PDA

View Full Version : 2009 World Series Game Used Baseball

sctizzle
11-29-2009, 01:32 PM
I just picked up from MLB, a Derek Jeter hit baseball from game 4 of the World Series. It is MLB authenticated as his rbi single from game 4. This was Jeter's only RBI of the WS and is his 9th RBI. Does anyone know if MLB was authenticating specific hits in any other WS that the Yankees were playing in? I am curious if this is the only WS rbi authenticated ball for Jeter. On the video there is a great shot of Blanton throwing in a ball during Jeter's AB. That hologram is the previous number to my hologram and was logged as a pitch in the dirt. Then Blanton gets a new ball and Jeter promptly singles to drive in a run. On the tape you can see Blanton look at the ball and throw it into the umpire. I really like this ball more because it was only hit by Jeter and no one else. In looking at the other authenticated hit balls, there were a bunch that were hits before or after a certain player. I like this one because I know the use is only from Jeter's hit.

My question to the forum is how many of you would get this ball signed by Jeter on the sweet spot? Or would you leave it as is? I plan on putting this in a shadowbox and I was thinking that if I could get the 8x10 of Jeter hitting the ball, that might be better to get signed.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ds0pdh.jpg

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/92601534.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D0675D77CC2BC0005C A0D9D21A86AD55A4E240E13A7734BF24
Image # 92601534

jetersbatboy
11-29-2009, 01:55 PM
I would get it signed, under the WS logo! That would be a great display.

BULBUS
11-29-2009, 02:48 PM
I would leave it as is. What if the signature bleeds or fades? That would take away from the ball.

-Chris

sctizzle
11-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Chris,

That was my fear. I don't know how the long term effects are on a game used ball with a signature...That is why I was thinking it would probably be best to get a photo of the hit signed.

I know Scott (jetersbatboy) told me he has had game used balls signed and they have come out great.

Does anyone else have any other pros/cons on getting game used baseballs signed?

Thanks,
Scott
sjnyr@aol.com

jetersbatboy
11-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Here's a couple of pictures(I sold the ball)

legaleagle92481
11-29-2009, 09:41 PM
You have a one of a kind baseball. The MLB Autentication program started in 2001 so noone but you has an authenticated baseball from a Jeter RBI in a World Series that the Yankees won. In my opinion the signature adds nothing to a baseball like that as there is no shortage of Jeter signed baseballs out there, game used or not. Having it signed will also cost you alot of money as Jeter only signs through Steiner private signings and they charge an arm and a leg for his signature on a customer's send in game used item and they will want your other arm and leg for an inscription denoting the historical significance of the baseball. By mailing it to Steiner you also run the risk of the item being lost or damaged in transit and all the insurance in the world cannot replace a one of a kind item. Also as others posted there is a risk of the signature bleeding, etc. causing damage to the ball. I think the baseball speaks for itself as is. I also think it would look awesome in a shadowbox with a signed 8 x 10 of the hit in question. But that is just my opinion and it comes down to a matter of personal preference.

STLHAMMER32
11-30-2009, 01:13 PM
I would leave the ball as it is, I think it displays just fine without having to fork over a wad of cash to have it signed...then there is always a chance the signature doesnt come out great and it may ruin the appearance of the ball...The only way I would spend the money and take the risk is if jeter would be willing to inscribe the ball something special, this would add more appeal to the ball and add a personal touch. If it were me i would display the ball with a picture of him hitting the ball either way...Great piece of history you have!

suave1477
11-30-2009, 01:20 PM
I personally would have it signed as I think it adds to the specialness of the ball but that is just my IMO.

The other thing to consider as another member mentioned, yes you will pay for an arm and a leg.

As far as bleeding and fading. IMO you would have less worry of that (not to say it can't happen) but is lesser chance since the ball does get a bit more dried out from the use and air from sitting out than a regular baseball that is sealed when you buy it retail.

indyred
11-30-2009, 01:28 PM
I would not get it signed. Ball is special enough as it is. But if for some reason you do get it signed. You get it under the World Series logo. While sweet spot is place to get regular signed baseballs. Always get World Series and All Star/Special logo type balls, under that logo and not on sweet spot.

pirates09
01-12-2010, 07:30 PM
I have a game used ball from the 2006 World Series. The ball was a foul ball during one of Albert Pujols' at bats. I was fortunate to secure an autograph ticket for Albert for the upcoming Winter Warm-Up. Would you have Albert sign it?

Albert is only signing balls and photos; no bats, jerseys, etc.

STLHAMMER32
01-12-2010, 07:32 PM
I have a game used ball from the 2006 World Series. The ball was a foul ball during one of Albert Pujols' at bats. I was fortunate to secure an autograph ticket for Albert for the upcoming Winter Warm-Up. Would you have Albert sign it?

Albert is only signing balls and photos; no bats, jerseys, etc.

Yes get that baby signed!

Manram
01-12-2010, 09:36 PM
I would get it singed

platinum1
01-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Of course you should get it signed.

tjm5711
01-12-2010, 10:03 PM
YES ! Get it signed ! Especially because he's not doing bats or jerseys. probably the greatest hitter of our Era on a World Series Game used item ? I wouldn't hesitate !

sox83cubs84
01-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I would get it singed

That gives new meaning to the term "Hot Stove league":p

Dave M.
Chicago area

AROD313
01-12-2010, 10:22 PM
I'd get it signed but do your research in pens and have him sign it with your pen. I've had bad luck with signatures on game used balls fading away after a few years. Had a really nice safeco field inagural game used ball signed by Arod and the signature is no longer there it just disapeared like a magic trick! Don't just use a normal ballpoint pen.

legaleagle92481
01-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Definitely get it signed if you already have the ticket why waste it on a generic ball or photo?

jetersbatboy
01-12-2010, 10:39 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=31219&highlight=Jeter+signed+ball+world

Almost the same!

legaleagle92481
01-13-2010, 12:18 AM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=31219&highlight=Jeter+signed+ball+world

Almost the same!

I didn't see the World Series used part I thought it just said it was a foul ball hit by him. I defintely would not get it signed it is a piece of history better to preserve it in its original state and having it signed is too risky and could ruin it if the signature bleeds or he has dirty hands when he signs it, etc. I would get an 8 x10 of him during that at bat try to get him to add a WS inscription and display it with the ball.

indyred
01-13-2010, 12:27 AM
Is the ball MLB authenticated? If so I would not get it signed.

I'd get a nice 16x20 and have him sign it.

platinum1
01-13-2010, 03:30 AM
Is the ball MLB authenticated? If so I would not get it signed.

I'd get a nice 16x20 and have him sign it.
I think your wrong.
The ball is different from others just because its from the World Series
and has the Gold logos.
He knows its authentic and shouldn't really care what anyone else would think.

Manram
01-13-2010, 10:35 AM
I think your wrong.
and has the Gold logos.

I have to agree

stlbats
01-13-2010, 12:27 PM
I have a Cal Ripken Jr. foul ball that I got him to sign, and like Tony said for whatever reason, it is almost completely faded away. It has been kept in a UV case, not in any light the whole time.

That said, it is a GU ball, I would probably get it signed. I dont know what other type of pen besides ball point would be good on a ball though. Definately use a blue ball point, not black.

Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

suave1477
01-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Without question have it signed. Imagine having a Game Used Baseball from a Yankees World Series signed by Babe Ruth. Far more valuable than a photo signed.

Also as another member suggested use a blue ball point pen. Not black.

STLHAMMER32
01-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Agree Suave, Even a more recent example would be look at a game used ball from the World Series of 09 and then look at a game used world series ball signed by jeter. The price difference is the answer.

indyred
01-13-2010, 01:41 PM
I think your wrong.
and has the Gold logos.

Yeah, if it is not not MLB authenticated I would get it signed then. Nice keepsake from the game.

Is the ball MLB authenticated?

STLHAMMER32
01-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Yeah, if it is not not MLB authenticated I would get it signed then. Nice keepsake from the game.

Is the ball MLB authenticated?

I am not sure what difference it makes if the ball is mlb authenticated? Anybody want to sure what the negative side would be of having an mlb authenticated WS foul ball signed by the man who hit it?

rj_lucas
01-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Will he sign a game-used ball at the Warm Up? My understanding was he is only signing photos and new, unused baseballs, since game-used equipment falls under his contract with UDA. I could be wrong about that.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

joelsabi
01-13-2010, 02:53 PM
I have a 1998 Jackie Robinson Commemorative game used baseball signed by Alex Rodriguez and its barely present any longer. I bought it like this. Is there a reason why a game used baseball will not hold up as good as say a baseball right out of the box? I have it totally out of the light since I bought and it does not seem to have deteriorated any further.

To answer you question. I would have him sign it on the sweet spot but if I display it I would have the WS logo facing the light. It would also depend on the cost of getting it signed.

suave1477
01-13-2010, 03:12 PM
I have a 1998 Jackie Robinson Commemorative game used baseball signed by Alex Rodriguez and its barely present any longer. I bought it like this. Is there a reason why a game used baseball will not hold up as good as say a baseball right out of the box? I have it totally out of the light since I bought and it does not seem to have deteriorated any further.

Usually if it is signed on a Game Used Ball it holds up a lot better than a ball out of the box. Possibly the reason for your ball is since it was used for a specific game maybe they used a poorer quality leather for those balls since they were just made for one game. Just a thought.

joelsabi
01-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Usually if it is signed on a Game Used Ball it holds up a lot better than a ball out of the box. Possibly the reason for your ball is since it was used for a specific game maybe they used a poorer quality leather for those balls since they were just made for one game. Just a thought.

i have a signed game used baseball that looks perfect from 1996, so maybe the previous owner had it displayed in the light or maybe, as you said, maybe its the quality of the leather. i will take a look at it when i have the chance. thanks

stlbats
01-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Will he sign a game-used ball at the Warm Up? My understanding was he is only signing photos and new, unused baseballs, since game-used equipment falls under his contract with UDA. I could be wrong about that.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

I have never seen/heard of it being an issue before. I would think since its a ball he will sign it. Probably not a bad idea to have a back up plan though, you never know with him. I have never read anything specifying new, unused baseballs.

Jason

STLHAMMER32
01-13-2010, 03:47 PM
I have never seen/heard of it being an issue before. I would think since its a ball he will sign it. Probably not a bad idea to have a back up plan though, you never know with him. I have never read anything specifying new, unused baseballs.

Jason

Since it is a baseball I believe he will sign it but I know he hates nothing more than thinking someone is a dealer looking to turn profit so it just depends on what kind of mood he is in.