect?
Aussie Born Players Game Used items, Aussie Born players serialed numbered cards.

2) Why do you collect?
It started as cards when I was younger, then I discovered this forum and the joys of game used. My first thought was ti jump on Yankees items (as a fan) but Aussie players where more realistic in price.

Yes, bats on wall, jerseys/hats/boots in closet shelving, other general memorabilia on walls. Cards in folders.

4) Are you collecting to complete or will you always add on to it? Trying to get 1 of each item (i.e 1 hat, 1 bat, 1 jersey, 1 cleat) of each player. Will probably keep collecting even after that though!

Generally no, but if i'm impressed by it others would be in my niche. I do like people commenting!

We are hoping to start a family. That may cause a severe drop off. If anything drastic happened I would try and sell items, however I think the resale value on my items would be poor.

No. My wife constantly reminds me that these guys are no names and have no value. The fact that I buy them cheap means that I will have to sell them for cheap.

Cool thread.
Mark.

joelsabi
01-09-2013, 11:27 AM
we've had a lot of new members since this was asked. so i thought i would bump and see if other would please answer the questions. thanks in advance.

lots of new members lately bump

rogergoochman
01-09-2013, 04:39 PM
1) What do you collect?
Tigers game used and autographs, would love to add some Griffey, Thome and possibly a Giancarlo Stanton and Mccutchen.

2) Why do you collect?
I enjoy learning about the history of each piece.

Dont have alot of stuff yet but its displayed in our home office.

Will always add as of now. I havent fixed on collecting towards a goal or fixated on one player yet.

Not a chance. Its an expensive hobby to begin with, no way Im shelling out extra dough to show off

Finances

No, but it would be a plus:D