PDA

View Full Version : Frankie Frisch bat orders

jboosted92
06-20-2006, 04:05 PM
from the 1920s and 1930s. if anyone has them..

Thanks

Any 40k ledgers?

MSpecht
06-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Hi--

Here is the info on Frisch:

In the H & B record ledgers from 1920 to 1929 (except 1924), models and orders for Frisch routinely measured 34.5 inches,35 inches, and 36 inches in length, and weighed between 36 and 40 ounces.As these orders predated the use of model numbers, entries are referenced by a player's name and date that a specific model was made for that player, such as a Bill Kamm 5-17-22 model, or His (Frisch) 5-26-21 model. References can sometimes be looked up on the surviving H & B bat diagrams which specify all dimensions of that bat, including length. Additionally, some entries are even more difficult to figure out such as Harry Heilmann's order on 2-23-28 which reads:

"2/23/28 / Old Elmer Smith 5-1-23 / ; M. Shea, Use Ernie Vick 7-31-24 / 34 - 37 oz.

When H & B went to Bat Cards for record keeping, the entries remained basically the same until the revolutionary use of model numbers in the early 1940s.Throughout the 1930s, Frisch's orders remained consistent as to lengths and weights he used during the 1920s. Ultimately, the models attributed to Frisch received model numbers of F40 (His 5-26-21) and F53 (His 8-17-28), although one of his favorite models ultimately became Chick Hafey's H4.

There are no specific ledgers for 40K bats. There are few (very few) references to orders of 40k Kork Grip bats in the ledgers records of Hall of fame players. There is one reference for Babe Ruth on 4/10/23 which reads: "Tom Griffiths 8-9-21 Kork Grip". Other Hall of Famers with references to these bats in their records include Travis Jackson and Joe Sewell. Suffice it to say that there were infinately more 40K bats made available to the public than ever made it into the hands of Major League players, and any such bat authenticated as a Major League professional model bat should be looked over very closely and hopefully comes with compelling provenance. The suggestion of widespread use of 40K bats in the Major Leagues is not supported by H & B documentation.

Good luck in future collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

jboosted92
06-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the info. I know there are pictures of players with Kork Grip bats, including Joe Jackson and Ty Cobb. I have also heard that there is a picture of Eddie Collins holding one as well, but I agree with the notation. They are a rarity, and hand-turned- player spec'd ones are tough to come by...

ghostkid
06-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I know there are pictures of players with Kork Grip bats, including Joe Jackson and Ty Cobb. I have also heard that there is a picture of Eddie Collins holding one as well, but I agree with the notation. They are a rarity, and hand-turned- player spec'd ones are tough to come by...

Please let me know if anyone knows where I can find the picture of Eddie Collins holding a 40K bat. I have an Eddie Collins 40K with a hand-turned knob in my collection, and I sure would like to get a copy of the picture to put with the bat.

Mike, I understand and agree that one should not automatically assume all 40K bats were made for professional use. However, what's your opinion about 40K bats with hand-turned knobs versus those whose knobs are stamped with inch marks?

Thanks,
Kevin