PDA

View Full Version : New eBay Scam

skipcareyisfat
06-20-2006, 08:36 PM
I just received an email from someone from the UK letting me know that they had just sent payment and was eagerly waiting for the laptop they purchased from me to arrive. I've never sold a laptop on ebay. I looked up the item number on ebay (separate browser) and it does show a recent transaction for a laptop being sold by someone in the UK. However, the winner bidder is not the same guy who emailed me.

I was about to send an email telling him that he somehow emailed me by mistake. When I clicked on the ebay response link in the email, it opened up an ebay sign-in page. It happens that I had logged onto my ebay account about 20 minutes earlier. But, when I clicked the link, it told me that my session had expired. I don't recall ever having seen that before on ebay. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm thinking that, had I logged on via that link, someone would've been able to steal my password. Anyway, thought I'd give a heads up.

BTW, has anyone else had that happen to them?

Jason

flaco1801
06-20-2006, 08:59 PM
yes just happened this week. i sent it off to spoof@ebay.com next time, go to your ebay page and check for messages there.

stew609
06-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Bottom line, if an eBay email looks suspicious, and has a link associated with it, it is probably bogus.

otismalibu
06-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Or you can always check your eBay messages thru the My eBay link on any eBay page.

ham1963
06-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Jason,
You might want to change your E-Bay password if you tried to log on via the e-mail's link.

skipcareyisfat
06-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Luckily, I didn't try logging in via the email link. It's probably a good time to change my password anyway. Otis, you're right about checking those through the main site. I'm going to start doing that.