PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter GU batting glove

Mattingly85MVP
01-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Just looking for some expert advice on a Derek Jeter game used signed batting glove that was part of a steiner auction I won recently.
I've been able to pinpoint the year/circumstances Jeter used this particular model Nike glove- ca. 2008, and its one that he wore while playing in the field, the batting glove he wears underneath his mit.
The thing that concerns me are the two pieces of fabric...see photos...that are on the inside opening of the glove. My impression is, since I've purchased many a batting glove for playing ball over the years at stores, that these are part of the glove where the clear plastic tags go through which hold the gloves in place (usually on some cardboard) for store display on the racks.
My question is, wouldn't Jeter have a pair that didn't have these unnecessary pieces of fabric on his batting gloves? Does anyone else own a Jeter batting glove similar to this that still has those pieces on them?
I really don't want to make a big deal about this to Steiner Sports but I really could use some additional help with this.
Thanks very much

Lokee
01-15-2010, 03:11 AM
correct me if iam wrong but the piece of fabric you speak of can be seen in the first pic you have of jeter.

Mattingly85MVP
01-15-2010, 09:30 AM
the fabric is actually attached to the other side, opposite the velcro strap...so it would be on the other side of Jeter's wrist in the pictures I took of him, which unfortunately isn't visible

GoTigers
01-15-2010, 11:29 AM
I agree with Lokee, and it appears to be in the correct place too.

Mattingly85MVP
01-15-2010, 11:50 AM
I agree with Lokee, and it appears to be in the correct place too.

I noticed that too, thought it might have just been something else, but good call on that
Thanks for all the help guys
any one else out there have this type of GU glove? would love to see it

Also about the signature- anyone here think this signature from the one I posted here is better than this one with a slight smudge. Steiner originally sent me this other one, but as you can see the signature has that imperfection. I ended up returning it for the current one I have, not a fan of smudged looking sigs. Would you guys have kept it or returned it for another?

mbenga28
01-15-2010, 11:55 AM
isn't the one you currently have also smudged on the D?

Mattingly85MVP
01-15-2010, 05:51 PM
no, the pen seemed to have snagged on a little hole causing that extra bit of ink...the sig is not smudged though